New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: The Wandering Inn

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    K is "King of Destruction", and all the characters surrounding him. The letters used to denote a specific character ("K" was ALWAYS Flos' specific perspective), but as the scope of the story grew, they grew to encompass all the characters associated with a specific plotline.

K is now all of Flos' vassals and plots, D (for Doctor) is the entire United Nations Company rather than just Geneva, E (for Emperor) is everything going on in Riverfarm and the surroundings instead of just Laken, etc.

Some of the new ones have gotten muddied (eg. T for Teriarch is ALSO also Trey's perspective much of the time), but the old ones from back when the system started are consistent.

It's why I typically skip a few updates and wait for the backlog to build sometimes. I can't stand Flos and his cronies, so I bank K chapters until I can just binge through to more good content most of the time.
    Thanks for that clarification. So, by that, another k could be Flos himself, Teres, Mars (probably not, she doesn't usually have a POV), another character in Flos's enourage or
    Spoiler
    Show
    a return to Amerys situation
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-01-21 at 12:12 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Thanks for that clarification. So, by that, another k could be Flos himself, Teres, Mars (probably not, she doesn't usually have a POV), another character in Flos's enourage or
    Spoiler
    Show
    a return to Amerys situation
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is almost certainly going to be an ending to the Save Amerys plot. No idea if they succeed or not but this is the finale of it for sure.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is almost certainly going to be an ending to the Save Amerys plot. No idea if they succeed or not but this is the finale of it for sure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, you were right that it continues, but it didn't end this time.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, you were right that it continues, but it didn't end this time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea, pirate was explicitly up front about this being the end of that arc but I'm never certain who around here is also on the discord/patreon or who hangs out in the discussion/podcast chat server.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I started this series a few weeks ago, I am on book 5 chapter 30 now. So far my favorite faction are the ZergAnts, least are probably Laken and Ryoka. Laken is essentially just Flos but from Earth so far, and Ryoka is an informed genius who is a complete moron. It does keep her out of Mary Sue status, with her being a genius and unbeatable athlete, but my lord does she make persistently dumb choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I started this series a few weeks ago, I am on book 5 chapter 30 now. So far my favorite faction are the ZergAnts, least are probably Laken and Ryoka. Laken is essentially just Flos but from Earth so far, and Ryoka is an informed genius who is a complete moron. It does keep her out of Mary Sue status, with her being a genius and unbeatable athlete, but my lord does she make persistently dumb choices.
    Hey! Nice to have you join us. The We Hate Ryoka club meet's on Tuesdays but
    Spoiler: Minor Spoilers
    Show
    is currently on hold as she did eventually start taking levels in [Person] we promise. Laken is uhhhhhhhhhhhh more complicated.
    Anyways you should check out the official discord it's more active for sure and we also have a new fan run podcast that's is talking about the series from Book 1 that you can check out on your preferred podcast medium.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hey! Nice to have you join us. The We Hate Ryoka club meet's on Tuesdays but
    Spoiler: Minor Spoilers
    Show
    is currently on hold as she did eventually start taking levels in [Person] we promise. Laken is uhhhhhhhhhhhh more complicated.
    Anyways you should check out the official discord it's more active for sure and we also have a new fan run podcast that's is talking about the series from Book 1 that you can check out on your preferred podcast medium.
    This feels like a good club and I am happy to be part of it.

Spoiler: Laken and Ryoka's meeting
    Show
    That might be my favorite "what the heck Ryoka" scene of the whole series so far. Ryoka has separate rants about not wanting to enable white colonizers or modernize warfare, so she helps Laken, a self-proclaimed white emperor from Earth, build siege weapons he immediately starts selling to nobles. He then mustard gasses Rags as his first non-self defense act of war. Way to go Ryoka.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

This feels like a good club and I am happy to be part of it.

Spoiler: Laken and Ryoka's meeting
    Show
    That might be my favorite "what the heck Ryoka" scene of the whole series so far. Ryoka has separate rants about not wanting to enable white colonizers or modernize warfare, so she helps Laken, a self-proclaimed white emperor from Earth, build siege weapons he immediately starts selling to nobles. He then mustard gasses Rags as his first non-self defense act of war. Way to go Ryoka.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Laken's BS at least makes sense in context. His only interaction with goblins had been when they tried to slaughter him and everyone he knew and only really had what other people had told him to go on that they were monsters like any more. Given all that context I at least can kind of understand what he had going on there. Also in many ways the area he is taking over is so out of the way that it's barely even ruled or acknowledged by anyone anyone and his presence is doing a ton to help people out. Ryoka though, she really honestly thought that because someone else had trebuchets that that meant they were a perfectly normal known technology in the setting. The sheer unadulterated arrogance of her on multiple levels here was staggering.
    Spoiler: Very Minor Ryoka Spoilers
    Show
    You go the rest of this book without her though and when the story does pick her back up she is more tolerable then before for me at last.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Laken's BS at least makes sense in context. His only interaction with goblins had been when they tried to slaughter him and everyone he knew and only really had what other people had told him to go on that they were monsters like any more. Given all that context I at least can kind of understand what he had going on there. Also in many ways the area he is taking over is so out of the way that it's barely even ruled or acknowledged by anyone anyone and his presence is doing a ton to help people out. Ryoka though, she really honestly thought that because someone else had trebuchets that that meant they were a perfectly normal known technology in the setting. The sheer unadulterated arrogance of her on multiple levels here was staggering.
    Spoiler: Very Minor Ryoka Spoilers
    Show
    You go the rest of this book without her though and when the story does pick her back up she is more tolerable then before for me at last.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ryoka gets better and then the author abandons her development several times, so I'm not surprised. I could do without her forever though honestly.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Ryoka definitely gets better over time. Der Fuhrer remains one of my least favorite characters in the series, just behind Flos and all of his lackeys.

Spoiler: Minor Spoilers for new Patreon chapter, no details
    Show
    When 8.64K is out for everyone else I'll gripe more about that last bit.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ryoka gets better and then the author abandons her development several times, so I'm not surprised. I could do without her forever though honestly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Ryoka's development never gets abandoned, it's more an issue of her struggling to put what she knows she needs to do to be better into practice when she clearly has unspecified mental illness.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Ryoka
    Show
    In the abstract, I like that Ryoka's character development isn't quick and easy. Understanding things like "I have an anger problem" and "I push people away so hard that it hurts both me and them" doesn't translate to instantly being able to change those things.

...That being said, I do find her tedious to read about sometimes.

Spoiler: Laken
    Show
    It's funny, in a series that started out subverting Isekai litRPG tropes, Laken plays a lot of them more straight? Overpowered class, technology shortcuts, hot half human girlfriend...

I think of him as the Classic Power Fantasy Isekai protagonist, where Erin is the Domestic Fantasy Isekai Protagonist and Ryoka is obviously the Supernatural Harem Isekai Protagonist.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2022-01-26 at 07:18 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Spoiler: Ryoka
    Show
    In the abstract, I like that Ryoka's character development isn't quick and easy. Understanding things like "I have an anger problem" and "I push people away so hard that it hurts both me and them" doesn't translate to instantly being able to change those things.

...That being said, I do find her tedious to read about sometimes.

Spoiler: Laken
    Show
    It's funny, in a series that started out subverting Isekai litRPG tropes, Laken plays a lot of them more straight? Overpowered class, technology shortcuts, hot half human girlfriend...

I think of him as the Classic Power Fantasy Isekai protagonist, where Erin is the Domestic Fantasy Isekai Protagonist and Ryoka is obviously the Supernatural Harem Isekai Protagonist.
    If we needed to rank who is what Isekai protag...
    Spoiler: All Books Spoilers!
    Show
    Trey is the classic Isekai protag. Sent to another world and if you squint and tilt your head while looking at everyone he hangs out with he has the classic Isekai Harem setup. Laken is more the modern Isekai like How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom which is like a whole sub genre of kingdom management stuff.

I will say that it never stops subverting Isekai though, it just can be somewhat subtle about it at times but ultimately this is Isekai without the power fantasy. Even when characters are winning or doing insane Isekai protagonist things the story never lets them sit on it for long or skip out on all the blowback and tragedy of even cleanest of wins.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hey!

I found this while searching for a new audiobook : I am now near the end of book 3 and I quite like the story, but the thing that hooked me in is the narrator : Andrea Parsneau IS awesome.
    sans Ordre, rien ne peut exister. sans Chaos, rien ne peut évoluer.
    Nothing can exist without Order. Nothing can evolve without Chaos.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Anadonna View Post
    Not only for You!
    Was that supposed to mean anything?

No I'm not on patreon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, now she's free. Price may have been a bit high.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

There's two important things about Laken that make him more sensible.

Spoiler
    Show

1. He accidentally made a deal with Tamaroth at some point early in his travels. Selling your soul (even inadvertently) to that being probably has some serious effects.

2. There's a heavy indication that the [Emperor] class is twisting his mind to be more ruthless and imperious. It is one of the ways the author is not-so-subtly indicating that there is something Very Wrong with the class and level system.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talieth View Post
    Hey!

I found this while searching for a new audiobook : I am now near the end of book 3 and I quite like the story, but the thing that hooked me in is the narrator : Andrea Parsneau IS awesome.
    YES she is excellent. We are supposed to have her on as a guest at the podcast sometime soon but she is recording this month and suuuuper busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    There's two important things about Laken that make him more sensible.

Spoiler
    Show

1. He accidentally made a deal with Tamaroth at some point early in his travels. Selling your soul (even inadvertently) to that being probably has some serious effects.

2. There's a heavy indication that the [Emperor] class is twisting his mind to be more ruthless and imperious. It is one of the ways the author is not-so-subtly indicating that there is something Very Wrong with the class and level system.
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Potentially, I think him simply being human and ****ing up because he doesn't have all the information we have makes more sense for his mistakes.

2. Ehhhh classes really don't work that way. It isn't mind control so much as it is the system rewarding specific behaviors creating perverse incentives.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2022-01-27 at 01:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I like Dureen (but not her name, horse STIs are not good, though Wikipedia doesn't seem to know it now), and thus Laken.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm wondering what is going to happen with Lutz, because something obviously will.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

I like Dureen (but not her name, horse STIs are not good, though Wikipedia doesn't seem to know it now), and thus Laken.
    I dunno, if you like Dureen I could see a strong argument for liking Laken even less. He does not IMO do right by her. He comes off as one of those people who treats his SO like a child he can legally have sex with.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno, if you like Dureen I could see a strong argument for liking Laken even less. He does not IMO do right by her. He comes off as one of those people who treats his SO like a child he can legally have sex with.
    I do agree they don't have a super healthy dynamic although I'm not sure I consider that either of their faults, and I've heard a lot of things said about Laken, but dead gods that has to be one of the weirdest I have ever heard thrown his way. Like, damn, that's extreme. I gotta ask you elaborate there?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I have to say that your third sentence makes me really uncomfortable.

I do not feel that Laken is abusive of Dureen, that's subjective to me I suppose.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

I have to say that your third sentence makes me really uncomfortable.

I do not feel that Laken is abusive of Dureen, that's subjective to me I suppose.
    He really isn't. She has some issues with being too co dependent on him resulting from the way he had to push so hard against the awful racist situation she had been living in and him being sort of the first person to even see her as a person in her life as far as we can tell, but it isn't like he did it on purpose. He himself was a disabled man thrown into a fantasy world with no support structure who got super super lucky to find someone as compassionate and caring as Durene and it looks like a big part of her arc will eventually be asserting herself more and making decisions other then the ones she thinks Laken would want.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Abusive? Not overtly. Exceedingly manipulative? Yes. And he infantilizes her while he does it. That is my entire meaning.

Their dynamic is closer to parent and child than boyfriend and girlfriend. She idolizes him, views him as essentially perfect, and does anything he says.

He, on the flip side, seems...fond of her? I guess? In a really distant way. Like a pet, almost. But a really useful one he can point and click to solve problems that require brute force and not much else.

Their whole dynamic is icky.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Abusive? Not overtly. Exceedingly manipulative? Yes. And he infantilizes her while he does it. That is my entire meaning.

Their dynamic is closer to parent and child than boyfriend and girlfriend. She idolizes him, views him as essentially perfect, and does anything he says.

He, on the flip side, seems...fond of her? I guess? In a really distant way. Like a pet, almost. But a really useful one he can point and click to solve problems that require brute force and not much else.

Their whole dynamic is icky.
    You are correct in that she idolizes him too much and that that kind of thing is not healthy for a relationships but I'll just say nothing your are saying about his motivations, actions, or feelings is remotely supported by the text.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

You are correct in that she idolizes him too much and that that kind of thing is not healthy for a relationships but I'll just say nothing your are saying about his motivations, actions, or feelings is remotely supported by the text.
    Except that Lady (I forget her name) wants to be Laken's wife and will given any chance at all push Dureen aside, but she's a monster herself, and Laken is almost certainly going to reject that pretty hard.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

I think it is pretty well. I can't think of a single time he's really concerned himself with her feelings. Even when she's clearly distraught, he typically brushes her concerns aside.

He shows the same level of emotion toward her as he shows Frostwing much of the time. Vague fondness and often mild exasperation.

Pirateaba has shown they know how to convey strong emotion, and love particularly, to the reader. That is not conveyed in Laken's chapters. Very few strong emotions of any sort are portrayed in Laken's perspective; it takes a lot to crack his overall aloofness and actually make him feel anything besides anger that his territory is being trespassed on (his most common emotion).

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Did anyone care about Hectval?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Did anyone care about Hectval?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh absolutely. It won the vote afterall. It wasn't my vote though. I demand more Rabbit Eater at all times. I had been looking forward to getting these chapters eventually though.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hectval, no. Olesm and Pawn, yes. I was really hoping Pawn would have a change of heart and push back against the militarization of the religion once he saw how it was affecting the army, but it seems that is not to be.

At first I thought that we were moving toward a big clash between Erin and the Antinium when she comes back and sees all this, but I have to admit that an army of templars is probably going to be pretty useful for stopping the end of the world. It still seems like it's going too far, and has to end badly at some point...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Alright I finally caught up.

Spoiler
    Show

At this point I think there are profoundly too many characters. When Adeltyr and Gire started becoming perspective characters I groaned. Sure we never get Tom chapters anymore, and multiple sets of characters have disappeared for nameless reasons, but why don't we keep adding in new people who need 10,000 pages.

I am okay with some of them, we needed the Death of Chain's perspective for the Demons. But I could do without adding in Cara, or the math guy.