New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: The Wandering Inn

Well, 9.07 was much more like it.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

I've enjoyed volume 9 a lot so far. I wasn't against the idea of sidelining Erin, but I feel like it wasn't handled the best and volume 8 felt kinda meandering and bloated. Her return is a real breath of fresh air, and I like that it's not just a return to status quo either, despite her best efforts.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been liking volume 9 a lot too, it really does feel like a nice change of pace (or maybe return to form). Having a break also helped. I wasn't sure if I would like it, since I was feeling a bit burned out by the end of volume 8, but it's been going well!
    Last edited by Eurus; 2022-07-20 at 09:26 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I've enjoyed volume 9 a lot so far. I wasn't against the idea of sidelining Erin, but I feel like it wasn't handled the best and volume 8 felt kinda meandering and bloated. Her return is a real breath of fresh air, and I like that it's not just a return to status quo either, despite her best efforts.
    So I think the real issue with bloat was the Gnoot. In one of the key downsides of web serial writing, Pirate found himself stuck having this massive looooong foreshadowed event with tons of moving parts and characters that was meant to play a key role in the climax of the volume... and virtually no one had been introduced yet. The comparison I think I used on the podcast was comparing it to if the battle for Liscor at the end of volume 5 had tried to introduce almost every goblin in the story in that same book. Everything else felt relatively tight, if sometimes padded, because Pirate had to make sure events were timed properly relative to one another. I could have used more Ser Solstice myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    I've been liking volume 9 a lot too, it really does feel like a nice change of pace (or maybe return to form). Having a break also helped. I wasn't sure if I would like it, since I was feeling a bit burned out by the end of volume 8, but it's been going well!
    Volume 9 has been dropping bangers one after another. I think Pirate forcer herself to be more concise and keep word count down has helped, as has a schedule where she has been taking extra time off working on side projects instead of trying to write books while she writes books.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.