A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Avatar D20 Project] Creatures of the Avatar world

As Levi hasn't posted in a while, I'll take over again.

This is the Avatar D20 Project creature thread. I'll update the list as people send me information / posts / links to finished products, and I promise to work as much as I can on the creature section.

I deleted the creatures that people are unlikely to fight (I can't imagine anyone deliberately attempting to gain xp from killing a turtle duck), but they're still listed in post 4. If people want to stat up the omitted animals, post them and I'll readd them to link them.

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2008-07-23 at 09:25 AM. Reason: adding critters
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

Follow me on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar Project] Creatures of the Avatar world

Um, guys...

I also have a few other creatures in the works and a list of already-existing monsters that can be used as presented in the SRD, either with only flavor changes or with only minor crunchy changes. Sometime soon I'll post the details.

Mephibosheth
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

hehe...heh...saber tooth mooselion.

Some of those are just ridiculous, but I may try my hand at making some. Interesting stuff.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lightbulb Minor Creatures of the Avatar World

Edit: As I, unfortunatly, do not have the time to admister this thread any longer, I've reduced the list of creatures in this post to those not included in the OP.

Thanks to the nice folks over at Avatar Spirit, here's a list of the creatures that have appeared on Avatar. I've linked up the ones that already have stats.

• Blue Jay
    • Butterfly
    • Chicken Pig
    • Clam
    • Cow Pig
    • Firefly
    • Flying Beetle
    • Giant Fly
    • Green Catfish
    • Hamster
    • Hermit Crab
    • Koalaotters
    • Meadow Voles
    • Penguin
    • Possum Chicken
    • Purple Pentapus
    • Rabbit
    • Raven Eagle
    • Scorpion
    • Sheep Pig
    • Singing Groundhogs
    • Sparrowkeet
    • Toucan-puffin
    • Tree Chameleon
    • Turkey Duck
    • Turtle Duck
    • Turtle Seal
    • Two Headed Fish
    • Wood Frog

My advice is that nearly everything on this list should use the animal or vermin type. The exception being creatures with natural bending ability, which should use the magical beast type and dragons, which, clearly, should use the dragon type.

Another exception would be the Winged Lemur. Momo is clearly sentient, which would imply he's not of the animal type. (Heck, I'd suggest he even has class levels of rouge or something similar.)

A template of some sort should be made for spirit creatures. It would proably change the type to outsider, but the base type of the creature it's applied to should be as normal for the type of creature it is.

For some reason, the Canyon Crawlers are written up as a magical beast, but I can't think of anything that justifies this. They are proably better represented as vermin.

I'm going to work on updating the Badger Moles and the Flying Bison to use the Version 2.0 Bending rules.
    Last edited by levi; 2008-02-05 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Removed creatures listed in the OP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Hmmm, a lot of those seem like existing animals/vermin with different fluff. (For example, the screaming bird: take a bird, say it looks poofy, give it a scare-type ability, and you're done!)

And I say that Momo is a Beast, not an animal. (What? Where'd the animal with 3 intelligence go? 'Beast' actually existed, and isn't a sleep deprived hallucination, right?)I'm still sane...

I present the mostly useless Screaming Bird (mostly yoinked from the raven):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Screaming Bird
    Size/Type: Tiny Animal
    Hit Dice: Ό d8 (1 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
    Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-13
    Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2-5)
    Full Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2-5)
    Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Unearthly Wail
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
    Skills: Listen +5, Spot +7
    Feats: Alertness, Ability Focus (B)
    Environment: Temperate Marsh
    Organization: Solitary or Pair
    Challenge Rating: 1/6
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: —
    Level Adjustment: —

An echoing scream splits the air, setting your hair on end. Clutching your weapon in a white-knuckled grip, you frantically search for the source of the sound, but the only creature you see is a mottled white bird with ruffled, puffed up feathers.

Unearthly Wail (ex): As a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, a screaming bird can spread its beak wide to emit a shriek that sounds like a woman screaming. All creatures that can hear the screaming bird must make a Will save (DC 12) or become shaken. Creatures that are looking at the screaming bird when it uses this ability gain a +4 bonus on their saves. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same screaming bird's unearthly wail ability for 24 hours. Other screaming birds are not affected by other screaming birds' unearthly wail. This is a sonic mind-affecting fear effect.

(The only problem with this is that long term residents of the swamp (watebenders, etc.) would have to make saves every day, which doesn't make much sense fluffwise. You'd think they'd get used to it...)
    I'm not up late. I'm completely fine. It's only 3:38 in the morning. *sleep deprived stare*
    Last edited by Xiagu; 2007-11-19 at 03:39 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Here's my list of creature equivalences for the Avatar world. Note that this list is not complete. I excluded many of the creatures I thought wouldn't be appropriate encounters for PC's, and I haven't finished writing the list up formally. My intention is to complete this list with full stat blocks where necessary and with brief suggestions and changes were possible. Let me know what you think.

Armadillo-Lion (CR 3) – An Armadillo-Lion is the statistical equivalent of the Lion, except as noted below.
    • Defensive Curl (Ex)
      As a standard action, an Armadillo-Lion can curl up into a ball, presenting its armored back to the outside world. The Armadillo-Lion gains a +10 bonus to its Natural Armor while curled. An Armadillo-Lion can move as normal (including taking double move and run actions and making overrun attempts) while curled, rolling over the ground on its back. However, it cannot attack or take any other offensive actions while curled.

Boar-Q-Pine (CR 6)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Animal
    HD: 9d8+27 (67 HP)
    Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)
    Init: +4
    AC: 15 (-1 size, +6 Natural Armor); touch 9; flat-footed 15
    BAB: +6; Grp: +19
    Attack: Gore +14 (1d8+12)
    Full-Attack: Gore +14 (1d8+12)
    Space: 10 ft.; Reach: 5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Ferocity, Quills
    Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent
    Saves: Fort +10 Ref +6 Will +4
    Abilities: Str 27, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 8
    Skills: Listen +9, Spot +9
    Feats: Weapon Focus (Gore), Improved Initiative, Alertness, Power Attack
    Environment: Temperate Forests
    Organization: Solitary or Herd (5-8)
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 10-16 HD (large), 17-21 HD (huge)
    Level Adjustment: –

Combat
    Ferocity (Ex) – A Boar-Q-Pine is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.
    Quills (Ex) – A Boar-Q-Pine’s back is covered with sharp quills that damage those that strike it. A creature attacking a Boar-Q-Pine with a natural weapon, unarmed strike, or non-reach melee weapon take 1d6 damage from the quills. In addition, foes who take damage from the quills must make a Reflex Save (DC 19, Constitution-based) or have 1d4 quills stuck in their flesh. Creatures stuck with any number of quills take a -1 penalty to attacks, saves, and checks until the quills are removed. Creatures removing a quill without a successful DC 20 heal check (a full-round action) take an additional 1d6 damage.

Buffalo-Deer (CR 1) – A Buffalo-Deer is the statistical equivalent of a Heavy Horse

Buzzard-Wasp – Dire Bat (CR 2) - probably needs some advancement

Dragon-Fly – Giant Wasp (remove poison, replace stinger w/ bite attack, increase damage to 1d6) (CR 3)

Giant Beetle (CR 4) – A Giant Beetle is the statistical equivalent of a Giant Stag Beetle.

Kimodo Rhinoceros (CR 4) – A Kimodo Rhinoceros is the statistical equivalent of a Rhinoceros.

Ostrich-Horse (CR 2) – An Ostrich-Horse is the statistical equivalent of a Heavy Warhorse, except as noted below.
    • As a two-legged creature it does not gain a bonus to checks to avoid being tripped or bull rushed, to blocking overrun attempts, or to its carrying capacity.
    • An Ostrich-Horse's skill modifiers are as follows: Jump +17, Listen +2, Spot +2

Platypus-Bear (CR 4) – A Platypus-Bear is the statistical equivalent of a brown bear.

Sabre-Toothed Moose-Lion – Dire Tiger (add Gore attack – 1d12 damage) (CR 8)

Wolf-Bat – Wolf (fly speed, 60 ft, avg. maneuverability) (CR 2)

I also have plans to homebrew Mongoose-Dragons and Unagi/Sea Serpents, but I haven't had time to act on those intentions yet. I'll probably get to it this weekend.

Mephibosheth
    Last edited by Mephibosheth; 2007-12-01 at 10:13 AM.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by levi View Post
    For some reason, the Canyon Crawlers are written up as a magical beast, but I can't think of anything that justifies this. They are proably better represented as vermin.

I'm going to work on updating the Badger Moles and the Flying Bison to use the Version 2.0 Bending rules.
    I used the Magical Beast type primarily for the higher HD and better saves. I'd be happy to change it to animal, if we feel the need.

I also don't necessarily see the need to update Badger Moles and Flying Bison to Version 2.0. They both have very limited bending capabilities, and wouldn't really gain much from ranks in Bending skills. I don't have a problem with an update occurring, but I don't think it's necessary.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
    Armadillo-Lion (CR 3) – An Armadillo-Lion is the statistical equivalent of the Lion, except as noted below.
    Defensive Curl (Ex)
    As a standard action, an Armadillo-Lion can curl up into a ball, presenting its armored back to the outside world. The Armadillo-Lion gains a +10 bonus to its Natural Armor while curled. An Armadillo-Lion can move as normal (including taking double move and run actions) while curled, rolling over the ground on its back. It cannot attack while curled.
    Can it make bull rushes or overrun attempts while curled up? It seems perfectly reasonable to be bull rushed by a big armored ball...

Boar-Q-Pine (CR 6) – Dire Boar
    *snip*
    Quills (Ex) – A Boar-Q-Pine’s back is covered with sharp quills that damage those that strike it. A creature attacking a Boar-Q-Pine with a natural weapon, unarmed strike, or non-reach melee weapon must make a DC 19 Reflex Save or take 2d6 damage from the quills. The Same DC is Constitution based.
    What about adding the lodging property of Howler quills?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Obviously, the guy who made the Owl Bear showed up sometime in the Avatar's world and didn't know when to quit.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

On the Armadillo Lion, I'd give it some natural armor in untucked form- those plates have to be good for something when it's unrolled.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Someone also suggested a modular system for making Spirit monsters. I just want to get Koh's stats so I can have one of my player's PCs get his face eaten. (Although what are the effects of face eating? From what I've seen, it doesn't cause blindness, deafness, muteness...just freakiness.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xiagu View Post
    Hmmm, a lot of those seem like existing animals/vermin with different fluff.
    True. But I really like the creatures of the avatar world, so even if this portion of the project mostly consists of saying to use the stats of existing creatures, possibly with some modifications, it's a nice addition.

And I say that Momo is a Beast, not an animal. (What? Where'd the animal with 3 intelligence go? 'Beast' actually existed, and isn't a sleep deprived hallucination, right?)
    Beast was removed in the transition from 3.0 to 3.5. I belive the reasoning was that it was unclear whether a given creature should be an Animal, a Beast, or a Magical Beast. In Momo's case, in 3.0, Beast would have been correct. In 3.5, Magical Beast should be used instead, because his Int is clearly of approximatly human levels. (Athough his Wis is proably low. Sometimes he seems to have no common sense.)

RE Screeming Bird

The only problem with this is that long term residents of the swamp (watebenders, etc.) would have to make saves every day, which doesn't make much sense fluffwise. You'd think they'd get used to it.
    Well, you could allow for not having to save after seeing the screaming bird do it's thing N number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    I changed the OP to link to levi's post so he can run it.
    Thanks. I'm honored.

I used the Magical Beast type primarily for the higher HD and better saves. I'd be happy to change it to animal, if we feel the need.
    Actually, I'd think they'd be vermin. It's not really important, I'm just a stickler for using the proper creature type when statting something.

I also don't necessarily see the need to update Badger Moles and Flying Bison to Version 2.0. They both have very limited bending capabilities, and wouldn't really gain much from ranks in Bending skills. I don't have a problem with an update occurring, but I don't think it's necessary.
    It's not that it's really required, it's just that I'm a bit of a pendant and would like to use the ruleset consistantly. I'd also like to develop a consistant framework for natural bending so that all such creatures use similar mechanics (somewhat like spell-like abilities in standard d20).

RE Armadillo Lion

Can it make bull rushes or overrun attempts while curled up? It seems perfectly reasonable to be bull rushed by a big armored ball...
    I agree completely.

RE Boar-q-pine

Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    On the Armadillo Lion, I'd give it some natural armor in untucked form- those plates have to be good for something when it's unrolled.
    This is a reasonable suggestion. How much NA do you think they're worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane View Post
    Someone also suggested a modular system for making Spirit monsters. I just want to get Koh's stats so I can have one of my player's PCs get his face eaten.
    Well, in the case of spirit animals, I'd suggest a template that turns them into an outsider. In the case of things like Koh, I'd suggest that they be built as outsiders from the start. I have some ideas percolating about this topic and may post something sometime if no one else beats me to it.

13. - Top - End - #13

I don't have a problem with allowing overruns, though bull rushes seem improbable for a rolling creature. Bull rushing seems like it would require more pushing and intentional action than a rolling armadillo-lion can muster.

I'm ok with adding the lodging property. I'll make the changes.

On the spirit creature discussion I want to urge caution. We don't really know anything about the spirit world or the inhabitants thereof. I think we should wait until we learn a bit more about it before jumping to conclusions and drafting all sorts of content.

Mephibosheth
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Badger-Mole (Version 2.0 Bending Rules Draft)

Huge Magical Beast (earth)
    HD: 7d10+35 (75 HP)
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares); Burrow 30 ft.
    Init: +5
    AC: 15 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +6 Natural); touch 10; flat-footed 14
    BAB: +7; Grp: +22
    Attack: Claw +14 (2d6+7)
    Full-Attack: 2 Claws +14 (2d6+7)
    Space: 10 ft.; Reach: 5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Natural Earthbender (Move a Rock, Earthquake)
    Special Qualities: Tremorsense (60 ft.), Blindsight (60 ft.), immunity to gaze attacks, Music Lover
    Saves: Fort +10 Ref +6 Will +4
    Abilities: Str 26, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 6
    Skills: Skills: Earthbending +10 (+20 tremor), Listen +18, Hide +1 (+5 underground), Move Silently +1 (+5 underground)
    Feats: Form Mastery (tremor), Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus (claws)

Environment: Any Underground
    Organization: Single, Pair, Troop (3-6)
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 7-10 HD (huge), 11-14 HD (gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment: --

Badger-Moles are powerful subterranean creatures capable of impressive displays of Earthbending. They are large creatures with powerful digging claws on all four paws. Their fur is typically brown with black and white stripes running from the tip of their nose to the end of their short tail. They are largely blind, but are able to sense the location of creatures through a variety of other senses, including their keen hearing and their ability to sense tremors in the earth.

Combat

Badger-Moles are territorial creatures that will attack aggressively when their territory is invaded. They try to ambush their foes, digging stealthily through solid earth before bursting out of the ground. Their claws are powerful weapons, and they often employ their Earthbending abilities to control the battlefield.

Natural Earthbender – Badger-Moles have access to the Move a Rock and Earthquake earthbending seeds.
    Music Lover – Badger-Moles love music, and can be calmed by playing music of any sort. This functions exactly as a Bard’s Fascinate ability, except that any character with ranks in Perform can calm a Badger-Mole.
    Skills – Badger-Moles have a +8 racial bonus on Eathbending checks, a +6 racial bonus on Listen checks, and a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks made underground.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares); Burrow 30 ft.
    Natural Earthbender – Badger-Moles have access to the Move a Rock and Earthquake earthbending seeds.
    They looked much more to be using the Excavate Seed than to burrow with their claws to my taste.
    Last edited by Guyr Adamantine; 2007-11-20 at 11:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strongarm Warrior: An actually worthwhile Monkey Grip-focused PrC!
    Guyr Adamantine Avatar by Tomb Raven.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Buzzard-Wasp – Dire Bat (CR 2) - probably needs some advancement

Dragon-Fly – Giant Wasp (remove poison, replace stinger w/ bite attack, increase damage to 1d6) (CR 3)

Platypus-Bear (CR 4) – A Platypus-Bear is the statistical equivalent of a brown bear.
    Why not use the Giant Wasp for the Buzzard-Wasp, and the Dire Bat for the Dragon-Fly? (note that I haven't looked these up)

Maybe the Platypus-bear could have a Swim Speed. Platypuses are aquatic animals.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

About the 'Dragon-Fly':
    Maybe it could even be a Pseudodragon, sans poison tail and with insectile wings.

About Spirit Templates:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth
    On the spirit creature discussion I want to urge caution. We don't really know anything about the spirit world or the inhabitants thereof. I think we should wait until we learn a bit more about it before jumping to conclusions and drafting all sorts of content.
    Hmm, well I think that we can't go wrong by giving them the outsider type and the ability to use plane shift 2/day...

The way I envisioned is like a normal template, and DMs can choose a certain number of special attacks/qualities (the ghost template's special attack system comes to mind) for the spirit creatures.
    Potential list of things to choose from:
    • Multiple forms (Hei Bei as panda/giant spirit monster thing) (Isn't there a monster that has two forms? (besides the Barghest))
    • Probably a fair number of special abilities. (Breath weapon, swallow whole, evasion/improved evasion, frightful presence, etc.) (If every spirit creature has multiple forms, then some of these might only apply to the sprit monster thingy form)
    • Something like +10 to one ability score or +20 to any skill/save or doubled speed for one round, as a swift action. (Think Hei Bei's sudden burst of speed, but extrapolated to everything else)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guyr Adamantine View Post
    They looked much more to be using the Excavate Seed than to burrow with their claws to my taste.
    The conversion from the 1.0 version to the 2.0 version was a minimalist conversion. In any event, I think that it doesn't matter. Their burrow speed and thier tremorsense could both be reworked to use earthbending, but that would make them more complicated to run without any real change.

Flavor wise, they earthbend to burrow. (In most cases, I'm sure they could just dig if they felt like it.) The DnD rules for a burrow speed are rules only. Flavor wise, a variety of methods for moveing through the earth are all simply classified as burrow speeds. In this case, they happen to earthbend.

I don't figure the change is worth it becaus I converted them such that they can take a 10 on thier Earthbending checks and do all the stuff that the 1.0 version could do. While they are slightly more versatile now, they have to roll (and risk a failure) to go beyond what they had before. If I changed their burrow speed to use of the escavate seed instead, they'd just take a 10 all the time. I don't see the point.

19. - Top - End - #19

Now, without further ado, I present, the long-awaited...

Sea Serpent

Colossal Magical Beast (Aquatic)
    HD: 20d10+200 (300 HP)
    Speed: Swim 60 ft
    Init: +4
    AC: 21 (+0 Dex, -8 Size, +19 Natural Armor), Touch 2, Flat-Footed 21
    BAB: +20; Grapple +55
    Attack: Bite +36 (4d8+22)
    Full Attack: Bite +36 (4d8+22)
    Space: 30 ft; Reach: 20 ft
    Special Attacks: Constrict (4d6+22)
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Low-Light Vision
    Saves: Fort +25, Ref +12, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 41, Dex 10, Con 30, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6,
    Skills: Hide +4 (+12 in water), Listen +10, Move Silently +4, Spot +9, Swim +23
    Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus (Bite), Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Snatch, Improved Grapple (B)
    Environment: Any Aquatic
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 16
    Alignment: TN
    Advancement: 21-30 HD (Colossal)
    Level Adjustment: –

Combat
    Completely at home in the water, Sea Serpents prefer to approach their prey unseen. Once their prey is within reach, they rear up out of the water to either bite down aggressively or wrap their steely coils around their target.
    Constrict – On a successful grapple check, a Sea Serpent deals 4d6+22 points of damage

Please please please let me know if you think the CR is appropriate. He was originally higher, but I really don't think this creature merits a CR of 18 or 20. I may be wrong though, so let me know what you think.

Also, Unagi will be forthcoming. It'll probably end up almost identical, but with a breath weapon of some sort...

Mephibosheth
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

I suggest adding special rules for wrapping around boats and other things, like the way the Dragon Turtle has rules for surfacing under a ship.

21. - Top - End - #21

im am 99% sure the sea serpent has a water breath weapon as wel. the unagi could just be an advanced serpent.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Hmmm...

...no, the sea serpent doesn't have a breath weapon. Wait... ...weren't there stats for a sea serpent in a book somewhere? Sea Drake?

23. - Top - End - #23

yea, I checked the episodes I thought I saw it and it didn’t, could be the pilot episode but I don’t think so. My bad.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Ostrich-Horse (CR 2) – An Ostrich-Horse is the statistical equivalent of a Heavy Warhorse. However, as a two-legged creature it does not gain a bonus to checks to avoid being tripped or bull rushed, to blocking overrun attempts, or to its carrying capacity.
    I just noticed something: Shouldn't the Ostrich-Horse get ranks in Jump (as opposed to whatever the Heavy Warhorse has) or some kind of racial bonus on Jump checks? Because in #201, they jumped at least 15-20 feet. (See here. You don't really have anything to see how high they are, but maybe you remember that scene...)

25. - Top - End - #25

I have no problems with that. I'll make a note in the list.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Bumping the thread and I'm relisting creatures in the OP. I'm going to commence work on some things here.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

Follow me on Facebook!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, shouldn't we mention something about war-trained Kimodo Rhinocerouses? (Rhinoceri?) They would be proficient with armor (barding) and not need Ride checks to control in combat, as per the Ride skill.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

hey you guys completely left out the dragon hawk, I know it exists because my friend bought four small booklets tell about the Fire nation, the Water tribes, the Air nomads and the earth nation.

they look like skinney hawks with a more vicious looking beak and talons.

Also I dont know if this was avatar but didnt the Kimodo Rhinocerouses Shoot fireballs out of its mouth? it just seems like it did.

this is really neat I think I'll show this to a friend of mine who's dming a completely bender based campaign.
    Last edited by Ioth; 2007-12-22 at 06:17 AM. Reason: left something out

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Are you sure you aren't referring to the Messenger Hawk or the Raven Eagle?
    Images from AvatarSpirit.net

Now, comments on the Kimodo Rhinoceros:
    • They have long tails, while normal rhinoceros don't. They probably have a tail slap attack.
    • They have claws, while normal rhinoceros don't. They probably have a claw attack.
    • I don't recall them ever spitting fire, Ioth. If you have a picture or episode or something, please tell.

30. - Top - End - #30

I'd be completely fine with giving them a tail slap, and I'm sure a claw attack wouldn't be too outrageous. I think the tail slap is the only attack we actually ever see them using in the show.

Mephibosheth
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew