New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan II: Don't Be Clothed-Minded!

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Snout is just so... aimless. He doesn't really have any goal. He just goes with the flow.

Put a scrap of paper with part of a text in front of him? Okay, he'll go on a quest.

Put a naked lady in front of him? Okay, he'll have sex.

Put a box of food in front of him? Okay, he'll devour all its content.

He's only ever reacting. Never acting.
    Now that you mention it, I don't recall him ever refusing something. Be it even a deep dark cave of death in a creepy abandoned shack, he will climb into it and carry people out.

He did have a moment of doubt when he left his home, but I feel that it didn't work out too well because, as far as we could see, he wasn't leaving much.

Now, imagine if the comic had started out with him having a normal life, within a circle of friends,* and then having this weird wounded woman rock his normality. Then the woman leaves as his house is blown up and he has a chance to forget all about it and try to start again in the Edge, but he finds out that he can't't stop wondering about the woman (or an actual, serious reason why he had to look for her again: insurance purposes?). Finally he picks up and leaves, maybe with a friend at least for part of a journey so he has a goodbye moment to show that he is now really leaving it all. I think the result would have been a much more fleshed out character.

Instead, as far as we can see, early on Snout is an extreme loner, who only communicates with the librarian for purely professional reasons.

The one part that imho worked well is his post-coital sadness. That's some lucid reasoning about himself, his character, and his weaknesses, and it assumes that there were precedents, so Snout wasn't always the loner we saw at the start of the comic. It's a drop in the ocean, however, and I'm not sure it will lead anywhere.

*now that I think about it, this is the opposite of what Mookie has been doing: all of his main characters (DD, Danica, Snout) start out as unhappy loners who stare into objects all day long (ball, telescope, book) and gain relations over the course of the story. Danica and Snout look particularly similar, as they both mostly lack family relations and instead hang out with a trio of rather idealised friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, this page feels nostalgic. Just some classic bad art from Mookie. In panel 2, the orc clearly grabs Snout with his right hand, but in panel 3, he's shoving Snout with his left? And he's delivering that punch while standing perfectly straight. That's gotta be the weakest punch ever.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #63

Yep, it immediately reminded me of some ork running alongside someone to punch a target further away, maybe it was Melna. Very classic DD all right.

I am somewhat surprised that Snout, who is mute, tries to attract Arudak's attention by waving his arm, since he cannot see him. Maybe stomping his feet would have been more useful.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm the guy your wife was cheating on you with. That's why you're the a-hole who deserves to get punched!"

Seriously though, I didn't expect this to come up so soon. That seemed more like long-term foreshadowing. Now this all just feels a little pointless. Why bring up this deep, dark secret if it was just going to be resolved immediately?

Also, why did this guy only appear now, the day after Amtrak learned of his existence and not the, presumably, years before now? Did Lake Witch tip him off that American Express was in town?

Edit: Also also, how does Ink Witch know who he is?
    Last edited by Celestia; 2022-02-16 at 02:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65

Also, shouldn't they restrain him? I understand the shock, but Ink Witch is actually sufficiently on it to write a message to Snout.

Arudak probably can handle it (he's a wizard and can knok people out at will), but singling someone out and sucker punching him like that elicits some reaction, if only to distance the aggressor from the target.

Now that I think about it, did we ever find out how Ink and Arudak handled the Evil Wushu Master and the other Witch? Snout passed out, and that was it for that scene.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Also, shouldn't they restrain him? I understand the shock, but Ink Witch is actually sufficiently on it to write a message to Snout.

Arudak probably can handle it (he's a wizard and can knok people out at will), but singling someone out and sucker punching him like that elicits some reaction, if only to distance the aggressor from the target.

Now that I think about it, did we ever find out how Ink and Arudak handled the Evil Wushu Master and the other Witch? Snout passed out, and that was it for that scene.
    Isn't that when they got captured leaving Snout to go rescue them, but they ended up rescuing themselves off-panel and then came to rescue Snout after he got horribly lost because he's incompetent?

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Isn't that when they got captured leaving Snout to go rescue them, but they ended up rescuing themselves off-panel and then came to rescue Snout after he got horribly lost because he's incompetent?
    Yep, they told him they'd explain to him what had happen in Mongreltown, but they just showed him the character sheets of their enemies, and never told him how the confrontation ended after he passed out.

8. - Top - End - #68

Nice page. So Arudak wanted the right to devour flower people? https://www.dominic-deegan.com/wp-co...8_20210402.jpg

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Nice page. So Arudak wanted the right to devour flower people? https://www.dominic-deegan.com/wp-co...8_20210402.jpg
    It was scientific curiosity.
    Someone told him they taste like chicken and he always wanted to know how those "chicken" taste.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

So, what I'm getting so far, is that Avocado had a woman who was a strong loyalist. Then he joined the pure evil rebels (because who wants moral ambiguity?). This, naturally, led to them splitting up, and she moved on to someone else. Thus, there was no cheating involved; Long Hair Orc was simply her second love after dumping her first.

So how the f*** did All Spark not know she "loved another?" Is he just a dumba**?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, what I'm getting so far, is that Avocado had a woman who was a strong loyalist. Then he joined the pure evil rebels (because who wants moral ambiguity?). This, naturally, led to them splitting up, and she moved on to someone else. Thus, there was no cheating involved; Long Hair Orc was simply her second love after dumping her first.

So how the f*** did All Spark not know she "loved another?" Is he just a dumba**?
    Eh, maybe it will turn out those soccer guys were actually the good guys and were framed for most of their crimes.
    Exept the part about wanting to eat the Veggie-People. That is very much true.

12. - Top - End - #72

So Adirondack was a orc supremacist. Yawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Exept the part about wanting to eat the Veggie-People. That is very much true.
    It probably didn't help that these guys communicate by giving away edible parts of themselves.
    If she died after they split and he didn't have a chance to meet her again before her demise, it's not that strange. Being a past member of an insanely evil group of blood-drenched traitors probably made it hard to ask information about her to people they both knew, and he got punched as soon as someone in the city recognised him for a Seku. Although this leads to the question of how much the punch was born of political hate and how much it's personal and about the girl, since it's odd that, of all people, it's her lover to appear. But this is a story by Mookie, so one should not assume that everything is accounted for...

Still, I liked this page. What Snout seemed to accept as a father figure turns out to be just as bad as the Witch first described him, and even SHE had been won over in the meantime. And it leads to questions about how exactly he plans to save the girl, and whether she'd even want to be saved by him, assuming she needs to be saved. Plus, it put to use that little bit of worldbuilding we got.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

I really like that Mookie decided to challenge himself by making a comic without dialog balloons.

15. - Top - End - #75

I really like that Mookie decided to challenge himself by making a comic without dialog balloons.
    Now that you mention it

So Arudak was just a sympathiser. Not nearly as interesting.

16. - Top - End - #76

Yeesh, with is pretty weaksauce. What's the point of a deaf protagonist if you're just gonna obscure the action, such as it is, behind even bigger words than if you were using traditional speech balloons?

As for the "fight" between Armagnac and Ink Gin, it continues to be thoroughly uninteresting.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Yeesh, with is pretty weaksauce. What's the point of a deaf protagonist if you're just gonna obscure the action, such as it is, behind even bigger words than if you were using traditional speech balloons?

As for the "fight" between Armagnac and Ink Gin, it continues to be thoroughly uninteresting.
    He challenged himself, and won the challenge by introducing a character that can magically speed write everything to the protagonist, and has nothing better to do.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilsin? What a weenie name for an orc. Damn. So Armenia didn't just lose his wife to another orc; he lost her to an orc with an elf name. How embarrassing.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

God, I can't believe DD is getting a sequel...

You could do cool stuff with the concept of ink magic in a webcomic format - calligraphy, web-animated blotches/writing to give readers a sense of liquidity. Instead it's just a mechanic to subvert the comic's other interesting premise.

I really wish Mookie's takeaway after realising how gratuitiously he'd been depicting gore for shock value would've been to just moderate it, instead of deciding to gratuitiously use nudity and sex for shock value.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, apparently Lake Witch did tell him Ambivalence was in town.

By the way, "You did X! I hate you!" is such a childish way to say that.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no idea who is standing where or how they are moving. The two wide shots not only don't help; they make it worse! Albuquerque looks like he doesn't move at all, but he clearly does because he's standing in front of two different backgrounds. This page just makes no sense.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh, he didn't move. He moved the world around him.
    Or something equally nonsensical.

I'm more confused by Snout. Why does he suddenly leap back? I'd get it if Anduin was all "angry orc berserker will punch your face off" but the guy looks more thoughtful/pained/resigned, so it seems weird.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, he didn't move. He moved the world around him.
    Or something equally nonsensical.

I'm more confused by Snout. Why does he suddenly leap back? I'd get it if Anduin was all "angry orc berserker will punch your face off" but the guy looks more thoughtful/pained/resigned, so it seems weird.
    Oh, that part is easy to explain. Snout has the same black and white morality filter that Mookie, himself, has. Therefore, any implication that Alderman has been less than 100% good is cause for concern. If he did evil before, then he'll do evil again. Redemption doesn't exist.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I thought perhaps that was because Snout realised the lake woman was a mirage of the other guy's wife, so that made Snout an adulterer, which might get him punched.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I thought perhaps that was because Snout realised the lake woman was a mirage of the other guy's wife, so that made Snout an adulterer, which might get him punched.
    My first impression was that he is scared of Arudak, because he used the same open-hand technique that knocked him out. At least, that's what I would deduct from how the pages are arranged. Open hand hurts, Arudak uses open hand, Arudak could hurt me! So he takes a defensive pose and gets away. Which however would throw away all Snout knows about him, and have him act in a purely instinctive, irrational way.

Rationally, I assume that he is horrified by Arudak being in league with genocidal flower-dude eaters (he knows about them because he read of them earlier). Snout's defensive pose is the one you see in movies when the woman finds out that the man she loves actually is/was a bad guy whose deeds made him her enemy and feels fear and disbelief towards him.

I don't think it fits completely (the page order, the lack of a strong, immediate reaction to the news Arudak was a bad guy, and the fact that Snout doesn't have much of a personal stake in all of this and doesn't really know much about Orc history all make the scene less consistent), but I think it's what was meant.

EDIT: I just noticed that both the assaulter and the water nymph have had their fangs cut. I guess it means something; maybe it was a symbol shared by their group (since they refused to eat flower people), maybe it was imposed by their enemies as a punishment or torture or a negative mark during the war.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2022-03-04 at 11:34 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

My first idea was 'huh are these two related?' based on their fangs. Or maybe it's a marking for the orcs who fought the orc nazis.

I'm thinking Snout is just afraid because he recognised the force push that messed him up. (Because he hadn't considered that this is a pretty basic thing mages can do )
    Last edited by Alcibiades; 2022-03-05 at 02:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
    "Don't talk to me or my Lake Witch ever again!"

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
    Wait wait wait--

imgur images can be embedded again!?

29. - Top - End - #89

I thought that this could be interesting, as maybe the lake witch had an agenda and had deliberately brought the sucker puncher there... then I remembered that they aren't in the big orc hold any more, and the witch actually lives there, and this is the fourth time they meet her.

Even the teeth are probably just a local thing, everyone from this town has them: https://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/november-8-2021/ https://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/december-17-2021/

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. What gripping drama. What dripping tension. I was on the edge of my seat these past couple pages.