New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Can you see into Hunger of Hadar?

You are blinded if you are inside of Hunger of Hadar and it absorbs all light.

Can someone one the outside of HoH see someone inside it?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Can you see into Hunger of Hadar?

It's a sphere of blackness so I'd say no. (And not to mix physics and D&D, but if it's suppressing all light in the area, then no light inside is getting bounced back to your retinas, ergo no vision.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Yeah, gonna agree with Psyren. "No light, magical or otherwise, can illuminate the area..." sounds like people on the outside can't see in.

Now how does that interact with darkvision/Devil's Sight? A little more up in the air -- it's interesting how darkness explicitly calls out that it trumps darkvision, but hunger doesn't. I'd probably say "darkvision can't see through it, but Devil's Sight can," but I'd also be understanding if a DM had their own ruling.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Crawford has said that devil's sight (and darkvision, by extension) doesn't work on the Hunger of Hadar while you're outside of it. My explanation: It's not an area solely with the absence of light, it's an area filled with "blackness", opaque much as Fog Cloud is.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Crawford has said that devil's sight (and darkvision, by extension) doesn't work on the Hunger of Hadar while you're outside of it. My explanation: It's not an area solely with the absence of light, it's an area filled with "blackness", opaque much as Fog Cloud is.
    That's how we have played it. Works fine.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6

Oh really? Blindfighting Style just became that little bit more attractive then.
    It's time for a preemptive retaliatory strike.

Original online work - I've Been Reborn as a Dungeon Monster?
    Tvtropes

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

My explanation: It's not an area solely with the absence of light, it's an area filled with "blackness", opaque much as Fog Cloud is.
    That would align well with the 4e lore on Hadar.

From what I gather, Hadar is a star entity, once most luminous but now a red ember, that has long been in the process of being eaten by another entity, the dark nebula Ihbar (Dragon#366 p18). In turn, a star spawn called the Herald of Hadar sometimes appears in the world and "feasts on life energy, channeling it back to its creator in an effort to avert its demise" (4e MM2 p196).

In 5e, VGtM mentions Hadar as one of the star entities that neogi enter pacts with, so maybe the old lore holds up and hunger of Hadar connects an area to the eternal struggle between two great old ones, one of which is made of space fog.

Not the most responsible spell to cast.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    That would align well with the 4e lore on Hadar.

From what I gather, Hadar is a star entity, once most luminous but now a red ember, that has long been in the process of being eaten by another entity, the dark nebula Ihbar (Dragon#366 p18). In turn, a star spawn called the Herald of Hadar sometimes appears in the world and "feasts on life energy, channeling it back to its creator in an effort to avert its demise" (4e MM2 p196).

In 5e, VGtM mentions Hadar as one of the star entities that neogi enter pacts with, so maybe the old lore holds up and hunger of Hadar connects an area to the eternal struggle between two great old ones, one of which is made of space fog.

To be fair, neither is a Fireball. How many forest and towns have been destroyed by the fire from a poorly aimed Fireball?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    To be fair, neither is a Fireball. How many forest and towns have been destroyed by the fire from a poorly aimed Fireball?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsGvGGKshjI Enjoy the weather :)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

RAI Devil's sight should not let you see into or through Hunger of Hadar, so sayeth Jeremy Crawford

https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/...044544?lang=en

RAW it's a bit unclear, but if RAW is unclear and RAI is explicit then I err on the side of RAI.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

11. - Top - End - #11

Works for me.

Yeah, Warlocks are definitely known for their prudence and responsibility
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ugmaro View Post
    That's also one of the terrible jobs to have in the Pokémon universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yeah, Warlocks are definitely known for their prudence and responsibility
    I am just saying, this deserves to be their most iconic spell after eldritch blast.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

This is one of my D&D pet peeves. I would argue that by RAW and, at least at one point, RAI anybody with darkvision can see though HoH. Yes the sphere is described as "blackness" but also as "the dark between the stars". What it doesn't say is "heavy obscurement" which is the term every other spell effect that you can't see in or out of uses. If the term "blackness" is supposed to denote something like heavy obscurement, then why bother describing how light can't illuminate the area, or why on earth give creatures inside the area the blinded condition? If the HoH essentially creates heavy obscurement, that totally negates the effects of blinded. It just makes no sense why it would be written that way unless creatures inside the area weren't meant to see out of it, but creatures outside were meant to perhaps to still see in.

And it's not like this would make HoH OP or anything. It would be more or less on par with other third level spells like hypnotic pattern, fear, fireball, etc.

14. - Top - End - #14

Actually I agree - if they want the sphere to be heavy obscurement they should just say so.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Do you Want to see into a Hunger of Hadar?
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

That's also one of the terrible jobs to have in the Pokémon universe.
    I love that :)

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    Do you Want to see into a Hunger of Hadar?
    Me? No. PCs on the other hand... half of them are absolute psychos so probably yes. To illustrate my point: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html
    Last edited by Ugmaro; 2021-11-24 at 12:56 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

What annoys me is that this is an iconic spell and an iconic ability, from the same class, both in the Player's Handbook. Of course this question is going to come up, and they should have known that it would come up. Why the heck isn't it explicitly clear right in the rules?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh, it would still be a mess even if the spell used the term heavy obscurement. A big problem with 5e vision rules is that obscurement is used to describe both lighting and opacity, even though those should obviously not work the same.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I really want to say that it would function like the darkness spell and allow devil's sight to work... but... that would be wildly good. As is, its a huge area, does decent damage and blinds. Giving advantage to hit things in it would just be too much. I do wish it scaled even a little bit though.

20. - Top - End - #20

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Habber_Dasher View Post
    Yes the sphere is described as "blackness" but also as "the dark between the stars".
    In my games, it is not "the dark between the stars."

It is "the Dark between the stars."

No mortal eye can pierce it. The unfathomable Blackness and Dread overcomes the senses and the brain.

Unless you are a mind flayer. Not that my players have tried the spell on a mind flayer yet. The poor fools.
    Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    Don't waste time making rolls on things that aren't interesting. Move on and get to the good stuff.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    In my games, it is not "the dark between the stars."

It is "the Dark between the stars."

No mortal eye can pierce it. The unfathomable Blackness and Dread overcomes the senses and the brain.

Unless you are a mind flayer. Not that my players have tried the spell on a mind flayer yet. The poor fools.
    Is there a bit of lore here I don't know about? Or both being eldritch horrors?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

22. - Top - End - #22

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Is there a bit of lore here I don't know about? Or both being eldritch horrors?
    Mind flayers (like many other abberrations) originally come from the Far Realms. Or possibly their creator comes from the Far Realms.

So, in my games they are generally not affected by those sort of spells and effects. A mind flayer in the area of a hunger of hadar is comforted, not damaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    Don't waste time making rolls on things that aren't interesting. Move on and get to the good stuff.

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

Now it should be noted that if you do want to "see" inside your Hunger of Hadar, there is one thing that will work (I'm pretty sure), that being the Blind Fighting Fighting Style. Sure you literally would have to be within 10ft or inside it to "see" inside HoH, but the blind sight would at least make it easier for you to deal damage/move around inside if you wanted to.
    Shy Tentacle Monster in the Playground... It's not as bad as it sounds, I swear.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now I feel as though looking into a HoH with "Truesight" should drive you insane! :P
    D20 Modern Complete HTML SRD
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

The RAW actually seem clear to me, but I won't argue with people who disagree, at least not too strenuously. It says "filled with blackness," which is like saying "filled with fog" or "filled with lava" or anything else: "blackness" is opaque. It is what "ink blot magical darkness" looks like to those who lack Devil's Sight, and it importantly doesn't say "magical darkness" anywhere in the spell.

What bugs me about it is that it refers to "the darkness between the stars," which...actually should be entirely transparent (as regular, nonmagical darkness is), providing only as much obscurement as magical darkness would, at most. But the text is clear: it's "filled with blackness," not merely "magically dark."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    What bugs me about it is that it refers to "the darkness between the stars," which...actually should be entirely transparent
    Alternatively, from a typical Spelljammer perspective, the dark part of the firmament should be not only opaque but also rock solid.

Either way, you could work in the 4e lore I previously mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon#366 p18, Revelations of Melech
    Hadar: Hadar is the extinguished cinder of a star lurking within the cloaking nebula of Ihbar.
    Ihbar: A dark nebula between stars, Ihbar is slowly expanding and eating the light of neighboring constellations.
    It is not just the dark between the stars but, like, the big eldritch cloud known as the Dark Between the Stars.

Or you could go "Look, you summon space tentacles, you get space cephalopod ink".

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Light has to bounce off of *Object* and then travel to an eye for *Object* to be seen. Illuminating something means providing light to bounce off *Object.*
    If the spell stops all illumination, there's nothing to bounce off of *Object* and into an eye, so, nothing within the spell effect is visible, from within or without.
    Last edited by Burley; 2021-11-29 at 01:31 PM.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Light has to bounce off of *Object* and then travel to an eye for *Object* to be seen.
    With normal sight, sure. It's clear, by any interpretation, that normal sight can't see into Hunger of Hadar. But in D&D, there are forms of "vision" which clearly don't require light bouncing off of an object, like normal darkvision, or the even better darkvision granted by Devil's Sight.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics