New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Beast Master Magic Item Help

So in the holiday spirit, our DM has allowed us to pick 1 uncommon magic item subject to his approval.

My first choice would be Mithral Platemail barding for my animal companion since we don't have a Front liner.

Party consists of a necromancer, stars druid, order cleric, and myself a Tortle STRanger (race important due to implications on AC).

I currently have a cloak of protection and I am looking to go from a halberd to a sword and board style to up my AC.

if the barding does not get approved, I was looking at either +1 weapon, +1 shield, or stone of good luck.

Of those three listed, what would be best to request? Also, other options with reasons why it would be good are welcome as well.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Beast Master Magic Item Help

Are you using the previous version of Beastmaster (medium creature, CR 1/2 or less or whatever), or the new Primal Beasts? My answer will be different for each.

Also, what style of combat is your actual character using?
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

3. - Top - End - #3

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Are you using the previous version of Beastmaster (medium creature, CR 1/2 or less or whatever), or the new Primal Beasts? My answer will be different for each.

Also, what style of combat is your actual character using?
    Previous version of Beastmaster. THough the DM has approved me having an owlbear animal companion due to my character secret from Rime of the Frostmaiden. Once we hit lvl 5, it will be full Owlbear stats (currently medium size and lowered Strength score).

Also, DM just weighed in that it has to be a magic item for my ranger and not something for my animal companion to wear.

4. - Top - End - #4

RangerGuy

I just had the thought to pick a Weapon of Warning as the DM has thrown surprise at us often and having a higher chance to go first would allow me to position myself and my animal companion in good position to run interference for the party.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Master O'Laughs View Post
    Previous version of Beastmaster. THough the DM has approved me having an owlbear animal companion due to my character secret from Rime of the Frostmaiden. Once we hit lvl 5, it will be full Owlbear stats (currently medium size and lowered Strength score).

Also, DM just weighed in that it has to be a magic item for my ranger and not something for my animal companion to wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master O'Laughs View Post
    I just had the thought to pick a Weapon of Warning as the DM has thrown surprise at us often and having a higher chance to go first would allow me to position myself and my animal companion in good position to run interference for the party.
    In that case, I think weapon of warning sounds pretty great. I would say gauntlets of ogre strength, assuming your strength isn't already 16+, but if surprise is a common factor, the warning effect will be valuable.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!