A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default OOTS #264 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.

I gotta go call someone about the server, this is ridiculous...It took me two hours to get a connection to post the comic in the first place!
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #264 - The Discussion Thread

and I thought it was just me (the slow response of the server).

Crypto-solutions below for those interested (looks like someone made a listen check):

Wait. Listen!

Back in the cells! Back! BACK!!
    Look! A signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Same thing here. Very slow.

But the comic is great. And I agree with n11 crypto solutions. Looks like Haley saved the day.

Before anyone begins saying how Durkon lied, he didn't. The five of them didn't leave their cells. Only four of them did. Making an excuse for Belkar won't be so easy, though.
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Belkar has now my official support for harvesting Mikos Kidneys. "Honorless pig" poor Elan.

Durkon has won back my respect, these were the best two none-lies I've ever read.

PS: Yes, it's extremely slow. Took me one hour to get to the reply window, and now the smileys aren't even loaded.

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah, so, in case anyone can actually read this: RawBear tells me we're the target of a Denial of Services attack, and that this is probably what slammed the server last time, too. He's doing his best to combat it.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

6. - Top - End - #6

the attacks only come on new 'toon days... maybe your ISP needs better firewall protection?
    soni love thog

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Yay! Finally made it to the forums.

I third the decryptions. Great comic, Giant.

Glad to see Haley make good use of her roguey skills.
    Avatar by Jamroar.&&&&If justice really existed, there would be no need for law and lawmakers, and thus, one of mankind\'s noblest conceptions would be obliterated, and an entire occupational group would be thrown out of work.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Damn. Someone beat the cryptogram before me, I got the same results as well. Must try to be quicker next time.....

Nice strip, but I kinda wanted some bloodshed. I think we're going to have to rely on belkar to kill and harvest the kidneys of the mook guards. We must be getting close to the end of this railroad plot, entertaining as it has been so far.

9. - Top - End - #9

Chimera

Whew! One heck of a time trying to get my OotS fix! I thought it was just a million people trying to do the exact same thing as me, all at once!

So Durkon finally helps the team out a little! Huzzah! They are not all dead! Except for Belkar... he is so toast... but yay for OotS!!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Yeah, so, in case anyone can actually read this: RawBear tells me we're the target of a Denial of Services attack, and that this is probably what slammed the server last time, too. He's doing his best to combat it.
    Well I wish him good luck.

In retrospect, I should home figured, as if it were only the load from people looking for the new strip, wednesday would have been as bad as Monday But it wasn't, so it was artificial Monday and today.

Really sucks.

11. - Top - End - #11

Zombie

Gees... why would anyone run a DOS attack on a webcomic site? Don't those people have anything better to do? Although it is probably not an attack on the OOTS itself, but on whoever hosts this site, so maybe GiantITP is just an innocent bystander in the attack.

Anyway, great to see Durkon back fully on the side of the Order. And those were two darn creative "explanations". He took risks. Anyone with any level of "street smarts" would've easily been able to corner Durkon; I guess he counted on Miko not having those skills. He got lucky. Could've easily backfired on him and destroyed the only influence Order has on Miko.

Woohoo! I think the attack is over. Site is back to full speed for me

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I love Miko so much. Any comic that features Miko is worth waiting 20 minutes for.

And for anyone who says she's disrespectful... did you see the kind bow she did when addressing Durkon?

Sorry to hear about the web server. Hopefully things will be resolved soon!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

wow...i made it to page 1 :)

Nice strip though...I finally read it after the site was unavailable (Bloody DoS attacks). Durkon for teh win!1! :)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Likewise. Everything seems to be back at 100%.

"Mechanical defect"....I should keep that one in mind...

15. - Top - End - #15

Denial of service? This happens every time a new OOTS is posted... though today was the worst... better talk to the server guys...

Nice to see that Durkon is one of the gang again!
    "Vuwcan" avatar from Erfworld, written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Wombat, it's been hard to get on this site. I thought it was just the rest of The Giant's zombie minions all trying to read OOTS at once, but I began to suspect t3h h4xx0rz(leet for "the hackers", for those who have been lucky enough to avoid learning it) more and more as the day went on. Nothing I say is going to get this fixed faster, therefore: thank you, RAWbear for your efforts, and thank you, Giant, for putting up with the server long enough to post the comic.

Anyway...glad to see Durkon still values the lives of his friends. Being possible to pick is, indeed, a major mechanical defect. ;)

EDIT: apparantly , h4xx0r actually means "cracker" rather than "hacker", at least in my understanding. Thank you for the correction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

17. - Top - End - #17

Good to see it wasn't only me having problems. Took me several hours just to get to the site.

That was an impressive set of non-lies from Durkon. He never really lied, but didn't mean any of it in the way Miko thought he did.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

18. - Top - End - #18

Sounds like it's time to upgrade the box hosting the site or the connection the site has to the intarweb, Giant. Just my two cents.

Durkon has now redeemed himself. Also, one of the OotS making a Spot/Listen check made this worthwhile, even if nothing else did (and believe me, plenty of other things did).
    Gallery 1Gallery 2Gallery 3Make Avatars With MS Paint
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

19. - Top - End - #19

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo
    He took risks. Anyone with any level of "street smarts" would've easily been able to corner Durkon
    I must respectfully disagree that assuming Miko has no street smarts qualifies as a "risk."

Heck, IMO assuming she has no smarts whatsoever is a fairly safe bet! ;-)
    In MY day, we didn't have character generation programs. We didn't even have character sheets to photocopy. We had to use ordinary lined paper. And we LIKED it!!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mjoellnir
    Durkon has won back my respect, these were the best two none-lies I've ever read.

I concur with that 100%. I finally saw the "real" Durkon again--the one we all know and love. That was some fancy verbal footwork on his part, although it's a good thing for him Miko apparently doesn't have "Sense Motive"!

Great strip today, Giant. :)
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo_Serious
    Denial of service? This happens every time a new OOTS is posted... though today was the worst...
    Normal lag from people checking the comic usually dies down about 3-4 hours after the strip gets posted. Today, the strip was finally posted at 2:00 pm, and the site didn't return to full speed until 2:00 am, 12 hours later.
    Rich Burlew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

it might not be a dos attack as much as it is just people checking at peak hours to see if there is a comic?

poor elan, hes not a pig....dosnt really have honor to speak of, being a bard...but still.....

dude, Durkon is so a 3D character now...i mean before he was cool and everything, but he really stands out more so in my mind now...

at least we know someone in this comic can pass a listen check....

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

*Sigh* Once again I am forced to display my ignorance. What is a "denial of service attack"? Apologies for the buffoonery, what I know about computers can fit under my fingernail.
    Why is abbreviation such a long word?

24. - Top - End - #24

Yay! Finally got into the forums ..

I think the funniest part of this comic was that Roy and Durkon referred to the fact that Durkon did heal the Order during the second battle with Miko -- a battle that never took place except in the forums! :D
    -Are you filled with regret that, eventually, there won't be more world to burn?
    -In the back, yeah

x-atars (PM requests)

25. - Top - End - #25

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by humanpylon
    *Sigh* Once again I am forced to display my ignorance. What is a "denial of service attack"? Apologies for the buffoonery, what I know about computers can fit under my fingernail.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial_of_service

In layman terms, it is pretty much just flooding the web site server with requests for information. Those requests are sent at such high rate of speed that legitimate requests from the legitimate users can't get through.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

ARGH CLIFFHANGER

Are we ever actually going to meet this lord Shojo guy or is he going to be drunk or away never to be truly revealed like the monster in the shadows.

*gasp*

The monster in the shadows is lord shojo! Rich you sly devil! :o

Also, Durkon just rocks hard doesn't he!
    \"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don\'t do anything about it.\" -Albert Einstein

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Thanks Fwiffo ;D

Next question. Where the hell did Miko pull those swords out from in panel 6? Or is that something best left unthought of, like Belkar's ring ;)
    Why is abbreviation such a long word?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

See, this is exactly the kind of evasive answers that get me in trouble with my girlfriend. However, I'm not fibbing at katana-point.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

I love Miko so much. Any comic that features Miko is worth waiting 20 minutes for.

And for anyone who says she's disrespectful... did you see the kind bow she did when addressing Durkon?
    I dunno. Even I'm growing tired with Miko's attitude. Roy & Durkon may have surrendered after the second scrap, but I don't recall anyone else swearing the blood oath to come quietly.
    And this "after brief acquaintance, I trust Durkon for siding against his party, therefore I will believe what he says in defiance of overwhelming likelihood that the opposite is true" thing is just a tad dense.
    Heck, IMO assuming she has no smarts whatsoever is a fairly safe bet!
    No, she is simply under the somewhat bizarre impression that all decent people are her psychological clones. As you can now see, this has worked both for and against the OotS.

"the hackers"
    Just for future reference:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/H/hacker.html
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/C/cracker.html
    This has been a public service announcement.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello, my first post and all, so...Hello :D

Just thought I'd say, this was a good strip today, worth the wait. I can't wait to get back to Belkar and see what carnage he's managed while everyone else has been walking on eggshells in this place