New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default The Complete Arcane: Illusion (PEACH)

I want to play a wizard who only uses one school of magic.

Simple right? But unfortunately, impossible to play. Wizards learn 4 cantrips, about 8 1st-level spells, and about 4 spells of every other level. But no school of magic has this many spells.

To solve this problem, I'm writing a huge number of new spells. I'm also revising old spells to make weaker options more appealing, moving certain spells between schools, revising wizard subclasses to take advantage the spells I'm offering them, and writing new subclasses for the other spellcasters when I think they deserve access to my new spells.

First up was The School of Divination. That project is done, and my table considers it a huge success! So next, I'm tackling The School of Illusion.

Please, let me know what you think of the spells and features I've written so far, and help me come up with spells and features for higher levels!
    Last edited by GalacticAxekick; 2022-02-19 at 10:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The Complete Arcane: Illusion (PEACH)

I've almost finished this project! I just need help in the following areas:
    • Verify that all the new spells are fun and balanced
    • Verify that all the new Illusion Wizard features are fun and balanced
    • Brainstorm new features for the Trickery Cleric that focus on illusion
    • Brainstorm a succinct phrasing for the 8th level illusion Mindscape, which plunges its target into an illusory matrix.
    • Let me know if you have any additional ideas for spells!

Thanks!
    Last edited by GalacticAxekick; 2022-02-18 at 11:26 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I figured I'd take a quick look at some of these, though I'll doubt I'll get to them all in one go:

Dazzle
    Sure it's a short duration, and only 15ft cube, instead of a 15ft radius... but this basically is a more flashy cousin of darkness.
    I think I'd make it "lightly obscured" instead to try and bring it down to a reasonable level.

Hush
    I like it, but it does kinda need more clearly defined limits. "can only hush whatever words they speak afterwards" <== what does this do to multiple word spells? Also, is spellcasting something you can anticipate (I'd say you can, seeing as that is counterspell's whole shtick).
    This needs more clearly defined limits. And be completely unable to counter spellcasting.

Inflict Pain
    The duration mentioned grapple, but the spell itself does not.
    The flinching, is this an option for the target or for the caster? Also, why "up to 5ft"? as most games use that as the basic measurement.
    When you make multiple attacks, can it decide to flinch away after the first hit?
    Finally, since this cantrip has a bonus effect AND it's an illusion... I think 1d8 might be too big a die, I'd consider a 1d6 instead.

Legerdemain
    "This spell then ends." <== I assume this means on completion of said action?
    The second trick is basically an improved "true strike" and while that cantrip sucks, I don't think it sucks soo much that a boosted version can be a part of a different cantrip.
    It also feels alot like the 2nd level spell "wristpocket" another meh spell, but altogether this cantrip feels rather powerful.
    This cantrip feels really cool, but it basically is:
    • a boosted true strike (cantrip)
    • a weaker wristpocket (2nd level)
    • a very limited silent image (1st level)
    • and a part of Sleight of Hand (skill)

And I think that makes it waaaaay to good for a cantrip.

Mark
    The duration is what keeps this one in check. Otherwise I love it. Psychic Paper anyone?
    I'd be tempted to add a Somatic component though, just to keep it from being to easy to use under everyone's noses.

Numb
    While the downside (which will in general kill any wizard/non-meatshield) is quite big. It's upsides are MASSIVE.
    Not only will you more then double the HP of most characters with this spell (and you can recast it, because there are no limits and no concentration) it will also keep concentrations from being failed for the first half of even the worst encounters.
    Basically, there's no reason what so ever to not cast this on all of the party, minus 1 or 2 healers.
    I'm thinking this would be overpowered even as a 2nd or 3rd level spell.
    If you want to make this more cantrip like... lower the duration, lower the hp (1d8+casting mod, and increase it to 2d8 at level 5, etc, like the other scaling cantrips) and make the "can't fail concentration" into a "advantage on concentration saves" at the most... and probably only one of those for the whole duration.
    And again, the lack of components bothers me on top of this all. And there is very little reason for it. Just give it somatic (touching the target) and probably vocal components.

Color Spray
    The spell as written in the PHB is already quite good... so this rather massive buffing (bigger area of effect, by ALOT - affect all with lower HP, instead of up to a max hp (even if there's less in that pool), no save whatsoever against the blindness this turn (aka, free disengage at the minimum. And with prepared actions/teamwork, lots of (dis)advantages)...
    Yeah, this one is kind of insanely overpowered as well.
    Also, why remove the material component of the spell? I know it's easier for the wizard with less components... but I'm noticing a rather consistent low-balling of the amount of components required.
    Anyhow, at level 1/2, this spell is going to instantly turn the tide against pretty much any group/swarm fight the party will encounter. And even against the big bulky single creatures, this is going to be a VERY powerful spell.

Anyhow, I don't have the time to look at the rest right now, but from what I looked at, this doesn't bode well for the overal balance.

Oh and a final note for the wizard abilities (again, haven't done the full thing yet):
    The 2nd level abilities make this a very good (maybe even OP) 2 level dip class. Casting your illusions extra fast (leaving room for attacks, to take advantage of all the illusions you are throwing around, especially the cantrips) and dealing more damage... Basically enough to boost, for example, the eldritch knight/arcane trickester a lot.
    Help improve my (favorite) 5e homebrews: The Circle of the Full Moon, Items of Darkness and The Unseen Hand (Warlock Patron).
    My old 3.5 homebrews: The Disciple of the gem, the Dragonhearted and my Warlock fix.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Loek View Post
    Dazzle
    Sure it's a short duration, and only 15ft cube, instead of a 15ft radius... but this basically is a more flashy cousin of darkness.
    I think I'd make it "lightly obscured" instead to try and bring it down to a reasonable level.
    I like to think of it as a more flashy cousin of Fog Cloud. The same affect, but roughly one quarter the area, exactly one quarter the range, and one tenth the duration. I think that's a reasonable way for a cantrip to measure up to a 1st level spell.

But if it MUST be nerfed, let's preserve Dazzle's intended function. Dazzle is meant to let the caster "disappear in a puff of smoke"--or in other words, run away without provoking opportunity attacks or revealing where they have gone. Being lightly obscured doesn't accomplish that.

If I shorted the range from 30 feet to self, or if I shorted the duration to "until the end of the current turn", would it be balanced that the area is heavily obscured?

Hush
    I like it, but it does kinda need more clearly defined limits. "can only hush whatever words they speak afterwards" <== what does this do to multiple word spells? Also, is spellcasting something you can anticipate (I'd say you can, seeing as that is counterspell's whole shtick).
    This needs more clearly defined limits. And be completely unable to counter spellcasting.
    I agree completely. I've edited the wording to clarify its limits.

Inflict Pain
    The duration mentioned grapple, but the spell itself does not.
    The grapple is an artefact from an earlier version. The grapple effect now belongs to the 1st level spell Torture.

The flinching, is this an option for the target or for the caster? Also, why "up to 5ft"? as most games use that as the basic measurement.
    It's an option for the caster. I'll clarify that.

Also, it's "up to 5 feet" because I've always played 5e in field of mind, rather than on a tiled board. 5 feet is the usual increment, but there are situations where slightly less or more come up.

Finally, since this cantrip has a bonus effect AND it's an illusion... I think 1d8 might be too big a die, I'd consider a 1d6 instead.
    Fair! I'll edit it shortly

Legerdemain
    "This spell then ends." <== I assume this means on completion of said action?
    That's correct. So you could use your action to cast Legerdemain (which would do nothing by itself). And then you could use your action on your next turn to pick a lock (at which point Legerdemain would kick in and make it seem like you're leaning on the door).

The second trick is basically an improved "true strike" and while that cantrip sucks, I don't think it sucks soo much that a boosted version can be a part of a different cantrip.
    The second trick is a WORSE True Strike!

When you spend your action to cast True Strike, you gain advantage on the next attack you make. Period.

When you use your action to cast Legerdemain, you gain advantage on the next melee attack you make with a light weapon, and only against a creature who doesnt know you can do this.

It also feels a lot like the 2nd level spell "wristpocket" another meh spell
    I think it's reasonable for a cantrip to be an inferior version of a mediocre ritual. They're both free to cast, and the faster-to-cast one is worse.

Mark
    The duration is what keeps this one in check. Otherwise I love it. Psychic Paper anyone?
    I'd be tempted to add a Somatic component though, just to keep it from being to easy to use under everyone's noses.
    No idea what "Psychic Paper" means. But yes, I'll add a somatic component! All touch spells are supposed to have it, and this spell lacking one was just an oversight as I copy-pasted the spell template.

Numb
    While the downside (which will in general kill any wizard/non-meatshield) is quite big. It's upsides are MASSIVE [...] If you want to make this more cantrip like... lower the duration, lower the hp (1d8+casting mod, and increase it to 2d8 at level 5, etc, like the other scaling cantrips) and make the "can't fail concentration" into a "advantage on concentration saves" at the most... and probably only one of those for the whole duration.
    Duration cut to 1 minute. Temporary HP cut to 5 (which becomes 10, 15 and 20 at higher levels). Advantage on concentration saves.

EDIT: For now, I'm balancing it the way you describe. But my intention with this cantrip is to let the cast go basically an entire encounter ignoring damage, only to suffer crippling damage afterwards. 5 THP at low levels miiight accomplish this. 20 THP at high levels definitely wont.

If you're concerned about the cantrip being spammed on everyone in the party, maybe it should just be a higher level spell. That way it can grant dozens of THP and make the target virtually indestructible... until their sense of pain returns and they find themselves making death saving throws.

And again, the lack of components bothers me on top of this all. And there is very little reason for it. Just give it somatic (touching the target) and probably vocal components.
    Again, the lack of a Somatic component is an oversight. I've added it back in.

Color Spray
    The spell as written in the PHB is already quite good... so this rather massive buffing (bigger area of effect, by ALOT - affect all with lower HP, instead of up to a max hp (even if there's less in that pool), no save whatsoever against the blindness this turn (aka, free disengage at the minimum. And with prepared actions/teamwork, lots of (dis)advantages)...
    Yeah, this one is kind of insanely overpowered as well
    Color Spray is consistently rated as one of the worst 1st level spells. Sleep has:
    • a more powerfut effect (unconsciousness instead of blindness)
    • 10 times the duration (1 minute instead of 1 round)
    • 12 times the area of effect (20 foot radius circle instead of 15 foot isosceles triangle. If we treat these shapes as 3D then Sleep has 37 times the volume of effect)
    • and a longer range (90 feet instead of a 15 foot cone from self).

I'm trying to bring Color Spray up to the level where it rivals Sleep, by giving it
    • a guarantee on the weaker effect, and a tiny chance at the strong effect
    • the power to get more targets to compensate for the shorter duration
    • a similarly large area of effect
    • a similar effective range

EDIT: I ran the numbers! For the area of Colour Spray to match the area that matches Sleep, it should be a 50 foot cone. I've changed it to that. I've also removed the radius option to keep things simple.

Also, why remove the material component of the spell?
    I've literally never played a game of 5e where non-costly material components have come up. Since they don't come up at the table, I don't include them in my homebrew.

Anyhow, at level 1/2, this spell is going to instantly turn the tide against pretty much any group/swarm fight the party will encounter. And even against the big bulky single creatures, this is going to be a VERY powerful spell.
    Yeah! Like Sleep!

Oh and a final note for the wizard abilities (again, haven't done the full thing yet):
    The 2nd level abilities make this a very good (maybe even OP) 2 level dip class. Casting your illusions extra fast (leaving room for attacks, to take advantage of all the illusions you are throwing around, especially the cantrips) and dealing more damage... Basically enough to boost, for example, the eldritch knight/arcane trickester a lot.
    It's a 1d6 boost in damage once per round, so I'm not really worried about the EK or AT increasing their damage with this dip.

But I didn't consider the EK or AT dipping into Wizard just for the bonus action. I'll need to play that out in my head!

EDIT: Can you think of any concrete abuses of this bonus action? I see how it's useful and fun, but I dont see anything overpowered.

The AT could use Legerdemain as a bonus action to gain advantage on one melee weapon attack per encounter (or at best, one per enemy).

The EK could Dazzle as a bonus action to escape melee and then make ranged attacks. But he wouldn't be able to attack the creatures he Dazzled. And those creatures would be able to step out of the Dazzled area to chase him down and attack him.

The AT could use Color Spray as a bonus action to guarantee advantage on one attack per casting. Small chance to line up a crit, if the target falls unconscious! That IS pretty good! But it costs a 1st level slot, and the latter effect only works in melee

The EK could use Mark to... look shinier... while he attacks.
    Last edited by GalacticAxekick; 2022-02-28 at 12:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I (again, stupid work) don't have a lot of time, but let me throw out a few bits and pieces.

"Psychic paper" is a Doctor Who reference, it's basically a piece of paper he flashes to people to bluff his way into things. It shows them stuff they are expecting to see (a letter from the monarch, a badge of some organization etc) I felt like Mark could be used like that, which I like.

The reason I think Legerdemain is so much better than true strike, is true strike's limit of 1 turn and needing concentration.

And finally the "Color Spray" vs "Sleep" thing. Remember that Sleep knocks a total of X HP unconscious, while your Color Spray will blind EVERYTHING under a certain HP.
    Both use 5d8, so between 5 and 40 HP.

Sleep therefor can affect between 1 and 8 kobolds.
    While Color spray will ALWAYS affect ALL kobolds in the Area of effect.

That's a massive difference. While I'm not a massive advocate of the "up to X HP worth of creatures" type spells, it's a fact that they are in 5e and I therefor would balance against them.
    Help improve my (favorite) 5e homebrews: The Circle of the Full Moon, Items of Darkness and The Unseen Hand (Warlock Patron).
    My old 3.5 homebrews: The Disciple of the gem, the Dragonhearted and my Warlock fix.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Loek View Post
    The reason I think Legerdemain is so much better than true strike, is true strike's limit of 1 turn and needing concentration.
    The 1 minute duration of Legerdemain means you can cast it ahead of time, while True Strike must be cast the turn before you attack. That's true! But in practice, they're both going to be cast before combat instead of during, so I don't think that makes much of a difference.

The lack of a concentration requirement on Legerdemain is a good observation, though! I'll add that.

And finally the "Color Spray" vs "Sleep" thing. Remember that Sleep knocks a total of X HP unconscious, while your Color Spray will blind EVERYTHING under a certain HP.
    Both use 5d8, so between 5 and 40 HP.
    Im well aware. This is what I was referring to when I said "If Sleep is going to have 10 times the duration of effect, Color Spray should be able to effect more targets".

When Sleep knocks 1 to 8 kobolds out, it removes them from the fight completely.

When Color Spray knocks all the kobolds out, it removes them from the fight for one round.

I'm willing to lower the number of dice Color Spray rolls to 4, 3, or maybe 2, so that higher level spell slots are needed to knock all but the frailest creatures out. But I really think that affecting EVERYTHING under a certain HP is key to balancing the short duration of Color Spray's effect.

While I'm not a massive advocate of the "up to X HP worth of creatures" type spells, it's a fact that they are in 5e and I therefor would balance against them.
    "Up to X HP worth of creatures" spells were in 3.5e too, and they were balanced exactly the way I described.

3.5e Sleep put "4 hit dice of creatures" to sleep

3.5e Color Spray blinded and incapacitated creatures "with 4 hit dice or less", and knocked out creatures "with 2 hit dice or less".
    Last edited by GalacticAxekick; 2022-02-28 at 08:54 PM.