New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Random MetaBanter – Random Banter no. 236 (now with Flowers!)

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oooo what kind you have? For basses, I'm a sucker for the Thunderbird.
    I don't actually remember. My cousin currently has it, and I just wanted something something cheap to start with.

If I actually get good, I have a neighbor who makes custom guitars.

My favorite in terns of style woild be something like a BC Rich Warlock.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    You know, money not being real WOULD explain how Scrooge McDuck can dive into a money pool and not die.
    That's mostly because Scrooge McDuck isn't real but it's also one of the few times Family Guy got it right

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IT'S NOT A LIQUID!!! IT'S A GREAT MANY PIECES OF SOLID MATTER THAT FORM A HARD FLOOR-LIKE SURFACE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That's mostly because Scrooge McDuck isn't real but it's also one of the few times Family Guy got it right

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IT'S NOT A LIQUID!!! IT'S A GREAT MANY PIECES OF SOLID MATTER THAT FORM A HARD FLOOR-LIKE SURFACE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"
    I forgot how much I hate Family Guy, I got annoyed just reading that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I forgot how much I hate Family Guy, I got annoyed just reading that.
    You're welcome.

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

You're welcome.
    So long as you're not Seth McFarlane, it's water under the bridge.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

I for one like those really good comics I don't remember the name of that imply that yes it IS normal gold treated exactly as gold is and Scrooge is just THAT buff. Honed by years of adventuring, don't you know.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I for one like those really good comics I don't remember the name of that imply that yes it IS normal gold treated exactly as gold is and Scrooge is just THAT buff. Honed by years of adventuring, don't you know.
    The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck?

Which includes such gems as Scrooge beating the crap out of Teddy Roosevelt and the Roughriders and Scrooge tearing a steamboat in half with his bare hands.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck?

Which includes such gems as Scrooge beating the crap out of Teddy Roosevelt and the Roughriders and Scrooge tearing a steamboat in half with his bare hands.
    Yeah that's the one (probably).

9. - Top - End - #99

In general, if you're gonna get into a brawl and can pick a classic Disney character to back you up, you want Scrooge McDuck.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Random MetaBanter Β– Random Banter no. 236 (now with Flowers!)

Get on my level scrubs.

*exists in -21 celcius weather that's roughly -30 with the wind*

Why do people LIVE THERE

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Peelee, you're a Silver Dragon. Aren't you immune to cold?

I'm strongly considering moving up there in the next few years because they're one of the more LGBTA friendly countries on the planet.

My rent is 1000 dollars.

To be fair that's likely her intent; to NOT be in one of the places that is super far north and frozen solid.

And even if she DID do that, there would be warmth!

Also lol "snowed in". That basally never happens here, in part because we just deploy the army to dig people out if it gets like that. The one time it's ever happened to me was because the DOOR FROZE SHUT and could not be opened except by sheer breaking the door.

Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    Rent in some places is real nice I see. Here in the insane county they call Los Angeles CA a two bedroom average rent as posted for the last three months of data is:

August 2021 - $2,834
    September 2021 - $2,903
    October 2021 - $2,943

That is in USD.

I am blessed in that I bought a house many years ago so my monthly mortgage payment is much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    A studio apartment here goes for $950-$1100, and other housing options go up from there. Here it is deliberate though, there was a concerted effort to make housing expansion expensive and difficult in the 1970s.

Location location location. It's a true as it is trite. Alabama has crazy low cost of living. Go into certain parts of Birmingham and you'd never realize it though.

I pay $1,000 a month for a large room with voluminous closets on the top (second) floor in a detached house in “the avenues”, I share a toilet and a bathroom (they’re separate rooms) with a gentleman that is a generous cook who lives in the fireplace room, we both share the kitchen and dining room with a charming lady who has two rooms for a $1,000 a month and her own shower and toilet, yeah she gets a better deal rent wise but she cleans the common areas more including our bathroom (she was never asked to, she just does), downstairs a smaller room goes for $750 a month with a kitchen, et cetera shared with one roommate.

There’s a little bit of garage space in which I store a motorcycle or scooter, plus I have use of half the driveway to park my car (the downstairs neighbor uses the other half), on the street parking past two hours is $160 a year to The City for a parking permit (active military, business owners, students, teachers, and a few others can get one for free), which I pay because I have two cars, though a block away one may park without a permit. I also pay $265 a month for garage space in a different house for two other motorcycles I own (yes, two motor cars, two motorcycles, and two motor scooters, a Honda, a Lambretta, an MG, a Norton, a Triumph, and a Vespa, yet I live in a walkable neighborhood, I am a fool when it comes to old things).

Spoiler: more details on San Francisco
    Show
    The neighborhood is nice, low crime, a park, drugstore, and library, and several restaurants all within a five minute walk, plus a trolley line to go downtown. A large supermarket is a ten minute walk, the post office is a 15 minute walk, a hardware store is a 20 minute walk, as is an auto parts store, I can run to the ocean inside of 20 minutes, walking is 45 minutes, a drive is 5 to 10 minutes, it takes about 25 minutes for me to drive to work,

For the same $1,000 a month in the SOMA area (near my work) you get no parking, a small room that can hold a bed, a chair, and little else, a bathroom you share with a dozen others on the floor, and hypodermic needles on the sidewalks and crime. Lots of nearby bars and restaurants though.

Keeping a motor vehicle and living in “the avenues” instead was an easy choice.

Some areas of San Francisco wouldnΒ’t be my choice to live in, so my “Pros” are mostly neighborhood specific, as are my “Cons” of living in San Francisco;

Pros:
    I like being near the ocean, the waves calm me, it’s a two minute walk from my front door lets me see the ocean, a forty minute walk, or a ten to twenty minute drive and walk let’s me touch it.

Stern Grove and it’s free summer concert series (both pop and the San Francisco Symphony, and this year punk rock with X and The Avengers!) is nearby.

Dozens of restaurants and a half dozen bars are all within a ten minute walk, the nearest cafe is a three minute walk, the nearest bar is a six minute walk at most.

Public library, park, and a children’s playground are all within a five minute walk. A better playground for the five year old (it used to have a real Navy jet for kids to climb on, now it has an airplane shaped “play structure”) is ten minutes away by foot or car.

A bit smaller than in the suburbs, but Β“big box” stores may still be driven to, a few with plentiful parking.

Small family owned shops are abundant.

Restaurant downtown dating from the early 20th century with wood paneled booths with curtains you may close so you and your lunch/dinner date may have privacy.

A corned beef specialty butcher near my work!

The old man with the large (for San Francisco) house filled with 1960’s British car parts who fixes my MG lives here.

A men’s clothing shop that specializes in early/mid 20th century British styles that has a portrait of a young Queen Elizabeth II on it’s wall.

An Italian motor scooters of the 1960’s and ‘70’s shop (where I got my Lambretta) is in the Bayview neighborhood (there’s also supposed to be a guy who’ll work on 1960’s/‘70’s British motorcycles in that neighborhood, but so far I still take my Norton and Triumph back to Oakland or down to San Jose for that).

Dozens of bookstores within a few square miles of me.

Plentiful concerts and theaters.

The religious buildings are usually more impressive looking and nice to look at.

My job is here, it’s fairly secure, and I’m paid a middle class wage, and I hated crossing the bridge to get to it and back when I lived just outside of San Francisco.

The fog in the western half of The City, I hate being hot (unless I’m swimming) and I love the fog.

The views, so many good views.

(In going over that list maybe itΒ’s London I should live in instead)

Cons:
    Near my work are hypodermic needles (and worse) on the sidewalks, beggars and tents

Turning left at an intersection is often illegal

Free parking is harder to come by than in the Β‘burbs

Car break-ins are common in some neighborhoods (thankfully not mine).

Some neighborhoods (thankfully not mine) smell like pee.

The rent is too damn high

I’ve also heard one or two say that The City is LGBTA+ friendly compared to elsewhere.

I love San Francisco.

Please move here all you Random Banterers (unless I move to London).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

I need to be way further into my careeer before I can even begin considering moving to San Francisco.

12. - Top - End - #102

If I head to Sanfran it's becuase I've acquired several hundred million dollars and a passive income that more than makes p for any spending I do and I've used that money to buy a self-driving vehicle and I just live in that traveling the country.

...Why do I have to be a productive member of society? Why can't I just spend eternity driving around the country with my best friends investigating monster sightings that inevitably turn out to be a shady developer trying to scare off people so they can get the land?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-11-27 at 12:17 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly Rater, if I was wealthy independant of a job, I'd go ghost-hunting with you for a year or so.

14. - Top - End - #104

I'm watching a lets play of Bully, a rockstar game from 2006 about a delinquent kid who gets dumped off at a fancy private school that is not so secretly the worst school in America while his narcissistic mother and the "fat bald rich guy that's twice as old as my grandpa" that she married go on a year-long honeymoon and if he gets kicked out she'll have him sent to juvie, that I didn't play when it first came out for reasons...

Gotta say, it's a bad sign when the best teacher on the campus is the homeless Korean war vet in the junkyard behind the auto shop who'll teach you military-grade CQC if you bring him old radio transistors.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Which is better, offense or defense?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Which is better, offense or defense?
    Some people will say offense, becuase the best defense is a good offense.

I say, however, that if you have a good enough defense you don't need offense.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-11-27 at 01:54 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Some people will say offense, becuase the best defense is a good offense.

I say, however, that if you have a good enough defense you don't need offense.
    Problem is we could debate endlessly about what is or isn't a good enough defense or offense to make the other obsolete, the ideal situation is peace which is arguably neither, and every defense or offense I can think of has flaws.

pure defense only works if the only goal is to defend everything within those defenses. as soon as the enemy goes around them to get something outside those defenses to gain an advantage, the defenses have failed. a smart enemy sees a turtling strategy and knows not to engage but figure out ways around the turtle shell.

a smart enemy can also take advantage of a pure offensive, luring one part of the offense into traps while striking at places they are vulnerable in other parts.

as someone who likes strategy games, there is no perfect strategy.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Of course, there is. It's called "have more than one strategy."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

... as someone who likes strategy games, there is no perfect strategy.
    “A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.” - Joshua
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Somehow, these are both accurate.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

contingency plans are always good, they reduce the chances of loss but they don't eliminate it entirely. that and resource concerns: you may not always be able to afford multiple strategies and plans with what you have available. on the other hand, fleeing is often cheaper in terms of cost and thats almost always a viable backup plan.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I made the eggnog at the parents house. My GF was able to participate this time, which was good. Looking forward to drinking 10 gallons of the stuff once Christmas comes around.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    Looking forward to drinking 10 gallons of the stuff once Christmas comes around.
    I feel queasy just reading that.

So today was grocery shopping day... And there's no room in the fridge becuase of thanksgiving leftovers.

I don't think we thought this through.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #114

Someone who has been (and truthfully likely still will be but we'll see) harassing me has finally blocked me, and there's something satisfying about that. I've done literally jack and **** to them, they're the ones who kept poking and prodding... and in the end they're the one who flinched first. Do wish he'd remove his ****ty review from my book, but I imagine it'll get taken down like the first one did anyway.

That said, I hope his kickstarter project went well, and the ten grand he got for it helps remind him he has better things to do than harass a trans woman.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-11-27 at 09:41 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

You are a stronger person than I am Zodi. The world would be a better place if there were more people like you.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #116

You are a stronger person than I am Zodi. The world would be a better place if there were more people like you.
    Hey, I appreciate that Rater. Thanks a lot.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Rewatching School of Rock.

Jack Black is a national treasure, and I enjoy him in everything I've ever watched him in.

This is also just a great feel-good movie. I like movies that end well for everyone involved.

Also, there were sooooo many hints that Jack Black isn't a teacher, I'm pretty sure the school administration is just incompetent.

Also, also, Sarah Silverman feel underutilized. Though, obviously she'd be better suited to a role that is not the roommate's naggy girlfriend.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Rewatching School of Rock.

Jack Black is a national treasure, and I enjoy him in everything I've ever watched him in.

This is also just a great feel-good movie. I like movies that end well for everyone involved.

Also, there were sooooo many hints that Jack Black isn't a teacher, I'm pretty sure the school administration is just incompetent.

Also, also, Sarah Silverman feel underutilized. Though, obviously she'd be better suited to a role that is not the roommate's naggy girlfriend.
    Jack Black is an absolute treasure, and the only thing Highschool Musical is missing is that they were not allowed to make it as openly queer as they wanted.

Sarah Silverman is wasted in everything where she isn't a goblinoid best friend, because she has the perfect energy for "that little **** who is your best friend".

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

contingency plans are always good, they reduce the chances of loss but they don't eliminate it entirely. that and resource concerns: you may not always be able to afford multiple strategies and plans with what you have available. on the other hand, fleeing is often cheaper in terms of cost and thats almost always a viable backup plan.
    “In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” –General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #120

“In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” –General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "There are only four rules you need to remember. Make the plan, execute the plan, expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan. Follow my lead and you'll be fine"- Leanard "Captain Cold" Snart.