New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What Was Best in Thieves’ World?

So, does anyone remember this series?

If so, what were your favorite stories, characters, scenarios from these books?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: What Was Best in Thieves’ World?

I remember reading the first book and part of the second, but I honestly don’t recall much from it. Looking at a synopsis rings some bells, but the fine details are lost to time.

I do remember the monks who had to cover themselves in butter and who smelled really bad, though.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-11-26 at 01:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I never got far beyond the first book (which I mostly enjoyed) and one or two short stories from other collections.

It was... OK, I guess. The idea behind it was very good, and some of the stories in the first volume were very clever gems. I liked the idea of a shared universe (or, at least, town) where different authors brought different perspectives - so much so that for a while I was part of a small writers group doing the same sort of thing. That, I think was the best thing about it - the different viewpoints on the same world.

But it wasn't quite enough to fully engage me. I don't often buy short story collections, and the first Thieves’ World was one of the rare exceptions.

As I never went further with the stories I really can't say more than that. It was a good idea, with a reasonable start; however I can't really say more as I have no idea how it ended.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

MS is correct in what made it good: the differing perspectives depending on who was writing from what POV. As time went on (esp. with the spinoffs) it did get a little overbearing.

There are two omnibuses covering the first 6 books available on Amazon (Kindle format).
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Tempus got old.

The kid thief, the fortune teller, the painter...those were my favorites.

The fact that the one name I remember is the character I disliked is because he became the lead.

I like anthologies, but YMMV. Worth reading on the cheap.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII