A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 510 of 874
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    If the betting pool is more than 2 people, odds are high that Serini's not the winner, just by virtue of probability. It's a safe assumption to make that Serini isn't a winner, because it's A: Highly probable, B: Immaterial to the larger point that Girard's group would need to go into cities anyway in order to get resupply, and C: Irrelevant because they're outright stating that this isn't a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination and they're doing it because it's literally the only plan they've got left.

    And, with all due respect, please stop speaking so authoritatively about the phrasing involved here, especially when Haley outright states "A pool probably means more than two people", since there's only two people they were talking about before.

    It would be in keeping of Girard and Serini's characters for her to be involved in the betting pool, and the comic doesn't explicitly state that she's not, and all I'm saying is that the comic is ambiguous on the subject, as well as pointing out why it might be interesting if the comic does have her involved in the pool. It might never come up, I might be wrong, but can't you just shrug and go "eh maybe" given all of that?
    They don't consider even the possibility that Serini won. They are 100% invested in the idea that one of Girard's confederates has a 10,000 gold windfall they want to spend in the biggest city in the desert. They are entirely discounting any chance that Serini won, which could only be the case if they did not consider that Serini was involved in the pool.

    Also, what about Serini's character would be consistent with her betting in the pool? There's no reason at all to think she had any ill will towards Soon, and she has no expectation that the two paladins we've seen her deal with, Lien or O-Chul, will break their oaths. She's even ope ly distanced herself from Girard. Any assumption that "her character is consistent with betting in the pool" would be is made up of whole cloth and not from anything in the comic.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That's fair, but that also furthers the point that feigning insanity was not the only option Shojo had, and it was extremely callous of him to make his nephew believe his beloved uncle was losing his mind.
    That is also fair - it could perhaps have a justification made up to explain it but none has been given from an authoritative source that I know of at the moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    They are entirely discounting any chance that Serini won, which could only be the case if they did not consider that Serini was involved in the pool.
    I could see either side - she might be included she might not.
    I would be inclinded to think not but as they as going to try and contact her anyway with every spell that they have (panel 17) her being involved with the pool and potentially winning it is not relevant to them as they are trying to contact her via different means.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2021-12-05 at 04:37 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #483
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I could see either side - she might be included she might not.
    I would be inclinded to think not but as they as going to try and contact her anyway with every spell that they have (panel 17) her being involved with the pool and potentially winning it is not relevant to them as they are trying to contact her via different means.
    That's fair. But I do stand by my position that nothing whatsoever indicates that they thought she was involved in the pool.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  4. - Top - End - #484
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Waterworld

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What? That's pretty much the Order explicitly assuming that the betting pool didn't include Serini. They're assuming that whoever won is involved with Girard's Gate, is somewhere in the desert, and will be visiting the nearest desert city. None of which apply to Serini, who is presumably in the North Pole. I have no clue whatsoever how you're getting that the Order is assuming she's part of the pool there.
    Haley seemingly assuming that by default Serini is in the betting pool as part of the order working out the existence of Girard's allies (his own family) is I believe what is being referred to here.

    Quote Originally Posted by OOTS 698 panels 6-8
    Draketooth's illusion said that it would "notify both her and us", with "her" presumably the halfling.

    If there is an "us" to notify rather than a "me", then presumably he is referring to a group of which the halfling is not a member. His own confederates, perhaps.

    He did mention a betting pool. That implies more than two people.
    Last edited by Bacon Elemental; 2021-12-05 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.
    There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

  5. - Top - End - #485
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Keep in mind that a major reason why he pretended to be insane for the last 6 or so years (Mr Scruffy is 6 and it makes sense that he bought Mr Scruffy specifically for the "talks to his cat" form of feigning insanity) is to avoid being assassinated.
    That doesn't mean it was the only, or the most effective, solution. Or the one least likely to have major consequences later on.

  6. - Top - End - #486
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    True, but it does suggest that "going behind the backs of the Sapphire Guard" was not the main reason for the masquerade, but a side benefit.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

  7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Debatable.
    The agreement was 'No interference in the other four gates' then there were tags about what interference was 'checking in visits, spying'.

    There is no indication that Lirian and Dorukan's relationship involved any interaction on gate protection, nor that Girard or Soon interferenced with anothers gate.
    Serini might have spied or might have heard the details from Vaarsuvius's many sendings or overheard the details when spying on Redcloak and Xykon ... we don't know.
    We don't know those things, but we also don't know that Serini isn't an agent of Xykon trying to foil the Order for Xykon's purposes. But we can infer from what is going on that this is exceedingly unlikely.

    I think you are holding the forum to high of a standard in terms of what evidence is required to draw conclusions. If actually knowing for sure is needed. then 90% of the discussion is invalid. I suggest that instead it reasonable to inferences.

    In this case we know that sendings are limited by number of words, and we know that the opening to each sending took most of those up, so it would seem exceedingly unlikely that the Order would then detail whose weapon was used in the gates destruction. I suggest it is also highly unlikely that Xykon and Redcloak were discussing those sorts of details.


    One of the things that Soon seemingly did was destroy all records he could find regarding the Gates likely on the knowledge that if none knew about the gates or could read about the gates that secrecy was the best protection for his own - this seemed to work well, had he encountered Xykon's library he perhaps wouldn't have had a problem.
    Indeed, if only other members of the Scribble were as careful with information.

    Shojo undermined that by telling an adventuring party about them, which lead to an evil adventuring party finding out about them which lead to fiends finding out about them etc - he delibrately undermined the best protection that the gates had (that nobody knew about them), and did so as part of what his oath called active interference namely to setup a 'checking in visit' regarding the Serini's and Girard's Gate.

    His choice to break his oath to cause interference is his fault so the negative consequences of that choice rest with him - that includes the Fiends finding out about the Gates (which leads to the killing of the Draketooths - unforeseeable though that might be), and it includes The Order breaking Girard's Gate.
    Is your point that, because Shojo broke the oath, he is responsible for negative consequences flowing from him breaking the oath, whether they were foreseeable or not?

    If so, would you agree that if it does turn out that Serini broke her oath, she is also responsible for consequences of that (foreseeable or not).

    Or, would you agree that positive outcomes from Shojo breaking his oath are also attributable to him (whether foreseeable or not)? Such that if the story turns out that the Order's involvement is a net positive (because they do save the world) we can praise Shojo.

  8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    We don't know those things
    I believe that is what I said.


    Indeed, if only other members of the Scribble were as careful with information.
    We don't know they weren't.


    Is your point that, because Shojo broke the oath, he is responsible for negative consequences flowing from him breaking the oath, whether they were foreseeable or not?
    Effectively.

    If so, would you agree that if it does turn out that Serini broke her oath, she is also responsible for consequences of that (foreseeable or not).
    There is no clear evidence that Serini broke her oath - but sure if she did then she would be responsible.

    Or, would you agree that positive outcomes from Shojo breaking his oath are also attributable to him (whether foreseeable or not)?
    This is not an 'Or' situation - Shojo is responsible for the outcomes of breaking his oath whether positive of negative.

    Such that if the story turns out that the Order's involvement is a net positive (because they do save the world) we can praise Shojo.
    Only if his breaking his oath is directly related to the final success (indirect doesn't count at that point).
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2021-12-05 at 09:31 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #489
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Or, would you agree that positive outcomes from Shojo breaking his oath are also attributable to him (whether foreseeable or not)? Such that if the story turns out that the Order's involvement is a net positive (because they do save the world) we can praise Shojo.
    This is more a "despite" than a "because of" relationship.

  10. - Top - End - #490
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Only if his breaking his oath is directly related to the final success (indirect doesn't count at that point).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    This is more a "despite" than a "because of" relationship.
    I don't know how comfortably I am with the position of "negative unforeseeable repercussions are attributable to a person but positive unforeseeable repercussions are not". What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  11. - Top - End - #491
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't know how comfortably I am with the position of "negative unforeseeable repercussions are attributable to a person but positive unforeseeable repercussions are not". What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.
    This isn't being suggested generally: only in the context of committing some other violation. "You shouldn't have been doing that in the first place" is an aggravating factor.

  12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I believe that is what I said.
    Indeed, I was agreeing with you before going on to point out that absolute knowledge was not necessary standard for drawing conclusions on this forum.

    We don't know they weren't.
    On the contrary, we do know that Serini did not destroy written knowledge on the gate before it was taken from her.

    Effectively.
    Good call.

    There is no clear evidence that Serini broke her oath - but sure if she did then she would be responsible.
    I know you don't accept it, which is why I said "if it turns out...". Glad we agree.

    This is not an 'Or' situation - Shojo is responsible for the outcomes of breaking his oath whether positive of negative.
    Yeah, the 'or' was misplaced.

    Only if his breaking his oath is directly related to the final success (indirect doesn't count at that point).
    What do you mean direct? The Order weren't planning on having anything more to do with the gates before Shojo's intervention. So if the Order does end up saving the world, Shojo would have had a hand in causing that, at least as much as he's had hand in causing any of the negative consequences you've mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    This is more a "despite" than a "because of" relationship.
    How do you figure? They had no intent to have anything more to do with the gates, Shojo set them on a course to intervene, and their intervention is likely to (applying meta knowledge and all that) save the world.

    By what reasoning to you conclude that Shojo's intervention is a cause of all the bad stuff you said, and would not be a cause if the Order saves the world at Kraagor's gate?
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2021-12-05 at 11:14 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Beverly, MA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Only if his breaking his oath is directly related to the final success (indirect doesn't count at that point).
    Since we all probably expect that the Order will defeat Xykon and save the world, and this likely would have been impossible if Shojo hadn't broken his oath and shared the Secret Lore with them, expressly in the hope that they would defeat the Gate-hunting lich, I think that "Shojo breaking his oath will be directly related to the final success" has to be regarded as the most likely scenario here. (That is, from a Doylist point of view.) So I'm not sure why you're talking about it like it's some afterthought.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

    Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

  14. - Top - End - #494
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Why are we regarding the oath as a good thing, again? I haven't been keeping up with the thread the last few pages, but the oath wasn't some important thing put in place to help bolster the gates. It, if anything, weakened them significantly. It was 100% about the infighting between the members of the order of the scribble. If they had worked together, which has been a massive overarching theme for the entire series, then things probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere near this bad in the first place.

    Shojo breaking the oath was the first step towards fixing the mistakes of the scribblers, and in fact the oath was one of those.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2021-12-06 at 12:08 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #495
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    You assume they would have been able to work together; the Scribblers had already drawn weapons on each other and probably rolled for initiative at the point when Serini broke them up.

    It's probably worth noting that Soon's and Girard's legacies seem to be the sorts of organizations that would have a very difficult time even tolerating one another in any substantial way.
    Last edited by Hurkyl; 2021-12-06 at 12:22 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    The fact that their relationship ended that poorly to the point of founding separate, diametrically opposed organizations is probably a point towards "the Scribblers ultimately failed because they didn't work together".
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

  17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Why are we regarding the oath as a good thing, again? I haven't been keeping up with the thread the last few pages, but the oath wasn't some important thing put in place to help bolster the gates. It, if anything, weakened them significantly. It was 100% about the infighting between the members of the order of the scribble. If they had worked together, which has been a massive overarching theme for the entire series, then things probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere near this bad in the first place.

    Shojo breaking the oath was the first step towards fixing the mistakes of the scribblers, and in fact the oath was one of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    The fact that their relationship ended that poorly to the point of founding separate, diametrically opposed organizations is probably a point towards "the Scribblers ultimately failed because they didn't work together".
    My theory is that the Serini storyline will lead to Serini realising the reason the Order has a shot against Xykon despite him beating her higher level companions is because they worked together as a team (despite disliking each other often) where her companions split up. This is being repeated in her own insistence that she work by herself. Her redemption will come as learning to play well with others.

    If I'm right, this implies the moment where each decided to defend their own gate was a mistake rather than a great idea.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2021-12-06 at 01:06 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #498
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    The fact that their relationship ended that poorly to the point of founding separate, diametrically opposed organizations is probably a point towards "the Scribblers ultimately failed because they didn't work together".
    The previous poster was arguing that "work separately" was a bad idea because it wasn't the solution "work together". My comment argues that it's wholly implausible that "work together" would be the result of doing something different from "work separately". I can't figure out how your comment fits in.
    Last edited by Hurkyl; 2021-12-06 at 01:12 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #499
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    My theory is that the Serini storyline will lead to Serini realising the reason the Order has a shot against Xykon despite him beating her higher level companions is because they worked together as a team (despite disliking each other often) where her companions split up. This is being repeated in her own insistence that she work by herself. Her redemption will come as learning to play well with others.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    If I'm right, this implies the moment where each decided to defend their own gate was a mistake rather than a great idea.
    I could not disagree more with this. It was absolutely not a mistake. The mistake would he if they stayed together, which would probably have ended in Girard trying to murder Soon, among other possibilities. They clearly had irreconcilable differences, and staying together for the kids is almost always a terrible idea.

    I'm not saying that the Gates were stronger defended alone than they were defended together. I'm saying it was not a mistake to split up. Things can be bad decisions without being mistakes. They made a bad decision (split up) over a worse decision (keep working together). They were playing a bad hand.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    By what reasoning to you conclude that Shojo's intervention is a cause of all the bad stuff you said, and would not be a cause if the Order saves the world at Kraagor's gate?
    That's true... But Shojo breaking his oath did lead to Soon's gate being destroyid and saving Xykon from Ghost Soon, so even if the Order save the world AKA "solve that huge fail" at the end, the world wouldn't have needed to be saved in the first place if Shojo wouldn't have broken his oath.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2021-12-06 at 04:07 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #501
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    That's true... But Shojo breaking his oath did lead to Soon's gate being destroyid and saving Xykon from Ghost Soon
    What, how do you figure? Because Miko found out that he broke his oath and flipped out and destroyed the gate? It's unreasonable to expect Shojo to have foreseen that.
    Last edited by pyrefiend; 2021-12-06 at 04:20 AM.
    Witch Razor Blood Sage
    (Links both lead to ToB disciplines I made!)

  22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I could not disagree more with this. It was absolutely not a mistake. The mistake would he if they stayed together, which would probably have ended in Girard trying to murder Soon, among other possibilities. They clearly had irreconcilable differences, and staying together for the kids is almost always a terrible idea.
    Would you agree to the sentiment that their failure was their inability to work as a team?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  23. - Top - End - #503
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrefiend View Post
    What, how do you figure? Because Miko found out that he broke his oath and flipped out and destroyed the gate? It's unreasonable to expect Shojo to have foreseen that.
    Foreseeable or not, that led to that.

  24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't know how comfortably I am with the position of "negative unforeseeable repercussions are attributable to a person but positive unforeseeable repercussions are not". What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.
    Hurkyl has somewhat already covered this, but I will try to elaborate.

    If you do [thing A] which you have promised not to do and foreseeable items that you planned for occur then positive or negative you can claim credit, however for unforeseeable items you hold the blame but don't get the credit.

    For instance, you stab someone on the street and steal their money.
    a) They die (foreseeable and negative - you hold the blame).
    b) You pay for your childrens mars bars (foreseeable and positive - you get the credit).
    c) They survive and the horror of the attack causes them to go into politics to 'clean up this town' and by clean up they mean killing and by 'this town' they mean everyone who looks like you (unforeseeable and negative - you hold the blame (at least some of it)).
    c) They survive and the horror of the attack causes them to go into medicine and come up with innovative and revolutionary treatments for many injuries saving countless lives (unforeseeable and positive - you get no credit).

    Or to put it in Order of the Stick if Redcloak eventually helps save the world neither The Dark One or The Sapphire Guard gets credit for their roles in starting the whole thing (unless it was The Dark One's plan all along), but if they end the world then both The Dark One and The Sapphire Guard hold some of the blame.

  25. - Top - End - #505
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    If I'm right, this implies the moment where each decided to defend their own gate was a mistake rather than a great idea.
    That wasn't a mistake, that was "the lesser evil". The alternative was probably half of the scribblers dead and the 5 gates being defended by only 2 or 3 of them, or worse.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2021-12-06 at 05:29 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I could not disagree more with this. It was absolutely not a mistake. The mistake would he if they stayed together, which would probably have ended in Girard trying to murder Soon, among other possibilities. They clearly had irreconcilable differences, and staying together for the kids is almost always a terrible idea.

    I'm not saying that the Gates were stronger defended alone than they were defended together. I'm saying it was not a mistake to split up. Things can be bad decisions without being mistakes. They made a bad decision (split up) over a worse decision (keep working together). They were playing a bad hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    That wasn't a mistake, that was "the lesser evil". The alternative was probably half of the scribblers dead and the 5 gates being defended by only 2 or 3 of them, or worse.
    Maybe, I guess it depends on whether the Scribble would have been able to work with each other had they continued to try. The Order also has several members with differing perspectives, who have almost come to blows on occasion, so they may be a model of what the Scribble could have become. This is all speculative though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    That's true... But Shojo breaking his oath did lead to Soon's gate being destroyid and saving Xykon from Ghost Soon, so even if the Order save the world AKA "solve that huge fail" at the end, the world wouldn't have needed to be saved in the first place if Shojo wouldn't have broken his oath.
    Why do you think Soon breaking the oath caused Miko to destroy the gate? She might still have tried to destroy it if she had not fallen. O-Chul was not fallen and he would have destroyed that gate had he the chance.

    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Hurkyl has somewhat already covered this, but I will try to elaborate.

    If you do [thing A] which you have promised not to do and foreseeable items that you planned for occur then positive or negative you can claim credit, however for unforeseeable items you hold the blame but don't get the credit.

    For instance, you stab someone on the street and steal their money.
    a) They die (foreseeable and negative - you hold the blame).
    b) You pay for your childrens mars bars (foreseeable and positive - you get the credit).
    c) They survive and the horror of the attack causes them to go into politics to 'clean up this town' and by clean up they mean killing and by 'this town' they mean everyone who looks like you (unforeseeable and negative - you hold the blame (at least some of it)).
    c) They survive and the horror of the attack causes them to go into medicine and come up with innovative and revolutionary treatments for many injuries saving countless lives (unforeseeable and positive - you get no credit).

    Or to put it in Order of the Stick if Redcloak eventually helps save the world neither The Dark One or The Sapphire Guard gets credit for their roles in starting the whole thing (unless it was The Dark One's plan all along), but if they end the world then both The Dark One and The Sapphire Guard hold some of the blame.
    So your theory is that he gets blamed for unforeseeable consequences of his intervention, but not does not get credit for the good consequences. Doubtful, given the oath is only an agreement between a group of people and does not have any sort of moral importance except as between that group.

    But it doesn't matter anyway. The Order intervening by destroying Xykon, thus saving the world is entirely foreseeable. It waskind of what he hoped would happen.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2021-12-06 at 06:06 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    I would say the Scribblers becoming so opposed to each other that they had to disband or end up attacking each other is a result of their failure rather than the reason.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

  28. - Top - End - #508
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Why do you think Soon breaking the oath caused Miko to destroy the gate? She might still have tried to destroy it if she had not fallen. O-Chul was not fallen and he would have destroyed that gate had he the chance.
    We don't know what would have happened, we only know what really have happened, and that is the fact.

  29. - Top - End - #509
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    We know that O-Chul was stopped from destroying the gate by Xykon.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

  30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

    Yes, because it was that or let Xykon get the Gate and then the world would have blown up one way or another.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •