New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1249 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    Everything previous reflects poorly on your case.
    Everything previous is essentially your speculation and extrapolation, so no, I don't find that it does.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Everything previous is essentially your speculation and extrapolation, so no, I don't find that it does.
    Really? These comments are "speculation and extrapolation"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    The thing that needs to be emphasized, though, is that you're effectively asking someone to swear an oath that they won't interfere... until such time they judge it warrants interference.

Which is fine, I suppose, if the thing you're trying to prevent is having Soon or the SG interfere on a whim. But the agreement was very specifically to bar Scribblers from doing something they felt very strongly was of utmost importance.

As much flak as people give Girard about not trusting a paladin to keep an oath -- you're describing basically what Girard thought Soon's attitude towards the oath would be
    I didn't think I was guessing when I characterized

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    In this case, "holding to a higher standard" runs into "I feel it foolish to risk universal destruction for a promise to people I've never met"

but I think in this, considering the practical reality of the situation at hand, they have a point.)
    as a position that one should only keep an oath of noninterference insofar as you don't judge your interference warranted. I could understand if you responded with a "but it's for a just cause, I swear!"... but "speculation and extrapolation"?

(I omit the Belkar quote since that's poking fun at 'stupid good' rather than keeping agreements or gate related)

I don't think the other points are even in dispute... but just to be sure, you're not saying that it's "speculation and extrapolation" that the Scribblers felt very strongly about how the gates should be defended? Or that Girard's opined that Soon would come up with some excuse to justify breaking the agreement?

Should I assume you were just blurring things together and responding to something that wasn't the content of my post?
    Last edited by Hurkyl; 2021-12-14 at 12:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This is going to be a tough sell.

Yelp is everywhere.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.