New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Can javelins be enchanted as Brooms of Flying?

The two advantages I can think of would be that this would make for a variation on the 'returning' tag, as they could fly back to their owner, and the fact that you can throw a javelin up to 120 feet, so if you need your "broom" of flying over there NOW, you can throw it and it can still hover in place (even accepting weight) where you threw it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Can javelins be enchanted as Brooms of Flying?

No. You don't enchant existing items, you craft them as they are, and Broom of Flying is, well, a broom, not a javelin, even if you add a point at one end. You may throw it as an improvised weapon, though range of 20/60 is worse than what javelins normally get, and you don't get to use any feature that requires you to use an actual weapon. You'll have to use Dex instead of Str that way, though that may be a mixed blessing.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think there is any RAW at all on the topic of magic item creation. This would entirely be up to the DM since it would be a customized magic item. "Broom of Flying with the minor property - can be thrown like a javelin".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

while it is in the homebrew category, it does strike me as the type of thing you might expect a hag to quite literally throw at you

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Step 1: Acquire Broom of Flying
    Step 2: Take Charger feat
    Step 3: Sharpen end of broomstick
    Step 4: RAMMING SPEED!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

10th level Artificers can make Winged Boots out of normal boots. A Broom of Flying is not much different but is not on the approved list (ask your GM).

Take a javalin and attach bristles to make it a broom (this might weaken its use as a weapon). Then infuse it as a Broom of Flying.

Also
    You can send the broom to Travel alone to a destination within 1 mile of you if you speak the Command word, name the Location, and are familiar with that place.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2021-11-27 at 02:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

In Xanathar's, it mentions that, when crafting a magic item, it "invariably requires an exotic material to complete it."
    So, okay, is the Javelin magic to start with? If yes, it's already a magic item, so, you can't really turn it into a different one. If no, then, okay, we need to find the exotic material. Maybe that's the type of wood you carve the "javelbroom" from, or maybe you need the pinions of a magical bird to mix into the bristles.

The important thing is: It's still a Broom of Flying. You can't send it to "travel alone to a destination within a mile of you" that happens to be inside somebody's chest. If you're wanting to turn a javelin into a flying broom so that it's both things at once, the game isn't going to support your choices and a DM probably won't, either.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    In Xanathar's, it mentions that, when crafting a magic item, it "invariably requires an exotic material to complete it."
    So, okay, is the Javelin magic to start with? If yes, it's already a magic item, so, you can't really turn it into a different one. If no, then, okay, we need to find the exotic material. Maybe that's the type of wood you carve the "javelbroom" from, or maybe you need the pinions of a magical bird to mix into the bristles.

The important thing is: It's still a Broom of Flying. You can't send it to "travel alone to a destination within a mile of you" that happens to be inside somebody's chest. If you're wanting to turn a javelin into a flying broom so that it's both things at once, the game isn't going to support your choices and a DM probably won't, either.
    I hadn't thought of trying to make it autonomously attack. Just making it fly back to you, or let you hurl it further than it could fly on its own in one turn, either for somebody else to use, or possibly as a platform to jump to if you've got a sufficiently ridiculous jump distance.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I hadn't thought of trying to make it autonomously attack. Just making it fly back to you, or let you hurl it further than it could fly on its own in one turn, either for somebody else to use, or possibly as a platform to jump to if you've got a sufficiently ridiculous jump distance.
    You wouldn't need it to be a javelin for any of these uses. You can command a Broom of Flying to do those things, without throwing it.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    You wouldn't need it to be a javelin for any of these uses. You can command a Broom of Flying to do those things, without throwing it.
    I do not believe you can command a broom of flying to travel 120 feet in a single round on your turn.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I do not believe you can command a broom of flying to travel 120 feet in a single round on your turn.
    What is the athletics check DC to throw a broom 70ft while invoking a command word?

I believe another relevant approach would be the improvised weapon rules. IIRC if an improvised weapon resembles a normal weapon enough, the GM might rule it uses the normal weapon stats.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2021-11-30 at 02:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    What is the athletics check DC to throw a broom 70ft while invoking a command word?

I believe another relevant approach would be the improvised weapon rules. IIRC if an improvised weapon resembles a normal weapon enough, the GM might rule it uses the normal weapon stats.
    Ah, but see, should it somehow be relevant, you could actually throw a javelin without a check and possibly throw another one with Extra Attack.

I do see your point, though I was looking at it as javelins being designed to be thrown that far, while brooms of flying are not and cannot fly that far on their own in that time.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah, but see, should it somehow be relevant, you could actually throw a javelin without a check and possibly throw another one with Extra Attack.

I do see your point, though I was looking at it as javelins being designed to be thrown that far, while brooms of flying are not and cannot fly that far on their own in that time.
    I am looking at it as, the Broom-Javalin of Flying would be an improvised Javalin (due to the broom bristles degrading the Javalin flight) regardless of whether it started as a Broom, a Javalin, a Broom of Flying, or a Beholder (tragic polymorph).

I could imagine someone whittling the broomhead into a point. (or adding a pointed hat)
    I could imagine someone attaching bristles onto a javalin.

The end product would not be as easy to throw, but I could even imagine the guy at the gym throwing it. I just don't know the penalty or check.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2021-11-30 at 05:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

I am looking at it as, the Broom-Javalin of Flying would be an improvised Javalin (due to the broom bristles degrading the Javalin flight) regardless of whether it started as a Broom, a Javalin, a Broom of Flying, or a Beholder (tragic polymorph).

I could imagine someone whittling the broomhead into a point. (or adding a pointed hat)
    I could imagine someone attaching bristles onto a javalin.

The end product would not be as easy to throw, but I could even imagine the guy at the gym throwing it. I just don't know the penalty or check.
    I laughed at the addition of a pointed hat.

I have been picturing functional javelins that behave as brooms of flying. I do get the PoV that suggests they would have to be brooms, not javelins, and that javelins of flying should not be permitted.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I laughed at the addition of a pointed hat.
    Yup. Go down to the blacksmith and ask for a sharp pointed hat for your broom. Give them a javelin for context.

I recommend turning down their "Add barbs for just 10% more!" promotion. I don't think it is worth it.

I have been picturing functional javelins that behave as brooms of flying. I do get the PoV that suggests they would have to be brooms, not javelins, and that javelins of flying should not be permitted.
    Why not both? I think it is possible to throw a broom or to sweep with a javelin. It might just take a few modifications.

Yes, I would expect a Broom of Flying to require a broom, but I don't think that rules out javelins. Definitely worth asking your GM.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2021-12-01 at 01:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yup. Go down to the blacksmith and ask for a sharp pointed hat for your broom. Give them a javelin for context.

I recommend turning down their "Add barbs for just 10% more!" promotion. I don't think it is worth it..
    Well yes because then when it flew back itd bring the angry impaled thing to you to whack