New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: What do you do to reduce DM load? Any tricks?

Set reasonable goals and live by them

If I don't have time to prep a political intrigue campaign, I can't run one. When I'm out of time or emotional energy, the plots get bared down, the monsters come straight out of the manual, and the locations are taken whole from adventures or from my worldbuilding folder, where everything I think of goes before it's "in world". We still like Small Village asks Good Guys smash Bad Guys for Shiny Sword. When my schedule or mental health is erratic, I try to keep things episodic so I don't overcommit, and only go for two or three session plots, dungeons or quests.

Gather little and often

I have voice recordings, note apps, screenshots of inspiration from IG or forums or blogs, I listen to podcasts about D&D and watch YT videos and just take anything I think is cool and make a note of it. When I need something, I flick through what I have amassed and choose from my curated catalogue of content that inspires me. It's faster and easier to work when I am feeling excited by the content I've chosen and more gets done in less time.

This works doubly if you know any other DMs who want to share ideas, resources, point you in the direction of well structured modules etc.

It doesn't cut down prep time so not as useful, but it goes without saying all my homebrew also goes in this resource.

Structure my DM prep time as if it were an assignment or work project

It sounds kind of grim for a hobby, but I need this. When I start prep, I open a blank document, write the session # at the top, and then I put the last paragraph from last session, about where the PCs are right now. Then I bold out their options from here, and expand only on what I really need to, what struggle to improv. I do not suggest what the party might do at all, and I don't try too much to guess. I just list the things they have time and motivation to get to from where they are. If they need to travel overworld to get there, I structure that "day one... watch one... day two...". Random encounters don't feature often in my campaign but you could cut this prep out if you pace that way, which would be shorter.

Over time my notes get shorter and shorter because the doc is live. Its the only thing I have open when out of combat, and at the end of the session I can see clearly what I used, what I didn't, and what I needed to have put in because I couldn't improv it. My weak point is differentiating NPC dialogue. My strong point is description and combat management. So I prep bare bones for combat, barring custom monsters, and environment/NPC/interactive description, and I put dialogue pointers and bullet point motivations for my NPCs to keep me on track.

I get a feel for just how much my party can get done in a session. I think it might be easier to just see my notes for a session to give an idea of the structure, but fair warning it is long and unedited. My players are running through LMoP with some major alterations. This session took 2 hours of prep because it involved exposition and key NPC dialogue I didn't want to contradict myself later. We played the session in around 6 hours, finishing at the end of the wisp fight.

Spoiler: The Session Notes are long for a forum post, so I hid them here - excuse the caps, I use quote formatting in Writer
    Show
    TRIP TO PHANDALIN – watch passes – luck check DC15 Niramour’s horse returns
    The party arrives in Phandalin as the faint light of dawn colours the distant sky. As you come into town, the main street is still quiet, and a single oil lantern sputters its last at the closed doors to the Stonehill Inn. When you knock, the door opens slowly, filtering out the smell of baking pies, as Trilena sleepily lets you in and steps out into the cold dawn to untether the horses.
    “WHERE… WHERE IS THE OTHER HORSE?”

Linene approaches the party when they are packing out in the morning outside the Stonehill Inn. She looks sheepish and makes an uncertain start to conversation, very unlike when you last saw her.
    Linene Coster
    “… I… HOPED TO SEE YOU HERE. LISTEN. WE GOT OFF ON THE WRONG FOOT. I HEARD WHAT YOU DID, I SAW MIRNA AND THE BOYS, HOME. WHERE THEY BELONG.
    I WANTED TO APOLOGISE. AND AS A SHOW OF GOOD FAITH, ANYTHING YOU NEED FROM THE COSTER? WELL, YOU’LL HAVE THE LOCALS’ RATE. I WON’T SOON FORGET THIS.”

BACK IN PHANDALIN

MAIN QUEST EXPOSITION TIMEEEE…. SILDAR HALLWINTER
    Tolben is given a message to send the adventurer’s over to the Townmaster’s Hall at their earliest convenience.
    • Sildar has been instated in the town hall and has a room booked for several months at Stonehill Inn. He has taken on a major role in the town at his superior’s request – he can be found here

The Mayor’s Residence The town hall is a squat stone structure with a belltower at the back – you heard its’ peal during the fire. Outside the building is a notice board with a couple of advertisements for the Lionshield Coster and the Miner’s Exchange, along with the following notice: “REWARD – Orcs at Wyvern Tor. Enquire within”.
    Inside is a square main room, simply furnished, with several shelves, a desk, and a leather studded chair. One wall is formed of thick iron bars, separated down the middle to form two simple holding cells. The desk is neatly filled with papers, and Sildar sits with impeccable posture, a quill in one hand and a paper in the other.

Harbin holds the keys usually, but Sildar will have a copy soon.

• Sildar has received a response about the Black Spider from his superior at the Lord’s Alliance – a horse came from Neverwinter while the party travelled to Wyvern Tor

“HA. I AM EMBARRASSED BY YOUR EFFICACY. WELL, I SUPPOSE NOT ALL OF US ARE FORCED TO PROVIDE TRIPLICATE PARCHMENTS FOR OUR EXPLOITS.
    HARBIN IS TAKING A SHORT SABBATICAL WHILE ORDER IS RESTORED TO PHANDALIN. I HAVE BEEN LEFT THE DETAILS *RIFLES THROUGH PAPERS QUICKLY* AH YES, I SEE HERE. 100G. AND YOU SHALL HAVE IT.”

• The Black Spider is a kind of bandit orchestrator who normally causes problems North of Neverwinter. He has several bandit groups and goblin camps that raze and hold up various trade routes from time to time – he offers information about targets for these groups…. for a portion of the coin. The main group he is working with here is the Cragmaw tribe of goblins – a tribe that have a hierarchy and, by the sounds of it, a “King”.
    • The location of the castle is not currently known – Sildar suggests asking the locals, and if asked what he’s done will suggest several people recommended the local druid, Reidoth. He provides herbs to Sister Garaele and is good friends with Quelline Aldermath. They could also try to catch a raiding party of goblins, back in the area that they previously got ambushed… or they could search the woods for it themselves…
    • On a personal note, Sildar wants to know where Gundran is and if he’s still alive, he wants him rescued. His brothers were supposed to come back to town about 5 days ago, but they still haven’t arrived- they are linked through the Wave Echo Cave location.

AH, IF YOU WANT MY ADVICE? WELL, THERE IS NO “CRAGMAW CASTLE” HERE, NOR HAS THERE EVER BEEN. I HAVE A FEELING IT’S SOMEWHAT OF A MISNOMER.
    I WAS GIVEN A BRIEF BY THE LORD’S ALLIANCE BEFORE I TRAVELLED HERE, MAINLY INFORMATION FROM *PAINED EXPRESSION* IARNO’S REPORTS, THOUGH WHAT VALUE THEY HAVE NOW, WHO CAN SAY. *SIGH* WELL, AT ANY RATE, I’M GIVEN TO UNDERSTANDING THERE IS A SAGE OF SOME STANDING HERE, A DRUID? NAMED REIDOTH. OF ALL THE LOCALS, HE SEEMS THE ONLY ONE TO HAVE INCLINATION OR ABILITY TO EXPLORE THE REGION – ESPECIALLY GIVEN RECENT TENSIONS.”

Sildar has been given funds to solve this problem and is able to offer the players a reward of 500G if they locate Cragmaw Castle and remove the goblin clan

COMPLETE THE QUEST WITH DARAN EDERMATH

Daran is working the orchard when the party arrives. If evening he is in his abode or very occasionally at the Stonehill Inn.

THANK YOU. I KNEW I COULD TRUST YOU WITH THIS, YOU HAD MY FAITH AND I HAVE BEEN KINDLY REWARDED. *LOOKS AT BYRNE ESPECIALLY*
    THAT MAKES SENSE. THAT TOWER, IT HAS BEEN BUILT OVER SEVERAL TIMES BUT I UNDERSTAND IT USED TO BE THE HOME OF A POWERFUL MAGE. I WORRY WHAT THIS NECROMANCER MIGHT BE SEARCHING FOR... OR WHAT HE MAY HAVE ALREADY FOUND.
    I DON’T HAVE THE, AH, RESERVES I ONCE HAD WITH THE ORDER, BUT I STILL HOLD FAITH AND GOOD STANDING. I’LL PUT OUT THE WORD AND SEE IF I CAN’T ASK A FAVOUR OF AN OLD ALLY OR TWO.“

The party receives 60exp each for reporting back to Daran about the necromancer. Daran approaches the conversation end and hesitates, then opens the chest in his room with an arcane gesture and a silver key. He fishes through gleaming armours and thick cloaks to produce something small, which he rolls in his good hand hesitantly and then proffers to the party (hands to Byrne). It is a Ring of Protection. The band is two-tone silver and grey and inside the makers mark bears the stamp of the Order of the Gauntlet.

“I SUPPOSE THIS DOESN’T NEED TO STAY WITH ME ANYMORE… AND I HAVE A FEELING. WOULD YOU DO ME THE HONOUR OF FINDING A USE FOR THIS? *HANDS TO BYRNE*
    IT *LOOKS AT STUMP* COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE. THE SHRINE MAY BRING YOU LUCK, BUT THIS SHOULD OFFER YOU PROTECTION.”

QUELLINE ALDERLEAF AND THE SEARCH FOR REIDOTH

The halfling woman (late 30s, brunette, dressed in simple dress and with an apron on. Yorkshire adjacent, no-nonsense speech) is working the fields in the day or darning in the early hours or evening. She may or may not have Carp with her depending on the time. She heads to bed early. If they meet her at her home, Pip and Carp are playing noisily in the background and she may shout through to tell them to run along outside to play or shut the hell up.

WELL, HELLO AGAIN. WE HEARD ABOUT MIRNA AND THE REDBRANDS. THANK YOU. I SLEEP EASIER AT NIGHT KNOWING CARP WON’T BE IN DANGER FROM THOSE FOOLS. REIDOTH?
    OH, IF THERE’S SOMETHING TO KNOW ABOUT THIS AREA, HE’LL KNOW IT. BUT HE COULD BE GONE FOR TENDAYS YET… HE’S RESTLESS IN THE LATE WINTER.
    WELL, HE DID SAY HE WAS HEADING FOR THUNDERTREE… BUT ALL I KNOW IS THAT’S TO THE NORTH… MAYBE 70 MILES? SOMEWHERE SOUTH-EAST OF NEVERWINTER, UP-RIVER. HE’S BEEN GONE NEARLY TWO TENDAYS NOW. NOT THAT THAT’S UNUSUAL… ALTHOUGH I DO WORRY.”

The party might head to Thundertree for Reidoth, or look for Cragmaw Castle themselves, depending on their decision making!

TO THUNDERTREE!
    Thundertree is 70 miles away. The party could choose to cut through the Neverwinter woods but most of the journey could take the High Road to Neverwinter and is safe… well… as safe as it can be.

First day’s ride …
    The party passes by the ambush site. The scalped remains of the two horses are shoved off the side of the road and several large pieces have been cut off them for meat.
    DC10 survival check shows small footed track marks and scuffs. DC15 shows the boots are ****ty, worn, mismatched. There are drag marks on the ground.
    DC15 perception shows several arrows embedded in trees nearby, slightly off the road past the drag marks, a piece of torn cloth, and blood. The blood is fresher than when they were ambushed.
    First night’s watch…
    If the watch rolls a DC10 perception, they see two skinny, scruffy wolves skulking around the fire slowly sniffing. If no offensive action is taken the wolves lie down at the edge of the firelight and whine. If Lach’Alahn or Niramour are on watch, a DC12 insight reminds them of the two wolves they set free in the Cragmaw caves.
    If they feed the wolves, they pass the night at the camp and leave as dawn approaches. 1d6 by watchman, on 5-6 they growl menacingly into the night at one point and party hears a rustle as a ‘something’ disappears into the brush. A check in the morning light shows several marks of several beasts.
    If they attack, the wolves are shown to be extremely under-nourished, and both attempt to flee.
    Second day’s ride… nothing happens.
    Second watch …
    Third day’s ride

The party moves into the woodland on the old naval road to Thundertree, off the High Road. They move into a swampy area as they near the river. The crooked marsh trees block a lot of light in sections. A gloomy mist hangs. It’s clear there was once a road here, but as Thundertree was abandoned more than a decade ago the marshes have grown in thickly. There is a sickly damp, unpleasant smell and DC10 perception shows shapes periodically writhing in the murky waters. The water is not safe to drink.
    Encounter 1 An enormous, rabid “mastiff” confronts the party. Its’ jaws are foamed and its’ eyes bloodshot. DC12 medicine or nature – it’s poisoned, medicine check – lesser restoration may help. It shows no fear and is immediately aggressive. If the party moves off the path during the encounter into the ankle (knee for Byrne) deep waters, they are attacked by 1d4+3 poisonous snakes.

Encounter 2 A wisp hangs swinging like a lantern in hand in the woods ahead of the party. As the marsh gets thicker there appears to be a Y-turn. A survival check from those proficient shows the left Y is directly along the river toward Thundertree (supposedly) and the right is longer. The left is the original road, the right is a trampled path made by feet rather than constructed as road. If the party takes the left road, the wisp hangs close and waits for the party to step in the water, alerting 6 poisonous snakes and 2 constrictors. Once a member of the party is attacked successfully by one of the snakes the wisp moves in and joins combat.

BEING AMBUSHED TO FIND THE INFORMATION!

If the party attempts to be ambushed or ambush the goblins they must stake out the area where Sildar and Gundran’s horses were shot. After 1d6+1 hours, or at dusk, whichever sooner, they will find a scouting party composed of 3 goblins and a bugbear, all of whom are sneaking through the underbrush to set up for another ambush. They will begin dragging the horse carcasses out into the road if they are not attacked by/do not see the party. If they see the party, they will attempt to pot-shot them as they escape into the woods. The party only needs to capture one of the enemies alive. A goblin will talk easier than a bugbear, but the bugbear will better communicate the location of the castle. Neither require an outrageous amount of persuasion, but the bugbear must feel it will be let go alive to give the party what it wants. The goblin won’t think that far ahead—fear is a powerful motivator. Under duress a goblin will lead the way to the castle themselves. A bugbear will not.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Some tricks I use -

I do my adventure prep in Google Docs. I have one Doc with quick stat-blocks for creatures I use and can copy/paste the stat blocks for the adventure I'm running into a different sheet for the current adventure. Takes some time to set it up, but once you enter a statblock once, you have it. And it's a compressed statblock:

Badger, Giant:
    Medium Beast
    AC:10 HP:13 Speed:30’ Burrow 10’ CR(XP):¼(50)
    Str:+1 Dex:0 Con:+2 Int:-4 Wis:+1 Cha:-3
    Passive Percep: 11, Darkvision 30’
    Keen Smell: Adv on Perception checks for smell
    Attacks:
    Multiattack(Bite + Claw)
    Bite +3 (1d6+1 pierce dam)
    Claws +3 (2d4+1 slash dam)

Another thing is I have encounter trackers in google sheets. I have columns for mini, monster, AC, mx hp, damage, and attacks. Like with the Docs, I have one sheet with these filled out so I can copy/paste the encounters for the adventure I'm currently running.

One thing I do at the table is I use group initiative. One d20 roll for the players and one for the monsters (No bonuses for either). Whomever turn it is can act in any order - So I don't need to track initiative.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

For me, the biggest things to easing my efforts in D&D (at the table) was streamlining monster statblocks. There is just so much information in there, and so little of it ends up being needed. The trouble is that all of it is needed at SOME point in SOME game, so it's hard to know what to cut. For me, I write out my monsters like this:

Red Wyrmling HP 75 AC 17
    Attack +6, 9+3 fire
    Breath 24 fire, 15' cone

If I need something more, I can always pull up the actual statblock, but it's amazing how little I need to. If Speed or Special Senses are a big deal in a given scenario, I write those down too. But it's amazing how often I can get away with this shorthand. And it speeds up my processing of turns in combat hugely.

I also don't use spells very often for monsters/NPC's. I don't have them all memorized, and I don't really want to. I tend to shorthand the cool stuff as limited use abilities and keep them limited to 1-3 things per monster/NPC.

Note that this stuff actually generates a little bit of prep time (10-30 minutes) for ease of play at the table. If it's not a concern at the table and you want to kill pre-game prep, I don't recommend them.

To reduce pre-game prep, I haven't had any better advice than to read Sly Flourish's Return of the Lazy Dungeonmaster. (This is the second thread I've mentioned this in over the last week, I'm not trying to shill it, I just like it.) It has all sorts of minimalist prep ideas.
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khrysaes View Post
    So, I was thinking about this while doing homework, sorry if it is rambling.

What do people do to reduce DM load?

I have been researching to try and get better at DMing, both more efficient and less pressured.

My problem is that there always seems to be too much for me to do, not enough time to prep, or too much to remember OR reference.

My main strategy has been to play premade adventures, read them beforehand, restructure notes that I make such that they make sense to me, and keep a reference of other things I need to remember.

That said, I still want to get better, so I thought I would pick the playgrounds collective brain, and see if there were things I can blatantly steal to improve my own DMing.
    You sound like you're using a similar method to me in trying to use existing mods and modify as needed. It's still a lot of work, so I get it. I do think choice of mod makes a lot of difference in terms of how much prep/ modification is needed.
    Out of the Abyss was comparatively good in that regard. Curse of Strahd was good. Ghosts of Saltmarsh was playable as is, but IMO was a lot better with considerable re-fluffing of all the non-Sauhagan adventures and adding shipboard travelling bits so that the remaining baddies were connected. Descent into Avernus was a HUGE pile of work, which I didn't mind cause I loved the ideas and was happy to fill in the blanks; do not DM this if you are trying to be time efficient.
    Of course those are my opinions, and mileage will vary, but I think the more information you have before committing on behalf of your group the less work you will have to put in.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

The best advice I've hear is DM'ing is like playing music. When you make a mistake, the worst thing you can do is stop.

Don't stop. Just go with the flow. Make a mental note that you might need to read up on that rule or situation and explain to the group OUTSIDE of play time that you made a mistake and this will be what changes moving forward, but when you are playing, the whole goal of DM'ing is to keep the action moving.

Yes, combat takes a long time. Yes, having good access to cheat sheets, laptops, DM screen, generic names, etc. is all part of prepwork.

Also, I really like the idea of delegating some of the ambiance of playing to the players. Have a player be in charge of background noise or music. Don't be in charge of snacks or drinks (delegate that). The more they do, then the less they will feel bored while you do all the heavy lifting, which is inevitable.

And as stated before, don't let the dice rule the roost. Sure, dice add some randomness to the game, but so can you. If you want one hit to be a lot of damage just to mix things up, use some colorful language and make it happen. If you want a hit by monsters to only cause a scratch in a battle that is otherwise going to be easily won, go ahead. You want the APPEARANCE of randomness, but that is really the most important thing. If you are fair and don't have it out for the players, just use your imagination to add texture and detail to the adventure.

The best times by players are almost always "close but made it". Games where their decisions matter (or feel like they matter) between success and failure. So create that atmosphere even if it means stretching RAW or ignoring dice.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post
    The best times by players are almost always "close but made it".
    I'll note on this (while remaining neutral about fudging dice) that what seems close to players is not necessarily what seems close to the DM. Because the DM knows the full state, while the players don't. That has led me to think a lot of stuff was a cake-walk, when the players felt it was much more closely-fought. Because I saw what the enemies AND PCs still had in the tank and that the end was inevitable after round 2, while the players only saw their own resources dropping.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I'll note on this (while remaining neutral about fudging dice) that what seems close to players is not necessarily what seems close to the DM. Because the DM knows the full state, while the players don't. That has led me to think a lot of stuff was a cake-walk, when the players felt it was much more closely-fought. Because I saw what the enemies AND PCs still had in the tank and that the end was inevitable after round 2, while the players only saw their own resources dropping.
    This is a great point. The players see the game from a different angle and often have a slightly different take on many things. Sometimes after an adventure or campaign is over I like to sit with the players and ask questions and see their take on things. I have learned a lot as a GM doing these post story arch debriefings. It is sometimes fun as well as informative to hear what they were thinking or feeling at times.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    This is a great point. The players see the game from a different angle and often have a slightly different take on many things. Sometimes after an adventure or campaign is over I like to sit with the players and ask questions and see their take on things. I have learned a lot as a GM doing these post story arch debriefings. It is sometimes fun as well as informative to hear what they were thinking or feeling at times.
    I try to make sure to pay attention to what they say. Especially those who have sat on both sides of the screen. I've had people come back after their first session of DM'ing going "wow, it looks so much different from that seat...."

Although my current party has developed out-of-band communication protocols to scheme against me... I'm just glad they're into it enough to do so.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I've had people come back after their first session of DM'ing going "wow, it looks so much different from that seat...."
    So much truth to this. Oh so much.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

10. - Top - End - #40

AssassinGuy

Doesn't help prep much, but during combat I usually let some of my more experienced players run the NPCs where possible. That definitely helps move combat along and lets me focus on what the baddies are going to do. Despite the fact I'm an experienced DM, I still get to the end of combat occasionally and realize I've forgotten a significant monster ability and to some extend let the party off the hook. Giving away control of NPCs helps with that a bit.

11. - Top - End - #41

AssassinGuy

Note: My techniques are not to everyone's taste, and are very controversial.......

1. Outsource more of the work to the players by asking them things like, "You see a person in trouble, tell me; who are they? What is their relationship to you? Why do you care what happens to them?" They are now creating the hooks and story, not you.

2. Combat is just a way to resolve story points or add complications, it is not the be all of the game. Therefore, if combat does not serve any purpose.... don't have it. If you do have it, make it only as useful as it needs to be. When it no longer serves its purpose, dispose of it.

3. Roll dice as little as possible, or to indicate time it takes to accomplish something; not to resolve its success. Never let a dice roll get in the way of helping move things forward.

4. Less is more. Only create or add things when they are needed.

5. Dispose of most resource management, as it is only intended to be a complication. Make it only relevant when it is relevant.

6. Always keep the pace of the game flowing, let important scenes breath, while unimportant scenes are written off quickly. I.e. interacting with a key NPC should take as long as it needs, while buying lunch for the party is a throw away moment.....

7. Dispose of most system crunch as it is only a means to adding or removing complication for the players. You can bypass as little or as much of it as is needed. The only thing that matters is the method is which players resolve actions occurs, everything else is window dressing.

8. Listen to what the players are asking for, and give them what they want in the game. If they want to solve diplomatic issues, do that. If they want to eventually fight the big bad, let them. You only add complications and plot beats on their way to achieving their goals

9. Lastly remember that rules are for players, and not GMs. The rules are simply there to create friction and complications for players to overcome.

As I said, my techniques are very controversial, and some would say they rip the heart out of what playing an RPG is about. However, they work for me.
    *This Space Available*

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    1. Outsource more of the work to the players by asking them things like, "You see a person in trouble, tell me; who are they? What is their relationship to you? Why do you care what happens to them?" They are now creating the hooks and story, not you.
    I admit I am real curious now, what if the player said "I don't know them and do not care what happens to them. I am moving on now." No story, no hook. What do you as the GM do?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I make lots of notes. The better I can link them to when I need them, the easier it is. I use software for the making of maps and encounters, so I can always have bits of fluff, information, stats, and whatever is needed ready to be brought up at a seconds notice. This really front loads my work, but lets me coast through the session with the players.

I have a wide world, but not a deep world. I know the shape of the continent, where the cities, towns, dungeons, encounters, and other points of interest are. Each of these has notes on several points or persons of interest; how things relate and connect with the world, and briefs on NPCs. If the players breeze through something, no more depth need be added. If they find something that strikes their fancy, I add to it, and make sure to note what has been added so consistency can be maintained. This also front loads the work, but lets me coast by in session.

It seems like with the workload you have, this wont really help you.

Improvise. Improvise. Improvise. The better you can think on your feet and make stuff up as you go, the less you need to front load. I don't need to know all the members of a town's population, but I can make up The guy sitting in the corner of the inn chewing tobacco, wearing an eye patch. If the players don't care, he can remain a bit of fluff. If they find him interesting, maybe he becomes the line to whatever hook is needed, or even just an odd memorable social interaction. The more you improvise, the less you have to prepare; but it is important to make sure you note everything you improvise to maintain consistency in the world. If one session the guy in the corner is wearing an eye patch and chewing tobacco, and in some later session he has two eyes but is missing an nose and is smoking cigars, the disconnect is jarring (unless it can be explained in game for some reason; a spy, a thieves guild contact, just a nutter who thinks someone is out to get him, and maybe someone is...).

Little things I do are lumping initiative, have macros for the monsters attack rolls, figuring out NPCs general disposition before the battle starts, making sure I have the basic information of the players so I don't need to wait to know if an attack hit or other such things, knowing what spells, if any, are going to be cast by NPCs in the upcoming session and having notes on those.

I guess, in short, I plan way in advance to have everything at my fingertips when the session happens and cover the rest by making it up as I go. If you're falling behind planning on a weekly basis, maybe switching to bi-weekly and doing a bit more then one session's worth of prep in the two weeks... but this might also make you forget things and be counter productive.

Only other thing I can think is that the more you DM, the more you'll get a feel for what you need to do for your style of DMing. Oh, and train your players to pitch in. If they can find the relevant information to any dilemma while you're pushing ahead with whatever else needs to be done everything runs smoother, more or less. You don't want them to overrule you on things; but if you train them to be like... 'I cast such and such spell, and here is the information for the nuts and bolts of that spell,' or 'I use ability xyz, it does this, you can see it on page # of this book' and another player double checks it while you move on, it saves time and effort. Having players that you can trust the word of and are proactive also makes everything run much smoother, but can be more difficult to obtain and is not always something you can control. If they won't lie or fudge things, that makes everything go more quickly, and you wont feel the need to check to make sure, and if other players are checking while you keep pushing ahead, so much the better. If they are paying attention, know when they need to act, and can chime in if their knowledge can help, it also makes things go more smoothly. This last bit might be most helpful to you if you can train your players to pitch in.

14. - Top - End - #44

Wow. A lot more advice than I thought I would ever get. Thank you guys so much. I will definitely have to thoroughly read through it all carefully.

That said, if I make replies it may take me a bit.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    I admit I am real curious now, what if the player said "I don't know them and do not care what happens to them. I am moving on now." No story, no hook. What do you as the GM do?
    Then we move on. Me telling them why they know them or what the hook is won't make a player like that anymore interested.

However, most players WANT to play along and not just stone wall the DM. In a lot of cases, it is a nice way for the players to help make this a living world and tied into their characters.
    *This Space Available*

16. - Top - End - #46

Then we move on. Me telling them why they know them or what the hook is won't make a player like that anymore interested.

However, most players WANT to play along and not just stone wall the DM. In a lot of cases, it is a nice way for the players to help make this a living world and tied into their characters.
    No argument from me, I was just interested in what would happen if the player didn't have the answers or know how to build the story hook for you. But yes, I do agree most of the time a player wants to help and play along.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

One thing I've been trying to do more of recently is to cut back to ultra-simple battle maps and tokens. In the last campaign I ran I wound up spending way too much time with image searches and mapping software and photoshop and crap.

As I said, my techniques are very controversial, and some would say they rip the heart out of what playing an RPG is about. However, they work for me.
    I mean, they're excellent advice--that sort of stripped-down game can be an absolute blast. It's just that D&D is a bad starting point because by the time you finish ripping out unnecessary rules and combat and resource management and all the rest there's nothing left but scraps.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

18. - Top - End - #48

PaladinGuy

We rotate DMs between three of us. When one needs a break, we pause that game and play another. We usually have two going at once. Really helps with DM burnout, and we all get to play.

When I DM, I use google docs, a notepad and pencil, a laptop with notes open and tabs open to monsters. I write up a recap digitally after the session (usually the next day) and read it at the start of the next session. I archive each session's notes so I can go back and reference the old info. I will also record the session on occasion, which helps me not miss stuff, but it is only moderately helpful and pretty time consuming. I also use a tablet to display pictures of NPCs and creatures they encounter (open to a folder on google docs).

I use theater of mind for simple combats, and scatter terrain when we do use the battle board. I have found that Pathfinder Pawns work great for medium and small creatures to avoid confusion, but for large and up, I like to use minis.

19. - Top - End - #49

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    I mean, they're excellent advice--that sort of stripped-down game can be an absolute blast.

It's just that D&D is a bad starting point because by the time you finish ripping out unnecessary rules and combat and resource management and all the rest there's nothing left but scraps.
    I have even made it work for D&D BUT it was a bit harder because the players had more system knowledge. Even then, D&D is basically just roll high on a dice for "better results" and once HP is maxed, it dies. I left player resources up to the players to track and only asked about "where they were at" after some resource use to keep them honest. As long as I was consistent about what a successful DC from encounter to encounter, then it really didn't matter much beyond that. :)

If you keep the game moving, adding complications/twists, and avoid getting bogged down; then most players do not look that close. They just want to have fun!
    *This Space Available*