New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Writing spells into another wizards book (help)

So I have two arcane spellcasters in my party, they both use spellbooks. We've picked up a few scrolls along our adventures and they were trying to figure out how to put the spells into both of their books. One of them has an absolute garbage skill check on spellcraft, we don't trust him with copying them.

The plan we had was for the "better" caster to copy the spells into his book and let the other attempt from there, cause then if he failed to do it, the other could still use it in the meantime. But we thought why can't we just cut out the middleman? What's stopping the "better" caster from writing it into the other casters book himself? We couldn't find any ruling on it, the most we could find was DMs and other players saying notation and encryption.

So I came here to get opinions from you guys. Let me know your thoughts.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Writing spells into another wizards book (help)

Preparing a spell that was written by another Wizard requires a successful Spellcraft check. He'd need to make the check each time he prepares the spell, though Complete Arcane has rules allowing one Wizard to "master" the notation of another, so he no longer has to make those checks for spells written by that particular other Wizard. "Mastering" the notation also requires Spellcraft checks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

You could have the other wizard go over the spell with him after he has learnt the spell.
    this would give a +2 to 'Knolage Arcana' to mentor him in the spell with a DC 10+Spell level.

If mentoring FAILS then the spell is REMOVED form the available spells to that charicter as they are unable to comprehend the magic of the spell

or

he could make a scroll and then try to teach the other wizard from it. this would cost some gold and EXP though.
    Learning a spell off scroll is a 'DESIPHER SCRIPT' check with a DC of 10 + level of the spell.
    if the wizard who made the scrole is available you get a +4 bonus to the roll.

if you fail the roll you can't try to learn the spell again untill you level up.

once leared it costs 10 X Spell level to incribe the spell into your spell book

The spellcraft of both wizards isn't a factor, since spellcaft is the ability to recogniss a spell when its BEING cast, ie what the other side is saying and waving there arms about means.

This is the Fast way and takes one day per spell.

the slow way.......

each wizard co-operaites on magical reasurch and spends many a night chating over the camp fire talking magic and probly boring all there non- magical companions to death.

Each Wizzard PC may shaire his researched spells with his companion (starting spells and bonuse spells per level).

and may share other learned spells at one per week. no tests or cost required...

rules from Page 196-197 DMG Learning Spells.
    Last edited by Morty_Jhones; 2021-11-28 at 05:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not really sure where you're getting some of that.

Edit: I see now you said you got it from the DMG. But all I see there is:
    Wizards must learn new spells and add them to their spellbooks. This process is detailed in the Player’s Handbook (see Arcane Magical Writings, page 178).
    Last edited by Maat Mons; 2021-11-28 at 05:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Sorry was looking at a compressed version of the book.

Try DMG page 198 - Learning new spells...

Has all the detailes there...

though paragaph 4 line one is of perticuler note....

".... Two PC wizzards may share spells."
    Last edited by Morty_Jhones; 2021-11-28 at 07:18 PM.