New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default (3.5) Favored of Tiamat / Dragon Disciple building

Okay, so just to give everyone a heads-up: I'm aware that DD isn't exactly considered a good (heck, probably not even decent) PrC, and Favored Souls, while being smiled upon by their chosen deity, similarly don't hold much favor with players when compared to the cleric.

With that out of the way, I was enamored with the DD class ever since I first laid eyes upon it, at least fluff-wise. I've always wanted to either play one in the group or use one as a villain. Let me refer to her from this point as the Daughter of Tiamat (DoT for short), because yes, that seems grand and arrogant enough for someone linked to a draconic deity.

So characterization-wise the plan was for the DoT to grow up with multiple voices whispering in her head which turn out to belong to, you guessed it, "mommy" Tiamat, and either embracing what she tells her (villain) or fighting against it/refusing mother's nagging (player character).

We haven't really played far into the high levels, so at most I'd probably be looking at level 10, maybe 15. I know DoT wouldn't get to complete her dragon apotheosis with that but still. My plan was to go for a melee build using the claws and breath weapon for combat, with the few spells I got reserved for a bit of buffing or maybe healing.

Someone suggested I could use the Magical Training feat (Player's Guide Faerun) which would allow me to stay single-classed to get into DD. Alternatively I was considering dipping either into sorcerer (excellent fluff, either keep familiar or use an ACF) or Duskblade (probably best melee pick while fulfilling the "arcane casting" clause). Race would probably be a bog-standard human - I took a look at Silverbrow Humans or Forestlord Elves, but I feel especially the former would be in conflict with the Tiamat fluff. Extra Exhalation might be something I'd pick, but that talent only gives one more use. Wasn't there a talent that allowed one to just keep using your breath weapon every 1d4 turns instead of one more time? And I must admit, despite reading several threads about natural weapons I'm still a bit foggy on claw attacks and how they behave, but are there any good ways to improve them?

I can make use of most 3.5 books, notably excluded is the Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum and (while not a single book per se) the various Dragon magazines. Anything out of Draconomicon, Dragon Magic and Races of the Dragon is naturally highly favored. Thanks for any suggestions, ideas and tips in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Favored of Tiamat / Dragon Disciple building

Quote Originally Posted by Painfool View Post
    Wasn't there a talent that allowed one to just keep using your breath weapon every 1d4 turns instead of one more time?
    yep! its from Races of the Dragon (page 98)! Its called Dragon Breath.

Pre Reqs: 6 HD, breath weapon, Half-dragon

lets you use your 1/day breath weapon 1/1d4 rounds instead (which qualifies you for lots of other neat breath feats that require a cooldown in rounds on your breath weapon)
    Last edited by Remuko; 2021-11-28 at 09:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Ah dang, would need to be half-dragon for that already though. To be fair, I realize it'd be smarter to just pick the half-dragon template right away then instead of DD, but I'd miss out on the fluff then.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

There is the dragonborn template for the breath, always nice with entangling exhalation, but I am not sure how fitting you would find it for your character. Could always fluff as appropriate of course.

I'd stay single classed and use that feat to qualify as you mentioned and also push to level 6 to pick up 3rd level spells before prestige.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

A dragonborn would be practical, but I feel that it would make the slow progression to a half-dragon moot due to looking fairly draconic already. (I really shouldn't care so much about fluff, but unlike a DD I can't get out of my skin. )

True, third level spells from a sixth level in Favored Soul before starting down the path of DD would be more useful than spending those bonus spells on second level ones. Plus I'd get one more BAB and +1 to all saves, that should come in handy too!

I never played any sort of divine class before, anyone have recommendations on what spells to pick?