New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Who Has the Skills?!

So, I learned recently that Donjon (bless that site for making random dungeon generation a breeze) basically just automated all of the encounter tables. The problem is, they only have the Monster Manual, MtoF, and Volo's in their database, yet they have some magic items from other books...

So, I guess my question is: Is there anyone here willing to try and make a dungeon/magic item/encounter generator in a similar manner to Donjon, but incorporating like... everything that we currently have?

Donjon's code is even open source as far as I can tell, so there's... really no reason someone couldn't do it. (I would if I had any coding skill).

...Yeah, that's all I got.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Who Has the Skills?!

Quote Originally Posted by DevanAvalon View Post
    So, I learned recently that Donjon (bless that site for making random dungeon generation a breeze) basically just automated all of the encounter tables. The problem is, they only have the Monster Manual, MtoF, and Volo's in their database, yet they have some magic items from other books...

So, I guess my question is: Is there anyone here willing to try and make a dungeon/magic item/encounter generator in a similar manner to Donjon, but incorporating like... everything that we currently have?

Donjon's code is even open source as far as I can tell, so there's... really no reason someone couldn't do it. (I would if I had any coding skill).

...Yeah, that's all I got.
    If the source code is open source, then it probably wouldn't be too hard for you to learn as I think you would just be adding options, or making a new program with new options but otherwise the same structure.

So what you would need to do is identify the structure of declaring an option to randomly generate, and add new options or change the options that can be output.

I.e. if the logic should be something like

generate a random number 1-x
    if (number value)
    then (output y)
    else if (number value)
    then (output z)

and you just add options or change the existing option.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I have most of one. The issue is generating the data in machine readable fashion, not the actual coding. Encounter generation is the piece my tool doesn't do, mostly because I haven't figured out how I want to slice the issue (since CR isn't useful to me for this due to my particular style).
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Just updating donjon would be amazing, because i use it a ton too.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika