New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Total War Hanrui 4: World War Hanrui IC

Turn 1

'In war we must always leave room for strokes of fortune, and accidents that cannot be foreseen.' - Polybius

The lands of Hanrui. Long have they slumbered beneath the waves, forgotten to all but the most ancient of organizations, horrors, and divinities. The nations and peoples that had lived on these massive islands did not all make it off as the lands were subsumed once more by the mists and waves, leaving the land a mystery except for one myth. Legends of a great Primordial Hydra subsuming the power of Hanrui and sinking deep within the land once more like a snake in wait. It is whispered about by those ancients who yet remember, “Hanrui is the path to both power and disaster, it prays on the weak.” A cautionary tale from the mists of time to remind themselves of the folly they can reap by believing themselves all powerful.

Yet only a handful of years ago the lands were re-discovered! Among the thickest of mists a brave adventurer crew discovered new lands charting a safe route to them for all the world to use. Yet things were not as the ancient tales foretold it, the lands that emerged were but a fractured remnant of islands.

However over the next several years nearby nations nearby started to report weird energies starting to appear within their nations, natural landscapes and features started to change and mutate. In the South-East the mountains started to writhe and change, gaping hydra heads and multiple kilometer long necks. It was determined that the curse has been corrupted and is spreading through the nearby continents. None know what the long term ramifications will be as the nations rush to take advantage of the new resources and changes.

None believed the tales of these lands, the ancient tales of Hanrui lost to time. That was concern for the ancient and the scared. Young and hungry nations, factions from the ancient world powers, and new groups all leading expeditions against the council of the ancients of the world. The lure of these newly risen and empty lands to great to pass by, same as the changing adapting lands around it. However there are only so many resources and treasures to be discovered and taken.

Much has been discovered on the new land, not all of it comforting. The remnants of a nation of Hobbits and the ruins of what seem to be another state nearby. An ancient broken ship that gave off horrifying energies and reeked of ancient sacrifice. An ancient fortress full of dessicated dead dwarves with a hint of the divine within them. A dead city full of the remnants of clockwork golems. A broken battlefield full of the dark dancing remnants of the fae torturing long broken souls. A shattered lodge in a mountain full of destroyed ancient potions and artifice. A city drowned in ancient magic and learning. A desolate mountain full of broken armies and forgotten cities. An ancient mountain full of long dead dragons surrounded by elemental energies.

Now these lands once more have powerful forces trying to draw out its secrets and riches. The ancient gods and beings await the chaos they expect to see for the next few years with anticipation… and popcorn.

Pillar

Valencia stands atop the Pillar as the wind howls around her. The Pillar of Wisdom once again stands on Hanrui soil, the order of various arcane magic users scurry below her, settling the Pillar into its new home. Cadres of battle mages and Emerald Guard ride out to make the nearby villages aware of the new rulers while groups of diviners get the lay of the land. Everyone else is busy recharging the arcane batteries of the tower.

They may have returned but that does not mean the Pillar forgot their hard won lessons that ended the life of the original founder Arcturus. The ‘living’ reminder of that stood beside her as she pondered her place in this deadly land, Titan the Undying.

Valencia turns to the mass of fused flesh beside her, “What do you remember of Hanrui Titan? Was it as bad as the archives say?”

The towering figure doesn’t turn to her, continuing to stare out at the water “It was worse. I did not think the Pillar would last long enough to see another rise of Hanrui. I curated the sources over time to make sure the followers of the Pillar would never reach that terrified state they were in as we left Hanrui. Without their founder, mages dead or burned out from the rushed teleport, and fearful of survivors of Hanrui pursuing us across oceans.”

Valencia raises an eyebrow at Titan and the mass of hulking flesh continues “Evil was everywhere those days. A Hive of evil that came from the stars, breaking mortals like twigs and bending them to their will. A city of the dead that slowly spread through the lands of the living. A city state of witches and slavers that treated man as a commodity to be used and spent in the most horrifying ways. Another city full of blood mages and summoners who broke the world in their attempt to control it. Flaming soldiers of a burned god bringing fire and sword throughout the land. The forces fighting for good were destroyed in savage attacks and betrayals. Allies we thought working for good turned to the forces of evil. True titans walked Hanrui those days, beings that warped the world and sunk lands. I was nothing in comparison. The raw power of the Voice of War that could destroy armies and cities alone. The False Sun, Vetali, that shook the laws of the universe with her mere breath. Panopticon, the Primordial in the Night, that saw everything the night touched.”

Valencia rests a hand on the crook of Titans arm “Well you're still here while those ancient civilizations have passed on and their titans have been lost to time.”

Titan shakes his head slowly but without any doubt in his eyes “No. Those beings aren’t dead. Not even the Voice that was destroyed by Vetali. They all survive to this day, just on another plane more able to contain their raw power then the mere mortal one. Besides, I am not what I once was... I have diminished.”

Valencia turns back to face the ocean once more, the untold opportunities and possibilities of Hanrui. “Then we will renew you.”

Bank

“Sell your soul now! Can promise good rates if sold immediately. Good rates will not apply if soul is sold after acts of unspeakable evil.”

The tag line is attached to hundreds of small arcane crystals that contain a prerecorded message and illusion magic. When the crystal is activated an illusion appears above it and starts to speak. The starting illusion is of a massive pit fiend in a too tight suit he looks liable to bulge out of, with a toothy smile he starts smiling and walking as if he was going somewhere.

“Hello potential customers! Seeing this message means you have been considered as a possible pre-approved customer with the Nine-Layered Bank. We think of our pre-approved customers as almost family. We forgive all deeds you may have done in the past and come to you on fresh terms, we don’t bring up your murders and you don’t bring up our goal to slowly corrupt and ruin the mortal plane for our eternal masters.”

The large pit fiend laughs boisterously, waving a claw as if it was all in good fun before he gestures at another devil that is entering the view of the illusions. A tall sinfully beautiful woman enters the view with eyes as red as flame, smiling a smile capable of making a monk blush.

“Well said Sir. As the head of our Customer Services department I can say we do have the occasional customer trying to pull one over on us; they try to renege on their payment, pass along fake goods, incorrect information, or plain refuse us.”

The pit fiend gasps and the erineye sadly nods before looking directly back at the view that slowly pans in her as she speaks. “To those thinking of following in the footsteps of those unfortunate souls just remember. We are the shadows in the alley on your way home. The dirty little secret that can sink your position at work, the unfortunate interaction that can sink your standing with your peers, the blade in the night that can collect what we are owed through blood and sacrifice.”

The camera instantly backs back out to the regular view and she gestures back at Sir “But we are sure our new pre-approved customers would never be so low and ungrateful. You are our new friends and as we say.”

Eye and Sir both chorus together “Friends do favors without fail!”

A speedy disclaimer follows at the end, barely readable at the high speeds.

The Nine Layered Bank is not responsible for any maiming, dismemberment, injury, scarring, hysteria, or death to either the body or soul of any customer that comes from the signing of the soul contracts of the bank. The Bank will deliver the payment in the customers choice of gold, resources, souls, slaves, magic, weapons, or blasphemic materials. The Bank is not responsible if materials result in cults forming or spontaneous appearance of either divine or demonic beings attracted to the materials. The Nine Layered Bank is not responsible for any heroes that are attracted to you for either having dealt with the corrupting forces of evil or for having corrupting materials of the forces of evil. However heroes can be accepted as a form of payment depending on your contract. Enjoy the spoils of your contract with the corrupting forces of evil and have a nice day!

Golemarchy

Solemnus does something he has not done since that incursion of Yuan-ti thought it would be a good idea to loot his city 1500 years ago, he moves. Like when he did then he manages to create a large startle among those around him. Yet unlike the previous time, where the startle quickly turned into a brutal massacre, this time the startle is followed by cheering. His people were finally awake and they cheered to see the eternal protector still on watch.

Finally Hanrui had risen once more and they Golemarchy could continue where they left off. It had only been a few months and they had not made contact with anyone else yet but the land looked very different. The mountains were no longer nearby and the ocean was right beside them. Maybe something to talk to Runemother about now that she was awake.

The massive figure slowly starts to make his way through the city to the center, pondering what to do next now that they were awake. They would need to renew their alliances with the nearby groups. They needed lots of raw magic they could not provide themselves. Surely the Lodge had not gone far? Those flesh warpers were too sturdy to have disappeared in a few mere millenia. The Fae too should surely still be around? The beings made of raw magic would surely be useful as either allies or power sources for their mag-techs to use. HE couldn’t imagine anything happening to them.

Though to be fair he did not expect the massive mountain sized Hydra bursting from the ocean and causing the crazy amounts of chaos that occurred. Was Khalos still kicking around in the dungeons deep within Hanrui somewhere?

So many questions to have answered. He will send out some explorer units to find the lay of the land. Thankfully he comes to the city hall in the center, one of the few buildings large enough to have an area or two he can fit. He enters through the massive back entrance made for him specifically, seeing the mason units working on refurbishing the building.

He enters the council room to find Runemother waiting for him. The massive mountain of mithral rumbles out a greeting “Fair awakening Runemother, it is good to see you after so long. Have our allies and neighbors made contact with us? The Lodge? Fae? Khalos? We do not wish to be seen weak, should I make an appearance as a show of force?”

Runemother begins to speak and then sighs and walks over, laying a hand on one of his fingers and giving it a comforting pat. “I’m sorry Solemnus but I sometimes forget you are not merely another golem for me to watch over. Our Eternal Protector. I sometimes forget the Eternal part. You see time differently than the rest of us and that aids you in some ways but changes you in others.”

She pulls out a self filling magic map, slowly but surely filling in millimeter by millimeter. “The world has changed since we have gone under. I have not looked for our allies because I am sure they are gone. It has been millenia Solemnus. Do you know what that means?”

The large golem pasues and thinks “It’s been… a long time? But surely even if it is not the individuals we have dealt with a few generations having past won’t have them forget about us surely? It has not been that long in the grand scheme of things.”

The Runemother shakes her head, “It has been more than a few generations. Their civilization is dust. The vast majority of nations and peoples we dealt with would be long gone from now. Even those with immortals or life spans like ours would have long moved on and lost interest.”

Solemnus pauses and sighs “Ohh. I forgot that mortals were like that.”

Runemother pats the finger again “It’s OK my child, it just means we need to work harder to recover your brothers and sisters once more. The Golems have lingered here long enough without an effort to show. We will begin work on the portal project once again without stopping. Let's get to work.”

Legion

Throughout the next several continents every official member of a very specific church trembles as their goddess speaks to them. The upper echelons begin their preparations with gusto, preparations practiced and handed down for millenia for the time they knew would one day come again.

Within only weeks a massive expedition is ready to set out. Ready to bring balance one more time in their eternal struggle. The message of their goddess still ringing in their minds 'Hanrui rises, we will bring balance before its curse can spread any more. We will find the heart of Hanrui and cleanse it to bring balance to that cursed land.'

New Lands, New Goods

The lands around the rising Hanrui islands are slowly being infected with the chaos of Hanrui's curse but also many new resources and materials. Many of which are rare, valuable, and now... possibly yours. The World Congress isn't sure if they want to aid people in finding the rare lands, worried it would cause conflict.

They leave it up to the nations that would be most effected by the mess. If the nations wish the congress will publicly do the research and release the location of these spreading lands.

Spoiler: OOc
    Show
    If yes then a random territory gains 2d2 of mag, econ, or Mil. The owner of the territory benefits from those stats but loses them if the territory is taken by someone else.

Vote at Midturn on Dec 2nd!
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2021-11-28 at 09:28 PM.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Total War Hanrui 4: World War Hanrui IC

The Steel Soul Sect
    Mor: 6
    Rep:3

Tiānmìng slowly opens his eyes from where he had been mediating. Sitting cross legged on a metal lotus he turns his head to a bath of water with a single iron ingot inside of it. Reaching out his fingers trace along the rust and he nods. 2 months. A short time to meditate but his last true meditation had been so long the iron no longer existed when he awoke. Now was a time for tempering, opportunity and rewards. He needed to see the world to get insights not just contemplate the nature of alloys and heat.

Slowly, he stands and walks off the lotus. He steps on a stair made out of rare metal. He makes his way down the 999 steps. Each one a different metal, each in perfect condition. Eventually, he reaches the bottom of the stairs and leaves the dark cultivation cave. Fire being forbidden with in the cave, it takes him a few seconds to walk through the kilometre long tunnel from his cave and to see the first light his eyes had seen in months. It was time to fight.

Spoiler: Those who are looking to fight
    Show

We seek to temper ourselves like steel and so we are announcing an open contract. You may bid for our services and we will consider all offers as long as they are made in good faith. Do not waste our time with offers to fight weaklings.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

An open call saying you can hire Tianming. Preference is given to certain things but he refuses any offer to fight neutral territories or do anything that isn't fighting. He will only fight factions, monsters released from adventuring or some other worthy fight. This opportunity will be open until I say otherwise, so feel free to offer in future turns if you don't need to murder right now.

Spoiler: Those who are worthy
    Show

I wish to fight others. Until such time a proper tournament can be arranged I am willing to fight all comers who wish to challenge me.

Show

Tianming is challenging every one who wants to, to a duel. No rewards or anything offered. Just a chance for VIP to injure or murder each other.

Spoiler: Those who seek adventure
    Show

With my recent awakening I have found myself in great need of new equipment. We are willing to offer aid or payment for equipment worthy of me.

Show

Tianming is looking either for mil items or special artifacts and is willing to pay for them. He is even willing to ignore his rule about not hunting weaklings or wasting time on other people's projects for them.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Amatya Expedition

The People of Amatya: A Tourists Guide Part 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amatya is a vast land, with dozens of distinct culture groups, many with drastically different practices or faiths. This guide is intended for those looking to visit and interact with the people of Amatya, in hopes of preparing the reader against some common pitfalls and enlighten to the many fascinating aspects of Amatyan cultural groups.

The Jali People: The most populous distinct cultural group of Amatya, the Jali are likely to be the majority of encounters to a visitor to Amatya, both by sheer percentage and by the Jali being the main populations of the two primary trade ports of Vorippa and Iyapur. The Jali are the source of many of the common generalizations that are inaccurately applied to all of the people of Amatya, two of these generalizations however, are of extreme importance when dealing with the Jali. The first, is that blood relations between the Jali are deeply personal, with no family names at all, and revealing of one’s parentage to be something of a faux pas. Fear not! Most merchants and streetfolk from the trade cities will take no offence to an accidental slip, but if you find yourself in the countryside, try to avoid referencing family at all, and introduce yourself with your first name only. The second generalization, is that the Jali hold generosity as both hosts and guests in great regard, this report is pleased to confirm this widely held belief. Jali folk will shower both a guest and host with gifts, but it is important to well understand the pattern of this gifting, which is that first impressions are an establishment of the ongoing relationship between two acquaintances, this will be covered more in chapter 4, but for this brief synopsis just know that giving tulips to a gentleman you have just met may garner you significantly more than you had bargained for! I hope you will forgive this reports attempt at humour, in ernest: Monetary gifts if you have something to sell, rings or bracelets if you are looking to buy (a note for those looking for trade with the Jali, removing a ring from your finger to offer as a first impression gift is considered a sign of poor loyalty), food if you are looking for friendship, flowers if you are looking for short term romance. The gifting language has intricacies far beyond this synopsis, please see chapter 4 for a more detailed guide and breakdown.

The T’karmak People: hailing from the geographically small Karmak Lake Valley, the wild and brutal conditions of their territory, unceasing rainstorms given pause only by sudden and scorching summers, give rise to a stern and hearty people. Though short in stature they are well renowned for their courage and loyalty. When a bad year strikes the lake valley, droves of T'karmak youths are driven away from their homeland by famine, and happily plucked up by Amatyan army recruiters, mercenary companies, and other organizations in need of hardy and bold folk. As a result a visitor to Amatya is quite likely to encounter the T'kamak in their travels, even far from Karmak itself. Readers can pick these folk out in a crowd by their short stature, with the average height among their men being roughly 5'4'', and wrinkled faces, with even the youth being accurately described as 'craggy'. While most T'karmak a traveler is likely to encounter will speak Jalish, they can also be heard speaking the Kamak language, which to an untrained ear may coincidentally sound like Elvodin Elven, though no archeological relation has thus far been found.

Unlike the Jali people, family names and relations are what we would consider normal, with a glottal stop separating personal name and family name, and while many T'karmak follow the gifting traditions of the Jali, this is firmly an adoptive practice.

The Nyunjali People: A populous subgroup of the Jali people, Nyunjali are none the less culturally and physically distinct in a few very important ways, despite being from largely the same geographical regions. The Nyunjali are noticeably paler than the Jali, with a more grey cast to their skintone, this is due to their milky blood, which while apparently not harmful to the Nyunjali, is toxic to other humans, causing immense pain when inflicted or ingested, and can even be lethal to those with a frail constitution. Nyunjali are thought to inherit this trait from some progenitor race of Godlings (or Rakshasa, see later in this synopsis) who influenced their heritage at some point in the distant past. In modern times, they are commonly found in the rural countryside living as normal citizens. It is rare to see them in the trade cities, since tales of their blood gave rise to all manner of frankly ludicrous rumours, which have somewhat soured first impressions on both sides. If one does encounter a Nyunjali while traveling, treat them as you would any Jali, gifting traditions included, but try to refrain from asking questions of heritage or Nyunjali biology, rather sate your curiosity on these topics in chapter 9 of this manual.

The Rettanta People: Far to the south east of the trade cities lie the Lheli Mountains, a stark range of mountains sheared off by the frigid South Sea. Tucked into the river valleys of these majestic peaks are the Rettanta people, a race of Ogrefolk who hold the secrets of Terrasteel crafting and make up the infamous Godsworn shock troops of the Imperial Amatyan Army. The Rettanta villages are, at least officially, sworn vassals to the Autumn throne, though in practice they operate much like any other province in Amatya with a few key exceptions surrounding trade and travel restrictions. These travel restrictions are the prime reason this journal is unable to give a full and detailed account of the cultural practices of the mysterious Rettanta. While this journal will endeavour to cover Rettanta as best it can, know that this is a tragically incomplete account that could surely be remedied when the Amatyan Foreign office would allow our field team into Lheli for a suitably detailed study.

If you do have the opportunity to encounter a Rettantan Ogre in your travels, know that they are not like the monstrous ogres often encountered in forgotten fens and warrens of the world, rather they are a tacturn and reserved folk with wily minds for trade and deep loyalty to their own people. Indeed, it seems to be a topic of some consternation among Amatyan politics that the people of the Lheli mountains firmly consider themselves Rettantan first, and Amatyan a distant second. If you seek to trade in the wondrous terrasteel, you will most likely find better deals in the used market, as only the longstanding agreements and vast wealth of Amatyan nobility can procure newly manufactured pieces. Worry not, Terrasteel rarely loses its strength over the years, and the difference between a hundred year old cuirass and one crafted last year is negligible.

From the balcony of Viami Palace Dujari was probably the last to see the orange sails dip into the misty morning horizon. Winter squalls over Goldtusk Coast would likely mean that Captain Surresh’s convoy would be the last they would see of the homeland for at least a month. The Expeditions fate rested in his hands for potentially years, years away from his fiefs and years leaving the Foreign Affairs office in the hands of that bumbling fool Vaka. When the Emperors had demanded he handle the rapidly cascading situation in Hanrui he had accepted without hesitation, and he did not regret the choice. Hanrui though, legend among legends for its danger and risks, a graveyard of shattered ambitions and empty victories. If Amatyan records were accurate then something was different with this rise. In the Rattantan scrolls that described the previous Hanrui, and even in the confusing oral history of the Bon Mountain Monastery that described the Hanrui before that, there was no mention of natural disasters and unnatural curses gripping the surrounding lands, no Siyu River Deadflood, no landslides shaped like beasts, no rain of cursed Rakshasa. Dujari shook himself, trying to banish the image of a thousand dead faces floating down the Holy Siyu, far from Hanrui but still poisoned by its rise.

Something was different this time. Something within Hanrui was sick.

Startled seabirds behind shook him from his morose reverie. Zamandir Swaraji striding through the banners to join him, her face relaxed and casual, though she bowed with all due formality.

“Peshib Dujari, I have reports of the North Bandits, we finally have their camp, if we strike now we can surely drive them out and claim the land. I wish to volunteer for this operation, my units stand ready.” Her words were clipped but eager, her face quickly losing the casual mask she had built for the conversation. A fantastic officer, but some work was yet needed for courtly affairs. A few hours before, Commander Azil had arrived with a near identical report and a near identical plea, no doubt these two would cause no end of headache with their petty jockeying. But these problems Dujari was familiar with, these problems he could navigate.

Hanrui would have to wait, politics could not.

Morale 4, Reputation 7

Players

The West Isle Trading Company
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings Paracountess Thrune,

A surprise that we meet once again in Hanrui of all theaters, but perhaps a fortuitous one. With the prowess both our factions have brought to bear and the proximity of our landings in Hanrui I have little doubt that we will soon be sharing a closer border than our sponsor nations are traditionally accustomed to, so I am immensely interested in establishing a non-aggression pact. I seek to solve the disasters gripping Amatya and you seek to profit from Hanrui’s opportunities, a perfectly reasonable goal and conveniently divergent from my own. At a glance it seems to me we can pick a mutually reasonable border and simply leave each other to our respective businesses. Perhaps you keep to the 60’s and below and my Expedition will keep to the 70’s and above according to the common map?

Yours Respectfully,
    Dujari, Peshib of Foreign Affairs, Prince Triumphant of the Fuvil Provinces, First Crown Holder for the Royal Princesses

Attached to the letter is a teak box of mint tea leaves, a common gift for foreign merchants, mint being one of the few spices that are imported rather than exported by Amatya. While it conforms to the gifting traditions of the Jali, and by all appearances is a professionally dried and well blended, it is also such a common gift to West Isle merchants it could be considered a token gesture.

The Halls of Bound Prophecy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings Seers and Scholars of Futures,

I hope that this letter finds your covenant settling well into Hanrui. I am Dujari, leader of the Amatyan Expedition in Hanrui. I write to enquire if your visions have granted any insight on the immediate future of the magical… leakage? From Hanrui. The Disasters that have befallen many of the surrounding lands have also gripped Amatya, and my expedition’s purpose here is to safeguard our homeland from said calamities. Any insight you could offer would be most appreciated.

Yours Respectfully,
    Dujari, Peshib of Foreign Affairs, Prince Triumphant of the Fuvil Provinces, First Crown Holder for the Royal Princesses

Attached with the message is an autumn gold envelope decorated and sealed with the Katar, symbol of Dujari’s fiefs in Amatya. Enclosed within are eighty eight silver Wajri coins. Factors of eight represent a desire to buy or trade information, while factors of eleven represent an urgency or escalation. Silver can have several interpretations, but in this case likely reference the common Amatyan folklore of quicksilver being a magical infection of the natural world.

Barbarians United!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings Primal and Mighty Confederacy,

I am Dujari of the Amatyan Expedition in Hanrui, though you may have heard of me through other titles. It seems we share a similar neighborhood here in Hanrui and I would ask after your long term intentions for the local lands. I hear from several trusted friends and confidants that your folk have been aught but a pleasure to deal with, and I hope my courtesy will be of match. It seems to me that our factions could work very well together, provided our goals do not differ too much, and ours are some of the few nations that could build the trust necessary to form an alliance with any reasonable expediency.

Yours Respectfully,

Sent with the letter is a package containing roast venison with mango chutney, made possible by gentle preserving enchantments upon the box, as well as a small cask of heady pear cider. Meat is generally a high compliment in the Jali gifting language, with venison representing a desire for shared projects and goals, and mango and other fruits usually representing interest in a brand new friendship or relationship. Mango specifically has often had a religious association, with scholars with a more academic interest in a faith often offering them to a priest of said faith. Pear cider meanwhile, as well as most ciders, hint at an interest in a broader friendship beyond simple introduction and business relations.

NPCs

The Legion of Balance
    Spoiler
    Show
    To the Ancient and Esteemed Legion of Balance,

It seems we meet once again on Hanrui Lady Greydane, though it has been many years indeed since I had the privilege to walk through your Order’s halls last. It seems to me at least that our goals align this time around, both of us seek to solve whatever imbalance is spewing forth from Hanrui. I hope we could convince you to work together on this particular goal, though at this time we are far apart, so perhaps true cooperation must wait. Still if you discover any insights into what is gripping the lands around risen Hanrui I would be more than happy to trade similar insights from the Expedition's adventures, and do not hesitate to contact my office should you be interested in further collaboration, or perhaps even just civil company and conversation.

Yours Respectfully,

Coming with the message is a parcel of Candied Almonds, the sweet preserves indicating previous informal contact, while spearhead shaped almonds represent previous adversity, as well as a bottle of fine berry brandy, indicating a lack of grudge and a desire to start relations anew. With food in general being a token representing an interest in friendship.

Pillar of Wisdom
    Spoiler
    Show
    To the Illuminated Scholars of the Pillar,

I am pleased to make the acquaintance of such a learned order, and one with such deep ties to the history of Hanrui. I write asking if you would be willing to share insights as to what exactly about Hanrui’s rise in this age is causing such lashings to the surrounding lands. My home of Amatya is suffering fearsomely from all manner of magically charged disasters, but our history stretches long back, and the previous fabled appearances of Hanrui have failed to mention any such happenings. If I understand correct your order is looking to create a grand teleportation ritual? Perhaps there is a trade of some sort to be made? I would appreciate your input and thoughts on the matter, of the two of us the Pillar is by far the more wise in Hanrui’s ways.

Yours Respectfully,

Attached with the message is an autumn gold envelope decorated and sealed with the Katar, symbol of Dujari’s fiefs in Amatya. Enclosed within are eighty eight silver Wajri coins. Factors of eight represent a desire to buy or trade information, while factors of eleven represent an urgency or escalation. Silver can have several interpretations, but in this case likely reference the common Amatyan folklore of quicksilver being a magical infection of the natural world.

The Golemarchy
    Spoiler
    Show
    To the Ancient and Mysterious Golems of Hanrui and Beyond,

Cautious greetings to you, beings of clay and steel. I am Dujari of Fuvil-in-Amatya, I have the privilege of leading my nation’s expedition to risen Hanrui, yet clearly your own expedition has been here all along. The legends and fables that I have gathered make it somewhat clear you are looking to bring more of your people To Hanrui. If your faction would be willing to work with mine in a broader sense I could potentially bring the might of Amatya to bear in helping to secure your peoples future here in Risen Hanrui.

As to what my own people seek here, perhaps you may already be able to shed some light on the situation, having stood vigil here through the past age. What about this rise of Hanrui is spilling disaster on the surrounding lands? None of our legends or histories make mention of the calamities that now grip my Amatya, but the nature of the disasters make it clear that Hanrui is involved in some way. I am here to find out why and put a stop to it.

Yours Respectfully,

P.S. Attached you will find a tradition of my people that may not be particularly relevant to a Golem, but I hope you at least find some amusement in it, as not attaching it would be considered a grave insult against you among my people. Apologies and please forgive this quirk of Amatyan Tradition.

Attached is a package containing a succulent cut of medium rare beef, made possible by enchanted preservation cast on the box. A mint sauce glaze overtop unleashes its heady and fresh aroma upon opening the package. Meat and especially beef is considered a high compliment in the traditional gifting language, and often implies a perceived gap in social standing between guest and host. Mint is generally a gift for foreigners, as it is one of the few spices that are imported to Amatya, rather than exported, though does not usually have a deeper meaning.
    Last edited by A_Dinosaur; 2021-11-28 at 10:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

barbarians united!

Mor 8.
    Rep 5.

It was a fine day to give your daliy speech.

Mia stood at top of the hill as she usually did at the beginning of a day. Amongst her 2 personalities that lived in her head the priest was better at inspiring her faithful. Whilst the politician was better at dealing with outsiders.

"My people! Remember that you are all one under the barbarians united! Remember that we are a strong people. We weren't born i high towers or golden estates. We were born in the grass and the sand."

The people blindly cheered for their queen.

"However i have to tell you the truth. A sad truth. For i never lie! But we won't be able to rid the world of all civilization!"

The people gasped.

"I know. I deel nothing but pity to those living a false and inauthentic life. However! When i said we aren't able to rid the world of civilization the fact is that only applies by force! We are about to enter a mighty friendship with a kingdom of great note."

The people booed.

"I know i know. But we won't lay a finger on there lands. For you see rather then forcefully ending their lifestyle we'll coexist. We might have our differences but we all come from the same plane. And while they're civilization shall prosper for longer then most of us will live. Eventually all things come to end by the ravages of time. Whether in 10 years or 1000000 years they realise all things should come back to the glorious tribe of life. So i tell you not to attack or insult. But to befriend them. As a tribe of a different type. And as we help them and they help us we'll get to learn of each others cultures. And maybe in a few eons we might become 1."

The people cheered.

"So i shall tell you what i always tell you. Don't tell them our honest beliefs. Remember to tell them we are a coalition government seeking to make friends and optionally to also preach peacefully. For now we are just a kingdom like any other. Not a bunch of civilization burners. We will tell them a heavily altered version of our beliefs if asked but otherwise we shall be strange partners who always help when asked and only ask that they help us when we are in need. Remember that civilised folk are proud of their civilization. So we shall now tear down the civilizations of our allies and risk retribution. Instead we save our tearing down for our mutual enemies. So remember to tolerate the civilization of our allies and to not conspire to end their civilization prematurely. Time itself will handle that."

And she went on and on about how important it is to be good allies and not backstabbers.

"1 more thing. We found a fallen clockwork kingdom that our adventurers shall pillage. You know what to do brave explorers."

As she returns to her tent she switches from priest to politician. Her parents always theorised they were twin souls in 1 body. Whatever the case now it was time to write back to their soon to be allies.

Spoiler: to the atamiya expedition
    Show

We wish for the same thing you wish for. Prosperity for our lands. So I'm willing to work with you for our mutual goals. I ask for nothing more because all i wish is for our kingdoms to have each others backs. We are young but powerful kingdom so with your experience and technology and our numbers we can surely shar hanrui together.

In other words I'm gladly accepting your alliance.
    Just a note i got adhd and autism.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

After a journey taking several weeks over seas rough enough that I would never readily contemplate any form of seafaring again, I have finally arrived in the Realm of the Refulgent Lords. An ostentatious title for a nation, to be sure, but one that feels somehow fitting. Any fear I had over being attacked by gigantic crustaceans or anxiety over any overhead shadow passing belonging to what are effectively pirates with fancier vessels, and nicer flags, melted away at the sight of their own ships on the horizon and the brilliant blue and gold of the Seahawks, who escorted us once we had reached their territorial waters.

I was similarly relieved to find that Port Evenot, where I disembarked at, was a bounteous city of it's own. Unlike some of the other ports, Evenot is dedicated near entirely unto trade, and does not support much in agricultural or aquacultural development. For once it is nice to disembark from a ship into a dock that doesn't smell like the worst parts of Uncle Elric's barns and/or Uncle Alfred's butchery. The scenery here is somewhat plain, with little more than the city itself and some rising hills that it nestles between, but I have been assured that other locations in the Realm have more suitable vistas for those with a penchant for painting such as myself.

The people there are friendly sort. The streets are well-maintained and wide allowing both carts and people to pass without obstruction, and the city itself was not crammed in to fit as many people into the urban areas as possible. Truly, I but wish you were healthier (and had a safer alternative to travel) as I would like to purchase a house here for you to retire to. Alas, my coin has run most assuredly low in my long travels. Do not worry, Mother, for I was saved! Metaphorically speaking.

My apparent curiosity as a newcomer ended up in an encounter that I feel has shaped my perception of this nation and its people. A few fine folks in priestly garb approached me and I swear asked me as many questions as I asked them! It turns out the rumors of this nation hosting a magical bird of fiery countenance are completely true, and that the Servants (as they called themselves) are... well... its servants. While not a direct or unified religion - there were no cathedral's or temples or the like from what I could see in the town - they do rather worship the creature, almost like a living god. Which, if their words are to be believed, is nearly the country's sole defender for the past several hundred years. Neverminding the notion of a creature living to such an extended age, but the Servants perform acts of charity in all corners of the nation, even giving succor to a poor, wayward soul such as myself.

At some point I should like to see this guardian bird of theirs and put its likeness to canvas, but I am told that the time for visiting the majestic creature is growing shorter. Considering the Servants' empathy, I believe they are over-exaggerating their concern, for after all does not the creature known as a phoenix rise from it's own ashes? I believe that is what the old tales say if you could send me the tome I recieved during my 16th summer, i would be much obliged, Mother, and I may put this query to rest.

My next destination from here is the heart of the Estine province, to meet with the nobles of House Estine proper. All inquiries into the nature of the noble Houses have led me to some conclusions. The avian-based thematics run deep in the nation, and that one can typically identify a noble by the vibrant red of their hair, a trait of an ancient, common ancestor, I am led to believe. Garnering the patronage of House Estine, richest of all the major Houses in the Realm would be a great boon to my coffers.

Though as I write this from the hostel cared for by the Servants, I hear talk about delegations of diplomats from house Sorial making their way to the far corners of Hanrui to open diplomatic ties with the neighboring nations. I have heard one about terrific lizards raised from the dead. I do hope they do not associate with such people they sound positively dreadful.

I hope this letter has found you well, and you shall receive my next correspondence when I have acquired enough gold to pay the tragically exorbitant mail fees that come with this distance between us.

As always, your most loving and talented son,
    Aldebaran Kevine Arga."
    Last edited by DragonOfAsh; 2021-11-29 at 02:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Ghisallah pondered over the book she'd been writing in. It had always been strange, trying to confidently write while unable to see the page, but the people around her assured Ghisallah that her penmanship was accurate and her minor prophecies true. That said, even with their voices in her ear, it still felt strange. Unlike Heptallia she hadn't been born an oracle.

The massive library hall was filled with constant footsteps, but Ghisallah still caught a pointed march coming toward her and greeted them before they'd reached her table. "Hello."

"Lady Apprentice," Mandred, the captain of the Hall's Guard said with what Ghisallah imaged was a curt nod. "How is the Oracle?"

"Same as ever," Ghisallah said, "she sleeps and writes the future, the only break she's taken in the past week was to move us," Ghisallah motioned to the general room as she finshed the sentence, representing that the Oracle had taken a brief breath to move the entire hall with magic.

"No words about this place?"

Ghisallah went to speak but held her orginal comments. After a moment she offered the reconsdiered response. "Do you have questions for the Oracle herself?"

"I do not," Mandred responded, the soft clink of the chain around her neck telling Ghisllah that she was shaking her head, "but there are many that are. People have heard a lot of..... things about this place."

"Hanrui."

"The nation ender."

"Candidly," Ghisallah started, "I think those folk stories are being spread by followers on their first transition who want an excuse to go home."

"But they're true."

"Perhaps," Ghisallah put down the pen she'd been working with and turned to 'look' at Mandred. She was wearing a soft cloth to cover her eyes, which spared the average acolyte from needing to stare into the twin abyss in the middle of her face. "but there is several thousand years of history and myth between ourselves and the last people to set foot upon Hanrui."

"And yet we're a fortress settled upon a skeleton the size of a mountain range."

"Well some myths are true," Ghisallah responded. "Do we need something to say to the troops. I can ask Heptallia for her insight but it would likely be coming from me as opposed to her."

"Anything will do before we send them out on the Northern expiditons, just a purpose so they know they are working toward prophecy."

"I'll go to the halls," Ghisallah reassured, "but I can't promise anything."

A strike to break the sky and a nation ending blaze. The first stone shall be a meteor.

REP 6: MOR: 4

Spoiler: To the Amatya Expedition
    Show

To Dujari, Peshib of Foreign Affairs, Prince Triumphant of the Fuvil Provinces, First Crown Holder for the Royal Princesses

We thank you for the gift and welcome your correspondence with the Hall of Bound Prophecy. We have marked your interest in the core magical nature of Hanrui and shall extend out knowedge toward you should the Oracle have visions that shed sacred light upon this question. Additionally if you will lend us your ear, we will offer guidance toward anything that might effect your Nation whether you have directly inquired about it or not. As of right now there are no records regarding Amatya in the hall archives.

With respect,

From the Hall of Ghisallah, the Bound Apprentice.

Spoiler: To the Steel Soul Sect
    Show

Greetings from the Hall of Bound Prophecy. Due to the need of our people we are going to be sending out expidions to secure farmland and resources for our stay within Hanrui. From the outside this can appear like rapid expansion and we would like to assure you that conquest in Hanrui is not our goal, we simply need space to maintain our organization. Please refer to the included maps for a full breakdown of our planned movements which will cover most of the Southern Continent.

As you may not know our orgnaization, know that we may reach out with any prophecy that comes to Heptallia that will directly affect you, we are not in the busienss of keeping secrets from anyone.

OOC: The map displays the desired borders of the Halls, ending with the line crossing the landmass at 24-27. Any other territories futher up the line are marked with ? as potential expansions but in no current plans.

Last edited by Writtensanity; 2021-11-29 at 04:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Seeds of Bifuldor (Ars Elvondin Cast-offs)

Mor: 4
    Rep: 5

Across Land and Sea

Dor Lowgi, with all its low houses and the constant sound of beasts exchanging hands could be seen from far away thanks to the rising smoke of tanners and newly built hearths. Near the Golden Pagoda it was shouts and grumbles with filled the air, as anyone with an aspiration and nothing better to do advocated for steps to be taken, measures expected, the need for leadership, and perhaps it is the destiny of those who settled to be those elves.

In idenhem Oxen, covetted saurian beasts from far off traders and the even rarer breeds of the locals all grunted effort as they hauled logs to the centers of growth, earth roads forming beneath the strain, while the caravans gathered to each side of it, trading intel and raw goods, artifact from the Ars Elvondin and simple comfort all the same, playing summery tunes at nightime in the hopes of attracting the dead's party. And here too, they who had the most contact with the nearby nations, began to consider, that lesser as all those were, impressive parades and resilience enough to tolerate eachother's smells spoke ill of the chance of a lowly wagon against them, and here ties were formed and loyalties ensured, and perhaps it is the road and opportunity which will forever hold the hearts and mind of Bifuldor's Seeds.

Yet it was Ars Drakefdur, who gluttonous, munched on the logs from Idenhem for their newly built ships and the accomodations for trade; where the seeds seemengly sprouted with the biggest purpose.

Adia Svenof Docklord of the 3rd to 5th piers wore some recently acquired furs from the north, these she had won in a bet with her peers, the same which won her the right to this moment, all the docklords (how the first arrivals to capitalize on kobold labour have came to be named) had agreed to this course of action, and she was lucky enough to actually own the vessel used for the ceremony (or at least the person who owned it), the speech was insubstantial frankly, Adia wasn't really one for a large crowd, but the crowd didn't seem to mind, as the scurrying kobolds to the sides kept to their work, most utterly unaware of what was even said, a raucous sheer spread through the crowd, following closely the breaking of a bottle on the whispered word and Adia's cry of "...Beyond Ars Elvondin, and we will go further ahead!"

The ship was what could be considered light craft for anyone with a navy that mattered, but it was built quickly, it was better armed that anything the elves had crewed, it was built here by the work of many led by few, and perhaps it is those who control such ships and command such respect who should decide the fate of this new branch of Bifuldor...

Groups:

Spoiler: Western folk (Barbarians United!, Nine Layered Bank, Pillar of Wisdom, Amatya Expedition, Void's faction when it comes, Lost Stratum)
    Show
    To all of the west landmass,

An interest for trade, of information, wealth and apparently moving steel exists between our two lands, as such The Council of Docklords (for your tongue and mind's ease) is offering to chart a route between both of our lands, and allow any who can prove the means and wish for such exchange to pass it unhindered, if you wish to participate, the route will be open to you.

Eager to meet,

-The Docklords of Ars Drakefdur.

Show
    I'm opening a route between the two biggest continents, it is open to anyone who is willing to pay me either 1 ECO, 1 ADV or 1 MIL. May ditch the project if absolutely no one confirms their payment so please do so if you intend to.

Spoiler: Eastern Folk (The Ghul Lodges, The Halls of Bound Prophecy, The Legion of Balance, Steel Soul Sect
    Show

Neighbours, some of whom hold steem across these lands and beyond, I can see you are interested in dealing with those across the raging water of the Elvondin Sea, and we wish to facilitate such dealings, be them in the clash of steel, words better unheard or the product of your labour. Show us your willingness to facilitate such endeavours and the path is open for you to do so.

Eager to meet,

Show
    I'm opening a route between the two biggest continents, it is open to anyone who is willing to pay me either 1 ECO, 1 ADV or 1 MIL. May ditch the project if absolutely no one confirms their payment so please do so if you intend to.

PCs

Spoiler: Barbarians United
    Show
    Ishnu-alah Queen Mia and those who call her the mother of their commonwealth,

As our project of unity and trade will bring us across the mountains from you, we wish to inform you as such, and kindly dissuade you from the pricy yourney towards such sterile lands as [63] as while they may be akin to your homeland I believe you would consider that bad.

Show
    aiming to take over 63, any objections?

NPCs

Spoiler: Nine Layered Bank
    Show
    Ishnu-alah scions of the hells

Business must happen between us, and so let's cut to it.

The route (which I'm sure the savviest non-elven merchants in the isles will appreciate) will end in [63], which we intend to settle in order to secure it, seeing as land is aplenty to your west, we see no issue but thought to inform you.

We wanted to discuss as well the possibility of you receiving payments from the west if there are many, so as to reveal the route only when they are confirmed, in exchange for that you can use them upon reception and keep it as credit for us.

Eager to meet,

A more private note is attached to the main message: "how much for the child?"

Show
    That payment holding deal is tied to my question, depending on how it works I'll change it
    Last edited by neriractor; 2021-11-30 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

8. - Top - End - #8

Mor 8.

Spoiler: to the seeds of bifuldor
    Show

To the seeds of bifuldor for whom i hold nothing but respect.

I have no objections. As long as that if that is only bordering territory you take for now. We need strong borders afterall. If you do need more territories at the lands that border ours then we might consider it. Feel free to ask when you need said territories. But do try to keep it at a minimum.

But yes i have no objections for 63 being yours.

On one last note we might consider using the route you offered to the Western nations in the future. For now we have no need. but we will keep it in mind.
    Last edited by Ameraaaaaa; 2021-12-01 at 07:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

The Amatya Expedition

Morale 4, Rep 7

Players

Barbarian’s United
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mighty Confederacy,

I am thrilled to receive such a warm response. I would be happy to work together one all manner of projects in the near future I’m sure, but an alliance, though in the end desired by my office, cannot be established on so simple terms. I hope such bureaucracy does not sour your opinion of my folk over much. I agree that local prosperity is a high priority, I wish to see my people prosper as best they can in this strange and dangerous land, but my purpose here is one of discovery and dampening, which I fear may only be found in the adventure sites that riddle Hanrui. Independently our adventuring companies could make steady progress, but if we were to collaborate, we could finish each singular delve quickly. Additionally, if we were to pool our votes for world congress, it would take a mighty coalition indeed to resist any proposal we put forth.

Would you be interested in such an arrangement? An alliance should be built on more than simple defensive pacts, though those go without saying.

Yours Respectfully,

Seeds of Bifildor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Courageous and Far Flung Elves,

Your letter leaves me intrigued, I cannot deny my interest in such a worthy opportunity, though I must inquire further to the cost and the destination of this route. The Western Continent is vast, and our lands are as yet unconnected to the coast, or at least the coast relevant to a trade route such as this. If you would connect to [78] I intend to take that territory by season’s end, and we could share in each other's riches. And regarding cost, would access to this route be a one time expense of the listed resources? Or would it be each use of the trade route?

Yours Respectfully,

Attached to the package is a blue envelope embossed with a Katar, symbol of Dujari’s fiefs in Amatya. Contained within are eighteen gold Wojri coins. Factors of nine is often associated with the purchase of agreements, rights, or border claims. Meanwhile gold is universally a reference to maritime trade, a well respected career among all levels of Amatyan society.

The Halls of Bound Prophecy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you for your words, great sage. I shall need to think further on what exactly you have said. But I hope we can continue amicable relations as the seasons wear on.

Yours Respectfully,

10. - Top - End - #10

Mor 8.

Spoiler: amatya
    Show

To the great amatya.

I accept those arrangements. May this day be remembered for the eons to come. Our adventuring parties shall love working together and the combined presence at the world congress shall be mighty. May both our nations enjoy prosperity for ages to come.

Last edited by Ameraaaaaa; 2021-12-01 at 07:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: The World Congress
    Show
    The Ghuls have a long-standing policy to vote "aye" on every resolution. This is no exception

Spoiler: The Steel Soul Sect
    Show

The little creature approaches. Tiānmìng sees the tiny Ghul and thinks she must be weak. Weak and suicidal. A single swipe should do for her.

A parry!!

Nothing like that tiny fencing dagger existed before the Ghuls bred it. "More Want You Do?"

Spoiler: The Bank
    Show
    Sister Analyst Rennifej scoffed. "Afterlife!" A short term loan was a bad deal if you planned on being around forever...

Spoiler: The Golemarchy
    Show

--MEMORANDUM--
    Our Sisters Diviner hear word of the Golemarchy rising again. All effort is to be made to ally with them and imply our identity with a mysterious "lodge of flesh-warpers" that the most distant reaches of Other Memory imply were on good terms with them in ages past.
    - Sister Watcher Naluri

Spoiler: Seeds of Bifuldor
    Show

The tiny little sealfolk exudes swagger far outside the boundaries of her tiny body as she steps out of her kayak hoists it onto a peg in a wall one handed, and proclaims! "THE ROUTE TRADE FOR WITH HELPING HERE AM I!!""

Spoiler
    Show
    offer trade of +1 weapons generic enhanced blades to the Steel Soul Sect, approve the vote to the word congress,
    offer +1 ADV for the trade route between continents

EDIT for Midturn-The other 5 points of ADV are investing in The Petrified Forest in region 2

Morale 4, reputation 1
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2021-12-02 at 09:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Drowned Balam

Morale 4, Reputation 2

Spoiler: Midturn
    Show

1 party of adventurers to chart a course across the channel to 54
    1 other point to forge a route to 50

Keilser Dov [Adv 1], Lady Maria [Adv 1], Breve Amnan [Adv 1] and the six remaining parties of adventurers will venture into the Abattoir

2 Votes for
    Last edited by St. Justicar; 2021-12-02 at 05:38 PM.
    Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show

Won Rise of Kingdoms as the Free City of Khasal
    Lost Hanrui 3 as the Clockwork Republic
    Technically Won Principia 2 as the Iron Gods of Ur
    Won Mandate of Heaven as the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Lady Mira, the council meeting is beginning." With a curt nod to the servant, the red-headed woman knelt down and wiped a smudge that she hoped was chocolate off of her little boy's cheek. While nominally the leader of House Sorial, it was true that she had married into the family. Not that she wasn't ultimately of noble descent somewhere down the line, her blazing red hair was proof enough of that. The only one of the leaders of the major Houses that no longer had such fiery locks was Lord William of House Wresting, who was old enough that he had gone completely gray.

"Be good for the servants and no more cookies, you'll ruin your dinner." She tousled her son Erman's hair, smiled affectionately and straightened as a maidservant from House Sorial ushered her child into one of the side rooms. "It's just Mira." The servant who had been waiting to escort her visibly paled and apologized profusely, which Mira simply ignored and made her way into the council chamber where the other House leaders had assembled. She did not like to be called that, but the servants at times couldn't help themselves. Mira had no reason to chastise him over it, there were more important topics to get to.

"Mira the Swift, eh? More like Mira the Late!" A bushy-bearded man on the far side of the room guffawed loudly at his own joke. His face was nearly as ruddy as the beard and mane of hair that was on it. Grinding the back of her teeth slightly, Mira assumed her position at the table. He was the only one laughing.

With a coy smile Mira replied. "Why, Lord Aldric, truly you are an exemplar to us all with how utterly witty your childish jests are." She held back not even a drop of how much sarcasm dripped from the statement and Aldric's face grew even redder due to the anger adding to his complexion. "I believe it is time we begin the council?" Truly she cared not a bit how much of the council thought of her, personally, but at the same time that was not her "job." Mira was a skilled negotiator and being head of House Sorial, even if by name only since she refused to take the title of Lady in the wake of her husband's passing, was still the effective director of all the diplomatic embassies and the like that fell under House Sorial's domain.

Mira stayed quiet and listened as Lord William read aloud the typical list of drudgery. Aldric looked like he was about ready to nod off about twenty minutes into it, but stayed upright to his credit. Casting a glance to the side, Mira surveyed Lady L'arachel, the leader of House Estine, as always dressed in the highest quality of clothing, and never anywhere without her pet falcon either on her shoulder, or perched on the back of the chair behind her, like it was now. L'arachel noticed Mira's glance and gave a nearly imperceptible nod back to her. Sharp as a knife that one, the two had a nearly silent conversation between them from just the one look and acknowledgement. Once Lord William had finished reading the tedium, it now came time to discussion.

"So ultimately, we need to determine our stances on several issues with the greater community of Hanrui." L'arachel summarized, causing Aldric to start from where he had nearly dozed off at the table. Lord William lit his pipe, the only vice he had aside from doting on his three daughters, and Aldric leaned forward, finally able to take part in something other than listening to the droning of an old man.

"There are several issues at hand yes. The Realm has been at peace, courtesy of the Great Guardian, though none of you need my reminder of that," Lord William puffed. "But there are some simple truths. It is getting weaker. The Servants do their best, but the phoenix grows more sickly it seems by the day. This letter came directly from the Sage, detailing the extent of it that can't be revealed to the public. We won't be able to rely on it to protect us forever, I fear. And, from my personal research on the matter, the corruption in Hanrui only grows."

"A display of strength then? Should we invest into the army?" The words from Aldric may have sounded like those of a warmonger at first glance, but Mira knew that despite all pretenses, the man wasn't stupid. If war came, the two Houses that would be affected by it most would be his own of Norgaard, and L'arachel's, House Estine.

"Maintaining a force greater than the current man at arms would be an undertaking, but not an impossible one." Mira spoke up. "The coffers of our nation run deep, particularly those of House Estine, no offense."

"None taken," said L'arachel, with a hint of amusement.

"But the fact of the matter is that we should honestly think of expansion into the isles, and also to present ourselves to the other nations and city-states. We cannot exist in diplomatic vacuum. There are many things that can be gained from trade with the other nations, or diplomatic relations. We can further any form of military agendas as well as expanding our economy and magical knowledge." Mira laid out a plan that she had been thinking of to the council for several weeks and had meticulously covered details of it. This was why she was on the council despite refusing a noble title. This was why nobody challenged or questioned her status as the leader of House Sorial, even if she was not of noble birth. After ten minutes, L'arachel stretched languidly in her char like a cat and turned her sharp eyes towards Mira.

"Can we trust you to make the arraignments then, Mira?" Mira nodded and Lord William set his pipe down, a habit of agreement that Mira had picked up on. Even Aldric, gritting his teeth, could not deny Mira's plan was the most effective course of action for the immediate future. "Then it is settled. Let this council be adjourned and our actions be guided by the Great Guardian." They all bowed their heads briefly in respect to the creature that so defined their nation and then stood up from the table, parting company and returning to their own retainers and lands. There was work to be done.

Spoiler: To Everybody
    Show
    In support of the motion set forth by the World Congress, the Realm of the Refulgent Lords will vote in favor of the resolution. It is a time of change, for the land and it's people, and with change comes the possibility of growth.

Spoiler: To the Pillar of Wisdom
    Show
    Greetings fellow practitioners of the ways of magic,

We would be interested in establishing an exchange, either of goods or of magical knowledge. Those of House Wresting are always seeking to expand their libraries, and have no qualms about sharing their knowledge with those who would understand and put it to good use. We would love to talk more in the future.

Spoiler: To the Legion of Balance
    Show
    Greetings Legionnaires,

We in the Realm can understand your long-term commitment towards a stable and orderly world. While the world twists and distorts, we hope that we can establish a sense of friendship and community as beacons of light in these dark times. We look forward to seeing what your order accomplishes in Hanrui.

Spoiler: To the Seeds of Bifuldor
    Show
    Greetings to our southerly "neighbors,"

Trade is a wonderful thing, and you find yourself in a unique position to be at the crux of it. If it is by your intention or not, your reaching out to both continents is a move that shows a degree of ambition, and we would be more than willing to contribute to this endeavor. While our lands have long been tamed, there are those among us that excel in the forging of paths and seeking new lands, and we would be more than willing to have them help you establish a route to both East and West. We hope that by your becoming a nexus of trade, all may prosper accordingly.
    Show
    I'm down to pay 1 ADV to each route (2 total), even if nobody else does. Next turn.

Spoiler: To the Halls of Bound Prophecy
    Show
    Greetings, wise and learned ones,

We in the Realm would like to extend to you a hand of welcoming and friendship to the lands of Hanrui. A place that has grown more dangerous is a place that would surely benefit from mutual cooperation, and when it comes to magic and the nature of it, we are always looking to learn. In the future, if our presence is not unwanted, we should like to give our patronage to the Halls on several matters. The Realm will pay whatever is necessary, but while the state must focus on the present, the heart must look to the future, yes? We look forward to your response.

Spoiler: To the Amataya Expedition
    Show
    Greets esteemed Peshib and Prince Triumphant,

The lands of Hanrui are harsh, and have only grown worse in recent years. However it is a belief in the Realm that a flame that burns against the darkness is the brightest by far. We hope that nations like ours can act as beacons to the rest of the world, and light the way in the darkness that is encroaching on this land. We hope that going forward we can form a relationship of mutual trade; of goods, services, and culture. In that regard, we hope that our gifts are both pleasing to your cultural mores and to you personally. While these caladrius eggs will not hatch, they are an exquisite good in their own right. While just as versatile as the eggs of a mere chicken, they have a natural restorative property to them that enhances energy and lessens ailments. We apologize for not being able to gift you a more suitable gift over a long distance, such as venison without it being dried. We look forward to future relations.

-Mira, Steward of House Sorial, Councilor of the Refulgent Lords

Accompanying the letter are several mahogany boxes, one box with dried mint, and a well-made leather bag containing eighty silver coins, and ninety golden ones. A second box containing preserved fruits (mostly dried). A final box is contains a satin, down-filled lining, and several eggs that have a slightly red-tinged pearlescent sheen to them.

Spoiler: MIDTURN (GM only)
    Show
    Giving all votes in favor of New Lands, New Goods (3 in total)

Also paying Seeds of Bifuldor 1 ADV for their east route and 1 ADV for their west route Forgot I have to make a route first to trade stats, so no ADV this turn.
    Last edited by DragonOfAsh; 2021-12-02 at 06:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lost Stratum

Show

5 Adventuring parties will quest/raid Ethreen, City of Herbivores

All votes yay

Last edited by n0ble; 2021-12-02 at 10:01 PM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

15. - Top - End - #15

Spoiler: midturn
    Show

Adv 6 spent on the dungeon along with the adv vip.

Voting yes in the vote.

Just a note i got adhd and autism.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Seeds of Bifuldor (Ars Elvondin Cast-offs)

Mor: 4
    Rep: 5

PCs

Spoiler: Barbarians united
    Show
    To the Queen Mia and those who call her the mother of their commonwealth,

Rest assured that 63 is as far as our aspirations for the western continent (which we hope rather falls on your hands that on many others...) but we will surely let you know as well.

Spoiler: The Amatya Expedition
    Show
    To Dujari, Peshib of Foreign Affairs, Prince Triumphant of the Fuvil Provinces, First Crown Holder for the Royal Princesses.

The journey is expensive, but we are certain the opportunity for increased trade will certainly be worth it, The cost is for continous access, though should the maps be lost we may ask for a pittance for the cartographers.

As far as your request, while the lands you seek to capture are certainly more convenient for trade between our two peoples, the shortest trail will be equally effective, and far less dangerous.

A similar gift is attached back, though it instead consists of a bundle of beautiful orchids, wrapped neatly with fine spider silk cloth, the message can be interpreted as willingness to engage in the tradition of gift sharing without the care of learning what meaning the gifts have.

Show
    Alright, so I was wrong about my assumptions on trade, I'll edit this post accordingly in the morning when I have some energy, but bottomline is: if you get borders with your barb buddies soon I can get you trading with the easter realms once I get borders with them (say, if you want to hire a certain samurai-looking god of war), though is going to be a longer time that I expected/wanted.

Spoiler: The Ghul Lodges
    Show
    The elves nearby are... flabbergasted at what this may be about, but suddenly someone close to in charge approaches it, taking care (but not enough) to disguise its disdain for the creature "ermm... fantastic, I assume your kinsman and whatever goods they are putting towards the project are right behind you?"

Spoiler: Realm of the Refulgent Lords
    Show
    Wards of the phoenix,

Know first, that we will join you on your vote, truly Why would anyone stand against the chance of growth in Hanrui?

Your aid is welcome, hopefully your aging realm can benefit just as much from the opening of trade relations as us newcomers, and we both can benefit from further cooperation in the future.

Spoiler: Midturn GM- Only
    Show
    The Golden Pagoda remains alone no longer, Bifuldor's Seeds will go to any length to ransack it, acquire it for themselves, rescue their lost comrades! for this effort Svifel has been "politely asked" to be the first one in, as an ever bigger procession of fortune seekers ranging from full parties to caravan heroes, to bounty hunters to hunter hunters gathers.

[8 adv and LVL 2 adv Svifel “Bit by the snake of luck” will brave the Golden pagoda]

in idenheim a relatively isolated caravan was paid a visit by the macabre musicians of the mist, Freyja "master of the harmonica" and her disciples happened to own one of the wagons and with a grin quickly matched tunes with the challengers.

[1 adv faces the edges of the mist for some Necromancin Dancin]

I will circumnavigate the globe and reach Amatya!: Said no one in Hanrui, but an east to west journey was stopped at a large landmass, People claim on purpose, and trade is... easier for the two halves now.

[3 adv will make a route between 14 and 63]

I have some nice adv and some decent BSing skills to get away with taking over lands, if the cache is anywhere near me I'm taking it. - All votes go jay on the world congress proposal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

17. - Top - End - #17

PaladinGuy

Amatya Expedition

Morale 4, Reputation 7

Midturn
    Spoiler
    Show
    4 Votes in favour of New Lands, New Goods

5 Adventurers will plunder the Trembling Canyon

18. - Top - End - #18

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler: Midturn, MOR GM
    Show

All votes against New Lands, New Goods
    Dump all my ADV and my ADV 1 VIP into the Tomb of Sage Who Leads the People to Heaven
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

19. - Top - End - #19

Exclamation Re: Total War Hanrui 4: World War Hanrui IC

The Azcanti Empire

Princess Tishiva watched with satisfaction as her troops drilled in the waves, far below her vantage point. One of her scouts had discovered this cove and had reported it as a perfect training ground, with shallow waters and rocky beaches. Her soldiers had been trained to fight above and below the surface, of course, but the extra practice couldn’t hurt. She stood on a rocky pillar jutting from the surf far below, where she could see the Azcanti legions – and more importantly, where they could see her.

A slight scuffing of shell on stone from behind her caught her attention. Tishiva smiled – a rare smile, a genuine smile, slightly crooked. Certainly not the diplomatic one she had been taught by countless court ladies and dignitaries back home. Her twin would never be able to sneak up on her – they were too aware of each other for that to work – but it was nice of him to try not to startle her regardless.

She turned to face him. Her brother was taller and more slender than her, his fins a shade of violet instead of her own crimson. He was dressed in flexible shell-based armor, with his customary longsword at his hip. An impractical weapon underwater, it was the mark of a skilled battlemage – one who could swing it without worrying about water resistance.

He returned her smile, more subdued. Kopolan had always been more reserved, by design. Like everything about them, it was a tactical decision.

“Are the preparations complete?” she asked as he joined her in gazing down at the Azcanti soldiers sparring and drilling far below.

“Mostly. The first few legions are finalizing their preparations, and we’ve secured our supply lines from beneath the waves. Another few solar cycles and we should be ready to move.”

She smiled – this time, it was a predatory one, honed and cultivated by their proximity to the throne. Tishiva thought back to her childhood, being taught the art of warfare by generals and scholars alike. One lesson had stuck with her and her twin, above all else: identify a potential threat, and crush it before it has time to develop into a serious challenge. It was a tactic that the Twins were particularly eager to employ.

“Well, brother? It seems as though it is time to show the vultures what we’re capable of.”

THE AZCANTI EMPIRE DECLARES WAR ON THE PILLAR OF WISDOM.

Morale 8
    Rep 3

Spoiler: To All (Public)
    Show

We would like to formally announce our intention to reclaim the lands of Hanrui, which were part of our kingdom while they lay below the waves for countless generations, for the great and glorious Azcanti Empire. We believe that Hanrui would make for an excellent provincial outpost for our Empire, and are willing to consider letting some of you remain in the territory as vassals.

Our scouts and spies have informed us of the Pillar of Wisdom’s history of meddling in affairs that do not concern it – as the rumored origin of Titan suggests. We thought we would do us all a favour and eliminate them before they have a chance to meddle with the rest of us.

If you do not wish to go the way of the Pillar of Wisdom, then we would strongly recommend that you respect our territorial claims – which, as of this moment, include 33 and 85, along with the territory surrounding the Pillar of Wisdom (79-82). Taking any of these territories will be considered a hostile act and will be met with an immediate declaration of war.

Spoiler: To the Golemarchy
    Show

We shall be perfectly candid. Your presence on these central islands is a complication that we did not foresee. Normally, we would simply crush you as land-dwellers and use these islands as a staging ground for further military conflict. Given your defenses, we see this as a tiresome endeavor, so we have a potential workaround.

From our understanding, your people have spent the past several millennia slumbering beneath the waves – in territory claimed by the Azcanti Empire. So long as you do not do anything particularly troublesome, we are willing to consider you as members of the Azcanti Empire, which removes our need to subjugate and/or destroy you. We will make no demands on your actions, save that you do not meddle in our affairs or take territory beyond what we can initially negotiate.

Assuming that this workaround towards mutual nonaggression is amenable to you, we would like to discuss territorial allocations. Your claim on [40,41, and 42] are uncontested by us, and we will be taking [44-48]. We are wondering what you would want in exchange for us taking territory [43].

We look forward to your reply.

Spoiler: To the Nine-Layered Bank
    Show

Greetings to our future neighbors.

You’ve seen what we intend to do to the Pillar of Wisdom. We assure you that we have no such plans for you – but, as a courtesy, we wish to inform you that we intend to take one of [Territories 63 or 83] and incorporate it into our Empire's holdings. If nothing else, this will allow us to develop a working trade relationship, which we do design – we intend to take many captives over the course of our expansion, which we have no doubt you would be thrilled to repurpose. Please let us know if you have a preference between the two.

If there is anything you would like as compensation for this, let us know. Perhaps having close access to a military power could make you feel more secure, given your proximity to Ashkha Inkakuna and the… hm, what were they called? The Empire of Extinctions, was it?

Please let us know, we’re eager to develop a strong working relationship.

Spoiler: To Drowned Balam
    Show

Greetings, neighbors. As the closest thing to proper sea-dwellers on this continent, we are willing to establish… well, not quite friendly relations, but we envision a future where your malice and magics are turned against surface-dwellers, and our armies look elsewhere for conquest.

We would certainly be interested in an outpost on your island, however. We were thinking [Territory 51] would be an excellent place for the Azcanti Empire to set up operations, in order to develop friendlier relations. Nothing more, of course – the rest of your island would be yours.

We know you have the resources to look elsewhere – in fact, we would recommend taking [Territory 18] while you can. We’re willing to support your claim, and it’s better than a pointless war between our nations, hm?

Let us know what you think, preferably without breaking the will and minds of our messengers.

Spoiler: Midturn (GM Only)
    Show

3 ADV spent making a route from 46 to 81.

3 votes against New Lands, New Goods.

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2021-12-05 at 05:30 PM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

20. - Top - End - #20

Show

Votes to yay, though I wish I could see it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs down Re: Total War Hanrui 4: World War Hanrui IC

Steel Soul Sect

Spoiler: Hall of Prophecy
    Show

We respect ambition but doubt you can take the territories in a reasonable time. In the least we want 27 it being equidistant to us and if we feel you aren't expanding southward fast enough we may take other territories. Fortune favors the quick and the bold. Seize opportunities while you can.

As for the offer, we respectively ask you avoid using the Dao of Karma on us. If you want to establish a fair trade deal with an intermediary.

Spoiler: Dao of Karma
    Show

For cultivators the dao of Karma is the dao responsible for the future and oaths. It's a nebulous thing but users of it generally are extremely weak but can look into your future and manipulate it heavily if you accept a debt to them, exchange gifts or deals. It isn't uncommon for those who they dislike and make frequent deals with to be hit by a meteor or find a river has shifted course to go through their house.

Spoiler: The Ghul Lodge
    Show

Tianming looks at the sealkin and just sighs. His interest is at least somewhat caught by the parrying knife that was brought at least. He smiles a smile that seems only slightly forced.
    And what little one would you like for more of these weapons?

Show

Interested in the exchange, though remember to wait until you actually see if you get one from your midturn adventure before promising anything. You can always lie seeing I won't be able to know if you have the weapon or not until after the EoT but if you do remember the rep penalty and that Tianming will be angry.

Please do not god mode my faction by saying what my VIP does with out my consent. It's a very cultivator thing to do but if you really want to write a post that includes my action confirm with me first please.

Spoiler: The Azcanti Empire
    Show

I hear you are planning a war and are wondering if you are interested in a skilled fighter joining your battle.

We have no interest in staying in these lands permanently and are here more to temper ourselves and find opportunities. I'm sure if you keep up your goal of reclaiming Hanrui we can be of great help.

Show

The sect is just reiterating Tianming is willing to be hired for the conditions stated earlier seeing you declared a war.

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Midturn 1

Ashka Inkakuna
    Mor 2

Spoiler: Results
    Show
    Ashka Inkakuna sent 5 Adv and Inka Killapa into the Tomb of Sage and cleared 5 floors. They came out with a chest of ancient gold (Temp Econ(+++)), an ancient tapestry of a hobbit in a vault of gold (temp Rep(++++)), and several ancient journals from adventurers (12xp for Killapa). However during one of the fights against the monsters within Killapa was badly wounded (Wounded 2 turns.

Azcanti Empire
    Mor 8

Show

Route created 46-81

Lost Stratum
    Mor 5

Show
    Lost Stratum sent 5 Adv into the Ethreen and cleared 5 floors. They came out with a chest of ancient potions (Temp Adv(++++)), an ancient statue of a glorious Hydra (temp Rep(++++)), and several small gems (temp Econ(++)). However during one of the fights against the monsters within powerful arcane energies were unleashed making the area too dangerous to enter for several months (Locked 2 turns).

Drowned Balam
    Mor 4

Show
    Drowned Balam sent Keilser Dov [Adv 1], Lady Maria [Adv 1], Breve Amnan [Adv 1], and 6 Adv into the Abattoir and cleared 9 floors. They came out with a chest of ancient potions (Temp Adv(++++)), several rare spell reagents (temp Mag(++)), an ancient journal of an Elda Pirate (temp Rep(++)), an ancient adventuring guide (4xp Keilsor Dov), and several small gems (temp Econ(++)). However during one of the fights against the monsters within some loot was lost in the fight (Loot lost on basic floor).

Routes are created from 49-54 and 49-50

Steel Soul Sect
    Mor 6

Show
    The sect sent 4 Adv into the Spirit Crack and cleared 5 floors. They came out with a chest of ancient potions (Temp Adv(++++)), an ancient statue of a glorious Hydra (temp Rep(++++)), and several small gems (temp Econ(++)).

Amatya Expedition
    Mor 4

Show
    The Expedition sent 5 Adv into the Trembling Canyon and cleared 5 floors. They came out with a satchel of ancient potions (Temp Adv(++)), an ancient adventurers journal (4xp for Azil), and several small gems (temp Econ(+)). However during one of the fights against the monsters within caused cave ins making the area too dangerous to enter for several months (Locked 2 turns).

Ghul Lodge
    Mor 4

Show
    The Lodge sent 5 Adv into the Trembling Canyon and cleared 5 floors. They came out with a satchel of ancient potions (Temp Adv(++)), an ancient adventurers journal (8xp for Naluri), and several small gems (temp Econ(+)). However during one of the fights several lesser earth elementals escaped into your territories (Lesser Monster).

Barbarians United
    Mor 8

Show
    The Barbarians sent 6 Adv and Xia (Tier 1 Adv) into the Fallen Clockwork Kingdom and cleared 7 floors. They came out with a several powerful reagents (Temp Mag(++++)), some ancient silver (Temp Econ(+++)), an ancient adventurers journal (4xp for Xia), and an ancient statue of a World Ship (temp Rep(++)). However during a fight with one of the monsters it escaped into your lands to wreak havoc (Major Monster).

Seeds of Bifuldor
    Mor 4

Show
    The Seeds sent Sviful [Adv 2] and 8 Adv into the Golden Pagoda and cleared 10 floors followed by 1 Adv into the Necromancin Dancin and cleared 1 floor. They collectively came out with a satchel of ancient potions (Temp Adv(++)), a powerful flametongue enchanted sword (+1 Mil Item), an ancient tapestry of the Balam invasion (temp Rep(++++)), an ancient adventuring guide (12xp for Sviful), and several gems (temp Econ(+++)). However during one of the fights against the monsters within a powerful wraith made its escape into the surrounding lands (Major Monster) and the mist reacted poorly with the foreign magics causing powerful arcane energies to be released (Locked for 1 round).

Route created 14-63

World Congress

Spoiler: New Lands, New Goods
    Show
    The World Congress has tallied the votes from the member nations of Hanrui and find that the nations voted;
    20 Aye
    6 Nay

The Proposal has passed. Supplies, Explorers, Surveyors, Contacts, and more shall be supplied to find areas with more resources. The preliminary findings have located rich gold mines in the desert of the western continent.

Show
    Territory 78 has 2 Extra Econ in it

EoTs due on Sat Dec 11th
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2021-12-06 at 12:19 AM.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lost Stratum
    Morale 5
    Rep 1

Spoiler: Nine Layer Bank, Amatya Expedition & Barbarians
    Show

A thought-message is communicated to anyone unfortunate to have been assigned to Lost Stratum as an emissary. Urzahaene ul-Khometesh floats out of a foggy shadow, bisected at the waste by a black sphere. The thing that passes for her midsection pulses like a stricken pupil. The space where the orb bisects the saurian is a ruin of bandages and greyed corpse-flesh. Three raptor heads stand slack-jawed, toothed maws open. They jut out over an emaciated form swathed in greying bandages. The wrapping ends blow in a phantom breeze, pulled by magnetic ringlets. The space around them blurs and distorts exaggerating and widening some while shrinking the diameter of others, all dreadfully asynchronous in how they alter. Three pairs of two arms distort the Matron's frame, all made from different types of stone. A pair glow with veins of golden to silver to bronze to black ferro-fluid, rippling with pulses as they reshape into different hand-sigils required for spells. Another shine down the spectrum of visible light to humans, casting the whole affair in a scintillation from red to violet and back to red again as they clasp together in constant prayer. The final dyad of upper limbs are a contrast of onyx and white marble, pierced through with rings that hang diverse saurian holy symbols made of different minerals. A small bell made from grey slate hands on a spinal column chain that once belong to some kind of mammal, held by the last pair of hands. The bell quietly rings after each turn back to where it originally started. The Matron's "true" arms lie crossed across her chest and atrophied to sticks. Useless. A trio of black orbs orbit the saurian, then reshape into a tail of black mercury that dangles below atrophied legs. The nightmare floats a few sedate feet from the grounding of the thought-image. The height of her levitation never alters.

The Matriarch of Ossification communicates her peoples directives in a trio of flat monotones. Despite being absent inflection, the age of each is clearly identifiable as young, middle aged, and ancient. We go where stone turns to sallow fields. We go to die again. And again. And again.

Spoiler
    Show

I plan on advancing no further than 59. If that unreasonable, perhaps we can hash something out.

Last edited by n0ble; 2021-12-07 at 06:40 PM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

24. - Top - End - #24

EvilClericGuy

Ashkha Inkakuna

It took ten winters and a day for the Ashkha to find the first great tomb atop a mountain. When Runapa Quya gazed upon the peak, black with fires age past, she called for the Inka Killapa Anca to ascend, mace clad in hand.

And so, Killapa Anca took the form of a bird, each feather like the shining of a star in the night, each talon like the curve of the waning moon, each eye like the radiance of the gods themselves. And so he flew, and so he reached the tomb of the Sage Who Leads the People to Heaven.

And there he landed, upon a tower of the great city of the god-emperor. There was waiting for him a great sigil of the falcon, and so Killapa Anca knew that this was the place where the Sage dwelled.

After ten days’ search, he came across a house of jewels, each one shining the color of a people under the Empire of the Moon. But he knew of the true treasure he sought, and flew on.

After twenty days’ search, he came across a great tapestry of the primordial men, below even the height of a child, and it dazzled across the mountaintop. But he knew of the true treasure he sought, and flew on.

After one months’ search, he came across seven long ropes of vast knowledge, and from his education he could read of their tales of worlds long past. But he knew of the true treasure he sought, and flew on.

After one month and ten days of search, near death from the exhaustion of such a length in the form of a bird, in an alcove hidden by stone and tree, there came to be found a mummy wrapped in the cloak of a king. And so, the greatest of treasures in hand with three lesser baubles trailing behind, Killapa Anca descended the mountain.

The close minister of the Inka Runapa Quya, upon seeing her brother descend, asked of her master, “thy majesty, shall we prepare steady Rucanas of old, so to aid the Great Sage’s travels?”

And to that Runapa Quya responded, “we are all emperors ordained under the grace of the moon, are we not? We were all feasted to the grave in five years and tended to by our secondborn, were we not?”

And then the Runapa Quya whispered to her minister, “and lo and behold, for our latest polls have spoken, sixty-five of one hundred voters have selected strong disagreement against such a revival of old ways, and thirteen of one hundred have selected moderate disagreement.”

When the body of the honored Sage came to rest before the Inka Runapa Quya, she ordered the Inka Charu Yanaka brought before her, for Charu Yanaka had been descended from the panaqa of the Sage, and could awaken the sovereign his ancestors had served.

And when the eyes of the Sage opened, the immortal emperor gasped a breath like the turn of the world.

“Thy majesty,” The gathered Inkakuna bowed before him in respect for their elder. “Beseech upon us the ways of your empire, the way of reaching the heavens even from the deepest burrows of the earth.”

Sapa Inka Kukapa Taytakura laughed. “There is a distillation you seek, of which I can provide the rituals and formulas. But you shall need one component above all if you wish to see the faces of the gods.”

“Tell me little sovereigns,” his voice rang, “have you heard of a herb in the mountains, for which I am named, called the kuka leaf?”

Mor 2
    Show

As

Show

Equinox League

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

25. - Top - End - #25

EvilClericGuy

Mor 2

Spoiler: Lost Stratum
    Show

Three chasqui, in the form of giant mummified pythons, slither into Buried Ynngalesh. A skilled quipucamayoc recites the message in the ropes bound to their ashen scales.

“Of the five privileged lords of the western land, we have found three to be like us, and two to be not. We wish to define borders and open mutual tribute between those who follow the same ways of rule.”

The chasqui promises to remain in your kingdom as ambassador and quipucamayoc for all future communications, if you would have him. Tied to his back is the corpse of a titanic golden guinea pig, already preserved in brine, as a gift to the charnel lords.

Spoiler
    Show

How are we defining borders? I’ve consulted the Amataya Expedition and Halls of Bound Prophecy in this matter. I’d also like to open trade relations if anything is needed from either side.

Would also be open to a full meeting to discuss borders and mutual association. The barbarians and false sages can come if they so choose, but little respect will be granted.

Spoiler: Amataya Expedition
    Show

Three chasqui, in the form of massive mummified pumas, saunter into New Jalipur. A quipucamayoc recites the message in the ropes bound to their leathery hides.

“Of the five privileged lords of the western land, we have found three to be like us, and two to be not. We wish to define borders and open mutual tribute between those who follow the same ways of rule.”

The chasqui promises to remain in your kingdom as ambassador and quipucamayoc for all future communications, if you would have him. He presents gifts of the finest corn beer and amaranth.

Spoiler
    Show

How are we defining borders? I’ve consulted the Lost Stratum and Halls of Bound Prophecy in this matter. Would also love to open trade relations if either side needs anything.

Would also be open to a full meeting to discuss borders and mutual association. The barbarians and false sages can come if they so choose, but little respect will be granted.

Spoiler: Halls of Bound Prophecy
    Show

Three chasqui, in the form of gigantic mummified condors, silently land near the Hall of the Bound Oracle. A skilled quipucamayoc flutters forward to recite the message in the ropes grasped in their bony talons.

The chasqui promises to remain in your kingdom as ambassador and quipucamayoc for all future communications, if you would have her. She states that she was a minor oracle in a past life, and would grant some of the ways of the Empire of the Moon’s divinations to your people.

Spoiler
    Show

How are we defining borders? I’ve also consulted the Amataya Expedition and Halls of Bound Prophecy in this matter. I’d also like to open trade relations if anything is needed from any side.

Spoiler: Seeds of Elvidor
    Show

A single runner arrives, sprinting atop the very waves of the sea. He is clad in jade and amethyst.

“Across my neck and upon my back are the funds you require for your sea roads. Do not disappoint.”

Spoiler
    Show

1 Econ for the route

Show

As

Show

Equinox League

寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Morale 0
    Rep 1

Spoiler: The Azcani Empire
    Show

A thought message is transmitted to whoever is unfortunate enough to be the Empire's emissary to the real Empire. Black water shines a moonlit blue as it crashes into dun coloured rocks. The impact is enough to shake the frost and nests of snow from their cold moorings and into the ocean. The thought message tracks upward, to where the snow caps the tops of what are revealed to be bluffs hewn from grey stone.

A huge saurain skeleton-seemingly wrought from glass for the transparent nature of its bones-looms over the bluffs. From snout to foot-talons they are as tall as a wagon and then half again and near as long when their tail is accounted. Wind flits through the gaps and chips in the monstrosity's frame, echoing out little whistles or moans that can be heard briefly before the water below drowns them out. The skeleton wears no armour, nor does it have any skin that might play host to scales. The tip of an equally large "sword" rests buried in the bluff's snow, tip slightly pressed into the ground. Calling it a blade is generous. The weapon resembles a jagged shard of glass and cruel edges, of a similar clarity to its wielder. The petrified wood handle of the weapon is wrapped in two hominid hides that trail past the cleaver's pommel. Blood congeals to freezing on the edges. The only movement from the titanic frame is the morphing of its tail end: dissolving and redoubling back upon itself like clear molten glass, forming a variety of killing-ends. Moonlight catches sword and owner, refracting blue through the bones and sword in the chill air of the night.

At the Maw of Epoch's feet is a dying ursine, adding its dying breath to the chorus of moans that emanate from the silent victor. Blood matts the white fur of the mammals coat where a single blow has severed its spine clean through. Yet still, some animal instinct urges the creature on past the fact that its dying. Ignorant, or perhaps frightened, the ursine tries to crawl one last time, then dies as blood foams from its lips. The saurian stands still, as it has throughout the entire vision. Impassive as the mountain upon which it stands.

No words come from the skeleton's lipless jaws. Just more moaning and groans as the wind capers through its ribs.

Show

Morale 5
    Rep 1

Spoiler: Ashkha Inkakuna
    Show

A large metoposaurus lumbers forth from one of the five great Spikes of Onyx that function as Lost Stratums highest level: the Crown of Ynngalesh. The door looks more like a set of stone-carved teeth opening than a proper doorway. The amphian mount drips with positive energy magics, very specifically living with a potent aura of haleness about it. Veins and arteries swell a purple light underneath the metoposaur's skin, illiuminating its frontal cortex the same violet life color. The rest of the creature's skin is black and sleek with a mucus coat. Its head is broad and spade-like.

A small compsognathus, looking more like an exquisitely embalmed waterfowl than a saurian, sits in a meditative trance upon the metopoaur. The little sauropod’s small eyes resonate with the same purple and same black-one each-as small cracked open geodes that are a touch to small for the tiny sockets. The Matron, a comparatively minor one judging by her own stature, begins to hover a full length of her decrepit tail from the howadah’s polished gold base.

With a twitch of the compsonathus’wrist the mammal affixed to the upright mammal’s back quivers with the same strange life as the massive amphibian now half a tail’s length from the quipucamayoc. The rodent and living mount meet halfway-the mammal pulled on by some animal urge made manifest by the plum coloured aura of light that colors its eyes. The mouth of the amphibian yawns open and swallows the guinea pig. Whole and without sound.

Matron Ishek is curt, her thought-communication clearly stunted. Halting. It is an. Interesting question. The though trails off as the great salamander underneath her heaves with changes: a fine coat of thick bronze-gold hairs push out from the black skin, oiled with the same slime. A bit of slime dribbles from the mount and onto the ground with a caustic hiss. A beard of amethyst tentacles spill forth from the creatures chin, trailing and twitching like whiskers. Ynnagalesh. Cares not. Two secondary sets of rodent-eyes stack below the amphibious ones, clearly possessed of the same lenses needed for underwater travel. The latter become elongated on stocks. For the Barbarians.

Show

Definitely down for a big meeting with everyone else. The Merfolk/False Empire issue is definite thing that needs discussing.

Onto the subject of Barbarians. They needs to go. I have several ideas for what to do. Right now there’s the problem of them having a meta IC f*ckton of morale, near double ours combined. Solutions:
    1) We uh, use a sh!tload of magic to delete the terrain between you and them, then make a big morale VIP out of it for your as a collaborative LTP. (Giant mountain-ankylosaur to guard the lands?).
    2) I can trade you some adv. to get a route through mountains. Less cool, more effective.
    3) Consider my message to the three other factions visible to you as well. I would like [60] in exchange for use of the 4 temp adventurers I got at midturn and I’ll field honest 1:1 trades of my esp for econ or magic, and I’d like to know what they’re being used for. My esp vip is also on the table for use under the same condition.
    4) We should prep something nasty for the Barbarians. Maybe a world congress bill that incentivizes attacking them with certain stats next turn? Could maybe sway the Expedition to use their rep and help swing in return for southern territorial concessions on your part? Could be a good incentive as you’d be getting the lions share of territories from the Barbarians when we crumple them to offset any territorial concessions you have to make to swing the vote.

Last edited by n0ble; 2021-12-14 at 01:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Legion
    Mor 6
    Rep 6

Spoiler: Public
    Show
    We are reaching out to the nations on these lands for aid in our projects. We comes to Hanrui in the pursuit of research to determine more about the curse that continues and is spreading throughout the lands. One of the main ways we plan on doing this is through the examination of the Hanrui hearts, through both your Hearts you unearth and the ones we find. To do this we need aid with the following projects;

Adventuring Aid: We need the aid of other nations to grow our already extensive adventuring force. We plan on finding several hearts which means many experienced adventurers. We will be training new experienced groups every few months but need aid in ramping up the training. We will allow the nation that helps us the most to use our dungeons as long as they do not finish the final floor.
    Show
    The Legion is asking for aid making 5 Adv. The nation that helps them the most when the 5 Adv has finished gains the win on the LTP and the VP. Also they get access to the Legions Dungeons but not the hearts.

Magical Vivisection: We will be looking through these Hearts of Hanrui that are part of the recurring and, we believe, part of the spread of the curse. They are being found in the dungeons further and further away, showing how the land is being brought under the influence of the curse. We will need help from nations to get a Heart blessing and also aid us in creating the magical expertise and dissection necessary.
    Show
    The project requires a Heart to be provided to the LEgion and a 20 point Project (15 Mag). The benefit in the project will allow the winning nation to manipulate any Blessings/Curses they get later down the line for more benefit. Winner also gains the VP.

Spoiler: Realm of Refulgent Lords
    Show
    Greetings,

We look forward to working with you in the future. The curse of Hanrui is something that we need to discover more of in order to curb or even solve in the future. The legion has fought this curse for millennia and we wish to determine more solid ways to fight it.

Spoiler: Amatya Expedition
    Show
    Greetings,

We are glad to be working with such a noble and trustworthy group once again. As you can see in our public messages there are projects we are working on to help us solve the mysteries of Hanrui and bring back balance. There would be benefits to those who aid us so you would not be left out in the dark after aiding us in this. Maybe next season we can continue discussion on a shared project.

Regards,
    Lady Greydane

Pillar
    Mor 5
    Rep 3

Show
    The Pillar has arrived on Hanrui for the purposes of magical experimentation. We wish to use the opportunities to learn more about this fascinating land and the opportunities that evolve around it. We bring back our Titan as well, looking to renew him to his glory. The close work nations do with us will result in powerful projects provided to them on completion that will aid them in whatever goals they are pursuing.

Magical Aid: We need the aid of other nations to grow our already extensive magical force. We plan on working on multiple projects at a time which means many experienced mages. We will be training new experienced mages every few months but need aid in ramping up the training. We will allow the nation that helps us the most to have a say on possible projects and request aid.
    Show
    The Pillar is asking for aid making 5 Mag. The nation that helps them the most when the 5 Mag has finished gains the win on the LTP and the VP. Also they get access to the knowledge of the Pillar projects and can request aid.

Upgrade the Titan: Our loyal protector is millennia old and the battles, time, and magics he has been involved in have worn him down. Titan needs to be renewed and given the situation now it makes sense to do the project here among Hanrui where he was created. We request the aid of other nations, the nation that aids us the most will be provided the intricacies of the Titan creation from millennia past with our own notes as millennia passed.
    Show
    Upgrade Titan to Tier 4 Mil. This can be done through point spending or by sacrificing a VIP to add the Tier to Ttian. The nation that helps the most gets the VP and the benefit Titans Flesh which allows VIP Tier 1 creation at a -2 cost.

Spoiler: Realm of Refulgent Lords
    Show
    Greetings,

We always are eager to meet new cabals and magical repositories. Next season we can work together on a project possibly one of the ones we laid out. We always need more aid in expanding our cabal and in the project to renew Titan.

Bank
    Mor 2
    Rep 3

Show
    Greetings future customers! We are here to organize some investment opportunities for our valued friends and customers. Our future projects will be of great aid to us, all of us. Mostly us but those who aid us will receive some great benefits for sure! We look to bring a more stable economy to Hanrui, one that is controlled by an experienced financial structure like us! Truly we have the best in mind for... Everyone.

Economic Growth: We need the aid of other nations to grow our already extensive economy. We plan on working on multiple projects at a time which means many experienced economists and varied resources. We will be training new experienced members and locating new resources every few months but need aid in ramping up the the acquisition. We will allow the nation that helps us the most to have better rates on loans.
    Show
    The Bank is asking for aid making 5 Econ. The nation that helps them the most when the 5 Econ has finished gains the win on the LTP and the VP. Also they get access to better loan rates.

Summon the 9: We are looking to reach out to... 'civilian advisors' from our old home in the hells, many on each level have extensive experience that we wish to benefit from. We would be asking for a nation to help for help in the form in setting up the summoning of at least one demon or more. We would use the summoned beings to provide our Bank some expertise then have them duke it out for the right to stay in this existence.
    Show
    This is a 45 point project (30 Mag/Econ) that is done in increments of 5. Every in increment is a summoned demon and at the end of the turn after they are summoned the demons fight and the greatest contributor gains the VIP. The nation that aids the most gains the VP and benefit of the special VIP. The VIP provides a way to decrease Rep loss from breaking Nation rules and can be re-summoned.

Spoiler: Lost Stratum
    Show
    We are amenable with this land distribution. Let us know if you wish for a loan to assist your expansion!

Spoiler: Azcanti Empire
    Show
    Greetings,

We care not for your islands but we will inform you that we are planning to expand into 63 this turn. As for having a military power near us we do not care one way or another, we are secure in our safety and the desire of our other neighbors to maintain the neighbor offering them deals. We are always looking to deal however, contact us if you wish for a loan of resources to aid in your wars or expansion.

Let us know.

Spoiler: Seeds
    Show
    Greetings,

Finally a like minded group. Routes to open up trades would be a great plan, we would be willing to aid in the creation of a trade route next season if you still desire aid in route creation, though we would require a favor as we do all our deals. Something related to sending trade deals through us to your future allies.

However as we have told others we plan on taking 63 for ourselves. We are open to an ongoing deal for trade through that territory or for you to make an offer buying it from us.

Golemarchy
    Mor 6
    Rep 2

Show
    We are looking to develop our ways to get our way back home developed. Our people need our aid and the aid of those here. Our people are trapped on a magicless world. Our people are dedicated to lead missions through the portals to our now dangerous world and need the aid of our fellows to aid us. The benefits will not just help us but those who are our friends.

Military Growth: We need the aid of other nations to grow our already powerful military. We plan on working on several missions at a time which means many experienced battalions and up to date equipment. We will be training new experienced squads and creating new equipment every few months but need aid in ramping up the the acquisition. We will allow the nation that helps us will be able to call upon us for aid at times.
    Show
    The Golemarchy is asking for aid making 5 Mil. The nation that helps them the most when the 5 Mil has finished gains the win on the LTP and the VP. Also they get access to small reinforcements at times.

Portal: We are looking to create a portal that we can use to evacuate a large town on our world as proof of concept for our mission. The project will need to have large amounts of military forces to protect themselves from the monsters and creatures on the other side. Then we also need the magic to wake our golem brethren and maintain the portal. Those who help the most will be rewarded with the portal project notes to bring in other golems from our world in return for some time spent as soldiers.
    Show
    Project is for 30 points (20 Mil/Mag) and the reward is a permenant reduction in the Mag:Mil ratio by 1.

Spoiler: Azcanti Empire
    Show
    Greetings Neighbors

We are amenable with that split of land. If we desire another piece we will bargain with you for it or expand overseas. The non-aggression with each other sounds good, we wish to keep our armies at home for our expeditions into the other world. We can make no promises for the long term of course, if someone offers us a great deal to aid us in our desires in return for military aid then it shall be.

We shall keep our lines of communication open and honest however never worry that you shall find golems marching down the mountains and the roads without announcement.
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2021-12-15 at 02:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Steel Soul Sect

Spoiler: The 9 layer bank
    Show

We are interested in this demon battle royale. Now I know I am not a demon cultivator but I would like to get in on this Jincan-esque situation to temper myself. I promise I won't mortally wound the last standing one too badly and think of the experience.

Show

Tianming wants to join in on the massive demon murdering each other competition.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 2

“…the object of waging a war is always to be in a better position in which to wage another war.” - George Orwell

Spring gives way to the burning hot summers and cool autumns of rest of the year. Dirt is baked under the sun, perfect for stomping feet of armies or the travel of emissaries. Summer is the season of war.

The War of Tides

The Azcanti Empire is not one for empty words. Their declaration of war is shortly followed by a massive wave of force, both literally and figuratively. Along the shores of the Pillar the water rose and spread, pushed by the being from the depths. The vicious leviathan that is a walking, fighting, horrifying army transport. The Breachmaw.

The Breachmaw pushes onto the shore, destroying the simple fortifications and watchtowers with ease. An army of warriors bursting forth from its maw to slay those remaining, led by their fearless leaders the twins Prince Kopolan and Princess Tishiva. The pair manage to lead their army against the local forces as the Pillar rallies its forces.

The war is very much a one sided victory. The recently arrived wizards are unable to mount a proper defense as the massive leviathan and army of mermen ravage the towns and villages surrounding the Pillar. Even as cabals of battlemages attempt to give battle it is clearly just a delaying mechanism as they are slain by the dozen. The cabals pushes back the mermen over the bodies of their comrades with liberal use of lightning and air magics. As they gain enough room the Pillar begins its move, massive magical vibrations coming forth.

Finally as the forces collapse back into the tower the Pillar vanishes once more from the spot it had landed only a few short years ago. Disappearing from the land into a new acquisition. The Empire is left the victors of the field gaining a foothold on the new continent! All shall tremble before them!

Expansion

The Eastern continent sees an explosive expansion in its south end. The Hall of Bound Prophecy spreads throughout the Hydra Range in the south, taking territories in a myriad of ways from diplomatic coups to marching armies. Along the Eastern south side the Steel Soul Sect spreads throughout the thin band of land. The Seeds of Bifuldor spread along their stretch on the north western side of the continent while on the other side the Legion slowly spreads slightly.

The Western continent sees expansion all over, some of it violent. The southernmost tip of the continent is ravaged by the War of the Tides as the Azcanti Empire spreads to the continent, waging war on the Pillar who in turn spreads through the rest of the tip. The Amatya Expedition spreads over the desert, including the rich lands mentioned by the Congress. In the northern tundra the Lost Stratum spreads slightly south while jumping down to the end of the tundra. The Inkakuna slowly moves to the bottleneck of the Western most area of the Western continent. The Bank spreads through its small area of the continent.

The islands in the middle of the sea are home to much expansion as well. Each of the three islands seeing movement. In the south Drowned Balam spreads to the main island on each side. In the north one of the smaller coastal islands is taken by the Refulgent Lords. The center sees the most expansion with the Golems and the Empire each taking two territories.

Show
    Azcanti Empire gains Multi-Continental Title

Spread of Domains

The smooth charming words of Dujair, the diplomat from the Amatya Expedition, makes a strong argument for the World Congress to be aiding the expansion of these nations into the new lands. It would allow the peoples and places to be properly represented one way or another, finding more of the long lost hearts and Hanrui infections. The argument is well reasoned and the Congress agrees to put it forward to the nations for your opinions.

Show
    If yes then the expansion cost is reduced by 1 if no then it is the same.

Very Important People

The World Congress is glad to welcome the arrival of Lord Irian Vel'Coli and his entourage to Hanrui. He is eager to see the interaction of the nations in Hanrui, an extremely rare event leading to interactions between nations driven to heights and lows he is eager to view and write about. The World Congress is willing to invite him in and have nations host him and his entourage but only if the nations agree to have him among them.

Show
    If nations vote yes then nations can bid on the Tier 2 Rep VIP and entourage (1 Rep) to join them. If nations vote no on the event then he is not available.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Drowned Balam

Deep within the risen City’s grand temples and midnight arcades, so far from the sea that one might go mad seeking anything but the ashen black of civilization and the iridescent glory of the Blood, there is a plaza, which in ages past was a market, and a mustering ground, and a pyre. In its centre is a beautiful fountain, and atop that fountain an awesome throne.

For sleepless weeks scriveners and scholars had poured over the hieroglyphs and mosaics that surrounded it, as their peers spent their genius on ever-more potent refinements of the Blood. Now, as the sovereign moon rose pink and full in the sky, their lord would enjoy the fruits of their work.

Keilser Dov was a giant among men, foremost among the captains of Drowned Balam. It was he who had first drunk of the Blood, and so disturbed the dreaming death which now so rules all those carrion crows who had thought to pick it clean.

Now he took his basalt throne, resplendent in his rainments, his Men of Brass gathered around him by their hundreds, beating their shields or singing in chorus as they were bid. Around him darted adepts and Ruinseekers, steel and glass flashing in the moonlight as they bled him of every tainted drop in his veins.

The ritual began as the bloody moon reached its zenith and continued until the masses’ arms were leaden and the chorus’ throats were raw, though it had not yet begun its descent. The mists which so damned the unwary and unprepared sealed the plaza, but all within was clear and cloudless. The beasts and wretches who haunted every corner, and the mad and lost so ruled by lunacy on these blessed nights, were nowhere to be seen. This rite was sacred and sacrosanct, and all who had tasted the Blood knew it.

Dov styled himself the Brass Duke, though he was neither. But as he was bled to the edge of nothing, his knuckles white as he held his throne and bit down on leather to guard his dignity against unbecoming cries, those ministering to him unveiled knives and needles of that very thing, piercing his flesh with a score of glass tubes and flasks, vessels for the refined substance which would now fill his heart.

Oh Reader, if you could see his eyes as this blessed ichor raced through his veins. How he shook! How he screamed! How terror triumphed over pride! For his rainments were shackles now, his empty arms too weak to bear the weight of his own splendid armour. But the City’s ancient soul took pity and hid his shame, drowning his cries with a new chorus from beyond the plaza’s edge, howls both lupine and lunatic paying their homage to his greed, which now seemed so like zeal.

The man’s pathetic struggles grew as his heart was filled, and for the first time pumped with deathless blood. He shuddered, as if overcome with seizure, and as his fists closed they crushed the rock beneath them to powder. He screamed truly now, roared, as muscle and bone erupted and stretched his hardening skin. He had been called a giant of a man, and now he became one in truth, as tall as any two warriors in his company, as fearsome to behold as any ten. His hair and beard grew wild and thick, the lustrous color of decades past returning to them, and his eyes were strange to behold, the abyssal black of the stones beneath which he would find his glory.

At last he shuddered, and gasped, and grew still. And then in one thunderous heartbeat he stood, and from the fountain beneath him a nameless liquid began to rush, though all who drank it would know it as ambrosia.

As one, the Men of Brass bowed before their captain. And with them, the moon began its descent across the sky.

Lord Keilser Dov is now level 2

------------------------------------

Rep 3, Morale 4

Spoiler: Azcanti Empite
    Show

All are welcome in Balam’s harbour district, and the most your emissaries need worry about are the excess and roughness common to all sailors in port and soldiers at rest. Any greater risks they stumble on would only be what they went seeking.

We are seekers, not conquistadors, we live for the glory of the ancient and the transcendent, not the dream of dusting Hanrui with the ashes of yet another passing empire. Should you wish to plant your flag on the isle of Mhallo and claim an embassy, we will not oppose you. But out surveyors have found promising hints of what might lay beneath [51], and we cannot in good conscience give it up. I offer instead [52] to your tender mercies, should you wish to take it. The start of a beautiful friendship, I’m sure.

This assumes your offer of support is genuine, of course. Depending on the reception the idea of expanding our search to to the far shores of Hanrui receive, I may yet ask you to make it public.

Spoiler: Halls of Bound Prophecy
    Show

Greetings, oh eyeless seer,

I have nothing but respect for your many arts and talents, and look forward to a day where I might hear you prophecy on the nature of this blessed and haunted land.

To that end, and to ensure that there is no needless strife, I write to inform you that my peers have made plans and are charting maps to extend our search for the lost glories of the ancients. They will make landfall in the coming months, and in the end will lay claim to the seaward curve of the Spine of Khalos [17, 18], so as to study the nature of its emergence.

Once the first maps have been charted, I would be very interested in the possibility of trade, or of cooperation in deciphering the mysteries of those who came before us.

Spoiler: Seeds of Bifuldor
    Show

Greetings, oh horizon-walking exiles,
    I must admit I regard your confederacy with envy, such are the talents and passions you have assembled, they put my own city’s arts to shame. I wait with baited breath to see the wonders they may yet unearth from this blessed land, and hope to call your best and brightest friends as they do.

To that end, and to ensure that there is no needless strife, I write to inform you that my peers have made plans and are charting maps to extend our search for the lost glories of the ancients. They will make landfall in the coming months, and in the end will lay claim to the seaward curve of the Spine of Khalos [17, 18], so as to study the nature of its emergence.

Once the first maps have been charted, I would be very interested in the possibility of trade, or of cooperation in seeking the arts and treasures of the ancients, side by side..

Spoiler: Steel Soul Sect
    Show

Greetings, oh seekers of perfection,

I have nothing but respect for your many arts and talents, and look forward to a day where I might see the greatness you have achieved with mine own eyes.

Once the first maps have been charted, I would be very interested in the possibility of trade, and depending on the stances of our other neighbours, we may yet ask you to make good on your offer of service as a champion.

Spoiler: Nine-Layered Bank
    Show

Greetings, oh fiendish financiers,

If you’re seeking investment opportunities, our City would be well-served by a loan, or the contracted aid of your surveyors and explorers. The expeditions and research required by our Great Work has outpaced our ability to carry them out, and an infusion of capital would pay for itself many times over.

Last edited by St. Justicar; 2021-12-21 at 08:08 PM.
    Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show

Won Rise of Kingdoms as the Free City of Khasal
    Lost Hanrui 3 as the Clockwork Republic
    Technically Won Principia 2 as the Iron Gods of Ur
    Won Mandate of Heaven as the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh