A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default NWoD Mortals game interest check

Panorama: Britain's forgotten cults

In October 1999, over a hundred members of the Callers of Cernunnos group were found dead at their commune in Aighstone, Surrey. With no members left alive for questioning, the motivation behind their actions remains shrouded in mystery. Now with the resurgence of so-called 'cult' religions in the United States, Panorama takes an inside look at one of the largest and most infamous cults in Britain's recent history. Using unseen footage from the group's secret archives and interviews with those involved, we attempt to recreate the events which led up to the fateful night twenty years ago.

You were a resident of Aighstone at some point during the cult's existence. You knew of them, although they did not play a significant role in your life. The members rarely strayed from their commune compound, and outsiders were never allowed in. Maybe you grew up with some of the cult members. Maybe you were a kid who once snuck onto the compound on a dare. Maybe you were the group's finance manager, or their lawyer, or the grocer they did their monthly shop at. Maybe you were part of the police force who eventually found the bodies. Whatever the reason, the Panorama crew have called on you to help with making the documentary, on-site in Aighstone. Well, it's not like you were doing anything better anywayÖ

So, Iíve been wanting to play a mortal world of darkness game for what seems like years now, and since my IRL group has delayed it for the umpteenth time, I thought Iíd try it on the forums here. Itís going to be my first time ST-ing a NWoD game, but Iím looking forward to having a nice, newbie-friendly game with some cool and creepy atmosphere. Is anyone interested?

Spoiler: Game details
    Show
    System: Chronicles of Darkness
    Player Count: 4-5
    Style of Play: Roleplay heavy, focus on exploration. Combat possible if we make it that far
    Allowed Content: Iím going to be using the Chronicles of Darkness core book only. Sorry folks. the NWOD book with the God machine rules update but this should play out the same as the ď2eĒ CofD, I believe
    Character Creation:
    Character creation is as per the core rules. If youíre not familiar with the character creation
    or donít have the books at hand, Iíll put up a quickstart guide. In terms of the backstory, try
    and create a character with a peripheral knowledge or connection to the cult. They should
    not have been a cult member, nor stayed on the cult property for longer than a few hours at
    any point. Try to answer some of the following questions in your backstory to help flesh out
    the characters:
    • How old was your character when the incident occured?
    • How was your character affected by the incident, if at all?
    • When did your character leave Aighstone? Why did they leave?
    • Whatís your characterís favourite memory of Aighstone?
    • There is a resident of Aighstone to whom your character has a strong connection. Who
      are they? Is your character looking forward to the reunion? Why, or why not?

Other Notes:
    Dice rolls will be done here on the forum. The tone will be sinister and creepy rather than outright
    gory or violent, but be prepared for dark moments and deranged characters.

Spoiler: Setting details
    Show

Panorama is an investigative documentary series produced by the BBC. It covers all sorts of topics from government scandals to football, from North Korea to the infamous interview with Princess Diana. It usually involves interviews, undercover reporting and reconstructions, all of which you should expect in the game. There are a number of episodes available online if you want to check them out but it's definitely not necessary for the game.

Aigjstone is a fictional village in Surrey, England. It's quiet, isolated, and only has maybe a hundred people living there. Everyone knows everyone else. Think Sandford from Hot Fuzz. There's a high street, a decommissioned train station, a local museum, two pubs, and very little else.

Surrey itself is a stereotypical green, leafy county in England, just southwest of London. It's known for being one of the most uneventful places in the country. Sure it has cities dotted around the place. But the countryside? Nothing ever happens. Nothing. Literally. Take it from someone who lives here. Everyone is well off and posh and drives land rovers and... cults? What cults? We don't have cults here. Look at how normal and quiet our pastoral village life is. I think you've been watching too many weird movies. Why don't you sit back, relax, have some cream tea and some scones from Waitrose. They are good, aren't they?
    Last edited by An Aardvark; 2021-11-30 at 01:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: NWoD Mortals game interest check

i will take you up on that. im leaning ex-military turned police, with combat experience
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-11-29 at 12:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Intrigued.

Given the village setting, I'd like to play a horrible goose, but that probably wouldn't fit the rules.

So I'll play someone who was a small child (~4-6) at the time of the mass suicide. Let's call him Miles Moore. He'd be mid-to-late twenties now.

Mom joined the cult six months after Miles was born (dealing with postpartum?) Dad split and took Miles with him rather than let him be raised by a cult. Mom visited a couple of times but Miles doesn't remember anything solid (perhaps repressed memories?)

I'll come up with a memory later. Probably some image, one of those things that follow you as you grow up but you don't remember the relevance of.

Mom was one of the ones found dead. After that, Dad moved far away.
    Last edited by Quivernas; 2021-11-30 at 10:17 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

with god-machine in cofd, it says we start with 10 dots in merits. are we following that?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    i will take you up on that. im leaning ex-military turned police, with combat experience
    with god-machine in cofd, it says we start with 10 dots in merits. are we following that?
    That would be a great concept, yeah. Looking forward to the rest! But actually I've managed to borrow a CofD book 😅 so I'll be using that system instead I think. It'll be easier that way, I think. I'll update the OP. I believe that gives you seven merit dots at character creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Quivernas View Post
    Intrigued.

Given the village setting, I'd like to play a horrible goose, but that probably wouldn't fit the rules.

So I'll play someone who was a small child (~4-6) at the time of the mass suicide. Let's call him Miles Moore. He'd be mid-to-late twenties now.

Mom joined the cult six months after Miles was born (dealing with postpartum?) Dad split and took Miles with him rather than let him be raised by a cult. Mom visited a couple of times but Miles doesn't remember anything solid (perhaps repressed memories?)

I'll come up with a memory later. Probably some image, one of those things that follow you as you grow up but you don't remember the relevance of.

Mom was one of the ones found dead. After that, Dad moved far away.
    The goose game would be an interesting concept for a WoD game haha! The character would be perfect too. Good level of contact with the cult without actually being a member

6. - Top - End - #6

am i legally allowed to carry a gun as a bobby in 1999? i would like to be able to, but i highly doubt you'll allow that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

So big city journalists who came form here. Had a mental incident and came home. Is that a good concept.
    Been bored and snooping around.
    Last edited by Chronomancer79; 2021-11-30 at 03:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

am i legally allowed to carry a gun as a bobby in 1999? i would like to be able to, but i highly doubt you'll allow that.
    If you're a trained firearms officer, yes. But you generally won't carry one, unless you're expecting firearms-related trouble. Or you're in Northern Ireland- they regularly carry pistols, firearms officers usually carry rifles. If you want a gun, go for a farmer- shotgun licences are available, as are all gun licences, if you have a need for the gun, and farmers have a need- keep foxes out of the chickens, shoot dogs worrying sheep, scare birds off crop seeds. A farm vet might be able to carry a pistol, but not accessibly and not often, to euthanise large injured animals like cattle, horses, and so on.

Also, I'm expressing some interest, too. I live in Kent, Surrey's really not that far from me. Probably either a local child who maybe went to school with some cultists or a bereaved sibling, except I think someone's claimed that already.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

Join us in the Nexus, down in Free Form Roleplaying!

9. - Top - End - #9

thanks for helping me, as im not from that rainy little island

i meant no offense

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

So, like Earl of Purple said, gun control is pretty strict and really only farmers and people who go hunting would be expected to have guns. You could have a gun for work purposes as a trained officer but you wouldn't be carrying it around outside of work. Also, just to clarify the incident happened in 1999 but the documentary is taking place now. Although the gun situation hasn't really changed since the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronomancer79 View Post
    So big city journalists who came form here. Had a mental incident and came home. Is that a good concept.
    Been bored and snooping around.
    So, you would only just be returning home so you wouldn't have time to do much snooping but otherwise yeah, that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Also, I'm expressing some interest, too. I live in Kent, Surrey's really not that far from me. Probably either a local child who maybe went to school with some cultists or a bereaved sibling, except I think someone's claimed that already.
    Local child works. I think bereaved sibling might be too close to the other back story though. The cultist kids would have been home schooled at the compound but you could have known them before they joined the cult and left school? And honestly Kent would have worked just as well. I just picked Surrey because that's what I'm familiar with. Just tiny English village vibes.

11. - Top - End - #11

here's charlie finch

intelligence 2
    wits 3
    resolve 2

strength 3
    dexterity 3
    stamina 2

presence 2
    manipulation 1
    composure 3

mental
    *crafts 3 (handyman)
    medicine 2 (first aid)
    academics 2

physical
    *athletics: 3
    brawl 2
    firearms 3 (shotgun)
    survival 2
    stealth 1

social
    intimidation 2
    animal ken 2

trained observer 1
    ambidextrous 3
    prof training (laborer) 2
    resources 1
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-12-01 at 04:20 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Kent's the most densely populated county of England, it's really hard to be remote in Kent. Possible, sure, but really hard. I can get on a bus and then twenty or thirty minutes later I'm at a train station and can go to London. Or I could also go to Dover and then cross the Channel.

Maybe the child of a neighbour to the compound; what did they do there? Grow vegetables and operate a farm shop? How'd they support themselves? What's happened to the compound since, who owns it? Maybe I'm a newcomer who's moved into a housing estate on top of the site.

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

13. - Top - End - #13

i swapped to farmer

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

I'll ponder this tomorrow, and see what I can come up with. I'm going to bed now.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Are supernatural merits allowed? Specifically mind of a madman.

16. - Top - End - #16

what, planning to go loco in the cabeza this soon?

dark passenger from hurt locker is way better
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-11-30 at 07:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

here's charlie finch
    Looks good glancing over it. What are you thinking for your backstory?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Kent's the most densely populated county of England, it's really hard to be remote in Kent. Possible, sure, but really hard. I can get on a bus and then twenty or thirty minutes later I'm at a train station and can go to London. Or I could also go to Dover and then cross the Channel.

Maybe the child of a neighbour to the compound; what did they do there? Grow vegetables and operate a farm shop? How'd they support themselves? What's happened to the compound since, who owns it? Maybe I'm a newcomer who's moved into a housing estate on top of the site.
    Shows how little I know about my neighbours haha! I have friends in Kent but can't say I've been in the Kent countryside much myself. But Surrey is pretty well connected to London as well, so it shouldn't feel too isolated as a setting.

The compound used to be self sufficient, growing their own food and so forth. They used to buy anything they couldn't farm or craft themselves. Nobody knows where they got the money from. They definitely didn't operate a shop of any kind. After the incident the land remained deserted for more than a decade. Then it was bought up by some rich American guy about a year ago. Your character would have heard about it causing quite a scandal in the village. Some people accused the village council of selling out. But contrary to their expectations he didn't build a McDonald's there, or a supermarket. It's just been sitting unused, just as it has been. Although there seems to be more activity going on there recently. If your characters don't know this already from contacts in the village, they'll find out soon enough when they get there. The village rumour mill is very active.

Are supernatural merits allowed? Specifically mind of a madman.
    That would be an interesting one. Reading through the exact wording of the merit though, you might not get much use out of it at the start of the game. I don't want to give too much away but the "crime" committed, if there was one, was over twenty years ago and the facts of it are unclear so that may make things difficult.

18. - Top - End - #18

i dont really have any ideas for my backstory. could i have some help please?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

what, planning to go loco in the cabeza this soon?

dark passenger from hurt locker is way better
    Umm no to dark passenger, yeah guess there are other ways be good at investigation.

20. - Top - End - #20

oh ye of little faith. dark passenger is always the way to go. just keep a stack of protein bars in your bag

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by An Aardvark View Post
    The goose game would be an interesting concept for a WoD game haha!
    I'm actually surprised there isn't a parody game floating around the 'net. "Goose: the Honkening" or something.

The character would be perfect too. Good level of contact with the cult without actually being a member.
    I'll go with that then. One change: since we have at least two authentically British people here, let's say that Miles was taken by his father to America. He lived there until recently. That will neatly explain why Miles *cough me cough* doesn't sound Britsh, and why he's laughably ignorant about British life.

22. - Top - End - #22

its hjonkening, and that would be terrifying, to say the least

you wot mate? your not bri'ish?
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-11-30 at 09:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

I am not British is that going to be a problem?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

i dont really have any ideas for my backstory. could i have some help please?
    So, there are a few options depending on how old you want your character to be. If they were a kid in 1999, you could have been at school with some cultists, similar to what some of the others have proposed. At slightly older, you could have worked at one of the shops or farms in the area before you eventually moved away. If you were a farmer in 1999 you might have owned a farm in the area yourself, then sold the property after the incident and moved elsewhere. As a somewhat more interesting story, you could have done a farming apprenticeship at one of the neighbouring farms as a teenager, spending your student days hanging around the village. That would give you a character in his late thirties with strong links and contacts within the village itself while retaining his outsider status. Although in that case you may want to shift an extra dot to academics, possibly from medicine? Three dots seem like a lot unless you've had some formal experience working as a paramedic or something. Or your farmhands are particularly accident prone and you have to keep patching them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Quivernas View Post
    I'm actually surprised there isn't a parody game floating around the 'net. "Goose: the Honkening" or something.
    This is definitely something I will be running in the future 😂 And yes, the American thing works fine. Might even give you an edge when it comes to the new owners of the compound.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I am not British is that going to be a problem?
    Nope, not a problem at all. As long as you were in that specific tiny English village in 1999 for some reason, and have enough of a connection to it that a documentary crew would fly you back to interview you on site

Edit: Sorry. Misread your question. No, your not being British should have no bearing on the game at all. It's a fairly easy background to role play if I'm honest. Be very sarcastic, talk about the weather a lot, and have your beer at room temperature. If your character is not British, see above
    Last edited by An Aardvark; 2021-11-30 at 09:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

i like the third one, i'll take that

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

OK, here's a quicky sheet for Miles.

Spoiler: Miles Moore Sheet
    Show
    Name: Miles Moore Age: 27 Player: Quivernas
    Virtue: Reasonable Vice: Arrogant Concept: Academic/wannabe writer

Intelligence: 3 Wits: 2 Resolve: 3
    Strength: 2 Dexterity: 2 Stamina: 2
    Presence: 2 Manipulation: 2 Composure: 3

Academics: 3 (History)
    Computer: 1
    Crafts: 0
    Investigation: 2
    Medicine: 0
    Occult: 3 (Cults)
    Politics: 1
    Science: 1
    Athletics: 1
    Brawl: 0
    Drive: 1
    Firearms: 0
    Larceny: 0
    Stealth: 1
    Survival: 1
    Weaponry: 0
    Animal Ken: 0
    Empathy: 1
    Expression: 2 (Non-fiction Writing)
    Intimidation: 0
    Persuasion: 1
    Socialize: 1
    Streetwise: 0
    Subterfuge: 2

Health: 7
    Will: 6
    Integrity: 7
    Size: 5
    Speed: 9
    Aspirations:
    * Write a book
    * Understand Mom
    * Debunk paranormal claims
    Merits:
    Encyclopedic Knowledge (Occult)
    Library (Online databases) 2 pts.
    Contacts (skeptic groups) 1 pt.
    Resources 2 pts.

Spoiler: Background Interview
    Show

The camera focuses on a young man who manages to look old. Despite having an unlined face, his high forehead and receding hairline make him look prematurely bald. An upward tilt to his head and a perpetual squint make him look myopic, and perhaps a little conceited.

"The last memory I have of my mother ... it's just an image. We're walking away, I think Dad is carrying me. She's just watching us go, no waving, no crying, nothing. I remember a white dress. I don't think she wore dresses before she joined the Callers. Now she's wearing a very plain white dress.

"There's a tree beside her. Somehow I can't remember where we are - I'm guessing near the Caller's compound, but I don't remember what it looked like - but I can remember the tree. I remember it like a very big Christmas tree, just a big pointed conifer. Mom is ... is gone, but I'm betting that tree is still there. I'd like to find it."

[Question] What are you hoping to find?

"I didn't originally want to come here, to be honest. I know it probably seems like I've lived my life focusing on what happened with my mother, but it really hasn't been like that. Yes, I've got a Masters in History from SUNY Oneonta, with a focus on minority religions. But I'm in upstate New York, so that's not really surprising. A lot of minority religions started here; Seventh-Day Adventists, the Church of Latter-Day Saints, the Shakers really became the Shakers just outside of Albany.

"So, you know, it wasn't really a big drive in my life. My father and mother grew apart and split up when I was still a toddler; that's one of the most common stories you hear. When Panorama reached out to me, I was going to turn them down because I didn't really have anything to add. That memory I just told you is the only thing I have from her; Dad god rid of anything tangible when we moved to the States."

[Question]What changed your mind?

"Well, it's nothing major. Just - well, my boyfriend is in the sciences. He's finishing up his PhD. One of the last steps for him is going on a research trip for a couple of months, which just happens to coincide with the time that Panorama wanted me to visit Aighstone. I could take them up on the offer, or stare at an empty apartment for the next month. My boyfriend said I should do it, said I'd go crazy by myself, and he's probably right.

"Then ... about the only thing I remember from Aighstone is one of my neighbors. There was a girl about my age, Caroline. We were playmates. After we moved away, we tried to keep in touch. We sent each other letters - you know, big pencil letters on big lined paper. I think I learned to write early so I could send letters to Caroline. We fell in and out of touch over the years, but she just wrote me a month ago. She'd found out about the Panorama program and asked if I was coming with it. She's still in Aighstone."
    Last edited by Quivernas; 2021-12-03 at 11:13 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

i think you mean area of expertise history. encyclopedic knowledge is a whole nother animal

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Don't worry about not knowing much about Kent- I don't know much about Surrey.

I'm leaning towards publican or former ne'er-do-well, maybe one who got caught peddling stolen goods including a few from the cult's compound. How were the deaths discovered? Did someone complain about the smell, did the police raid because they thought the cultists were growing stuff they shouldn't, did a thief break in and alert the police in horror, did someone notice the lack of movement?

30. - Top - End - #30

here's a fun one. what if you intruded on my property and i winged ya with birdshot?