New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default “He can use any feat he has except...item creation feats...”

From the description of the barbarian's rage:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.
    Has the thought “Gee, I wish my barbarian could use his item creation feats while raging!” ever crossed a player's mind in the history of 3.x?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: “He can use any feat he has except...item creation feats...”

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post

Has the thought “Gee, I wish my barbarian could use his item creation feats while raging!” ever crossed a player's mind in the history of 3.x?
    ^^

It's the other way around. They want to prevent you from using the rage as buff for crafting purposes.
    e.g. "You may not rage while crafting a sword."
    It's to prevent rage abuse outside of combat. Not to prevent crafting while fighting xD
    Sorry your interpretation makes me *rofl*
    But I can see where you are coming from. thx for the good laugh ;)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Rage as a buff for crafting purposes?
    There's not really anything to buff during magic item crafting, much less anything that Rage would help with.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2021-11-29 at 03:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Rage as a buff for crafting purposes?
    There's not really anything to buff during magic item crafting, much less anything that Rage would help with.
    Dunno, I think I've seen a few specific items with physical attribute requirements to craft (str I think). But can't really remember. Maybe it was something homebrew?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Now I kind of want to do it, just because I really like the mental image of someone carefully crafting something while screaming in incoherent rage the entire time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, crafting feats require the use of Spells, which the Barbarian doesn't have, so... I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with it. Maybe some never published draft of the crafting rules would have somehow benefited from a Raging Barbarian Crafter, and they wanted to make sure they vettoed that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

They've clearly never listened to programmers work, if they think that a gestalt Barbarian // Wizard wouldn't be raging while crafting.

I suspect it's the same in other creative industries.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe the physical manufacturing bit requires care and attention?

<smashing a half built amulet into the wall>

BECOME! MAGIC! OR! ELSE! HUAAAARRRGH!
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    I mean, crafting feats require the use of Spells, which the Barbarian doesn't have, so... I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with it. Maybe some never published draft of the crafting rules would have somehow benefited from a Raging Barbarian Crafter, and they wanted to make sure they vettoed that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I think that's kinda the point. Barbarians explicitly lose access to casting while in rage. So it makes sense that this would be a basic extrapolation of the existing rules made explicit rather than an actual attempt to foreclose on ragecrafting as a balance thing.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bag of Holding.
    How do you get 250 cuft of empty space in a 4cuft sack?

Rage and pound it in with a maul obviously.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

You all laugh, but there are real druidic avengers out there who are in pain because they can't get the extra spell penetration from Grell Alchemy while using their Rage Casting feat!

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGuy

A rage mage (CW prc) can cast and rage simultaneously. Can't see how it helps with crafting (can raise DC by 2 or quicken a spell or cast spells while under a Tenser Transformation type class ability, but rage doesn't last long enough to craft and none of these help with crafting in any way)

Maybe they imagined a crafter-type PRC with standard action magic item crafting?
    Last edited by Seward; 2021-11-29 at 05:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Maybe they imagined some “eternal rage unless you explicitly meet the co diction to end it, go unconscious, or die” ability?

Isn’t there some variant that has rage auto turn on when you are below half your max hp?

Edit: Yes there is! Berserker Strength from PHB II has the same limitations as rage. So, no crafting magic items until you have at least half your hp?
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2021-11-29 at 06:49 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The Berserking Sword could theoretically keep one in a rage long enough to craft if it weren't for this clause. Of course, that sword also dictates your behavior. I suppose not all living things are creatures, and there's that multiple mental control effects clause... so a Dominated Wizard holding a Berserking sword can't craft due to this clause, but would have a chance to do so without it?
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2021-11-29 at 08:07 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Not yet. But now that you've suggested it, I want to use, "Why can't I use my item creation feats?" as a raging battle cry

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's also probably some kind of silly thing to be done with Ilumians and Str-based bonus slots to get an extra few casts at the end of a day for the purposes of hedging in some extra bits of crafting, but that seems like a waste compared to using the rage and extra slots for just about anything else. But you'd need to be a non-prepared caster in most cases.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

It's 3.5, of course it has.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

So to sum up: for rage to be useful for item creation, there has to be 1) a magic item whose creation requires a certain STR or CON score, and 2) something that allows the barbarian to rage for 8 hours straight.

With the hindsight of a hundred different splatbooks, that combination is not out of the question, but I just can't imagine the designers considering it when writing the 3.0 Player's Handbook. I suppose they were just thinking “We'll rule out all the magical feats, regardless of whether they're relevant or not.”
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

19. - Top - End - #19

Chimera

You made me make this.

Rage Crafter

General feat

Prerequisites: Rage class ability, 1 item creation feat

You can craft a magic item using a item creation feat you possess as a standard action while raging as well as make Craft checks. To make a magic item while raging you must make a Craft check DC 10 + the items unmodified caster level, failure means half of the costly materials are wasted. Success means the item is crafted in one action as you furiously bang away at the uncompleted item in frustration. The item’s caster level also increases by 1/2 the bonus to your strength score granted by your rage, this does not effect the item’s cost.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Maybe rage and permanency could be cast on an enemy wizard or artificer to render them unable to make magic items?

Or a particularly worded geas, curse or even wish? That could be amusing, actually.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2021-12-02 at 11:43 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Maybe rage and permanency could be cast on an enemy wizard or artificer to render them unable to make magic items?

Or a particularly worded geas, curse or even wish? That could be amusing, actually.
    I've seen people cast rage offensively to prevent enemy casters from casting, but this is new.

Hm.. I'm imagining a roguish caster that works for a guild or cooperation that crafts and sells magic items. His work is to stop the work of other crafters that are not part of the cooperation. They will lose their contracts, because they can't finish the product on time. Thus turning the customers to the cooperation.^^

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    You made me make this.

Rage Crafter

General feat

Prerequisites: Rage class ability, 1 item creation feat

You can craft a magic item using a item creation feat you possess as a standard action while raging as well as make Craft checks. To make a magic item while raging you must make a Craft check DC 10 + the items unmodified caster level, failure means half of the costly materials are wasted. Success means the item is crafted in one action as you furiously bang away at the uncompleted item in frustration. The item’s caster level also increases by 1/2 the bonus to your strength score granted by your rage, this does not effect the item’s cost.
    Great feat for someone who wants to make golems (or any magic item, really). Qualifying is painful, though. Maybe a barbarian-1/Artificer-X? Can spit out items VERY quickly (even with a base con of 10, you get five rounds of range, which could be five items, regardless of their market price.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2021-12-03 at 08:29 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Qualifying is painful, though. Maybe a barbarian-1/Artificer-X?
    There aren't a lot of non-barbarian ways to get rage, but a single-classed Druidic Avenger (UA) gets both rage and spells. I'm not sure what fun items you can craft with a druid spell list, but there must be quite a few.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

The only thing that comes to mind are 3.0 Psionic classes where you prime attribute can be strength or constitution depending on discipline.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Becoming unable to use Extra Rings could hurt a little, depending on how your DM interprets "cannot use." Few barbarians would qualify, but you can use templates to cheat (Shadow template's CL15 Plane Shift SLA, for example).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

ok. I've found an Item with an attribute dependency to craft. But it's DEX.

Monkey Head Talisman from Dragon #351 (IIRC) requires combat feats as requirement to craft (Deflect Arrorow, Spring Attack, Stunning Fist). But as said it requires DEX. Do we have any items that maybe depend on Power Attack (STR) to craft?

27. - Top - End - #27

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm very disappointed that there are already 26 posts in this thread and not one person has explained a beautifully ridiculous system of loopholes and overall jankiness that this is specifically meant to block.
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    I'm very disappointed that there are already 26 posts in this thread and not one person has explained a beautifully ridiculous system of loopholes and overall jankiness that this is specifically meant to block.
    I think this is one of those rare cases where they were just trying to parallel skills and feats and be through. Not many other feats in the PHB require patience other than the also blocked Skill Focus.

Or maybe they didn't want you to use that sweet will save bonus to...IDK, sacrifice souls for xp or some junk? Get around a permanent Rage spell by crafting a scroll of remove curse? Something something negative hitpoints drowning omniscificer.

29. - Top - End - #29

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Another Handle View Post
    I think this is one of those rare cases where they were just trying to parallel skills and feats and be through. Not many other feats in the PHB require patience other than the also blocked Skill Focus.

Or maybe they didn't want you to use that sweet will save bonus to...IDK, sacrifice souls for xp or some junk? Get around a permanent Rage spell by crafting a scroll of remove curse? Something something negative hitpoints drowning omniscificer.
    Yeah, I've just learned over the years that if you stumble across a bizarrely specific rule or errata item, it's there because somebody did it. I'm just not familiar with the specifics of the normal item crafting rules because I don't care for the fact that it costs XP and always try to find alternative ways to pay the piper when I DM (with varying degrees of success). That implies that every magic item crafter has a Murder Dungeon he goes down into and slays some kobolds or something whenever you order a ring of protection or something, since combat is the most reliable source of XP.
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2021-12-05 at 09:55 AM.
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Now I kind of want to do it, just because I really like the mental image of someone carefully crafting something while screaming in incoherent rage the entire time.
    I mean that's how I make most things...
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.