New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Summon Beast

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Summon Beast

I'm playing a Druid and I'm approaching 3rd level and the opportunity to cast Summon Beast. By the book, our DM does not care about components but cares about gp costs. So I'm looking at: "a feather, tuft of fur, and fish tail inside a gilded acorn worth at least 200 gp".

Now in basic terms, I just need to get the 200gp and gather the rest with a bit of roleplay. For bonus points, our Artificer has the skills to gild an acorn so it would be fun to involve that character.

My questions is this: How the frak do you get a feather, a tuft of fur and a fish tail inside an acorn? How big is this ****ing acorn anyway? They're tiny! And not known for containing more than two seeds. How small is this fish tail?

Also, most acorns are not known as resealable containers. Do I need Druidcraft to "open a seed pod" and then maybe close it again?

(NB: Yes, I am fully aware that I am overthinking this. However, I am having fun doing so.)
    Last edited by MrDaniel; 2021-11-29 at 02:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Summon Beast

I always just assumed it meant inside the gilding, so like it’s all gilded together like a terrible paperweight.

Enjoy the beasts of land sea and air regardless. As my father always said, “If you can put a ship in a bottle you can put a fish in an acorn.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

While gilding the components onto the acorn is a possible work around if your DM is cool with it, it’s worth noting that some fish are tiny, especially freshwater fish.
    Have fun, stay sane, enjoy the madness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrDaniel View Post
    "a feather, tuft of fur, and fish tail inside a gilded acorn worth at least 200 gp".
    [snip]

My questions is this: How the frak do you get a feather, a tuft of fur and a fish tail inside an acorn? How big is this ****ing acorn anyway? They're tiny! And not known for containing more than two seeds. How small is this fish tail?
    So just overthinking this a little myself, it does not say those items have to be in their original form. So dry them out and crush them into powder? Or burn them down to ash? or grind them to paste? Then fill the acorn like a deviled egg? Just a crazy thought.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

fish can be big or small. simply choose a small fish. likewise, feathers can be very small. choose a small feather. you don't even have to choose a flight feather after all; the tiny little floofs that cover most of a bird's body will work just fine, as written.

as for keeping the acorn intact, have you considered that if you saw an acorn open there is only one break, making it suitable for mending? so, you simply saw the acorn open, put the bits inside, mend it, and then gild it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Minnow.
    Guppy.
    Both are fish.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Ask whoever is responsible for stuffing Cinderella's dresses inside an acorn (or nuts, depending on version).
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Well you're a Druid, so get talking to an oak tree or Animate it and get it to "consume" the tuft, feather and tail by growing the acorn around them on a new bud, compressing the essence of the beasts of land, air and water into the living potential of the oaks' seed. While it does this, water the oak regularly with a gold solution, preferably from a natural source such as a gold-rich panning creek, giving the tree the additional materials needed to incorporate the precious metal into the shell of the acorn, forgoing the requirement to have it gilded independently and unnaturally by some inventive artificier or craftsperson.

When you're done using the acorn as a spellcasting component, cast Awaken on it before planting it in your Druid Grove to grow yourself a Golden Treant Guardian over the next hundred years or two.
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2021-11-29 at 07:27 PM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

These components should be gotten into the hands of the player by the DM.
    Mention it, and look for druids to punk on the road for their components.

For your situation, try finding the sharpest blade in your party and use it to slice it open, hollow it out, and cram em in there. Find the beegest acorn and/or the smallest fish. You're a druid, maybe you can befriend a fey or coax a tree to bear a grand miracle of a slightly larger acorn if you aide it in some way. I guess there's a question if it's Gold Foil or a Gold Acorn.. Regardless, all the Tasha's components for these summon spells have something inside something else. Anyone else in your party looking at these spells later on? My one player gave me basically a year heads up on the spells they wanted at later levels and they got them all by exploring and looting carefully, and not always all together at once.
    Last edited by PattThe; 2021-12-01 at 12:28 AM.
    @Patt

Spoiler: Bleep bloop!
    Show
    "People are ideas." :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling-wordpress-com

T_P_T