Borrowed Knowledge
    Barb, Cleric, Warlock, Wizard
    1 Action
    Second Level Divination
    Range: Self
    Duration: One hour
    (NOT Concentration)
    Components: A book worth at least 25gp

Choose one skill you do not have proficiency in. You have proficiency for the duration.

---

Kinetic Jaunt
    Artificer, Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard
    1 Bonus Action
    Second Level Transmutation
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
    Components: S

+10 walking speed, you don't provoke opportunity attacks, move through creatures space and it's not difficult terrain. Take 1d8 force and be moved to an unoccupied space if you stop in another creatures space

---

Silvery Barbs
    Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard
    First level Enchantment
    1 Reaction*
    Range: 60ft
    Components: V

When a creature within range succeeds on an attack roll, skill check or saving throw, the triggering creature must reroll the d20 and use the lower result.
    Then choose another creature within range. The chosen creature has advantage on the next attack roll, skill check or saving throw it makes.
    *Notice this doesn't say it imposes Disadvantage. It specifically doesn't use that wording. Interesting.

---

Vortex Warp
    Second Level Conjuration
    1 Action
    Range 90ft
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Components: V, S

The chosen creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (it can choose to fail) or be teleported to another point you can see within range, which must be in a liquid that or on a surface that can support the creature.*

*No teleporting them into the sky for fall damage.

---

Wither and Bloom
    Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard
    Second Level Necromancy
    1 Action
    Range 60ft
    Components: V, S, M (a withered vine twisted into a loop)

Each creature of your choice in a 10ft radius within range must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 2d6 Necrotic damage (half if successful).
    In addition, one creature of your choice in that area may choose to spend one hit die, and regain HP equal to the roll plus your spellcasting ability modifier.
    At Higher Levels: For each slot above Second, plus 1d6 Necrotic and one additional hit die
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2021-11-29 at 08:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: New Spells in Strixhaven

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post

Silvery Barbs
    Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock
    1 Reaction*
    Range: 60ft

When a creature within range succeeds on an attack roll, skill check or saving throw, the triggering creature must reroll the d20 and use the lower result.
    Then choose another creature within range. The chosen creature has advantage on the next attack roll, skill check or saving throw it makes.
    *Notice this doesn't say it imposes Disadvantage. It specifically doesn't use that wording. Interesting.
    This is almost certainly because its a reaction based on a success on an attack or other D20 roll. (Dis)advantage is imposed before the roll happens.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Wither and Bloom is super interesting to me because of how it pairs with a particular Sorcerer magic item:

The Bloodwell Vial, introduced in Tasha's.
    Varying rarity with it increasing the spell save DC accordingly, like several items that Tasha's introduced.

However, it has another effect: Once per long rest, when you spend a hit die, you regain 5 Sorcery points.

Vortex Warp is amazing to get a squishy out of harms way, or to get an enemy away from you. Not to mention it's uses regarding positioning and scouting. Big fan of this one.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2021-11-29 at 08:51 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Wither and Bloom is super interesting to me because of how it pairs with a particular Sorcerer magic item:

The Bloodwell Vial, introduced in Tasha's.
    Varying rarity with it increasing the spell save DC accordingly, like several items that Tasha's introduced.

However, it has another effect: Once per long rest, when you spend a hit die, you regain 5 Sorcery points.

Vortex Warp is amazing to get a squishy out of harms way, or to get an enemy away from you. Not to mention it's uses regarding positioning and scouting. Big fan of this one.
    Another thing of Note for Vortex Warp is that, unless i'm mistaken on how this wording works.. I think there's nothing stopping you from declaring yourself as the target creature. if i'm right this is a really solid teleportation effect that almost edges out Misty Step and certainly beats Dimension Door in terms of in combat use simply due to the sheer versatility of it.

Speaking of Misty Step, i find it interesting they put Silver Barbs in the Enchantment School, I think it may now be the default choice for anyone who wants to take Fey Touched for the +1 Int. Assuming your DM allows access to these spells of course. (or if WotC prints them in a future core book)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Silvery Barbs aka "Unlucky". Seems very strong, especially from a 1st level spell slot. I also love that it's not on the wizard list? Sorc+Bard only. Plus one.

Wither and Bloom is, I believe, the first spell that uses hit dice expenditure, and the first non-rest HD spend since the dwarf racial feat? Not sure if going to see more of those in the future. As written it doesn't seem like the healing adds the ConMod to the roll, replacing it with your spellcasting mod instead of adding to it.

Vortex Warp is excellent for shenanigans. Not great on its own but there's a number of good combos it can add to.

Kinetic Jaunt's closest analogue in my mind is misty step, they're different but fulfill similar niche's. Also comparable to Ashardalon's Stride from Fizban's. Not amazing, but it'll have its uses.

Borrowed Knowledge seems fine, similar to Enhance Ability but not concentration, so you can combo the two if you so wish. Won't see a huge amount of use but proper prep/knowledge will definitely see it come into play - especially in 'social' encounters.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slider Eclipse View Post
    Another thing of Note for Vortex Warp is that, unless i'm mistaken on how this wording works.. I think there's nothing stopping you from declaring yourself as the target creature. if i'm right this is a really solid teleportation effect that almost edges out Misty Step and certainly beats Dimension Door in terms of in combat use simply due to the sheer versatility of it.
    The actual wording mentions "another creature", so you can't teleport yourself.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Odd that Kinetic Jaunt allows intersection with creatures but not objects. Ah well. Now that you point it out, that item synergy with the Vial IS pretty cool. Vortex looks fun. Barbs is boring, but practical. All in all, eh. Decent batch.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Interesting mix though no idea why artificer don't get the knowledge one. Nothing stands out as out of the curve one way or the other. Silvery Barb is CS bait galore.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2021-11-29 at 11:51 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

MonkGirl

Do we know levels? Components?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Do we know levels? Components?
    Levels and spell schools are all currently listed in the OP.

I will update it momentarily to include components.

EDIT: Components have been added.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2021-11-29 at 12:13 PM.
    Avatar courteously cleaned up by thoroughlyS

11. - Top - End - #11

Barbs is a borderline game breaking spell and I recommend that you ban this at your table. For what will be obvious reasons..

Wither and Bloom is meh.

Vortex is really fun and powerful, but it definitely steps on the toes of other spells like dimension door a bit too much. Still, very strong and my favorite spell of the bunch

Kinetic Jaunt, seems ok. I can’t see any broken interaction. It seems on the weaker side. Just cast the Fizban spell instead at the next lvl.

Borrowed knowledge is IMO bad design. It will rarely be prepared unless the party is short on skill monkeys, so instead its primary effect serves as basically giving proficiency to all wizards in every skill in their downtime, which seems like an odd choice…

12. - Top - End - #12

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Silvery Barbs aka "Unlucky". Seems very strong, especially from a 1st level spell slot. I also love that it's not on the wizard list? Sorc+Bard only.
    I'm fairly sure it's a Wizard spell.

13. - Top - End - #13

Vortex Warp
    Second Level Conjuration
    1 Action
    Range 90ft
    Components: V, S

The chosen creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (it can choose to fail) or be teleported to another point you can see within range, which must be in a liquid that or on a surface that can support the creature.*

*No teleporting them into the sky for fall damage.
    I really like this spell. I could see it being used for some fun things.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingRogueGuy

Warp should be a 3rd level spell and Barbs is crazy strong for its level. Wither and Bloom is fine, I don't have many issues with Borrowed Knowledge, and Kinetic Jaunt steps a bit in the toes of Longstrider and Freedom of Movement, but takes Concentration for a shorter period of time so it probably balances out.

Barbs is insane though. No saving throw either, it just happens.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark.Revenant View Post
    I'm fairly sure it's a Wizard spell.
    Wasn't noted as one in the OP but it does seem that way from further poking around.

A shame.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Some great new spells there. With every book casters creep just that little bit more, but i cant help but be excited.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Some great new spells there. With every book casters creep just that little bit more, but i cant help but be excited.
    Aye. I was pondering on that as well. OTOH the last 2 books have included some much needed non spell based stuff to play with so I'm tentatively hopeful they won't just completely make anything not spell based obsolete.

Vortex is compatible with SSI lol. Hello familiar spamming teleport.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2021-11-29 at 04:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

First observation: Clerics got almost nothing once again
    Second observation: Silvery Barbs on my Aberrant Mind Sorc. This is going to be fun.

19. - Top - End - #19

I have read a few places that Strixhaven is set in a specific setting that seems to have a higher power level than a normal D&D setting (MTG). Do the majority here agree or is this just an excuse for the power creep?
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    I have read a few places that Strixhaven is set in a specific setting that seems to have a higher power level than a normal D&D setting (MTG). Do the majority here agree or is this just an excuse for the power creep?
    Compared to the background the spells are nothing as far as power creep is concerned. The strongest one is based on a reaction which is pretty crowded for most casters to begin with. If they for printed and Tasha's they would probably about on par.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

These spells are a big boost to bards. They overlap some for wizards and sorcerers, but they overlap with spells that bards don't get, so it's a straight boost to bards.

Silvery Barbs is better than shield since it eliminates a critical hit and you use it after the hit not after the roll. Plus it can be used offensively and wizards don't even get it. But since bards don't have shield or absorb elements, this gives them a low-level defensive reaction spell that they didn't have, so it is a bigger boost for them than for sorcerers.

Same for Vortex Warp. For a wizard or sorcerer, I'd be torn between using a prepared spell on either this or misty step, but since bards don't get misty step, this is a big boost for them.

Finally, for a wizard or sorcerer, Kinetic Jaunt is the middle spell between expeditious retreat and Ashardalon's stride, but Bards don't get either of those spells so this one fills a roll that they couldn't fill before.

I would almost certainly take the first two and maybe all 3 of these spells on a bard.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-11-30 at 06:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Silvery barbs is definitely available for wizards (there's a typo in the OP), and indeed all casters b/c anyone can get access to it via fey touched.

So getting advantage to initiative or an advantage to a save is a pretty big deal, and would be worth a 1st round spell (especially since its only a reaction). But getting Chronal shift on top of that is crazy. I mean getting access to one of the best features in the game which was only balanced by the 2 per long rest limit with a plentiful resource like spell slots (or sorcery points for AM) is frankly insane. This drastically alters a tables risk profile (and rerolls were already beginning to be a problem with all the bard abilities and features like portent etc)

There is also some talk about whether or not this means you can turn an enemy's roll with advantage into a normal roll (i'll leave that up to rule lawyers).

Yikes!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Wasn't noted as one in the OP but it does seem that way from further poking around.

A shame.
    It's technically a spell anyone can use as it qualifies for Fae Touched as a First Level Enchantment spell. Even better that means that taking it with Fae Touched means everyone can use it once per long rest without spending a spell slot. I can legit see it replacing Hunter's Mark/Hex as the new Default spell to pick.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Corrected the typo in Silvery Barbs, it is for Wizards. What the hell did I write which got autocorrected to Points. ?

Anyways....

Strixhaven is very much a high magic setting.

I will say, I like the Fizban's spells a little more than the Strixhaven selection. But both are fairly solid. Obviously one is more utility exploration oriented, while the other is more combat oriented. I find it curious that it was divided up in such a way like that.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Are these legal for usage in AL play?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdead View Post
    First observation: Clerics got almost nothing once again
    My guess is that Strixhaven is much closer to what would be considered arcane magic in D&D, and thus classes that get spells from outside sources don't get the spells that each school has specifically developed.

I'm much more surprised at warlock only getting one of them. I guess you could use the same reasoning and apply it to patrons, but there is one warlock spell among them. And with a setting that has Liliana Vess play an important part I'd expect some more love in that regard; Liliana and pacts go a long way back.

Yet warlock only gets borrowed knowledge. Which, on top of being pretty meh, adds insult to injury because it doesn't scale with upcasting. It's already debatable whether the spell is worth its level in the first place; a warlock spending one of their few spells known to cast it with auto-upcasting Pact Magic slots? Yeah, I don't see it happening a lot.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Borrowed Knowledge
    Barb, Cleric, Warlock, Wizard
    1 Action
    Second Level Divination
    Range: Self
    Duration: One hour
    (NOT Concentration)
    Components: A book worth at least 25gp

Choose one skill you do not have proficiency in. You have proficiency for the duration.
    Is this one ritual or not?
    Would be nice if it is xD

And does it work on tool proficiency's?
    Life before death.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaBarr View Post
    Is this one ritual or not?
    Would be nice if it is xD

And does it work on tool proficiency's?
    No and no. Sorry!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silvery Barbs is really great, probably the 2nd best lv1 spell now.
    Casters could abandon shield now, only prepare Silvery Barbs and AE

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I would also be more enthused if more than just one of them scaled with higher slots
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika