New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default WOTC 5e PHB spells survey

It's pretty long, about 200 spells in alphabetical order.

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6620080/spells

Not sure how I beat jaappleton to posting this.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: WOTC 5e PHB spells survey

Note: it doesn't cover every spell. And is really boring--just a "how satisfied (basic 1-5 scale) are you with <spell>" and then a "have you used <spell> as a DM, player, or not at all (checkboxes)".

I did leave a comment at the end explaining why I was strongly dissatisfied with some spells in particular.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but it generates a lot of data.
    I suspect they're going to use it to identify spells that have a huge dissatisfaction rate (like Barkskin, Weird, or the "Conjure X HD of trash") for revision.
    Last edited by J-H; 2021-11-29 at 06:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I suspect they're going to use it to identify spells that have a huge dissatisfaction rate (like Barkskin, Weird, or the "Conjure X HD of trash") for revision.
    Yeah. Not coincidentally, those were ones I marked as being very dissatisfied with (among a few others like True Strike and Witch Bolt).
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Yeah. Not coincidentally, those were ones I marked as being very dissatisfied with (among a few others like True Strike and Witch Bolt).
    Did you write witch bolt in, it didn't show up for me.

I really should have written it in, it's terrible.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I don't think I even got those spells on my survey.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

It seems that there was some randomization going on. Not the worst idea since it asks you if you want to continue rating spells and you can choose what you want to rate, so some trends may emerge. I'm sure I didn't get Witch Bolt too and I also didn't get Lightning Bolt that I wanted to rate way below Fireball. Pretty sure I got all the Conjure X spells though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdead View Post
    It seems that there was some randomization going on. Not the worst idea since it asks you if you want to continue rating spells and you can choose what you want to rate, so some trends may emerge. I'm sure I didn't get Witch Bolt too and I also didn't get Lightning Bolt that I wanted to rate way below Fireball. Pretty sure I got all the Conjure X spells though.
    Seconded, I also had to write in Witch Bolt. They skipped over the whole Conjure X section though, and I didn't have the space to add them all.

Kind of glad they didn't want us to rate the whole PHB though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

In truth, I wonder what they will learn from this. The list felt somewhat random to me, but then maybe I just missed the link between all of them.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

10. - Top - End - #10

Interesting. It went from 53% to 100% as soon as I entered my demographics. Hmmm....

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    Interesting. It went from 53% to 100% as soon as I entered my demographics. Hmmm....
    Interesting message that.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Same, I wonder which demographics get which extra questions.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Only one way to figure it out...

Everyone divulge your demographics, and don't forget your last 4 SSN and mother's maiden name!

PSA- Don't do this.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Oh boy, another big long one. I hope this one allows for me to tell them to stop asking for me to spend over an hour on a questionnaire.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

My comments were:
    True Strike is useless.
    Witch Bolt is effectively useless.
    Guidance is a pain in the ass for novice DMs.
    Healing Touch and Cure wounds either need their ranges switched or their action types switched.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Most of their surveys seem to do that.

17. - Top - End - #17

PirateGuy

I know a lot of people will gravitate towards talking about ones they don't like for being underpowered, but I focused on those I dislike for seeming too strong. Personally, I think the biggest offenders are things that break standard action economy. Magic may be able to "break the rule" in universe, but it should not break the basic rule assumptions of the game. If each character is only supposed to get one action and one bonus action, spells should not be a way around that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jas61292 View Post
    I know a lot of people will gravitate towards talking about ones they don't like for being underpowered, but I focused on those I dislike for seeming too strong. Personally, I think the biggest offenders are things that break standard action economy. Magic may be able to "break the rule" in universe, but it should not break the basic rule assumptions of the game. If each character is only supposed to get one action and one bonus action, spells should not be a way around that.
    Simulacrum and Conjure Woodland Beings (would have put them all in given the space) were easy choices for "very dissatisfied" because of the way they can completely throw balance out the window. It's one of the very few actual restrictions our DM has for our party Sorcerer, even if he's not an optimized character having two (or more) of him would be an incredibly significant increase in our parties ability.

In hindsight I wish I'd saved this survey for a time where I wasn't under a time constraint, something I feel very strongly about that I neglected to bring up is that a lot of my dissatisfied options were because the spell might have been interesting or useful but had a much too specific use case. I'd really like an expanded system that bundles similar effects like Blindness/Deafness and Enlarge/Reduce
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2021-11-30 at 12:03 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

I really wish they'd make "Dissatisfied/Satisfied in X" like two scales: Power (separate too strong and too weak) and usability. E.g. Animate Dead and Conjure Animals are way too strong and unwieldy while Fireball is merely too strong compared to options and Witch Bolt, Find Traps and such are simply way too weak.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    My comments were:
    True Strike is useless.
    Witch Bolt is effectively useless.
    Guidance is a pain in the ass for novice DMs.
    Healing Touch and Cure wounds either need their ranges switched or their action types switched.
    Wait... Why the last two?

You think Cure Wounds should be either 30ft range or a BA to cast? Isn't the BA why Healing Word only heals 1d4?

Or... No, I see it now. HW is too good, so it should be nerfed by action or range, while CW should be buffed the other way, making both acceptable choices. Right?

21. - Top - End - #21

Devil

Seriously, I rated both Simulacrum and the Conjure line fairly high. The way I see it, if we rate it low, it will either be buffed or we will get something similar with a PB scaling. For me usable = high satisfaction, not usable = low satisfaction.

Or to put it more accurately: It's good if it does what it is supposed to do and it's bad if it tries and fails.
    Last edited by Gtdead; 2021-11-30 at 04:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Still maintain if they really want people to take these surveys they need to be a lot shorter
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Still maintain if they really want people to take these surveys they need to be a lot shorter
    And better organized. This seemed like a lazy mess to me.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    And better organized. This seemed like a lazy mess to me.
    Yes, that was the feeling I got also.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

anyone else putting shade on grasping vine? It just seems so bad.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I really wish they'd make "Dissatisfied/Satisfied in X" like two scales: Power (separate too strong and too weak) and usability. E.g. Animate Dead and Conjure Animals are way too strong and unwieldy while Fireball is merely too strong compared to options and Witch Bolt, Find Traps and such are simply way too weak.
    What bothers me about a Dis(satisfied) scale is it doesn't indicate why. Some spells (and class features and feats) I'm dissatisfied because they are overpowered, other because they are underpowered. And the latter can be because they need a buff in direct power numbers, or because they're awkward or even just effectively impossible to use.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnirbear View Post
    Wait... Why the last two?

You think Cure Wounds should be either 30ft range or a BA to cast? Isn't the BA why Healing Word only heals 1d4?

Or... No, I see it now. HW is too good, so it should be nerfed by action or range, while CW should be buffed the other way, making both acceptable choices. Right?
    Exactly; pop-up healing being so favourable in 5e makes the paltry difference in healing often meaningless... while the action economy and range aspects will easily be waaaaaay more relevant.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I hit my main hates.

Flamestrike, Prismatic Wall, Ice storm, and Forcecage.

I really really don't like forcecage.
    I am BoutsofInsanity and my name isn't a metaphor.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Flaming Sphere, you can walk right through it no issues, but if it bumps into you it causes damage.
    Now this really pisses me off to no end!