New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Benefits from having an odd score in a stat

Besides the requisite 13 needed to multiclass, do any stats gain a benefit from having an odd score? Because I realized one tonight-

STR- each point increase adds 15 pounds to your character's carrying capacity (say that three times fast).

Do any other stats gain a benefit for being odd?
    Last edited by Foolwise; 2021-11-30 at 11:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Benefits from having an odd score in a stat

Armor STR requirements are also odd.

3. - Top - End - #3

PirateGuy

While its not a specific benefit for an odd number, Intellect Devourers ability to devourer your intellect is a roll against your Intelligence score, so every point, both odd or even, is a defense against it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

There are a few feats that require 13 in a stat. Examples include Skulker and Defensive Duelist (Dexterity), Inspiring Leader (Charisma), and Ritual Caster (Intelligence or Wisdom).

As far as I know that only applies to 13 specifically, and there's not a more general benefit there. But a character might benefit from some of the feats without strictly needing further investment.
    Avatar by me. Behold my art thread for a bigger-resolution view.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Here's a handy list of a few more cases: https://www.enworld.org/threads/what...-in-5e.629332/

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

You need a 13 in {stat} to be eligible for a multiclass that keys on that stat or stats. For example, you need 13 Dex and Wis to multiclass Ranger, even if you don't plan on using your Wis score for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

1 out of 6 stats has any kind of benefits for this anymore, and that's STR.

I think it's really bad design. IMHO, even in a fairly simplified game such as 5e, if you're going to have scores range between 3 and 18 (or 8 and 15) before individual adjustments, you should make it more meaningful, even if only slightly, to have an odd score in any ability.

In a past edition having an odd score in one of the mental abilities at least meant whether you could cast spells of specific spell level (e.g. 10 for cantrips a.k.a. 0-level spells, 11 for 1st-level, 12 for 2nd, 13 for 3rd, and so on). It's not much, but it's something.

I mean, sure, there are feats that have a requirement of minimum 13 in a score, but feats are an optional rule, and therefore it might not matter in a bare-bones game with nothing but the mandatory rules.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-12-01 at 01:21 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    I think it's really bad design. IMHO, even in a fairly simplified game such as 5e, if you're going to have scores range between 3 and 18 (or 8 and 15) before individual adjustments, you should make it more meaningful, even if only slightly, to have an odd score in any ability.
    My personal opinion is that much greater weight should be given to the differences between ability scores anyway, let alone just the odd scores. Offering a meagre +1 for every two point is criminally insignificant. If "elven grace" or "dwarven fortitude" is going to mean anything, then the difference in a couple of edge cases or the odd HP or two is hardly giving me the fantasy of playing a race that is superhumanly agile or tough as a rock. Readjusting racial ASI's doesn't really cut it either; the problem lies in the baseline system that doesn't give enough weight to the difference in Ability Scores. Just my opinion.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    My personal opinion is that much greater weight should be given to the differences between ability scores anyway, let alone just the odd scores. Offering a meagre +1 for every two point is criminally insignificant. If "elven grace" or "dwarven fortitude" is going to mean anything, then the difference in a couple of edge cases or the odd HP or two is hardly giving me the fantasy of playing a race that is superhumanly agile or tough as a rock. Readjusting racial ASI's doesn't really cut it either; the problem lies in the baseline system that doesn't give enough weight to the difference in Ability Scores. Just my opinion.
    Agreed. Though, I must admit I can somewhat understand why it's not +1 (or -1) for every point of score above (or below) 10. If it was at a 1:1 ratio, bonuses would go sky-high, and that's probably not what the designers want to happen. Although, one could make an argument that proficiency bonus would need to change one way or another (maybe even be removed entirely!?)
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Gives you an incentive to take a half feat. Feels crummy to go from 18 to 19, going from 17 to 18 feels amazing.

But I also agree that it's bad design. 13 strength characters should be better at athletics than 12 strength characters, but they aren't.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Gives you an incentive to take a half feat. Feels crummy to go from 18 to 19, going from 17 to 18 feels amazing.

But I also agree that it's bad design. 13 strength characters should be better at athletics than 12 strength characters, but they aren't.
    What happens to said incentive when feats are not available (as an optional rule, it is a fair possibility) is worth considering, especially from the design perspective.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-12-01 at 10:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    I don't know how often it would come up, but you could use the ability score to break opposed-roll ties when the modifiers are the same.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

My group uses that for initiative tiebreakers, so add one benefit for odd DEX scores.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Yeah initiative is really the only situation where this could reliably come up since it's an ordered group contested ability check.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foolwise View Post
    STR- each point increase adds 15 pounds to your character's carrying capacity (say that three times fast).

Do any other stats gain a benefit for being odd?
    This is a pretty tricky rule, since it's overridden by the fact that characters carry whatever they want without checking their carrying capacity.

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    What happens to said incentive when feats are not available (as an optional rule, it is a fair possibility) is worth considering, especially from the design perspective.
    You can still use your ASI to do +1 to two stats, instead of +2 to a single stat. Not the best thing, but if you have two odd ability scores it is a nice boost in power.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

I knew of a group that made your saving throw modifier go up on the odd ability score. So +1 at 11 +2 at 13 and so on, whereas your attack modifier remained at going up on the even. It makes the odd score more meaningful. I haven't been able to try it at my table because we all use DnD Beyond and it's 'too much bookkeeping man' but maybe one day.

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfWarriorGuy

15 Strength specifically is a valuable benchmark because it allows you to long-jump over 15-foot gaps, no check required. This matters because the game generally incentives designing environments in neat 5-foot square units, and thus it's likely that the ability to jump 15 rather than 14 feet is significant.
    The desire to appear clever often impedes actually being so.

What makes the vanity of others offensive is the fact that it wounds our own.

Quarrels don't last long if the fault is only on one side.

Nothing is given so generously as advice.

We hardly ever find anyone of good sense, except those who agree with us.

-Francois, Duc de La Rochefoucauld

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

All the heavy armors with strength requirements to avoid the penalties require odd numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    You can still use your ASI to do +1 to two stats, instead of +2 to a single stat. Not the best thing, but if you have two odd ability scores it is a nice boost in power.
    Mhm. Yes, I'm aware. FWIW, I've both DM'd and played this edition since its release, and consider myself fairly knowledgeable in its intricacies.

To my defense, I wasn't asking a question, but making a statement.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-12-02 at 02:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Catullus64 View Post
    15 Strength specifically is a valuable benchmark because it allows you to long-jump over 15-foot gaps, no check required. This matters because the game generally incentives designing environments in neat 5-foot square units, and thus it's likely that the ability to jump 15 rather than 14 feet is significant.
    Hmm; counterpoint. To jump a 15ft pit would require 16 Stt at least to accomodate launch and landing distance. After all, feet have width (or length, depending on how you view it).
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wookietek View Post
    I knew of a group that made your saving throw modifier go up on the odd ability score. So +1 at 11 +2 at 13 and so on, whereas your attack modifier remained at going up on the even. It makes the odd score more meaningful. I haven't been able to try it at my table because we all use DnD Beyond and it's 'too much bookkeeping man' but maybe one day.
    I've talked to a number of folks who have seen that house rule but have not played at a table with it yet. Seems an interesting idea ... but does this work for monsters too?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I've talked to a number of folks who have seen that house rule but have not played at a table with it yet. Seems an interesting idea ... but does this work for monsters too?
    At worst it would make monsters weaker by decreasing their relevant saves. The stat blocks are all based on even numbers, so any even number stat would be -1 to save. For example if it has 12 str, it would have +1 hit and damage but not a +1 to saves, which needs 13. If it needs 11 instead for +1 it’s stronger not weaker as any odd number stat grants a +1 to saves from its stat block, rather than removing it for an even number.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Rather niche example, but it's relevant in a game I'm currently in: Linguist.
    You can ably create written ciphers. Others can't decipher a code you create unless you teach them, they succeed on an Intelligence check (DC equal to your Intelligence score + your proficiency bonus), or they use magic to decipher it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmm; counterpoint. To jump a 15ft pit would require 16 Stt at least to accomodate launch and landing distance. After all, feet have width (or length, depending on how you view it).
    Making a jump over a given distance is measured by successful completion of clearing that distance. Like long jump being measured at the heels.

Unless you were being sarcastic in which case woosh. Lol

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by yellowrocket View Post
    Making a jump over a given distance is measured by successful completion of clearing that distance. Like long jump being measured at the heels.

Unless you were being sarcastic in which case woosh. Lol
    I'd also note that long jumpers fall over when they clear a distance. Not a useful resolution when instead of a sand-pit, you're jumping over a pit-pit! It is, of course, up to your GM how they adjudicate "clearing" a distance.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'd also note that long jumpers fall over when they clear a distance. Not a useful resolution when instead of a sand-pit, you're jumping over a pit-pit! It is, of course, up to your GM how they adjudicate "clearing" a distance.
    Ideally they would do so in the spirit of how it's written in the book, where it states you can clear 1 foot for every point of strength you have.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!