New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Level 20 Characters/Silly One-Shot

Hello! I am overwhelmed by choices and frozen with indecision, so I hope you don't mind a "what would you do?"

My current DM is planning a silly, irreverent "Save Christmas!" One-Shot in a couple of weeks. I'm not 100% sure, but he's talked about wanting to run a level 20 session for giggles, so we might be doing that. Haven't heard it confirmed yet, but naturally I'm already plotting.

On the one hand, I could just boost my current character (a level 7 ranger/paladin) to 20 for a day. But on the other hand... I could play something new??? But there are so many options! I enjoy playing everything but bards and barbarians (also do not enjoy bardbarians) but this is no longer about me.

If you were going to play in a silly Christmas level 20 One-Shot, what would you play?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Level 20 Characters/Silly One-Shot

I would play a character that is Christmas related personally.

1) Santa himself - Level 20 Divination Wizard (he see you when you are sleeping and knows when your awake)
    2) The Grinch - Level 20 Thief Rogue
    3) Heat Miser - Fire Draconic Sorcerer, or Wildfire Druid
    4) Jack Frost - Cold based caster
    5) Krampus - Tiefling Oath of Vengeance Paladin

Those are what I can think of at the moment. I think I would go with a Krampus type Character, absolutely frightening to those who misbehave.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lana.Lynne View Post
    If you were going to play in a silly Christmas level 20 One-Shot, what would you play?
    Helpful Elf
    Mercy Monk 11, Light Cleric 9, run around (almost or) naked alternately smacking or healing NPCs and monsters, and lighting things up with light, continual light, or setting them on fire!
    Wear a Christmas Elf Hat, not a mask.
    Scrooge
    Level 20 Whispers Bard or Level 20 Grave Cleric.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-12-02 at 09:34 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Jack Skellington

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Jack Skellington
    I thought about him, but how would you make Jack Skellington? Same thing with Yukon Cornelious and Hermie.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh man I hadn't considered an actual Christmas related character. Silly of me.

What about a fairy artificer? I've never played artificer, so I don't know if anything dual classes with it well - I'll have to do some research!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lana.Lynne View Post
    Oh man I hadn't considered an actual Christmas related character. Silly of me.

What about a fairy artificer? I've never played artificer, so I don't know if anything dual classes with it well - I'll have to do some research!
    A fairy artificer would make a tremendous Elf. And a level 20 artificer gets some pretty incredible saves with their capstone.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2021-12-02 at 11:10 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    I thought about him, but how would you make Jack Skellington?
    Reborn Bard/Rogue multiclass that uses a whip. SOUL ROBBER!
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Yukon Cornelius is a ranger, probably a beast master (he eventually tames the Bumble).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

On this level? Level 20 Illusionist! It's just so much fun I can never not recommend it. Plus it works superbly as any "imagine things real" character, like how Xmas Elves (play a Gnome) could work or some auxiliary dreamer characters. How efficient you want to be is up to you but with permanent no-concentration Major Images, Mirage Arcana and even Wish-Mirage Arcana (or Shapechange > Kirin > infinite free Major Images to toy around with) plus Illusory Reality + Malleable Illusions, your imagination is the limit for what you want to do!

IMHO far as FUN, nothing else in the game is even a distant second.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

I thought about him, but how would you make Jack Skellington? Same thing with Yukon Cornelious and Hermie.
    Jack Skellington:
    Reborn Bard 20.
    - Gifted in all the areas of Halloweentown, but he isn't an expert in any one area.
    - Can do the scientific method, but he doesn't have the same background in science that's necessary to raise the dead.
    - A literal performer
    - Has impersonated Sandy Claws.
    - Sings constantly.

Yukon Cornelius:
    Send me the hate, but I'm gonna go with strength based Beast Master Ranger who uses the Thrown Weapon fighting style.
    - Tames a yeti for his animal companion, but also has 5 sled dogs. Alternatively, use Hermie as the animal companion.
    - Has expertise in Athletics for grappling and lifting stuff.
    - Ignores elemental hazards in his chosen terrain
    - Uncanny senses
    - Has a favored enemy (the yeti)

Hermie
    Guild Artisan Elf Life Cleric.
    - Guild artisan background; he's a failed toymaker.
    - Elf: He's an elf. Deal with it.
    - Life Cleric: He wants to be a dentist and as such wants to use his power for good.

That's all I've got for now.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In a mountain after a cave-in.

MY STATS OFF THE ELITE ARRAY:
    Str: 14 Dex: 8 Con: 12 Int: 15 Wis: 10 Cha: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    I wish I had you for a DM...
    Please critique my 5e Beguiler Wizard subclass!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...izard-Subclass

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreyBlack View Post
    Jack Skellington:
    Reborn Bard 20.
    - Gifted in all the areas of Halloweentown, but he isn't an expert in any one area.
    - Can do the scientific method, but he doesn't have the same background in science that's necessary to raise the dead.
    - A literal performer
    - Has impersonated Sandy Claws.
    - Sings constantly.

Yukon Cornelius:
    Send me the hate, but I'm gonna go with strength based Beast Master Ranger who uses the Thrown Weapon fighting style.
    - Tames a yeti for his animal companion, but also has 5 sled dogs. Alternatively, use Hermie as the animal companion.
    - Has expertise in Athletics for grappling and lifting stuff.
    - Ignores elemental hazards in his chosen terrain
    - Uncanny senses
    - Has a favored enemy (the yeti)

Hermie
    Guild Artisan Elf Life Cleric.
    - Guild artisan background; he's a failed toymaker.
    - Elf: He's an elf. Deal with it.
    - Life Cleric: He wants to be a dentist and as such wants to use his power for good.

That's all I've got for now.
    I won't hate on any of those at all. They all seem like quality choices. The only thing I would change Yukon Cornelius is that his primary weapon is a Warpick and Dueling fighting style.

What do you think about Hermie being a level 20 Way of Mercy Monk instead of a Life Cleric?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My first thought would be to play as one of Santa’s “elves” with a gnome Battle Smith with the Chef feat.

14. - Top - End - #14

ClericGuy

I won't hate on any of those at all. They all seem like quality choices. The only thing I would change Yukon Cornelius is that his primary weapon is a Warpick and Dueling fighting style.

What do you think about Hermie being a level 20 Way of Mercy Monk instead of a Life Cleric?
    Re: Cornelius, he throws his pick too much for me to call him a "Dueling Fighting Style." Your character, though, so go nuts.

Re: Hermie: That could work. I went with Life Cleric because it fits in with that whole dentistry idea, but again, your character so go nuts.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In a mountain after a cave-in.

MY STATS OFF THE ELITE ARRAY:
    Str: 14 Dex: 8 Con: 12 Int: 15 Wis: 10 Cha: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    I wish I had you for a DM...
    Please critique my 5e Beguiler Wizard subclass!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...izard-Subclass

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lana.Lynne, if you haven't settled on a race yet....you could consider playing a muppet.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Muppet_(5e_Race)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tKUUNK View Post
    Lana.Lynne, if you haven't settled on a race yet....you could consider playing a muppet.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Muppet_(5e_Race)
    Weird Legs is poorly written. Not the least of which is having no end clause and being able to hit DC 31.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I would play "Mrs. Claus" -- a 20th level arcana cleric. Note that level 17+ arcana clerics get access to wish via Arcane Mastery. She enjoys casting "heroes' feast" which could be a traditional holiday dinner, Christmas cookies, etc. Also, once a week she can call upon God to intervene (divine intervention) with a 100% chance of success!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

An elf, definitely.

I'd also consider coordinating with another player so one is fire-themed and the other is ice-themed, if you feel like referencing some Rankin-Bass.

19. - Top - End - #19

A lonely bear that just wandered into The North Pole. They don't want to leave because it's nice there, so they're helpful.

The actual build? Well, I had a Barbadin written up and then read you don't like Barbarians, so I'll leave that in a spoiler. So instead, I say Moon Druid 20. Refluff all your wild shapes as bears (You may very well be an incarnation of the constellation Ursa Major, here to avenge Santa's kidnapping as part of a pact with St Nicholas) and have fun being a full caster that's virtually invincible to HP damage. Plus, infinite wild shapes means you never have to be a person, so race doesn't matter. Go Custom Lineage and pick War Caster or something.

Some of the particular NICE high level spells you'll have access to while also being a bear (read: Mammoth/Earth Elemental): Investiture of Wind (it has other benefits, but mostly it's here for FLYING BEAR), Sunbeam (LASER BEAR), Reverse Gravity (I honestly just find the image of this spell hilarious), Whirlwind (it's like Reverse Gravity, but with added throwing people), Earthquake (break towns, send people falling into ~55ft deep fissures. Not necessarily a combat spell but a fun onel), Shapechange (Just be a bear... that's also an Ancient Brass/Crysta/Topaz/White Dragon/Balor/Leviathan/Pit Fiend/Nightwalker/Planetar/Storm Giant or whatever else you want it's your 9th level spell slot after all not mine)

Spoiler: The Barbadin
    Show
    Shifter/Bugbear/Goliath/Custom Lineage (probably take Tough or Mobile as your bonus feat), Barbarian14/Paladin6. Turn all those spell slots into smite slots. For subclasses you have options:
    Barbarian side:
    - Totem (Your bear represents bears everywhere. Going with all the Bear options is thematic, but I also recommend Eagle as your Lv14 benefit so you can be a FLYING BEAR)
    - Zealot (Be the incarnation of the stars above and channel the radiant fury of Ursa Major)
    - Ancestral Guardian (Channel the mystical power of your great warrior ancestors! By that I mean Winnie the Pooh of course)
    Paladin side:
    - Devotion (You have pledged your loyalty to this home you have found. The head of the household shall be returned to his rightful place)
    - Vengeance (If any have harmed the man that has created such a home for you, they shall be brought low by fang and claw!)
    - Ancients (You feel a kinship with the light and love you have found, and have accepted a new role as a guardian)

Now, yes, this may need the following refluffing:
    1. Turning whatever race you pick into a bear (that can talk? That part is up to you)
    2. Refluffing whatever weapon you choose to use as your ursine natural weaponry.
    3. Not refluffing but accepting a bear in armour as a member of the party.

But frankly, given that this is Lv20 (where so many more ridiculous things happen than "The martial guy can't be disarmed" or "Bears that talk") and a less serious one-shot, I can't imagine a DM being too much of a stickler against this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Fredaintdead; 2021-12-03 at 05:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n