New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Network Protocal Error?

Hello. Every so often, as of a couple weeks ago, when I've been loading pages I get an error message that reads as follows;

"Network Protocol Error

An error occurred during a connection to forums.giantitp.com.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the network protocol was detected.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

There is a button to try again and this generally fixes it right up, but as it told me to contact the website owners I've decided to do... ergo this thread. So there you go. Seems like it could be an important thing.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-12-02 at 12:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Network Protocal Error?

Was it a CloudFlare page?

If it wasn't a CloudFlare page, it means that the issue was between you and CloudFlare (could be your computer, could be CloudFlare, could be something in between). If it was a CloudFlare page, that means it's an issue between CloudFlare and the server (could be CloudFlare, could be the server, could be something in between).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I've seen this occasionally too, and I'm pretty sure it says "CloudFlare" on the error page. When I see it again, I'll take notes to make certain I have all the details.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Was it a CloudFlare page?

If it wasn't a CloudFlare page, it means that the issue was between you and CloudFlare (could be your computer, could be CloudFlare, could be something in between). If it was a CloudFlare page, that means it's an issue between CloudFlare and the server (could be CloudFlare, could be the server, could be something in between).
    Will update if it happens again, cause I don't recall. I'd presume no since I copy pasted the page basically, but best to keep a look out for next time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I've been seeing this intermittently over the past couple weeks as well. Nothing mentioning CloudFlare that I recall, but I'll keep an eye out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Hello. Every so often, as of a couple weeks ago, when I've been loading pages I get an error message that reads as follows;

"Network Protocol Error

An error occurred during a connection to forums.giantitp.com.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the network protocol was detected.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

There is a button to try again and this generally fixes it right up, but as it told me to contact the website owners I've decided to do... ergo this thread. So there you go. Seems like it could be an important thing.
    I get this error every time I load the current Pokemon thread, and that's either the only thread I get it on or at least the vast majority of the time I get it (I can't remember getting it on any other thread). "Try Again" button always works. Error message does not mention Cloudflare.
    Last edited by Algeh; 2021-12-03 at 01:54 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been getting it on occasion too for the last week or so, no mention of Cloudflare.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

This is how it looks like on mine. I got it clicking on this thread, after having had it happen a few times elsewhere. Using Firefox.
    Last edited by Razade; 2021-12-03 at 06:26 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I just remembered that this has come up before. According to every result in google, this is a cache issue, invalid data has been cached by Firefox. Forcing the page to refresh should fix it.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I just remembered that this has come up before. According to every result in google, this is a cache issue, invalid data has been cached by Firefox. Forcing the page to refresh should fix it.
    Had it happen again and it didn't say Cloudflare. And noted; the Try Again button basically does that. I was just hoping there would be a solution that would... make it not happen.