New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Has anyone made a CHA based Undead Warlock X Conquest Paladin 7?

Hey, I’ve been thinking about this build for a while now and I’m curious to know if anyone has made it work.

Basic premise is to use eldritch blast, probably with repelling blast for control, and form of dread to lock things down where appropriate. Later on tomelock shillelagh could give you a viable melee attack if you needed one, but as much as possible try and be a ranged control tank, repelling foes you can’t frighten.

Unfortunately strength needs to take a back seat a bit and progress might not be smooth. Any thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Has anyone made a CHA based Undead Warlock X Conquest Paladin 7?

Eldritch blaster Paladins get increasingly more common because people understand that ranged > melee. I scrapped all my PAM Paladin builds a long time ago except for a GWM Vengeance for high level play.

I'm not sure that conquest 7 is a good addition to form of dread though. The aura is good for a melee attacker, but fairly inconsequential for a ranged one. Frightened condition already makes the afflicted unable to move towards his source of fear. The only reason you'd ever want them to be immovable would be if you couldn't chase after them. The 3-4 damage per round is inconsequential at this point and it has antisynergy with eldritch blast

The CD is ok, since it allows you to cause fear even when you are out of Form of Dread, however at this point I think you are putting all your eggs in the same basket. You need to be able to do something in case the enemies are immune to fear and you can always get the fear spell on your warlock at lvl 5.
    Last edited by Gtdead; 2021-12-05 at 06:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Has anyone made a CHA based Undead Warlock X Conquest Paladin 7?

Currently playing one and I know it's been discussed here already. Can't post links but the thread was called "Pure Conquest Paladin, or dip Undead Warlock?". Gtdead summarized the issues pretty well. Have low-ish strength at the moment but I'm taking Pact of the Blade anyway for double smites . My planned level progression is below. Hopefully the formatting isn't completely butchered.

Level Progression Benefit
    1 Paladin 1 Armor/Weapon/Shield proficiencies, WIS/CHA saving throw proficiency, Athletics/Persuasion proficiency, Divine Sense, Lay on Hands, Eldritch Adept (Grasp of Hadar)
    2 Warlock 1 Otherworldly Patron (Undead), Pact Magic (Hex, Expeditious Retreat), Cantrips (Eldritch Blast, Create Bonfire), two 1st level Warlock spell slots, Form of Dread
    3 Paladin 2 Spellcasting, two 1st level Paladin spell slots, Divine Smite
    4 Paladin 3 Oath of Conquest Sacred Oath, Divine Health, Channel Divinity, Oath Spells, one additional 1st level Paladin spell slot (total three)
    5 Paladin 4 ASI/Feat (Sentinel vs. +1 CHA/+1 WIS vs. +2 STR)
    6 Paladin 5 Extra Attack, two 2nd level Paladin spell slots, one additional 1st level Paladin spell slot (total four)
    7 Paladin 6 Aura of Protection
    8 Paladin 7 Aura of Conquest, one additional 2nd level Paladin spell slot
    9 Warlock 2 Eldritch Invocations (Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast), one additional 1st level Warlock spell slot, one additional Warlock spell known (Cause Fear), Warlock spell known swap (Exchange Expeditious Retreat for Arms of Hadar)
    10 Warlock 3 Pact Boon (Pact of the Blade), Warlock spell slot level increase to 2nd, one additional Warlock spell known (Cloud of Daggers vs. Hold Person vs. Mirror Image vs. Misty Step), Warlock spell known swap (Exchange Cause Fear for Cloud of Daggers vs. Hold Person vs. Mirror Image vs. Misty Step)
    11 Warlock 4 ASI (Sentinel vs. +1 CHA/+1 WIS vs. +2 STR vs. +2 CHA if +1 CHA/+1 WIS already taken at Paladin 4), one additional Warlock spell known (Cloud of Daggers vs. Hold Person vs. Mirror Image vs. Misty Step), Warlock spell known swap (Not needed)
    12 Warlock 5 Warlock spell slot level increase to 3rd, one additional Warlock spell known (Fear), Warlock spell known swap (Exchange Arms of Hadar for Counterspell vs. Spirit Shroud), one additional Eldritch Invocation (Eldritch Smite)