New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Crystal Cult [IC]

Observing the party from the outskirts, it doesn't long for Mina to notice the beautifully dressed centaur. In fact, would be difficult not to notice her, standing head, shoulders, and a fair bit of torso above most of the rest of the guests.

Having only seen a centaur once before, and that from a much greater distance, Mina approaches with curiousity and awe written clearly across her face. Only through supreme willpower does she manage to prevent herself from reaching out and patting Sophie on a flank.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Alexandria having started to talk to noble family after noble family slowly wanders her way to the rest of the group, just in time to hear Sophia's question.

Hmm. Oh wow, that is a very old house. I'm trying to remember what they were called but they don't exist anymore. No more true born heirs if I recall correctly. It would certainly be the most common explanation for their disappearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

"Princess" Serenity bowed "This is a lovely festival. As for the seal... Yes... It is old. And I would've expected inexistent by now" she frowned after inspecting it "It's the Grigorins' family seal. We're talking about those who founded Altheneim"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Sophie starts at the arrival of Alexandria, once she figures out just who is showing interest in her invitation.

"Your highness!" she all but meeps, trying to initiate the centaur equivalent of a curtsy in the small space she can, Thank you for this festival; You grace me with your interest... though forgive my impertinence, but... Are these 'Grigorins' still around? Why would they invite a priestess like me--just a canter away from being a mendicant or a friar-- to this? Or someone else acting in their name?" though her tone remains pleasant, Sophie clearly seems confused, as if she's inviting trouble on herself.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2021-12-05 at 08:25 AM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Emera bows politely to the princess as she arrives, smiling softly. She listens quietly to the conversation as it progresses, but narrows her eyes at Sophie mentions that she doesn't know why she was invited. "I was also invited by unknown benefactors, curiously enough..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Mina seems to be taking a keen interest in the conversation, but also, for whatever reason, gives the impression of not wanting to interject herself into a conversation with the princess.
    Last edited by Ryton; 2021-12-05 at 07:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

The Harvest Festival celebration at Midrew's Landing has started properly, by now, as have your conversations with one another. Serenity can see her students, halfway through the dance floor, as the music kicks up. It's comedic, watching them scramble as they realize they're about to be stuck dancing-until she notices something else. Emera notices too-something rising from beneath the tower's island. It's not too large, perhaps the size of a small home, but it looks out of place, and feels... Ominous.

And the the crackle starts.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The thing, once you get a good look at it, is similar, but not quite the same, in appearance to a small boat. It's made of some strange material you do not recognize, or at least can't recognize at this distance, and has rings projecting some kind of light where the oars would normally be.

The crackle will require y'all to make a DC 12 Intelligence save. On a success, it sounds annoying and reverberates in your brain. On a failure, take (2d4)[2] psychic damage, and suffer a -1d4 penalty to any d20 rolls you make while still within range of the crackle. Notably, succeeding on this save will NOT make you immune to it-and each time you fail a save, the penalty increases by a die size.

I'll roll i this thread for the other guests' saves.

That'll be 44 failures!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Mina's eyes immediately snap to the object. She grimaces slightly, physically feeling the energy it gives off, rather than hearing it. She moves herself slightly, positioned not directly between it and Princess Alexandria, but slightly off to the side so that she can see both it and Alexandria, in case the Princess has orders for her.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

"What is- nnngh" Serenity put a hand to her head, then realized the slightly bothersome ringing seemed to be hurting the other guests a whole lot more.

"There!" she pointed to the incoming ship "That might be making this sound- we need to either stop it or take everybody away!"

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    How are her students? How far is the 'ship'? Are people's vehicles/mounts/whatever they uses to come here nearby to evacuate everybody?

10. - Top - End - #40

Most of the people seem... Affected, but they don't seem to place it as something sinister. Lacking the experience you all have, some might chalk it up to altitude sickness, some might think it's booze (which has been available), some might just think they're getting a migraine.

Adrian and Alezia seem unaffected, for the moment, but are hellbent on getting off the dance floor right now-and are heading directly away from their teacher, as that's their shortest avenue.

There are a few mounts and carriages, but not near enough to evacuate everyone. You could fit perhaps a dozen people comfortably to escape, perhaps half again with squeezing, and twice as many if you're willing to risk some folk falling off.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Sophie shifts her hooves awkwardly, hand to her temples her eyes in a wince.

"That was... unpleasant. Why would a ship or whatever that thing is cause so much unpleasantness?" Sophie looks around warily. Usually things like this may be nothing more than a distraction. Something else may be going on, something dangerous.

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

(1d20+3)[18] Perception
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

12. - Top - End - #42

Spoiler: Perception DC 18
    Show
    There are three more of the floating things-the other three are much lower, just barely cresting over the landing. People are disembarking from them.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Mina looks to the princess and begins to sign. Highness, there three other... she hesitates for a moment, uncertain of the right word to describe the craft, ships? at the landing. It looks like people are getting off of them.

14. - Top - End - #44

Three other ships! Alexandria calls out. Guards, to arms, to arms! Citizens please evacuate in an orderly fashion.

Lady Anna, grant me the strength! Alexandria starts putting her hand on her holy symbol. To not dance with the reaper this day!

Spoiler
    Show

Casting death ward.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

15. - Top - End - #45

NecromancerGirl

The noise.

Emera was accustomed to hearing voices in her head, but this was something else entirely. It was like a jagged rock plunging through her head, and she grit her teeth as the force hits. She barely registers the additional flying ships, but she doesn't need to process them to know that she, and everyone else present, are in danger. However, the need to act wars with her natural instinct to keep her powers hidden. She settles on a compromise - a simple use of power that serves to fortify her for the coming battle while not being too extravagant a use of magic.

She reaches into her purse, drawing out the black crystal she uses as her arcane focus, as well as the magical rod used to enhance some of her powers. Thus equipped, she softly chants a prayer in an alien language: "En lik zaresh, bankorok sen reth evesaltic." Even before the incantation is fully complete, as if her powers already sense her intent, a layer of dark frost spreads over her body and clothes...

And then, she waits, for the enemy to make the first move.

Spoiler: Translation, for those that understand Deep Speech
    Show
    "I call to the shadows, protect me with voidfrost."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Emera casts Armor of Agathys on herself, using a Warlock spell slot. She duly gains 25 Temp HP, and anyone striking her takes that same amount of cold damage.
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.

16. - Top - End - #46

The guards continue to sort people, no real urgency. At least, not until people start dropping from the crackle.

But near one of the groups, a trio of mask-wearing goons attacks them. With Alexandria's warning, they had their shields ready, and so are able to avoid taking any hits from the attackers.

Another group of guards is attacked, and in this group, one of the trio lands a solid blow. The cut from the short blade doesn't bleed much, or even look that bad, but the guard drops, knocked out.

The third and final group of guards suffer a similar fate, leaving only four guards standing.

Spoiler: Crackle Damage
    Show
    (2d4)[5]

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Sophie puts her hand on her holy symbol... She flexes her arms under the powder blue dress and with a creaking RIIIIIP, the knots and cords around her sword shred apart freeing the chisel tipped and battered blade. A giant ruby rests inside the metal at the base of the hilt, reflecting an unorthodox symbol etched within.

"Yes, Aquilonia, I'm quite upset," she briefly frets before saying goodbye to her dress under her breath, "Princess, ladies... I'm going to give those naughty party crashers a piece of my mind. |And a taste of this steel. Please excuse me while I settle their hash." she growls louder, "I'll buy you some time to prepare a defense!"

Show

Athletics check to circumvent the crowd, either from leaps, body checks, or what have you: (1d20+9)[10]

18. - Top - End - #48

Alexandria twirls her hands.

Spirits of the throne, your crown princess calls upon you!

Spoiler
    Show

Alexandria will cast spirit guardians marking her family, the pc's, the guards, and the civilians as to not be affected.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Mina wastes no time deciding what to do. As long as the craft remain in the air, there is nothing she can do about them. The masked figures on the ground, however, are another matter.

Mina sprints forward towards the masked figures, then stops short in front of Sophie. With a small flourish, a translucent, amber colored blade forms in her hand, which she promptly hurls towards the nearest of the masked figures, then quickly summons and throws a second and third blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full 65ft movement towards the goons, and an Attack action, followed by the Psychic Blades BA attack. Attack and damage rolls are in the OoC thread.

Results of 21 to hit with 10 psychic damage, 11 to hit with 8 psychic damage, and 20 to hit with 6 psychic damage.
    Last edited by Ryton; 2021-12-10 at 01:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Serenity stepped forward.
    "We can't save these people if they're going to get knocked out right away- I'm a little hesistant to use this right now, but it's my best option" retreating a small bottle from her bag, she spinned it in her hands once before drinking the content. Inspiring heavily, she blew out a whirlwind right at the ship that was flying out of reach, and concentrating commanded the winds to knock the ship down.

Meanwhile, her little flying airship model turned towards one of the wounded aggressors, blasting away.

Show
    Alright, Action to use Control Winds (Downdraft) around the flying crackle ship- it needs to make a Str save or be knocked Prone.

She'll also use her Bonus Action to attack with the aritificer homunculus if possible- it has a 30 feet fly speed and a 30 feet reach spell attack.

(1d20+9)[12] for (1d4+4)[5] force damage.

21. - Top - End - #51

Show
    60' range (with move plus distance) is not sufficient.

(1d20+4)[7] Strength Save
    What's the DC?

Edit: It's more than 7. That's a failure.

The crackling ship wibbles, wobbles, and goes down. One of the holes emitting the light keeping it aloft smacks into the side of the Landing, and it tumbles down, down, down...

The noise of the crackle fades. You don't hear any crash from below, so it might come back, but for the moment, it's gone.

The foes by the second ship start to move towards your group rapidly.

Show
    They're closing, but they're still a ways away. Crackle is gone for the moment.

Emera is up now!
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-12-13 at 12:14 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGirl

Well, that was one problem gone, for the moment. Serenity's solution had, however, drawn attention to them. But that was fine -- it was best if these assailants focused on the ones who were actually the biggest threat.

Quickly, Emera assessed her options. There weren't enough foes in a single area -- and too many bystanders -- to justify an area attack. She could cloak herself in darkness, but that would hinder her allies who weren't used to Emera's style of fighting. That left... ah, of course. She could call for aid. But she'd have to move quickly.

Drawing on the dark power inside her, she uttered a single word, "Tier," and the darkness answered. There was no need to waste time on lengthy incantations, for the darkness already knew what she wanted. A dark portal opened up beside her, and out shambled a mishapen, two-legged creature, its features mercifully hidden by the shadows cloaking it. All that could be distinguished were sharp claws and gnashing teeth, accompanied by an enraged growling - an echo of the subtle anger Emera felt at the nerve of those who would attack this gathering. And, lest anyone mistake the creature for an enemy, she called out to it in Common, "Protect us!"

With that done, Emera extended her hand towards whatever goon approaching them that she had the clearest shot to, and uttered another word, "Destarok," and a pair of violet bolts flew out, one after another, towards their target. This would, at the very least, tell Emera how tough their foes were. Hopefully.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Using 2 Sorcery Points (7 remaining) to cast Summon Shadowspawn as a bonus action, using a 4th-level spell slot and choosing Fury for its emotion.

Then, casting Eldritch Blast and targeting both bolts at whatever foe I have the clearest shot at.
    (1d20+9)[29] minus (1d4)[3]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[8]
    (1d20+9)[21] minus (1d4)[3]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[8]

Do you have the stats for the Shadowspawn, or should I post those here?

23. - Top - End - #53

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: Crit!
    Show
    You know, I thought, "Should I roll an extra damage die in case I crit?" But then I thought, "nah..."

Also, I just realized, those attack rolls should have been at a +11, thanks to Rod of the Pact Keeper, though it probably doesn't matter this time.

(1d10)[6]
    Last edited by Dusk Raven; 2021-12-13 at 02:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Show
    I do have Tasha's, but post them in the OOC thread for convenience, please. And you can roll for your summon.

The first bolt slams into the goon Mina targeted, taking them down and dropping them to the ground. The second bolt hits another one of them, but they're undeterred.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #55

The guards are wrapped up-dispatched, but not dead, by the masked goons.

The two mooks by Mina strike with their shortswords, but find themselves missing, Mina expertly bobbing and weaving between the blades. When the blades near her, though, she can feel a faint vibration from them, and a sort of accompanying resonance in her mind.

Show
    No damage on Mina, just some flavor describing how it feels.

And now, it's Alexandria, Sophie, Mina, and Serenity!

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

As the source of the crackle goes down, Mina glances over to Serenity and gives her a quick smile in gratitude. She then looks at the princess and signs a brief question, Take prisoners?

She swiftly reforms the amber blade, and swings at the masked assailants, then prepares to defend herself from the incoming group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attacks on the goon that survived the Eldritch Blast, switching targets if they drop, and sneak attack in case Sophie moved somewhere that enables it.

Attack - (1d20+8)[17]-Residual Crackle - (1d4)[4]; Damage - (1d6+4)[7]
    Attack - (1d20+8)[18]-Residual Crackle - (1d4)[2]; Damage - (1d6+4)[6]
    Sneak Attack - (5d6)[19]

Then she'll spend a Ki point on Patient Defense.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Aquilonia takes no prisoners.

Sophie may pull her strikes at times, however, especially if she wants someone alive for questioning or to just keep the peace. She bullies through the crowd, shouting apologies and moves her way as far as she can, trying to get to the closest mooks and swings the flat of her sword about; hopefully this means she's fighting near or alongside Mina.

Show

Since I'm gonna say Sophie only brought her sword with her and not her shield, her AC is 16 at the moment. But that also means she's 2-handing her weapon.

Aquilonia attack 1:(1d20+10)[22]
    2:(1d20+10)[16]

Damage
    (1d10+6)[9]
    (1d10+6)[16]

Last edited by tonberryking; 2021-12-16 at 09:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Mina's strike downs one of the assailants, and Sophie kills another. This leaves you temporarily free of goons-and the other groups, seeing how quickly you dealt with their friends, are hesitating just a bit to come after you too.

They, all acting in accord, start to grab people off the floor-dragging them, one in each hand, slowly towards their vessels. A few moments after they start doing that, Midrew's Landing begins listing-subtly, but assuredly. Whatever magic maintains the flight of this island is weakening, and it's tilting. Fortunately, during this altercation, someone with access to Altenheim's Sending network must have noticed the battle-carriages, pegasi, griffons, and other miscellaneous flying implements or mounts are arriving.

Among the arrivals is another one of the goon's flying vessels-nothing you've seen before have that type of motive force. This one appears rather damaged-a thin wisp of smoke curls up from its rear, and one of the light-emitting holes is tinted yellow, rather than white. There's a person on the deck as it flies, gripping hard to a railing but standing strong. It is also barreling directly for the area currently occupied by Serenity, Emera, and Alexandria.

"Princess!" the figure-a woman with a deep alto voice-bellows as the vessel comes nearer. It stops, dangerously close to the group, smoke pluming out now as it pulls the difficult maneuver. "Your sisters are in danger! We need your help to save them!"

Show
    Right-goons taken care of, if you're okay with them grabbing the civilians. There are some more guards arriving, but they're unlikely to be able to stop the goons on their own before they flee.

Then, there's this lady yelling at you. Insight and Perception results below.

Spoiler: Insight DC 10
    Show
    She's being honest.

Spoiler: DC 14
    Show
    Yup, totally honest.

Spoiler: DC 18
    Show
    She seems pretty dang capable, but is worried about what's going on.

Spoiler: DC 22
    Show
    She's here to help.

Spoiler: Perception DC 10
    Show
    She should probably put more clothes on. She's got a bare midriff and some kind of form-fitting red cloak. Also a big greatsword.

Spoiler: DC 14
    Show
    That's not a cloak, that's her... Armor? It's part of her body. Some kind of shellish thing, though she's still got the figure of a woman.

Spoiler: DC 18
    Show
    And that sword is NOT the same material as the goons' blades-it's steel.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"Princess, do you know this person?" Serenity inquired before adding "I wish to stress out that people are in danger right here and now"

She grasped a bottle of flammable liquid and threw it at a goon dragging a civillian, advancing after them while her small homunculus shot at them.

Show
    Serenity doesn't trust this woman but maybe she knows the princess.

If in range she will Firebolt a goon taking a civillian away and blast them with the homunculus (or another one if that one dies).

Firebolt (1d20+9)[28] (2d10+5)[16] fire damage
    Homunculus (1d20+9)[22] (1d4+4)[5] force damage

If she's too far she'll Dash after them.

30. - Top - End - #60

I....do not.... but if my siblings are in danger. I must rescue them. Alexandria will turn to one of the other vehicles looking for a high ranking person.

Get the civilians out of here, they are alive and should be able to make a full recovery!