New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default since we all love the order of the stick and admire Rich Burlew's work

¿do you think we could convince Rich Burlew to make a customized character avatar for one's posting persona based on

1.how one describes one's username identity
    2.how many people dig one's username identity
    3.how Rich Burlew chooses to work the character into his grand ouvre?

As example, I would be the first contestant, if he has time and agrees to engage with his fans in this way, he would determine how much time we have to send participations and when its done he helds polls to see who of us wins...

¿So what is the gnomish dwelf?

He is the child of a high elf (with some avariel blood and some gray elf blood, but mostly high elf) and his mountain dwarf spouse (she does not have a beard, female dwarves do not have beards)... But tragedy strikes early in his life and a mixed gnome family rescues him from death in the wilds, raising him as a gnome (tinker gnome adoptive father and forest gnome adoptive mother, with a pure forest gnome adoptive older brother, a mixed gnome adoptive middle brother that is more forest gnome than tinker gnome and an adoptive sister that is more tinker gnome than forest gnome and triplets that are a perfect mix of tinker gnome and forst gnome, two identica sisters and their semi-identical brother)... Eventually he learns of his true heritage but not before he becomes a transmogrifier bard... A transmogrifier bard gets 1 extra spell per spell level available as long as the extra spell is of the transmogrification school, the transmogrification school is an alteration subschool that transforms targets into tempora or permanent undead by binding them to negative energy... As a bard he is not a musician as 3rd edition bards and later edition bards are, nope, he is a storyteller, a joker, a riddlemaster, an etymologist, an expert in coats of arms, he even wears the hat and neck decoration of a buffoon/harlequin, but with skulls as bells... And has a predilection for undead familiars and shapeshifting into combinations of himself and them. But he is the life of a party and doesnt reject life, he sees death as part of nature, along with a cycle of birth-death-rebirth... So he takes after 2nd edition green book's bards from the celt books, a little at least. His thief skills are also unorthodox, he has hide in shadows, detect noise, climb walls, move silently, pick pockets, read languages, for the extra thief skills he sacrifices how much percentage he can divide between them... And his pick pockets only works on bags and on sleight of hand tricks similar to the one pulled by a charlatan thief from the green books who pretends to have magic, only that he has true magic too, but he uses stage magic to pretend access to the opposite schools which, for transmogrification, are enchantment/charm, conjuration/summoning and illusion/phantasm (enchant an item, and permanency belong to the universal school). He also has psionic mimicry proficiency and somatic concealment proficiency which allows his stage magic or true magic to pass as psionic powers when he wants to fool others, he sometimes even disguises himself as a mime to confuse others as his pantomimes do have magical effect. But he has a charisma penalty with his high charisma only working through what he writes (and he has the storytelling proficiency). Of course the props he uses are risky after all, he was raised by a tinker gnome... and has learnt all he knows about engineering from them... He is also well versed in mythological lore which means his legend lore identifies items as well as magical creatures and religious stuff. Is this OP? I dont mind writing some downsides to this unorthodox neutral good antihero... He is also close to nature and to druids, close to animals, plants, the elements and the weather, but his magic is transmogrification mostly.

If Rich Burlew despises this kewl 2nd edition homebrew character concept it wouldn't matter if others vote and say they do like it, after all, I am not suggesting this competition because I am desperate for a customized character avatar... the necromancer dude is cool too and could probably be the look my gnomish dwelf exhibits when trying to go low key, low profile... When not mounting a show. (although his staff allways has a skull at its tip with a fool's cap wth skulls as bells, and he is proficient in axes, sickles, scythes and curved blades in general)... I just need an excuse to post ten times in order to be allowed to share links and i thought I could kill two birds with a single stone, one is improving my avatar by customizing it and the other is posting an inane suggestion that the unknown Rich Burlew might dislike or not (my low charisma is showing, I know, but there are situations when I dont get the penalty and all works magnificiently).
    Last edited by gnomish dwelf; 2021-12-13 at 02:51 AM. Reason: forgot a useful symbol

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: since we all love the order of the stick and admire Rich Burlew's work

Quote Originally Posted by gnomish dwelf View Post
    ¿do you think we could convince Rich Burlew to make a customized character avatar for one's posting persona based on

1.how one describes one's username identity
    2.how many people dig one's username identity
    3.how Rich Burlew chooses to work the character into his grand ouvre?
    I think that you are late to that one, we already have had Veldrina (whose character design was supposed to be that of a walk-in cameo).
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: since we all love the order of the stick and admire Rich Burlew's work

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think that you are late to that one, we already have had Veldrina (whose character design was supposed to be that of a walk-in cameo).
    I dont remember Veldrina, was this years ago? This could be the 2nd itineration of the competition, such a competition could be held once every three years, once every five years, etc. just an idea.

EDIT: I remember Veldrina now, but Veldrina came from a kickstarter and the winner was whoever paid the most... I propose that the winner be whoever draws the most positive attention to the order of the stick.
    Last edited by gnomish dwelf; 2021-12-13 at 04:50 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: since we all love the order of the stick and admire Rich Burlew's work

I suspect Rich Burlew is pretty busy, and it would probably be easier to find someone else on this forum to make you a custom avatar.

You could try asking in this thread, lots of talented artists there: Request an OotS style Avatar 14: Even More Revenge

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CheesePirate View Post
    I suspect Rich Burlew is pretty busy, and it would probably be easier to find someone else on this forum to make you a custom avatar.

You could try asking in this thread, lots of talented artists there: Request an OotS style Avatar 14: Even More Revenge
    well the really cool part of the issue is seeing the avatar take a life of its own in the webcomic, but yeah, you are probably right, and in that case, I should try to make the avatar myself... since the order of the stick is all stick figures, it shouldn't take too much talent to do it and I already have some talent. But yeah, Rich Burlew must be very busy, every now and then there are weeks before a new chapter.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

You've obviously missed Mr.Burlew's comic where the artist at comicon listens to a lengthy description of a character by an excited fan, then asks, "Yes, but what does the character look like?"

Artists are in a curious position: they require freedom to express themselves, but we fans sometimes feel that our loyalty and devotion entitles us to a measure of recognition. Larry Niven once famously said that the last thing a writer needs is another idea for a story. He then detailed a few ideas that he didn't have time to develop and invited his fans to write the stories.

It seems you are enthusiastic about your character and about the comic. I suggest there is no one more qualified to write that story than you. Mr.Burlew has kindly provided a place for you to publish it too.

I can't wait to read it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    You've obviously missed Mr.Burlew's comic where the artist at comicon listens to a lengthy description of a character by an excited fan, then asks, "Yes, but what does the character look like?"
    I've developed that elsewhere in these forums... (The looks)

Artists are in a curious position: they require freedom to express themselves, but we fans sometimes feel that our loyalty and devotion entitles us to a measure of recognition.
    You are wrong to believe I believe myself entitled to any recognition, I know I do not deserve his recognition, at least not out of my desire to have it, it would be a grand gesture on his part, but I am not entitled to it, that is why i propose a competition, so others can take the opportunity if their idea is more popular.

Larry Niven once famously said that the last thing a writer needs is another idea for a story.
    I know, I am a writer wanna be myself

He then detailed a few ideas that he didn't have time to develop and invited his fans to write the stories.

It seems you are enthusiastic about your character and about the comic. I suggest there is no one more qualified to write that story than you. Mr.Burlew has kindly provided a place for you to publish it too.

I can't wait to read it.
    What is that place? For the time being this idea is just a desire to have a crossover of my character with his magnus opus... 'cause Order of the stick is truly fantastic despite using 3rd edition and not 2nd edition as media...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CheesePirate View Post

This is your best bet if you want an OotS style avatar (well, that or commissioning one elsewhere on the webs, or drawing it oneself.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This is your best bet if you want an OotS style avatar (well, that or commissioning one elsewhere on the webs, or drawing it oneself.)
    yeah, that is what I am trying now

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gnomish dwelf View Post
    I know, I am a writer wanna be myself

What is that place? For the time being this idea is just a desire to have a crossover of my character with his magnus opus... 'cause Order of the stick is truly fantastic despite using 3rd edition and not 2nd edition as media...
    There's an Arts & Crafts subforum. You can post short stories there, plus there's a subsubforum for fan comics.

As for writing... Just do it! Seriously, nothing stopping you. You'll make stories that aren't as good as they can be at first, but you'll get better.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    There's an Arts & Crafts subforum. You can post short stories there, plus there's a subsubforum for fan comics.
    oh ok, then I will share a short story I have over there

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    As for writing... Just do it! Seriously, nothing stopping you. You'll make stories that aren't as good as they can be at first, but you'll get better.
    I do write, i say I am a wanna be writer because I do not finish my work to the point where I can publish it.

Artists are in a curious position: they require freedom to express themselves, but we fans sometimes feel that our loyalty and devotion entitles us to a measure of recognition. Larry Niven once famously said that the last thing a writer needs is another idea for a story. He then detailed a few ideas that he didn't have time to develop and invited his fans to write the stories.

I can't wait to read it.
    I've added two short stories, one I wrote in my last year in high school and the other I wrote in my last year in a university before gong drop out... Feel free to comment on them even if you don't like them.
    Last edited by gnomish dwelf; 2021-12-15 at 05:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Last he sent out a Kickstarter update he was still working on the Kickstarter commissions. I doubt he'd open up new commissions until those are completed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Last he sent out a Kickstarter update he was still working on the Kickstarter commissions. I doubt he'd open up new commissions until those are completed.
    Doubtless true.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society