New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The problem with Serini

The order want Serini as an ally, right? That can only happen by persuasion, right?
    Rouges are good at lies and deception, right?
    Serini is Rouge, and likely a good one.
    Given her thinking it would make sense for her to betray the order to xykon.
    Can the Order ever be sure she won't be an unreliable ally that stab them in the back?

2. - Top - End - #2

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The problem with Serini

The Order can be sure that Serini is an unreliable ally because she explicitly refused to be an ally and also is currently attacking them. Other than that though, I don't see why she'd want to turn them over to Xykon. That would probably lead to the fight she very much wants to avoid.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    I can't possibly see how that would make any sense at all.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4

The two members of the OOTS least likely to be fooled by someone are Haley and Belkar. Considering both of them are with Serini, I see zero chance of her fooling both of them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The order want Serini as an ally, right? That can only happen by persuasion, right?
    Can the Order ever be sure she won't be an unreliable ally that stab them in the back?
    If Serini decides to join the party, it's most likely it is because she decides all 9 of them together would stand a chance against Xykon.
    If Serini were to betray the party after joining them, it would most likely be leaving the minute everything goes to hell instead of sticking around until the end.
    It would not be any form of sabotage, as her endgoal is keeping the Gate, her body, Sunny, and the rest of the world safe in that order, followed by destroying Xykon. Betraying the order to Xykon would risk all of those, and if she decides the Order has to go away, she can do it herself, like she is now.
    If it's the actual final showdown and things go south, I doubt she would try to flip sides or hinder the party in any way outside of getting out of dodge.

Serini gets nothing out of Xykon actually winning, and even less out of betraying the Order to Xykon. She doesn't work for him, and hates his guts. She's scared of him, but that doesn't mean she wants to throw bodies in his direction as a treat.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

I actually think they're about to make up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If we’re going solely by in-comic testimony, then the problem with Serini is that she “sucks.” Seems simple enough, albeit not the conclusion I would have drawn.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I actually think they're about to make up.
    Is she going to make them blush?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I can't possibly see how that would make any sense at all.
    That's at least two of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    The two members of the OOTS least likely to be fooled by someone are Haley and Belkar. Considering both of them are with Serini, I see zero chance of her fooling both of them.
    Concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    If Serini decides to join the party, it's most likely it is because she decides all 9 of them together would stand a chance against Xykon.
    If Serini were to betray the party after joining them, it would most likely be leaving the minute everything goes to hell instead of sticking around until the end.
    It would not be any form of sabotage, as her endgoal is keeping the Gate, her body, Sunny, and the rest of the world safe in that order, followed by destroying Xykon. Betraying the order to Xykon would risk all of those, and if she decides the Order has to go away, she can do it herself, like she is now.
    If it's the actual final showdown and things go south, I doubt she would try to flip sides or hinder the party in any way outside of getting out of dodge.

Serini gets nothing out of Xykon actually winning, and even less out of betraying the Order to Xykon. She doesn't work for him, and hates his guts. She's scared of him, but that doesn't mean she wants to throw bodies in his direction as a treat.
    Said what I was thinking, thank you.
    Wait, is she a rogue or a rouge?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Rouges are good at covering things up!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Rouges are good at covering things up!
    And Serini is a halfling, so you could even call her a compact.

12. - Top - End - #12

1) The Order doesn't know very much about Serini's thinking, because she's refused to talk with them. They have every reason to think that she opposes Xykon, and no reason to think that she would work with him.

2) There's no reason for her to betray them to Xykon. She doesn't want them fighting Xykon at all because she thinks they'll wind up destroying the gate in the process (her thoughts on this are not very well developed- more on that in a moment). There's really no scenario that I can think of where betraying them to Xykon makes it less likely that this outcome will occur, especially given her stated belief that Xykon will easily beat them anyway. She'd just be making it more likely that Xykon finds out about her or that the Order winds up acting out of desperation. Keep in mind that she didn't attack the Order because they were about to ambush Xykon- she was just following through on a pre-existing plan of hers that she decided on well before they entered the dungeon.

3) A lot of what has become accepted as "her thinking" on this forum is a construct of this forum, not the Serini we see in the comic. Serini, in the comic, is acting irrationally, and most of her plans and positions clearly haven't been thought through. In order to try to represent Serini as being more rational and calculating than she actually is, people have invented a lot of reasons and arguments that Serini herself has not expressed, even when given the opportunity. The Serini we see in the comic is not a coldly rational schemer; she's prone to emotional outbursts, block-headed stubbornness, and short-term thinking. When V asked why she didn't respond to their sending, she didn't outline some concern that if they knew she was alive they might get captured by Xykon and he would interrogate the information out of them, she said that they were dumb and stupid and she didn't want to talk to them.

It isn't in Serini's nature at all to pretend to agree to work with them before betraying them to Xykon. Doing that would require her to consider the idea that they might defeat him at least strongly enough to pretend to believe that it's true and help them plan for it, and she's in the mental space right now where such a thought cannot be entertained at all.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    On the one hand, I want to say that she would probably hang back and intervene if the Order starts actually heading toward the gate (Which Roy has already decided that they won't do, at least not on purpose). On the other hand, as of the last strip, I think she might just be so afraid of Xykon that she would panic and either hide or leave the gate behind and never look back. I don't think she has the courage to face Xykon at all right now, even under the intention of helping him (Especially seeing as he's likely to kill her just for funsies either way).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Um

I doubt Serini would betray the Order to Xykon. She's going through a lot of trouble to stop *anyone* getting harmed by Xykon, and if the Order goes to fight Xykon Serini likely won't even be in the room.

Unless your logic train is 'the order is gud and Serini is attacking them so Serini is def bad' which is going to be hard to argue against.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

And Serini is a halfling, so you could even call her a compact.
    Obligatory groan. (But I liked it!)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Serini has the same problem Redcloak does: she is invested in her plans for emotional reasons and is unwilling to change her plans when presented with evidence that workable or even superior alternatives exist.

Redcloak feels that if he changes his plans now he will lose his justification for past atrocities he has committed, and he's willing to commit new atrocities, like trying to murder someone who offers alternatives, in order to keep them.

Serini is deathly afraid of Xykon and feels she is inferior to the other gatekeepers whom he defeated, and so she is desperately trying to avoid another direct confrontation with Xykon, to the point of being willing to let him win.

V had this problem too. So did Tarquan, Nale, and Miko, for that matter. It seems to be kind of a theme in the comic.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe instead she will contour to the Order's way of thinking.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Maybe instead she will contour to the Order's way of thinking.
    Maybe she's born with it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe it's lies. It's probably lies.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Maybe it's Makebelieve.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2021-12-08 at 10:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Serini has the same problem Redcloak does: she is invested in her plans for emotional reasons and is unwilling to change her plans when presented with evidence that workable or even superior alternatives exist.

Redcloak feels that if he changes his plans now he will lose his justification for past atrocities he has committed, and he's willing to commit new atrocities, like trying to murder someone who offers alternatives, in order to keep them.

Serini is deathly afraid of Xykon and feels she is inferior to the other gatekeepers whom he defeated, and so she is desperately trying to avoid another direct confrontation with Xykon, to the point of being willing to let him win.

V had this problem too. So did Tarquan, Nale, and Miko, for that matter. It seems to be kind of a theme in the comic.
    It appears Roy is a character who made that mistake, but then grew as a character.
    -When he taught Xykon 1-on-1 on the zombie dragon, he was not in a position to win but he insisted on fighting because he felt he had to fulfill the oath and defeat Xykon.
    -After Durkon died, Roy went the other direction and was willing to quit until Belkar shamed him to continue.
    -Roy refused to believe vampire Durkon was evil, despite Belkar pointing out that he is.

It is a credit to Roy that he learned from each of those experiences, and now is a better leader.

Similar growth can be seen with Haley, Elan, Belkar, and the other members of OOTS.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Elan needs to start singing "How do you solve a problem like Serini?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I think Elan needs to start singing "How do you solve a problem like Serini?"
    No Showboating on the forums: let's call the whole thing off.

24. - Top - End - #24

Yeah, we need to start a new thread. This one started on a terrible foundation.

25. - Top - End - #25

It's true. No amount of concealer can hide it.

26. - Top - End - #26

GreenSorcererElf

So time to take some cleansers to this thread and start over?

27. - Top - End - #27

Yeah. Try one with a little more polish.

28. - Top - End - #28

No need to go rogue over a simple misspelling, I think we can gloss over it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

No need to go rogue over a simple misspelling, I think we can gloss over it.
    Let's not put lipstick on a pig. Really, let's face it: I don't think anyone needs to highlight how the beauty of this thread has been reduced to powder.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Let's not put lipstick on a pig. Really, let's face it: I don't think anyone needs to highlight how the beauty of this thread has been reduced to powder.
    Well now I just want to curl up and dye.