New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Theory Crafting a Blind/Mute Lawful Evil Unseelie Fey

Hi all thanks for joining.

I am currently in a long running campaign of about 5 years. I've been running a fun diplomancer artificer who's bent on creating a golem army to ensure world peace. Not evil at all. Anyways. It occurred to me the other day that when my character got frozen to stone by a Gorgon I was not invincible. So my brain started running over ideas of other character ideas just incase. I had been helping a friend at the time work on his character when I came across a barb rage variant that gave dex instead of strength in a Dragon Magazine. (insert issue # later). One thing led to another and I ended up in monk unarmed damage scaling lands. It was a dark time. But in the chaos I sifted through and came across Unseelie Fey. I talked it over with my DM and he was cool with letting me have it and specifically the 30 ft blindsight. It might come with a level adjustment. Not sure yet.

So I embarked on my journey through monk lands and stumbled across Fist of the Forest. The prestige class gives some nice roleplay into a person who would effectively be blind and have blindsight. Fist of the forest not only allows me to increase unarmed damage effectively, but I could be a creature that lived off the land. Would add to my feyness. Apparently, Fist of the Forest also have an bit about them being mute. If I did go the barbarian dex rage route would help with being illiterate. I stumbled across base race ideas like Were Direbat. Which would apparently give some nice dex bonuses if I stayed in hybrid all the time. I mean blind and mute living in the worlds don't think it'll bother me too much. I won't be staying in towns anyways, because of Fist of the Forest. So most times I would just leave my party at the gate and meet them again when they were leaving at the same gates. Or another whatever. I can prowl I suppose. Lot of the class ideas so far give good movement speed.

That brings me to the onslaught of feats and ways this could go. I could do mad foam rage and instantaneous rage go add to my every growing allure. Won't be that alluring as unicorn level rareness but with creep factor if I do go were direbat lol. Or monk's belt, superior unarmed strike, improved natural attack among others. Could add in Psychic warrior instead with access to expansion. I know there's further race options that can help or even skill routes to give more strength to my characters possible mysticism. There are AC stacking options, Dex stacking options, spell/item stacking (which I want to keep to a minimum. as living in the woods all my life doesn't really lend to having lots of material wealth. At least in my mind. Depending on routes I could even go Vow of poverty. Could be fun.

My DM is pretty open to out of the box ideas. Think he even enjoys them, playing them, and seeing them. As a DM I think he takes it as a challenge. It's fun for me. He's a great DM. I mean let's be honest he's letting my play a toned down version of a diplomancer artifcer bent on taking over the world with peace, but still letting me play it. My goal as a player is come up with a creative idea that'll maybe not be too overpowered, but just enough to help my other table mates see just how many options 3.5 has to offer. Wow them so to speak. I'm going to be doing plenty of leg work on my end, but I would love to hear any ideas you all may have. Know it's not much, but I do appreciate any help.

Character level would be level 10. I'm assuming it would be same wealth by level as per the table, but I can reaffirm with the DM just incase. The world that is built is this: The world has a secret group that seems to be trying to uncover or do something in the name of Iggwilv. (Hope I spelt that right). Apparently she is in lore, I looked up some excerpts about it, but didn't delve too deep as I didn't want to spoil things for me down the road in game. Please don't spoil <3. We're tracking down this secret group, thwarting them at every turn etc. Things are of course getting more and more progressively harder and expansive. We already have a werewolf in the group. I call him a our group spy, but he denies it. We have a half undead druid (I think? Not sure backstory isn't that open just yet. Player had to remake a character. Nothing on DM, but that character dies a lot in general.) So weirder ideas aren't too foreign.

Thanks again! Can't wait to see what you all have to suggest.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Theory Crafting a Blind/Mute Lawful Evil Unseelie Fey

First of all, I noticed you seemed to be talking barbarian and monk together, but I'm fairly certain this creates something of an alignment conflict, as I believe Monks are required to be lawful and Barbarians are required to be nonlawful. You could certainly progress the character in certain ways to allow both, but I would think the DM might have questions. It sounds like you've already talked with them about it, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware.

If you're just looking for things that work well with fist of the forest, psychic warrior is great, unarmed swordsage is very cool. In the Dragon Compendium, there is Battledancer, which is a sort of Charisma-monk, which might be more your style as an Unseelie Fey. With the character being mute, there's potential for working with the DM on a sort of communication-by-interpretive-dance kind of thing that might be really fun, as long as someone understands it.

The warshaper prestige class might make for some interesting times for an unseelie fey, taking the form of various beasts of the forest and amplifying your unarmed prowess. If your character is already going to be more-or-less giving up material wealth, shunning the ways of mankind or what-have-you, you might as well consider taking Vow of Poverty, flavoring it as a sort of Geas, perhaps.

All in all, I think you have a great concept to start with, and I'd love to see how this evolves.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shaurmiath View Post
    First of all, I noticed you seemed to be talking barbarian and monk together, but I'm fairly certain this creates something of an alignment conflict, as I believe Monks are required to be lawful and Barbarians are required to be nonlawful. You could certainly progress the character in certain ways to allow both, but I would think the DM might have questions. It sounds like you've already talked with them about it, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware.

If you're just looking for things that work well with fist of the forest, psychic warrior is great, unarmed swordsage is very cool. In the Dragon Compendium, there is Battledancer, which is a sort of Charisma-monk, which might be more your style as an Unseelie Fey. With the character being mute, there's potential for working with the DM on a sort of communication-by-interpretive-dance kind of thing that might be really fun, as long as someone understands it.

The warshaper prestige class might make for some interesting times for an unseelie fey, taking the form of various beasts of the forest and amplifying your unarmed prowess. If your character is already going to be more-or-less giving up material wealth, shunning the ways of mankind or what-have-you, you might as well consider taking Vow of Poverty, flavoring it as a sort of Geas, perhaps.

All in all, I think you have a great concept to start with, and I'd love to see how this evolves.
    Yea I realize there are alignment issues. You can always change alignments. My character in my main game is now Lawful Evil from Lawful Neutral after I took a level in Warlock lol. Also if I go monk first I just can't go monk again. I honestly think I would only take 3 levels anyways. Think that's all that's needed if I'm gonna unarmed damage stack with monk damage table. Don't really even know if I want barbarian. Just don't get a lot and I feel like this is going to be a feat hungry build. Can totally add flavor with some barb shenanigans, but I don't think I can afford the feats to make it really fun. Was thinking maybe some shadow step (moving from shadow to shadow could be fun with an item that permanently keeps darkness on me. Hard thing too I noticed is if I wanted Unseelie Fey and got Vow of Poverty I would have to backstory something like; (If I go monk which I think I may just start as, not sure though.)
    "Mother and some Fey creature got it on. She was apart of a monk hood and got kicked out for shagging. They could keep me and train me in their ways. Eventually monk place gets destroyed and I live in the wilderness to fend for myself."

Would explain vow of poverty, monk, unseelie fey, fist of the forest. I could add in a scary race like lyncathrope, but way too many levels needed. Think even goliath might be too much. Dunno about anything other than Human, but really open to suggestions. Pretty sure I need weapon finesse to make my dex deal damage on unarmed right?

BTDubs, totally checked out Battledancer. Loved that idea. Though about using whistles instead and going with not mute, but chooses not to talk because of years of solitude and the sound of my own voice is a strange thing so I don't speak. Totally freak out the party if I ever do speak lol. Could also go battledancer for two weapon fighting. Since battledancer's unarmed attacks don't function like monks since they don't get flurry of blows. They get dual wield fists xD. I might even take some levels in it for the full BAB. Since I need 4 to get Fist of the Forest.

I think with my remaining levels I'm gonna try and dex stack, but I'm looking for options right now. I think I'll have about 2 levels left to work with. So trying to figure out what to do with them. I could go item familiar to give me more sight as well. Going improved senses at level 10 would give me darkness vision 60 ft on top of the 30 ft blind sight. Maybe find ways to stack flat damage bonuses on top of my possibly high base damage.

Also, think I'm gonna stay away from shapechange stuff too much. Seems like a lot of it revolves around levels and items two things I can't really offer. Plus I got 3 shapechangers in the current main campaign group and don't think I need to add to that anymore. 4 if you count my character's 1/day polymorph stone.

This would be so much easier if I could get access to the monk's unarmed damage table while being a fighter.
    Last edited by Armyguyclaude; 2021-12-04 at 06:25 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shaurmiath View Post
    First of all, I noticed you seemed to be talking barbarian and monk together, but I'm fairly certain this creates something of an alignment conflict, as I believe Monks are required to be lawful and Barbarians are required to be nonlawful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armyguyclaude View Post
    Yea I realize there are alignment issues. You can always change alignments.
    Chaos Monk (Dragon #335) is Chaotic in alignment

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Can't find it readily on google. I'll look up the issue later. Would it give my fists Chaotic for purposes of bypassing damage reduction? Because so far I think I can apply magical, lesser ghost touch, good, and holy. Would love to figure out a way to add more to the list.

Also figured out some really nice Exalted feats I could get free if I went Vow of Poverty. Like Touch of Golden Ice which gives my attacks Dex drain! Sanctify natural attack gives me good aligned attacks, and Holy Ki Strike gives me holy as well as a hefty damage bump.
    Last edited by Armyguyclaude; 2021-12-04 at 10:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Can't find it readily on google. I'll look up the issue later. Would it give my fists Chaotic for purposes of bypassing damage reduction?.
    No, they got the "regular" Ki strike
    Their differences - besides the alignment - are:
    Flailing Strike - instead Flurry of Blows - roll d4, add that number of attacks (from 10th level - d6); to-hit penalty is -2 from the start, -1 at 5th level, and 0 at 9th
    Erratic Advance - instead Purity of Body - daze an enemy on charge (Will save) for 1 round; usable Wis mod/day times
    Displacing Stance - instead Wholeness of Body - got concealment for (your Chaos Monk level)/2 rounds per day (need not be consecutive)
    Freedom of Thought - instead Diamond Body - re-roll failed Will save against mind-affecting effect
    Anarchic Self - like the Perfect Self, but with Chaotic subtype

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Can't find it readily on google. I'll look up the issue later. Would it give my fists Chaotic for purposes of bypassing damage reduction? Because so far I think I can apply magical, lesser ghost touch, good, and holy. Would love to figure out a way to add more to the list.

Also figured out some really nice Exalted feats I could get free if I went Vow of Poverty. Like Touch of Golden Ice which gives my attacks Dex drain! Sanctify natural attack gives me good aligned attacks, and Holy Ki Strike gives me holy as well as a hefty damage bump.
    1. DR
    Don't spend build resources (class lvls, feats and stuff) on overcoming DR. That is a trap. It far better to go for overall dmg optimization that just ignores DR due to big numbers. The Magic Weapon Ability - Metalline will solve most issues if you really wanna focus on that aspect (e.g on a necklace of natural attacks).

2. Vow of Poverty
    Another Trap^^. At least considered by most people since it isn't a fair trade off in a "normal" campaign with regular access to character wealth and magic items. But if you know what you are doing, the trade can be worth it. It's not totally bad, but not as good as it looks on first sight.

3. being Blind
    Have a look at the Shadow Sun Ninja prc from Tome of Battle. It works around closing his eyes (or being blind by default) and blinding your enemies to get bonuses.

4. monk's belt, superior unarmed strike, monk's tattoo
    These don't stack with each other and overlap. Only one of these can be combined with Fist of Forest to "stack".

5. unarmed strike optimization
    If you are looking for optimization tips and tricks, have a look at my clawlock. Starts with a dip into Barb & monk and progresses unarmed strike together with warlock abilities. Gain Eldritch Claws and become a best predator like character.
    Also includes RP tips for the alignment change.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    You just helped me with a build I've been working on. Thanks for that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I looked at a lot of stuff since my last post. Sorry was busy with buying a house and holidays.

The more and more I try and theory craft this out the more and more I'm thinking I probably won't be able to do what I want. Just not enough feat slots and too many feats needed. Not sure how to counter it. My DPS will suffer a lot with this build if I go vow of poverty. But it does give me access to other good things. But I'm super confused over the requirements for Holy Ki Strike and Sanctify Strike. I definitely won't have enough feat slots to go Dex Barb unfortunately unless I only focus on that. Just trying to get my Base damage up with tricks is difficult. Improved Natural Attack and others. I used to have like 50 tabs pulled up among two screens of info and the more I tried to tie it all together and make an op guy the harder it was to do. I can't really do Batman either. The +3 LA is rough for Lycanthrope. May try to keep at it, but honestly might just throw this idea together for a one shot where we're much higher level. This way I can add in some spell resistance and such.

Thanks again for the help <3

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't get it: which alignment you're, actually, was intended to use: thread's name says "Lawful Evil", and Unseelie Fey is "Always evil", but [sanctified] feats required Good...