New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Snarl Endgame Theory

This may sound crazy, but hear me out. The gods need a new color the Snarl doesn’t have in order to trap it. It’s pretty clear Redcloak isn’t going to play ball on behalf of the Dark One to add purple to the other colors. Fortunately, there is another new color we haven’t seen yet…

Banjo.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Snarl Endgame Theory

Thor already knows about Banjo, so if that was workable, he'd have gone with that.

(I'm still rooting for the MitD to be some sort of divine creature that will be able to contribute).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Banjo is not yet powerful enough to offer his clerics 9th level spells.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Banjo is not yet powerful enough to offer his clerics 9th level spells.
    Not powerful enough... yet...

Banjo and Giggles have a pantheon started over on Orc Island. It's just a matter of time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geekdadsarcade View Post
    Not powerful enough... yet...

Banjo and Giggles have a pantheon started over on Orc Island. It's just a matter of time.
    Until the orcs switch god again? I agree.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #6

I apologize if it has been covered by another thread, but I wonder if 9th level spell slot from an elemental creed could work. I think of it like colorless mana.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I apologize if it has been covered by another thread, but I wonder if 9th level spell slot from an elemental creed could work. I think of it like colorless mana.
    This is a really interesting question that I don’t remember being addressed before. I genuinely don’t know how that would work. Do those spells have quiddities? Are they just a mixture of the three primary ones?
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't imagine that would work. The non-theistic clerics derive their power from various powerful elementals, who presumably were created by the gods. Thus, the spells cast by non-theistic clerics would be of one of the three known quiddities (or perhaps a mixture of all three), which wouldn't be useful for sealing the Snarl.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

9. - Top - End - #9

The Snarl origin story as told by Lord Shojo was never meant to be 100% accurate. Just like the origin of the goblin race.

For example, what about the undestroyed world with the ocean witnessed by both Blackwing and Laurin through the rifts?
    Last edited by faustin; 2021-12-12 at 08:47 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

This may sound crazy, but hear me out. The gods need a new color the Snarl doesn’t have in order to trap it. It’s pretty clear Redcloak isn’t going to play ball on behalf of the Dark One to add purple to the other colors. Fortunately, there is another new color we haven’t seen yet…

Banjo.
    That's almost genius... But you are wrong, Banjo lost his followers to the new god of slapstick... That's the new colour that will save everyone!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by gnomish dwelf View Post
    That's almost genius... But you are wrong, Banjo lost his followers to the new god of slapstick... That's the new colour that will save everyone!
    I'm willing to bet Banjo and Giggle's pantheon will be a new color.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can agree to that
    You are reading a group of ten completely false words...

____
    May the force protect you from the ill will of the nightmarish combat wombat.
    May you never feel prey to the urges of being a culture vulture...
    May you, above all and most importantly, have the luck to pat a nat cat.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Banjo was created by a follower of the northern gods (Elan) so even if he has any quididity, it would be yellow.

The Dark One is specifically a new color, because his followers where not followers of ANY of the established pantheons.

Let's be honest, if Banjo was going to be the solution, we'd have seen him do more than be a joke in the last 1000 strips or so (the first 100 don't count).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Banjo was created by a follower of the northern gods (Elan) so even if he has any quididity, it would be yellow.

The Dark One is specifically a new color, because his followers where not followers of ANY of the established pantheons.

Let's be honest, if Banjo was going to be the solution, we'd have seen him do more than be a joke in the last 1000 strips or so (the first 100 don't count).
    What about giggles?

____

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What about giggles?
    We've seen Giggles been anything less than a joke in the last 1000 strips?

Let's be honest, if someone worshipping a hand-puppet could solve the god's billennia-old problem, you really think nobody on the trillions of previous worlds would have come up with it yet?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's be honest, if someone worshipping a hand-puppet could solve the god's billennia-old problem, you really think nobody on the trillions of previous worlds would have come up with it yet?
    touche, touche indeed sir, you win the debate

____

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

To be fair, even in that vast amount of time (probably more like millions than trillions, though I guess we don’t have much data on which), it’s entirely possible that literally nobody has tried this specific thing before. It is kind of nuts.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Considering that making Banjo and Giggles relevant to this would essentially make the entire goblin subplot thing completely meaningless, no it probably won’t happen and I sure hope it never does.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-12-18 at 12:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

The problem is that for sealing the Snarl you need 4 colors, and colorless mana is, well, colorless.
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

20. - Top - End - #20

There are two current possibilities:

- Redcloak having a (dying) epiphanic moment where he realizes everything he did for the sake of the Plan was in vain, and agrees to Durkon's demands with a final 9 level spell.
    - Banjo and Giggles gaining self-awareness and divinity through worship and rewarding their "maker" Elan with their own quiddity.

At this point, I don't know which one is the less likely.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post

- Redcloak having a (dying) epiphanic moment where he realizes everything he did for the sake of the Plan was in vain, and agrees to Durkon's demands with a final 9 level spell.
    - Banjo and Giggles gaining self-awareness and divinity through worship and rewarding their "maker" Elan with their own quiddity.

There's been a few instances where Redcloak has struggled with either the Plan or his decisions or his alliance with Xykon.
    There has been no instances of Banjo/Giggles not being a joke dreamed up by a lone bard. (discounting the first 100 or so strips)

I can tell you which of the two I find less likely. :)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post

I know it will never happen but any number of mind-affecting spells V has access to could compel Redcloak to use a 9th level spell slot.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm...No. No, the plot is not gonna be resolved by a joke character who has been of actual importance exactly once.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrod View Post
    I know it will never happen but any number of mind-affecting spells V has access to could compel Redcloak to use a 9th level spell slot.
    Wouldn't actually help long-term. They'd need to KEEP spot-welding the Rifts as they show up, which means they'd need to get the goblins as a whole on their side.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Hm...No. No, the plot is not gonna be resolved by a joke character who has been of actual importance exactly once.

Wouldn't actually help long-term. They'd need to KEEP spot-welding the Rifts as they show up, which means they'd need to get the goblins as a whole on their side.
    Once Thor has proof of concept, everything changes though.

Oh and once that happens, the Dark One's best negotiating position is to kill Redcloak so he has no divine caster capable of 9th level spells on the material. Then the gods have to negotiate directly with him.
    Last edited by Nymrod; 2021-12-26 at 05:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Once Thor has proof of concept, everything changes though.

Oh and once that happens, the Dark One's best negotiating position is to kill Redcloak so he has no divine caster capable of 9th level spells on the material. Then the gods have to negotiate directly with him.

What? All TDO one has to do is stop granting him spells, and bam, same.situarion without killing one of the highest level clerics in the world, who also happens to serve him. Assuming he even could just up and kill Reddie - if that were something the gods could do with impunity, one might imagine Xykon would have been smitten some time ago.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Killing Redcloak is unnecessary. If the Dark One wants Redcloak to be unable to cast 9th level spells, he just needs to order Redcloak to inflict enough negative levels on himself to drop to 16th level.

Assuming he even could just up and kill Reddie - if that were something the gods could do with impunity, one might imagine Xykon would have been smitten some time ago.
    I'm pretty sure the main reason the gods don't generally go around killing mortals is because doing so would violate the Dumb God Laws. Since the Dark One hasn't signed onto the Dumb God Laws Agreement, the only thing stopping him from killing mortals is the threat of another god retaliating in some way. This obviously wouldn't apply if he killed Redcloak.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2021-12-26 at 05:40 PM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

And we really don't even know what exactly the Snarl is doing anyway, what with the world within the Rift. So I somehow don't think the actual endgame is to seal the Rifts.
    Last edited by Nymrod; 2021-12-26 at 05:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Assuming he even could just up and kill Reddie - if that were something the gods could do with impunity, one might imagine Xykon would have been smitten some time ago.
    Adding on to what InvisibleBison said, it's possible that the Dumb God Laws (not to mention the basic structure of reality in the OOTSverse) allow gods to kill their own followers without repercussions - rather like how Roy was allowed to attack "his own" high priest during the Godsmoot. In that case, it would be perfectly possible for TDO to kill Redcloak while not being able to just divinely shank Xykon.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

eh doesn't really matter. Rival rules remember? Banjo will grow in power to match his brother even if Banjo doesn't do anything.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm willing to bet Banjo and Giggle's pantheon will be a new color.
    To be fair, given the rules we've had described (for instance, the Elven Pantheon), Banjo would most likely be Yellow-derived as Elan is a Northerner, and therefore Giggles would also be Yellow.
    Alternatively, they're both Blue, because it only began getting worshippers from Southern Orcs.

Regardless, the central plotline is not going to be resolved by a joke character in a way such that the entire plot is irrelevant.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad