New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The MagCave Resurgent

Every evil genius needs a place of relaxation and quiet, a place to hoard his stolen loot, a place to scheme and plot. For Magtok, this has always been the MagCave. Drilled into the side of Mt. Enn, it served as his base of operations, living quarters, garage, and workplace. It has held damned damsels in distress, placed protagonists in perilous predicaments, and was once the fanciest-looking fortress in all of the Nexus.

For the longest time however, it has been abandoned. Magtok and all of his clones left the Nexus and their beloved lair behind. They built a space fleet and vanished into the stars, wandering across the cosmos for some nebulous, secretive purpose known only to them and their closest allies. A lot changed in their absence as they turned out the lights and left the cave to collect dust. Weeds and vines quickly swallowed up the foyer, deadly Mesozoic experiments ran wild through the halls, forgotten lab projects had no recourse but to eat one another to survive. Chaos, entropy and terror ruled the day in the crumbling, haunted fortress.

Years later, a brief civil war between clones within the star fleet left the Magtoks without functioning cloning vats or the infrastructure to build new ones. Their mission halted by this unexpected, self-inflicted brush with mortality, the MagFleet immediately hurried back home, sending down a scout to investigate the state of the Nexus and revitalize the original machinery that maintained their technical immortality. When that clone vanished under mysterious circumstances, they sent another. This clone has been considerably more successful, though not as much as the Space Hegemony would like. The beds are warm, the mutated wilderness and loose experiments may have been pushed back to the darkest corners of the lowest floors of the MagCave, and power has been rerouted to all of the basic essentials and creature comforts of our evil overlord, but the cloning vats are still non-functional even after all this time. Almost like that sneaky scoundrel of a scout set things up like this on purpose, like he's happy and thriving as the one and only real Magtok in the Nexus.

---

Lazing On a Sunday Afternoon

Today, that scout is absentmindedly tidying up, directing a series of drones to mop, scrub, and scour every inch of the massive ritual circle made of blood, salt, and chalk that took up the majority of the foyer last night. It's such a pain in the ass, trying to do business with devils. The bindings have to be precise, the syllables must be exact, and if even one of the dozens of overlapping geometric patterns is less than completely perfect...gods, and that's not even getting into how much of a chore getting enough blood for the ritual was. You'd think we were doing business with Riverside's vampire mafia again, with the stink that hung in the air all night. All of that prep work and exasperation, when the devils could've just bought cell phones like everyone else in the Nexus and settled this complete waste of time in minutes.

"Where would we even find a virgin cat goddess, anyway? Hell, even if one did exist, it'd be easier just to exterminate the stupid treasure-hunter ourselves," he grumbles, handing over a bloodied mop to one of the hovering janitorial drones for proper disposal. Once again, magic proves itself too much of a convoluted mess to bother with. Even the inept assassins he used to hire were never so haughty and demanding. The whole payment upfront, really? Ridiculous. The only bright spot in that entire wasted evening was when he opened a telewarp portal in their contact's plane of reality, one connected to the bottom of a lake he had instructed Needs to consecrate a few hours prior. To the best of his knowledge that portal is still open, and will remain that way for some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ghost in the Playground

Default Re: The MagCave Resurgent

Lazing on a sunday afternoon

"Whhatchaa doiiinnn?"

The little voice breaking the silence couldn't have been any more at odds with the bloody ring and demonic rituals, and that only served to make it sound all the more loud, annoying... and cute. Of course, that makes it quite easy to locate the source, seated atop one of the cleaning drones in a mess of wires that look like someone tried to hotwire a truck at the local 24 hour gas station. Standing half or less the height of an average humanoid, with big eyes, huge pointed ears, a long thin tail, and teeth like a shark, the creature bedecked in an outfit that looks like an industrial dancer took one two many trips through the local garbage compactor could only be one thing; A Goblin.

Well... except for the fact that they were a translucent light blue color with faintly glowing pink highlights. Closer inspection places them a little bit nearer to a slime that's been hit with several doses of shure-gel, complete with a dimly visible skeleton just under the surface. Of course, once you've been looking that long, you notice the smell coming off the little gremlin; fruity and artificial, with a faint hint of confectionary chocolate. She is, in fact, entirely made of candy. Well, apart from the sniper rifle that looks like it could be anti-ship ordinance, and the deep ops quality vibrablade knife she lazily flips through the air.

"Looks like your ritual didn't go so hot, huh chief? Forgot your payment, or were they just sending you for a ride?"

3. - Top - End - #3

Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon

Oh f***, a fae. Not even one of the cool spooky ones, like that Deer God bastard. No, this is a peppermint neon cyberpunk goblinoid...thing. A chaotic brat demon, like the one that harassed William Shatner's plane. I dunno, that's what it looks like, anyway. Hard to say for sure, classifying the supernatural is Needs' business. If he wasn't busy relocating his belongings off-site in preparation for Astrana's ghost-warding, maybe we could ask him about it, but as things stand, it looks like this is a pest we'll have to handle on our own. Quick Mags, take a quick mental inventory of all the weapons in your immediate vicinity, improvised or otherwise, and remember all the rules of fae negotiation Needs taught you. Don't give it a name, don't give it your name, don't assign it a title no matter how snarky or demeaning it might be, and do not, DO NOT, make promises, accept gifts, or welcome it into your home.

"They thought I was desperate, and that they could charge whatever they wanted. I was not, and politely declined," Magtok lies, looking up at the intrusive thing with unease and irritation. There's nothing polite about flooding someone's infernal demesne with potentially thousands of cubic miles of freshly consecrated holy water. I suppose if he really wanted to be a jerk he could've used an ocean portal instead, but it's still a bit of a strong reaction to someone charging more than you can afford for a service you don't actually need.

"So who the hell are you?" Magtok courteously and respectfully asks of the chocolate creature swinging a knife and rifle around his lair, taking a small step back as the distressed bleating of a cleaning drone hopefully hovers a meter or two away from him. It's hard to be sure how fast a thing like that can move, or how far it could jump, but I think we're out of its immediate lunging range. Not something we want to test out, obviously, but worst case scenario, we should have at least a fraction of a second to react now. instead of dying instantly should a bloodthirsty whim strike the confectionery construct.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2021-12-05 at 12:25 AM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ghost in the Playground

"I like your definition of polite! Ya need to work on how to fib to someone who's been watching you for no less then thirty minutes, though. You grumble to yourself a lot." the gummy gal plays a little with the wires as she talks, making the drone spin a couple times, then slowly lower down to the floor, where she steps off, sheathing the blade. For a moment, the goblin looks at the drone, before quickly tying a couple wires back together and sticking a metal plate back in place, after which the drone flies back to it's duties, albeit with an almost drunken flight path. "Oh fiddlesticks, musta got the wires to the object avoidance sensors jangled up. Oopsie!"

The goblin does a little heal turn, then stands with legs slightly farther than shoulder width apart, sticking out a hand. "The name's Eshaal Gummipumuckl! Putterthere, at least if ya ain't too 'spichious." The goblin gives a gigglesnort, then looks around the area. "I like how you've cleaned up the place! I was coming here for a while for some fun hunting. You wouldn't believe the size of some of the candy-virus beasts down below! Or, I guess maybe you would, if you hadta clean them up some. If you haven't, you miiigghhhttt wanna get a better door then the one out front put in on the lower levels." Somewhere in the distance there is a dim clatter of something big, heavy, and somewhat broken, as well as the sound of several automated repair drones trying to deal with it.

"I swung by cause I got a lull in clients, didn't even expect to find out that whoever was here first would be back!" The goblin whirls, gesturing to the whole area. "And who would have known that the one living here had such awesome taste. I saw it, and told myself 'Now there is a player I got to meet.' I dig ya' crib, friendo! So, what's the sitch' that's got ya begging to the emo plane for help? Those guys are a real drag anyways, always a treat to get a job dealing with one of them." Esha mimes aiming, then makes a pop sound, and giggles.

5. - Top - End - #5

Magtok sighs in exasperation. He's been fixing this place up for months and months. How in the world was this thing hunting on the lower levels for so long without him noticing? How did she go so long without noticing hi-

-oh right, of course, she can just pop in and out of places, like she did when she appeared here a moment ago. I bet you she hasn't even looked at the first three floors of this place in years. She's not beholden to telewarp beacons or walking around on foot like some kind of lowly mortal, and if Needs had any rituals in place to ward off fae from the floors we actually use, they were probably shut off today because of all the stuff getting moved around. Bluh, every single little thing always has to have some absurdly disproportionate consequence, doesn't it?

"I'm not going to try to shake that hand or pronounce that name, but at the same time, I can't justifiably complain about someone killing stray monsters in the sub-basements, either," he admits, though he certainly sounds like he wishes he had a case against Escher Gummi Mucky or whatever the hell her name is. If he could prove she was deliberately turning some of the escaped lab experiments into bigger, badder, candy-flavored abominations against the gods, maybe, but that would require venturing down into the sub-basements and running tests on the very monstrosities he prefers to pretend do not exist. Not worth it. What would he even do with the proof, wave it in her face and scowl as she poofs out of the room with a mischievous, mint-flavored giggle?

"There's a talking cat I've been hoping would just fade out of existence on his own for years, and he hasn't been courteous enough to let it happen. He's also got too many spare clone bodies, so going after him myself would just be a frustrating mess with needless collateral damage, like trying to use a jackhammer to deal with a termite infestation. It's not a drastic issue, nothing to sell my firstborn child over, just a mild headache I'd rather live without, a piece of food stuck in my teeth that refuses to budge. The devils didn't understand that, thought they had a lot more leverage than they actually did. I suppose most people willing to ask them their rates are that desperate, but they should've known I'm not most people." Honestly, with the turnover rate on Magtoks, and the wild inconsistencies in their deeds and sins, they must have at least a couple clones in their particular plane of eternal torment and agony. Not knowing anything about negotiating with MagClones was a frankly embarrassing unforced error, and why that holy deluge was absolutely necessary, and not us just being petty and cruel for the sake of being petty and cruel.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ghost in the Playground

"Ehh, have it your way! I'm not looking to deal in voodoo hoodoo myself, but if it makes you comfortable, then by all means put that hand down popsicle pal!" The goblin grins, the sucrose teeth glinting in the lairlight. Geddit? Popsicle? Cause you are ice cold killa'. Ehehehe! The gummy gal flashes a pair of finger guns at the Overlord with an overly dramatic ka-chow and then seems to eye Magtok up, as if really taking stock of them. Then, a mumble. "Could use more chrome, but definitely fits the bill as a boss.

Esha's head tilts as Magtok gripes, first about cats, then about devils. Afterwards, the candykin seems to stand up overly straight, and go into a mockingly businesslike spiel. "Well boy howdy partner, it might be your lucky day then! Because I work for cold, hard, cash. I can offer a free demonstration of practical lethality and violent potentiality some restrictions apply, must provide your own target dummies or drones, affordable and respectable payment plans in four different commonly exchangeable currencies now including gems, a money back guarantee, as well as a significant record of successful hits." The goblin reaches into a pocket, producing a portable holodisplay with a scrolling list of faces with marker Xs across each face, and flourishes a hand. Then, for a moment, she becomes distracted. "Oh, that one was fun. Immunity to conventional weapons, so I got to beat his brains out with the locking pin of the local millstones."

The goblin blinks, then snaps back to attention. "I might not be able to do anything about clones, but if it's sending a message you want, at the same time as shutting someone up, I can make a lucrative offer." The excessively over the top customer service voice goes away. "But just being frank here; I'm an assassin as a day job. You want somebody to vanish in a fine haze of blood, I'm your gal. Of course, if it's not that big a deeealllll, I can just hit the road." The goblin mimes heading toward the door, but very clearly is going the complete wrong direction from the way outside.

7. - Top - End - #7

Magtok puts a chrome hand to his chin. He idly wonders how this would play out if he paid the annoying goblin and then called up Reinholdt and warned him in advance about a duplicitous caramel killer. It'd probably make for quite the show, but there's no guarantee he'd ever get to see the show, so what's the point in stirring up a ruckus like that if you don't even get to see everyone's faces when they get worked up over it? Plus, Reinholdt would immediately suspect Magtok of being responsible for hiring the goblin, for playing both sides, because that's the kind of backstabbing, dishonorable chaos we've always enjoyed causing. It would be impossible to convince anyone we weren't pulling all the strings for our own amusement, and then all the HALO people plus Ashley Gummerpumpernickel would show up here, mad as hell and demanding revenge or recompense for the dramatic battle and confusing argument with hot fudge hitwoman that broke their stuff and shot their people.

We can't just send her away empty-handed either, however, because if we do that, her instincts are going to take her to the cat, who won't be nearly as interested in keeping the peace. Well...actually, we don't know that for sure, but we can't really risk it, can we? Our cloning situation is a lot less stable than the cat's, as uncomfortable as it is to admit that, and even the loss of one clone, this clone, could be dire. If he decides on a whim that it'd make for a funny prank to send the goblin our way, there's not a whole lot we could do to stop her without risking our own personal safety or that of others. On top of that, our memories aren't saved in the databank like the other Magtoks, so a death now would set us back by years of progress, as the next stupid asshat to descend from the fleet would have to squint at our notes and figure everything out again from scratch. Worse still, the new guy might be enough of an arrogant blowhard to kick our wife-in-everything-but-name out of the cave, since our brief chats with the fleet have told us the other clones aren't too keen on having Caelynn around. It's one thing to put our own life in jeopardy, but if someone's poor judgement might put our current favorite catgirl out on the streets...

"Do you charge extra for special requests? Like say for example, I wanted him captured alive and then eaten by zombies, similar to what happened to his son, or secretly irradiated until he can't have any more kids, or killed by an assassin disguised as one of his own clones to get them pointing fingers at each other and looking for impostors, would any of that be viable?" he asks, running a mental inventory on how much MagMart is projected to earn this Thanksmas season, now that online shopping and one-day teleportation shipping services are cutting into his profits. He should still have enough dosh lying around to cover this and still give out presents. We might have to save Raven and Jedrek's presents for next year, but Jedrek isn't into material possessions anyway, and Raven was probably going to burn anything we mailed her out of spite. That precocious little tyrant holds her everlasting grudges almost as passionately as her dear old dad.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ghost in the Playground

Lazing on a sunday afternoon

Esha stands and smiles like a slightly psycopathic child as Magtok thinks to himself, gently swaying from foot to foot. "Challenge modes? Well yeah of course we can work something out, my tin can biomechanical man! Though you might hold your tongue on prices; capture missions are covered in section 4:nonlethal services." With a flourish, the goblin pulls a rod from a pocket, flicking it into a holographic touchscreen not unlike a clipboard, before offering the device to the cyborg with a polite bow. "I think you'll find my standard terms and conditions are reasonable. I'm sure we can find an arrangement that is amicable."

The details on the holoboard are.. frankly quite reasonable. Almost cheap, in fact, as if the gal was coming from a place where there were market forces driving a good assassination's price down. There is a section on death style and flair as well as the stated section for nonlethal services that includes recon, espionage, nuisance destruction, and even distractions. Prices are a low flat rate with a small per hour working cost, and an equipment fee that can be waved with access to an appropriately equipped weapons and chemical facility. There are specific notes that collateral damage amounts desired must be specified, and paid for in advance in certain cases. (If you are good at killin' don't do it for free!) Interestingly there are also a list of no-gos, including spontaneous killing (I ain't killing someone cause they insulted you while we were walking together. Plan your petty vengeance!) as well as a section on less then 100% money refunds in the case of extremely insurmountable odds that were not disclosed prior to contract.

It's all very surprisingly organized and professional. Or rather, it would be, if the whole thing also didn't look like a college age baker girl's first cookie company menu, complete with hearts, stars, and a gloriously bubbly title font. Even the section on defining "incredible violence" has a small cartoon animation included in the holofile. The typical hit methods appear to be nonmagical, and there is a clause noting that circumventing antifae warding doesn't usually cost extra, because it usually doesn't affect Esha anyways. "So whadaya say, bosso my boi? If you are still feeling a bit cold footed- heheh geddit, cause a robot leg? then we could always start with a bit of nonlethal shenanigans. In case the deal aint' sweet enough, I'll even take a trip down below and pick up a couple or four candy beast eggs to place somewhere inconvenient for your target or targets, just 'cause I like ya!" The candy gremlin gives a big wink and another snapping double pistol fingers flourish.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

[Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon]

More goblins enter the scene. Far more typical and mundane goblins, this time. Three of them, two of whom Magtok may recognize - but probably not, because that would imply effort in telling the goblins apart. Regardless, one would be Olvisin, who accompanied him during the fateful encounter with the boomerangutan. The other is Alzup Razortooth (no relation), the leader of the goblins who work as security in the MagCave. The third one's gender is hard to discern under layers of protective clothing and what looks like a gas mask. It appears to be the goblins' alchemist. Taciturn and cagey as any goblin alchemist when around topsiders who might glean their secrets.

The two of them whose faces are visible are put off by seeing a... blue goblin.

"That's not one of ours," the alchemist says, her (?) voice muffled by the gas mask.

"Yeah, no kidding," says Alzup. He's a fairly muscular (for a goblin) man with a military-style short haircut, brown skin and red eyes. He's wearing a heavy breastplate with a padded jacket underneath.

"Is there any trouble, sir?" Olvisin asks.

Olvisin did not have cyber-arms when Magtok saw her last, though this once again depends on how much attention he's paying in the first place.
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-12-05 at 05:25 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #10

"Everything's fine, the situation is under control," Magtok answers, waving a dismissive hand at the goblins, too busy scrolling through the holoboard to actually look up and confirm who just dropped by. I guess that means he recognizes one of the goblin voices, or maybe he has a surveillance camera to look through, or he can see from the perspective of one of the cleaning drones still scrubbing away the last smudges left behind by that infernal blood ritual.

"Non-lethal capture might work best. How exotic and dangerous are you willing to go after he's captured and still call it non-lethal, though? Tied up and naked in a ditch on the side of the road? Buried alive in a shallow grave, in a coffin full of centipedes? Superglue a webcam and wireless earbuds to his forehead and ears, tell him a bomb has been implanted in his chest, and have him run a gauntlet of humiliating and legally incriminating challenges in exchange for his safety and freedom?" our supposedly retired supervillain wonders aloud, his face largely neutral, his lips graced by only the faintest hint of what might become a smile someday. Mag, I uhh...I don't know if you should be saying all of this within earshot of the goblin mercenaries. They might be getting paid to be here, but they're not getting paid that much, and if any of them knows the cat personally...probably not, but a little discretion is in order, don't you think?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ghost in the Playground

Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon.

Esha, on the other hand, does manage to give more than a cursory greeting to the newcomers, balancing on one leg and reaching the opposite hand way up high to wave excitedly at the three newcomers. "Heyya, hi there! Just working out a business arrangement, hate to be a gobstopper here, but we'll need to wait on introductions until the chrome limp biscotti here is allll done reading an' thinking." The avatar movie looking little gremlin turns back to Magtok, nodding along and listening carefully as he goes on.

"Oh certainly, although more brutality might trigger the cost function code detailed under 'perscribed excessive violence.' I also offer free brainstorming sessions, as well as a 'figure out the next difficult task' as you go payment plan. Non-lethal, however, is a hard agreement that they won't die. I take pride in not doing more work than what was paid for, and executing someone is almost always the more expensive option. This is a day job, after all!" Esha carefully taps a few times on a smaller holoscreen, highlighting several sections of the term of service agreement that pertain to Magtok's questions. "Beyond that, it sounds like your target might be easily manipulatable through conventional means... Which gets you a discount 'cause idiots are fun to toy with. Normally this is where I would share complimentary drinks, but I didn't really expect to be selling out on a hunting trip, so I only brought the small work contact package. Unless.... Do you like gummy flavored water? That's a drink, right?" The gremlin rubs their chin, seemingly lost in thought.

Then, Esha steps back a little, giving Magtok some space to think, and offering a hand to the newcomers. "Hihi there lookalikes! My name is Eshaal Gummipumuckl, don't wear it out! You all look like you are going to a kick-butt party? Where's it at, I'm down for some party crashing. Do they allow explosive rounds?" The blue candy vibrates softly up and down, then blinks and scowls. "Hold on, if you all are alllll naturalll...." The flair on the last bit sounds almost like someone attempting to act fancy. "Or, at least mostly, lady lifter arms excluded, does that mean your world's goblins weren't systematically hunted down and experimented on? That's like... wicked great news, my sisters and brothers from anotha' parallel timespace." Ehsa furrows their brow, seeming to think for a bit out loud. "I wonder what that make's this world's candy king, and if I still owe him a ginger soda with a gold stopper." Esha shrugs; debts could wait till tomorrow... she had work to do today.
    Last edited by Aurora Alchemi; 2021-12-08 at 05:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

A look of consternation passes Olvisin's and Alzup's faces. It also presumably passes the alchemist's face, but it's not visible under the mask.

"That's... well, there were attempts to hunt us down..."

"But I don't know about any experiments."

"Let's focus, boss. We are this place's security detail. And by the sound of it, you're a freelancer being hired by our client to ruin someone's day."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Candy Goblin View Post
    "Beyond that, it sounds like your target might be easily manipulatable through conventional means... Which gets you a discount 'cause idiots are fun to toy with."
    "I'll pass on drinks, but yeah, if you can find the right levers to pull, he's absolutely an idiot," Magtok chuckles, trying to imagine this horrible zoomer creature trying to charm the cat. It's an absolutely incredible mental image, and that alone might be worth the price for putting all this nonsense together. "Seriously, dress up a little and bat some eyelashes and he'll happily follow you all the way to a shady motel room with a bathtub full of ice without question."

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin With Robot Arms View Post
    "Let's focus, boss. We are this place's security detail. And by the sound of it, you're a freelancer being hired by our client to ruin someone's day."
    "And yes, that's exactly right, Olvisin," Magtok nods without turning around to face her or the other gobbos. "Just making sure, you didn't lose your arms here, did you? Those new ones don't look like my design, and I'm pretty sure I would remember the double-amputee screams if something happened downstairs." Then again, the gobstopper has been using the depths as her own personal hunting grounds and he didn't know a damn thing about it until today, so who knows?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ghost in the Playground

Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon.

"Sounds good, my sliver and sinister squeeze. I didn't want to have to cut off a finger for drinks anyways, It's kind of a hassle to grow back." Esha gives a wink, then digs through her pockets before pulling out a small tube. Rolling it out into what appears to be a self filling scroll, she presses a few spots to flip past two forms that say 'Baking dealer' and 'Weapons manufacturer' before settling on one that says 'Mercenary services.' Offering it to Magtok, she points a few things out. "Standard autofilling formwork for the final contract. It's no rush to worry about it now anyways, this is quantum linked to my dispatching equipment, so when you want to propose updates, just refill and close the scroll to send it on over. When you've figured out what you want to go down at least partially, send the equipment funds and refundable deposit, as well as signing with your Jill Metacarpus-hen at the bottom." The candykin gives a small flourish. "Contract grade names only, please. I'm not looking to geas someone, but it's gotta make it past a lawyer."

The goblin claps her hands. "Settup shouldn't take too long, though from the sounds of how you describe him, Imma need to pick myself up a new waistcoat suit, some sort of clockwork toy, and... uhhh.. Probably a pipe wrench. For the levers, ya' know?" The chaotic being gives a small giggle that leaves it entirely uncertain as to what the little beast has planned. She moves on pretty quickly, however. "As for the target themselves, I know you might be on the electric fence, but could ya' charge up and give me the details off your main processor? Nombre, where they are, what affiliations, favorite brand of nail polish.... You feel? The important binary digits to plug in my memory." Esha seems to be, quiet shockingly well, multitasking, writing up a list of potential supplies, and somehow managing to give a reasonable price range for each, all into a simple holoscreen notepad. They were... budgeting.

However, the moment wanes. "I think that's most of my deck ends sorted in suits, but I feel that the life in this room is fizzling a bit. 'Sides, it's holidays, and was gonna be my day to relax. You all up for a spot of sport hunting or target range practice? I still owe a demonstration of managing multiple munitions in mangling a menagerie, I'd love to see what Doc cyberholiday has up his sleeve to blow people away, and I wouldn't miss a chance to check the gear and skills on a group of genuine galloping goblin goons. What I'm really saying is... Ya'll wanna have some pre thanksmas competitive fun?!" The chocolate cored cretin flashes another look at crystalline carnivorous teeth, thumb motioning to the rifle on her back.
    Last edited by Aurora Alchemi; 2021-12-11 at 11:35 PM. Reason: missed color flair!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"No, I got them of my own free will," Olvisin says proudly, flexing her metal arms. "They're great, aren't they? So much better than my old fleshy ones. And that's just the start."

Alzup gives a long-suffering sigh.

"So you've told everyone who saw them so far. Anyway, unless our client here minds, blowing up some wandering monsters down below or target dummies shouldn't be a problem."

16. - Top - End - #16

Subterranean Sugarbeast Safari

Quote Originally Posted by Sinful Cinnamon & Nutmeg Nutcase View Post
    "You all up for a spot of sport hunting or target range practice? I still owe a demonstration of managing multiple munitions in mangling a menagerie, I'd love to see what Doc cyberholiday has up his sleeve to blow people away, and I wouldn't miss a chance to check the gear and skills on a group of genuine galloping goblin goons. What I'm really saying is... Ya'll wanna have some pre thanksmas competitive fun?!" The chocolate cored cretin flashes another look at crystalline carnivorous teeth, thumb motioning to the rifle on her back.
    Magtok affixes Esha with his most weary and exasperated looks, before signing his name on the line (just 'Magtok,' no need to over-complicate this by specifying which one) and checking the underside of the tablet for a USB port to plug a flash drive full of material on the cat's organizational affiliations (HALO), his weaknesses (young and vulnerable women, catnip, grave-robbing adventures), and a handful of known powers and abilities (turning into a talking cat/human, shooting things with a rifle, exploiting a wide array of magical items collected over the course of his adventures). It's just for one day, Magtok tells himself. One day of interacting with this half-price hot chocolate hatchetwoman and then he'll never have to see her face again, and the cat will be put in his place for that 'call all HALO members into one-on-one private meetings' business that he never bothered to respond to.

As for that other thing Eshe and the other goblins were talking about, Magtok lets out a heavy sigh, opens up a compartment in his left forearm, and produces a bizarre revolver that looks like some gamer's purple RGB keyboard vomited all over what used to be a normal, functional firearm. It's also barely large enough to fit comfortable in his hand and missing a trigger. He pops open the cylinder, drops what look like bright, colorful jellybeans made of steel into each of the six chambers, and gives the wheel a spin, before the weapon disappears back into his left arm again.

"Hell with it, it's been too long since I killed something myself instead of paying someone else to do the job, might as well," he shrugs. "You seem to know the depths better than I do somehow; you have a fast way to get us there?" he asks Eshe, hoping to skip past the usual monuments to his apathy and indolence he has to stroll by every time he needs something from below. You can only walk past the same broken laboratories so many times before the shame gets to be too much. This place used to be pristine, you know. Top to bottom, everything gleamed and every living or non-living thing in it knew who was boss. Now...well look at us, we're mounting a damn safari into the lower floors. Going on a hunt with a fae into what used to be just another part of his house. Disgraceful. We really ought to have hired a house-sitter or something.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ghost in the Playground

Esha gives a happy clap, before pulling the sniper off her back, and doing a 30 second field strip and check, before putting it back together just as quickly. Pulling the bolt back, she loads a cartridge that looks to completely custom and about the size of a banana before giving a chuckle. "Saw-weeeaatttt. This is gonna be sick nasty yo. Just remember accuracy is key here; each beast has three or four cores, and hitting pretty much anything else isn't gonna do hardly anything. Standard regenerator shpeel, you know the drill I'd guess. Usually I'd just eat 'em myself, but I'd recommend you all don't, unless you want to start havin' some candy bits. The virus isn't contact or airborne infective, so just don't rub a candy core in an open wound and you'll be fine." Putting the rifle back, she eyes the revolver, and gives a gentle appreciative nod. Clearly the candy clad cavalry wasn't the only one who dappled in esoteric custom tools.

"As for getting down, normally I'd take the vents, but I think that you all might have a little trouble getting through the turbine blades in the air impellors. Though there is a second option!" Esha leads the way, before pulling up a map on her holowatch. "Most of the trash shoots lead to an incinerator, but this one over here looks like it was originally routed somewhere below for non-incinerating waste disposal. I expect it's just fell into disuse 'cause recycling the scrap is important when you gotta clean up, but the underground jungle turning the lower level into a carnival funhouse made the landing a lot softer. Puffball mushrooms THIIIISSS big around." Esha waves her hands roughly up to Magtock's waist, before scampering over and moving a few panels out of the way of a chute in the corner. A while back, it would have had some functional belts, but now it was little more than a polished slide of a tube.

"This will get us down just fine, but we'll need to fight our way back to a door to get out. Which I mean, isn't an issue for me, but if you aren't up to it, you can tap out now. I hunt the beasts 'cause I can test my weapons, and the extra candy functions as a sorta extra life for me. Plus it's good eatin', very exotic on some of it. Your biolabs must have been pretty high class to produce some of that stuff, chrome captain!" Esha pauses for a moment, looks over group, and gives a shrug. The landing here wouldn't be soft per say, but it was livable, and they did ask her to lead. Whatever. "YEET" With a yell and a backflip, the gummy gal disappeared into the darkness of the refuse shoot.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Did she seriously ask us to jump down a garbage chute?" Olvisin asks, hovering somewhere between being incredulous and impressed.

"At least she jumped in first."

"We still haven't properly mapped out some of the lower levels."

19. - Top - End - #19

"Alright, remember what she said about glowing weak spots, and try not to let her melt your brain every time she opens her mouth," the cyborg remarks, making a mental note to find the zoomer who introduced 'yeet' to the Nexus and have them fired out of a cannon for . He lingers outside the trash chute for a moment, and after peering in to confirm that Esha hasn't died in screaming agony on the other side, he follows suit. Normally he'd be a bit more hesitant to follow anyone down into a garbage pit, but hell, if Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill can do it, why not our cyborg? It's a little late to be cowardly backing out of things, and how could we possibly live with the shame of letting a screwy sucrose soldier of fortune look more at home here than the cyborg who actually built and lived in this place?

"Oh, and try not to die. Your boss is going to be very cross if I'm struggling to hold back laughter while explaining how you got killed by a rogue chocolate," he adds, before tossing himself feet-first into the vent, so that he can comfortably hold onto his gun and have a decent view of whatever horrors are rushing up to meet him on the way down.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ghost in the Playground

The chute ride is fairly straight and uneventful, at least until the last two levels that it passes through. There the signs of creeping decay and reclaiming nature had warped the chute slightly, and in a few places there was clearly some strange spatial temporal shenanigans going on. The second change is in the air itself, which becomes thick and heavy, hot like a jungle, with a cloying mist that limits vision through the underground labs and research areas. Esha didn't lie about the puffballs, which had a wonderfully soft airy and bouncy quality to them; which would have been almost like a pile of pillows, were it not that they also had the surface texture of warm cottage cheese crossed with flesh.

Indeed, the lower area seems to be filled with things that blur the boundaries of animal, vegetable, and mineral in concerning ways. The room the chute originally exited into appears to have been an old warehouse, though now it is overrun with junglesk greenery. One of the walls is completely knocked down, giving views into what look to be bio-labs, where creatures that look like a carrot's idea of a cross between a hermit crab and a jumping spider scurry here and there, wearing defunct beakers and lab glass as makeshift shells. A small group of what look to be liquid metal rabbits graze in a field of flowers that are concerningly toothy, and their reflective surface half-flashes from the yellowy pulses of warning beacons rotating in the labs. The whole roof of the dilapidated floor seems to be covered in a strange fungal or fleshy mass that pulsates in a sickly maroon hue like a cuttlefish, which seems to be the source of light for the greenery. The air smells of sulfur, moisture, and petrichor, with a bizarrely sweet and metallic aftertaste not unlike antifreeze.

Esha crouches not far off, next to a damaged emergency isolation door, examining claw marks in the steel. The door is folded inward like a used paper cup in a manner that would make a breaching charge look tame, and the goblin keeps one hand on her rifle as she examines it. "This is new. Looks like at least two carnivalfexs, plus some other things running around. We could try hacking the nanobot symbiotes but it's hard to get them to stand still." Esha motions to one of the liquid metal rabbits. Closer examination near the wall reveals some writing that mentions Exploration Team 316 Rally point this way -->, followed by a hasty scratch into the wall that says SYMBOLS HAVE BEEN COMPRO- and ends in a long drag mark. There is a concerning amount of brass littering the ground, though there are no signs of bodies or bullet holes. Here and there, one or two of the shells look similar to what goes into Esha's weapon, but the vast majority are not. Mercifully, the signs of the entry team look older than the damage to the door.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

[Subterranean Sugarbeast Safari]

The goblins go down the chute surprisingly gracefully. Goblins are pretty good at squeezing into odd places and tumbling down. They spring into readiness as soon as they exit the chute. Olvisin is toting two handguns that would certainly be too heavy for her if she didn't have cybernetic arms. Alzup is holding a long rifle with a bayonet on its end and there seems to be a foldable shield on his left arm. The alchemist has no weapons but is holding a bottle of some bright yellowish green substance.

"Well, this is new. What happened here?"

"We should probably be real careful about using any kind of fire in here... this place will probably go up like a match."

22. - Top - End - #22

Magtok frowns. That wouldn't have been his entry team getting obliterated down here. Those aren't his symbols, and he sure as hell doesn't have any official Exploration Teams plumbing the depths of his own lair. A few people from MERC keeping the more troublesome stuff from venturing to the surface, sure, but not this. Who the hell were these people? What kind of hubris brings someone down here, to the MagCave? Esha, he can understand, because she's clearly adventurer material, with just a bit more professionalism and business sense than your average murderhobo, but the kind of people who organize rally points and form Exploration Teams are supposed to be smarter than this. They should know better than to march squads to be eaten alive in the bowels of an abandoned laboratory that had been managed by a madman with nigh-infinite lives, boundless scientific curiosity, and no fear of death. Really, if Magtok himself is reluctant to spend much time down here, when he has encyclopedic knowledge of every single thing that was down here when he left roughly seven years ago, what chance could some security company punks ever have?

"Have you ever invited anyone down here before?" he asks the tour guide bluntly, before rubbing his prosthetic eye with a sleeve. Ugh, and now the goddamn humidity is fogging up his vision. He's going to have to do something about this later, maybe send a bunch of drones back here with flamethrowers and firebombs for mildly inconveniencing him like this. Gonna burn the whole floor to ashes for daring to be so moist and acrid, leave a scorched ruin as an example to all the rest, then come back with more drones and burn the survivors a second time, just to be safe. Yeah, that'll show them.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ghost in the Playground

Esha shakes her head softly, gently sweeping one of the hallways while looking down the scope of her weapon. "No dice there from me, captain chromium ion. Those teams were here and got completely worked over long before I got here. Looks like whichever group it was had a compound that was messing with stuff above their paygrade, ended up messing with the temporal areas. I'd guess they don't have any idea how they got themselves into this mess, much less how to deal with anomalies in a reasonable way. Either way, I don't waste brass like that." The goblin pauses before standing and then looking around, an air not unlike a ranger tracking prey about their general area.

"I wouldn't worry about fire too much for the burning, but let off any sort of energy discharge like that and you are begging to get covered in one of the biomats. Right now they are fairly peaceful just sucking on the light fixtures, but I've seen them eat an automated laser turret in seconds. Kinetic projects are your friend, as is accuracy. Oh, and CQC, if you like that part." The candykin flashes a toothy smile, before an ear twitches. Somewhere in the distance there is the sound of a dull roar, and then a number of vaguely humanoid gummy creatures wearing the candy equivalent of military uniforms begin to peek around corners and make slightly gurgling sounds. In total, maybe two dozen or so seem to be in varying degrees of shambling or hiding poorly.

Esha gives a small laugh and a shrug. "Soured patch boys. It ain't much of a start, but it is a start. Not much to say about these ones, it's basically dumb zombie protocol." Esha calmly walks toward the group of creatures as she talks, rifle propped lazily on a shoulder. The closest, with a military emblem bearing a fox with a number of extra tails, growls and surges forward, which Esha responds to by putting a clawed hand through their head. Drawing the claw back out, and flicking a decent amount of caramel goop off her hand, Esha holds up a baseball sized candy orb. "Weak point, Capeesh?" The orb is deposited into the candy jaws of the little gremlin, and Esha starts to walk toward another with the attitude one might of pulling up veggies.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Shooting living candy. Now there's something to put on my resume." Olvisin raises her pistols and snaps off two shots, each aimed at the head of a gummy-creature. Alzup simply shakes his head and dispenses with banter, firing off a shot from his rifle, also aimed at the head. The alchemists hangs back, her arsenal poorly suited to the task. She prefers to conserve it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Much like the alchemist, Magtok also draws back. It's less about conserving resources for a better time and more about switching them out, however. There's some more appropriate bullets for his revolver than the ones he's loaded into it, and it'd be a bit of a pain in the neck to swap them in closer to the action, where gummy zombies are closing in, trying to...I don't know, glop their soft bodies over their heads? Nibble on his extremities? Leak acid on the group? Precisely what kind of threat are these things meant to pose, if any? I suppose we could always nudge one of the goblins in front of a lunging gummy soldier to find out, but that would be a waste of a perfectly good meatshield, wouldn't it? Heck, it'd be a waste of more than one, because the others would certainly rebel if they caught us murdering one of their own for a science experiment. No, it's a fascinating mystery, but solving it isn't that important to us.

I could also just ask Esha, since she's dealt with them before, Magtok thinks to himself, sliding in new bullets and sprinkling an orange powder into his revolver that smells vaguely of blueberries and ozone, before snapping the wheel shut and shaking his head. Nope, better to spend the rest of his life in ignorance than give her a reason to start talking again. Every single word out of her mouth is like knives on the ears, and it's not even the sound of her voice that does it, it's just her choice of words, the accursed nature of her unholy vocabulary and syntax. He steadies his arm and opens fire on a stray sour patch shambler, which neatly lodges itself in the creature's neck and then boils the gelatin around it, liquefying just enough for the head to fall neatly to the ground beside it.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ghost in the Playground

The dullard saccharine zombies fall like chaff before the group, posing as little threat to a group of prepared and well organized individuals as dawn of the deadly's textbook brainless mook. It's at least interesting to take a look at the sugar uniforms and hazard a guess as to what the sugary fallen used to be, but even that is somewhat lacking on the stimulation front. Esha is quite clearly bored, even as her focus and efficiency shines, dancing from one gummy adversary to the next in a ballet of caramel and gusher juices. As the ground starts to look like a Jackson Pollock painting in hues of neon and candy, Esha clearly wastes no time in garnishing more than her fair share of candy core snacks. It's a scene that would make a grindhouse movie proud, with no less than 5 of the sugar shamblers falling in varying states of dis...candyment? Either way, it's a brutal show of the mercenary's ability to focus on a task.

Luckily enough, the environment is more than target rich, with a few more toylike soldiers oozing out of the labwork here and there to join the fray. If there used to be a semblance of intelligence in the group, it had long since dissipated due to madness or atrophy, and the vaguely tactical maneuvers of the enemies appear to be mostly parroting the original practices of the strike team without really knowing how to apply them. A good head count means that each of the combatants probably has 4 or 5 sugar beasts to contend with, though that number is probably dwindling rapidly. Of course, noise does not often go unnoticed, and a watchful eye might notice some of the labware rattling, and soft ripples moving through the pools of liquid. The less watchful, however, would probably notice the deep rumbling roar that sounds almost as if it came from an excellent set of movie theater speakers with the way it seems to peal through the halls and resonate with one's ribcage.

At the sound of the roar, Esha switches gears from fun times, to serious mode. As one blue ear flicks, the girl does a backflip over a lab table, whipping out the rifle and slapping it into a braced shooting position, vision trained on the fair wall. "We've got company, ETA 30 seconds, ten o' clock. Show's starting for real now." Of course, the remaining gooey soldiers don't just go away because of a roar, but with so few remaining at that point, they may as well be crossfire fodder.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin ears are quite sharp and these three goblins are very accustomed to listening to important sounds over the rattle of gunfire or whatever else might be happening. The alchemist does finally use something from her arsenal, throwing a concussive grenade in the midst of the gummi-monsters. If something else is coming, best to be rid of them quickly. If this works to clear out the remnants of the enemy force, the two other goblins will train their weapons in the same direction as Eshe.

28. - Top - End - #28

Magtok steps forward, reaches into a pocket, pulls out what looks an awful lot like blue sidewalk chalk, and draws a quick semi-circle in front of himself. A nanite barrier crackling with electricity emerges from the marking on the floor, and then immediately shuts itself off with a click of a button on Mag's palm before any of the locals can take notice. He was originally planning on using this nanite chalk as a sort of portable cover generator, to shield himself with an energy barrier in a gunfight, but what Eshe said has him considering another possibility here. We've got hungry biomats looking for something to chow down on, huh? Let's make them do our job for us, then.

"Lead it this way!" he calls out. "Big thing just needs to stand on this exact spot here," he signals, before retreating back, elbowing a gummy soldier to the ground before plugging its face full of holes with his gun.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ghost in the Playground

After the great blast of the concussion grenade, there is a pregnant pause, filled with little more then the sound of caramel, chocolate, and candy cherry dripping off of lab tables and walls. Eshaal's eyes dart over to Magtok's plan in progress, and there is a nod of acknowledgement, though her senses remain trained on the area on the far wall. As a trepid silence falls on the area, it becomes apparent that the multicolored glowing biofilms are pulsing gently, ribbons of color flowing across them in a rhythm not unlike ripples in a pond. Focusing on them, it becomes apparent that there are subtle vibrations, making it through even the significant movement and sound dampening built into the first rate labs. Slowly Esha's finger squeezes, a smooth, calm pull, just barely beyond the break point of her rifle's action, longarm and mercenary one and the same.

Then the silence breaks in a dies irae of sound, shrapnel, and violence. The first sound is a high pitched shriek as long ebon black scythes pierce through the bulkhead of the blast doors, shredding through metal and concrete like a knife through hot butter. The sound is almost disorienting loud, some form of a supersonic cutting action built into the black sugar blades, combining with a strength rivaling titans as doors easily half an arm's length thick are cut and bent away like a soda can. Impressively, the force causes some of the hardened metal to explode under stresses, while softer portions heat to bright crimson in the throws of friction. As the vicious claws pull the wreckage apart, a beast that could stand easily several stories tall stoops into the hole, crawling into the thinner labs like a badger squeezing into an anthill. It looks for all the world like it's half beast, half alien, slavering maw leaking a lime colored fluid that wilts the biomat on contact and steams.

Esha doesn't miss a beat, however, the rifle ripping a response. There is a deep vrap, a streak of white hot ionized air, and the smell of ozone as she pulls a clean shot through one of 8 glowing pink orbs about the size of large jawbreakers. She tumbles back, not pausing to look at the effect of the railgun's shot, but instead ripping out another round and replacing the single shot. The clean shot leaves, for a moment, a mediocre looking hole about the size of a gold coin clean through the beast, which rapidly seals shut as vibrant blue glowing fluids gush into place and harden into more black-purple plating. A glimpse just beyond shows that the underwhelming nature of the shot wasn't the railgun's fault however, as a head sized white hot hole pierces through the hardened steel plating of the wrecked door like someone had thrown a portable hole onto the surface. "Look alive, the heavy armor's gotten better!" Esha begins to line up another shot, guiding the beast toward Mag's trap as the creature surges forward, faster than anything that large has a right to be.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"What the fuuuuu-" Olvisin's curse is drowned out by the ungodly noise of the metal door being ripped to pieces. "None of our weapons can hurt this thing!"

"They don't have to. Just stick to the plan!"

The goblins open fire with their three guns, while the alchemist lobs an incendiary bomb full of sticky, burning substance. The purpose is more to irritate the creature and lure to where it needs to be than do any lasting harm.