New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The MagCave Resurgent

Denied the Choir Nyanvisible

"That... certainly would... explain things," Caelynn agrees between grunts of effort. Hauling up 150 pounds of significant other is still fairly difficult, especially if said SO doesn't chip in and help with it either. Magtok goes up and over, and the doctor falls on her rear with an "oof" before scrambling up to her knees and rushing to Magtok's side.

"Alright - okay, this doesn't look too bad..." Some of the urgency and worry fades from her voice even as Caelynn goes about tearing strips of cloth out from Magtok's sleeve to make a couple impromptu bandages and doing her best to stop the bleeding where she can by applying direct pressure. Thankfully the situation seems light enough that she doesn't have to try and jury-rig a tourniquet. "You'll be fine let's just get you downstairs and you'll be right as rain after a quick patch-up."

"Whoa, hey -" Aww, flowers? Caelynn can't help but smile fondly at that. "Don't worry you big baby, I'd love to see those lilies with you. We'll go see them together." The bandaging finished, she moves to help drag Magtok to his feet with another huff, draping the uninjured arm over her shoulders for support.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ghost in the Playground

[Subterranean Sugarbeast Safari->Putting a lid on Pandora's Box]

Eshaal spares no time as Magtok dives out of the way and clears the line of fire, filling the air with several deep bass notes as she fills the air with streamers of plasma as the railgun retorts. It's honestly impressive just how quickly the candykin lays down the heavy fire, using shells held between the fingers of one hand to quickly reload the break barrel. It's enough covering fire to stagger the carnivalfexes, the shots landing in center of mass and clearly intended to flinch. It's a quick enough laydown of tactical fire that the punk can't respond to the pet name quite yet, instead turning and giving a curt signal to run up the stairs.

"Tempting fate or not, those bulkheads are closing! Now GO, we know how quickly these recover." The sniper laughs, seeming to take enjoyment in the exciting chase, and sprinting up the stairs, loading the railgun as she goes. "Tik-Tok, can we get an idea if we need to bring those bulkheads down by force? I can see them up above, one more flight of stairs, looks like!" Esha gives a point upward, before looking back to the other goblins. "Hey cute masked babe, you got something like a mining potion or flashrust you can get ready? If the main Mag can't get the doors shut by console, We'll need to bring down the portcullis the hard way, capishe?" With that the blue menace takes a vaulting leap over the stairwell and up onto the next level, flipping up and stationing the railgun for covering fire again.

"Ey' gorgious guns! I could use another set of hands laying down cover fire while the others get these bulkheads closing behind us! Can I trust you, deadeye?" Eshaal gives a wink and a wide toothy grin, before pulling the railgun back until it catches well enough on the stair railing to give a good mount support. "Let us know when the doors are coming down, we'll slip through then we should be good to walk the rest of the way. Assuming there aren't too many causality issues up above."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

[Putting a lid on Pandora's Box]

There's a brief silence that suggests a confused blink behind the alchemist's mask due to being called a "cute masked babe". But she gets herself in gear soon.

"I've got a bottle of corroding acid. If it doesn't eat through the metal all the way through, it'll make it brittle enough to break some other way."

"Which one of is gorgeous-"

"She said guns plural, so me, I think, but also it doesn't matter. Go help the boss, I'll lay down covering fire." Olvisin is holding Esha's gun in one hand while the other grips one of her original firearms.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cael of Cthulhu

"It's my working theory while dosed on it, and it's magic, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about. I'd have Needs study it, but I'm hoping there's not enough left down there for him to study. If there is enough for him to study, it's probably because she turned into a puddle of water and slipped away while we were distracted," the tin man remarks, still as nonchalant about the idea of her coming back for revenge as he was about bleeding to death. Speaking of which...

"You don't have to lie to me, you know. It's probably standard bedside manner for doctors, but I'm used to death. The real issue is what happens when I'm gone. Nobody here to run this place, movie night cancelled, the other clones taking over and kicking you out when I go several months without reporting back, Blanche without a little brother or sister or two to dote on, movie night cancelled..." They never even got to see that one smash hit film where the main character works at a funeral home. You know, the one where the guy gets spooky superpowers and says 'I'm morgue-ing out!'

Putting a Lid on Pandora's Box

"I can get the doors closed on my own no problem, but if you want them to shut sooner than in three very dramatic minutes, to come down all at once, you need to cut the brakes. Blow up the counterweight mechanisms right there and there, and it'll come crashing down like a guillotine," Magtok explains, pointing to a seemingly innocuous triangular wedge with yellow and black hazard stripes on the ceiling next to the bulkhead, and then another identical wedge on the inner side of the bulkhead. I imagine you'd want to destroy that one after the other, once everyone has hurried past and gotten to safety. Otherwise you'd end up with someone stranded with the carnivalfexes, which would obviously be less than ideal unless it's Eshaal.

"Acid should be fine, how high can you throw i-actually never mind, better idea," Mag rushes to grab the goblin with the one arm he's got left and hover up to the top of the ceiling (an entire fifty feet up because why not have ridiculously massive echoing chambers in your supervillain lair?) so she can get a better view of the first of the two wedges that need to be broken.

"Don't look down if you're afraid of heights."
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

5. - Top - End - #65

Doctor Doctor, Gimme the Nyews, Ive Got a Bad Case of Morbing You

"You don't think she could've turned into water to survive the fall, do you?" Caelynn was aware that hitting water at height wasn't exactly good for the body, but she doubted it would apply in reverse. Not that its such an immediate problem at the moment - if it comes up, it'll come up, and then they can get out the Heavy Salt Cannon or whatever strange tool they find in Magtok's assorted arsenals.

The catgirl continues with helping Magtok upstairs, leading him to the Magcave Residential Infirmary - which is mostly just a simple room with a couple of beds and cabinets, really. The lower levels probably had a more complex setup for when say, twenty-one Magclones get blown up in a wacky experiment or somesuch, but a smaller space like this tended to be sufficient for the main floor.

"Please, you'll be fine," Caelynn insists gently as she starts getting her supplies. "You've just got a few surface-level lacerations - nothing that won't buff out with a little time, so to speak." Having found her equipment, the doctor undoes the temporary bandages she'd fashioned and begins swabbing the wounds clean with rubbing alcohol before applying gauze. "Which means you'll have all the time in the world to explain just what you meant by giving Blanche a younger sibling or two." There's a mischievous grin on her face now. More pressing matters existed in what Mags was saying here, but there was no way she was just going to let that slip by.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2022-05-29 at 11:58 AM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

6. - Top - End - #66

You've Got To Be Kitten Me

Magtok blinks, opens his mouth to respond, and then clamps it shut when the words to answer Caelynn aren't immediately forthcoming. Oh crap, is this sobriety? Is this the part where Future Magtok finally bears the consequences for all the mindless nonsense Past Magtok gleefully spouted without regard for how he might suffer for it later? He glances down at his arm, which doesn't look nearly as catastrophic and fatal as it did when he looked at it earlier. It hurts a little more now than it did earlier, but that's only because his brain was on another planet when the ice bitch slashed up his arm. So that means either it was never that bad to begin with and we deluded ourselves into thinking we were on death's door, or our wife live-in nurse girlfriend undefined romantic partner is some kind of secret witch who magicked away the worst of it when we weren't looking.

"Oh, I'd love to, but I have to go turn a hair dryer into a superweapon just in case the naiad is-" the cyborg leans in the general direction of the door, but doesn't stand back up or even take a single step before sitting back down again. C'mon, Magtok. That excuse isn't going to work while she's in the middle of covering your arm in gauze and can do so as slowly as necessary to keep you here to explain everything. You're going to have to try significantly harder than that.

"Doctor, I was under the influence of a river spirit straight out of Greek myth, I couldn't not think of-" No, this isn't the winning answer either. You're only going to dig yourself an even deeper and more embarrassing pit if you have to explain that your best defense against being entranced by a supernatural nature spirit was focusing all your mental energy on fantasies of knocking up your wife your lover your de facto spouse the future mother of your next three to four kids overly-inquisitive bedfellow.

"I-I mean, don't act like you haven't thought of it before, or hinted at it, or...uh, anyway, we could make it work! All of mine have grown up and left the nest, so it's just us and Needs here. I know the lair isn't ideal right now, but if I haven't childproofed it after a few months, we could find a place near your clinic in Riverside and I'd just focus on fixing the cave up on the weekends. It'd take some sacrifice, but I think together, we-" Magtok suddenly snaps his fingers as his new answer slides into place just in the nick of time. He then winces for a moment, because finger-snapping means moving his human arm which means oww.

"Adoption! That's the word I was trying to remember, adoption! I'm sure there's plenty of filthy orphan chimney-sweeps in Skyside who'd love to be molded into the Nexus's next big supercriminal and evil genius. We could get one of those, and then no dirty diapers, no getting up in the middle of the night to deal with a crying infant, you don't have to go through labor, and I don't have to admit to anything!" Magtok, it's too late for that now. You've already admitted to everything. Three times in a row, as a matter of fact.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #67

Are You Feline It Now Mr Krabs

The smile on Caelynn's lips grows broader and brighter while Magtok stutters, flubs and tries to recover and redirect. The former supervillain's charisma and charm was what drew her to him in the first place, but it really can't be overstated how fun it is to watch him set on the backfoot like this. There's something so disarmingly adorable in how he backpedals and squirms... huh, was this why he had so many rivals back in the day?

"My, you've really been thinking about this, haven't you?" Caelynn doesn't sound mocking or admonishing at all here - more pleasantly surprised, honestly. Magtok's not entirely wrong here - having another kid or two has been on her mind lately, and she has mentioned being interested in it, albeit in like, a fairly offhanded unserious way where you're hesitant to initiate a serious conversation on it.

"Yeah, I - that sounds rather nice, honestly," the doctor admits, putting the finishing touches on her bandaging. "I'd still be a little worried about just like, how dangerous things can really get on the lower levels around here -" wouldn't want a two-year-old have to toddle away from an intelligent velociraptor for instance -"but I mean hey, worst case scenario - a nice little place in Eastside, a couple of kids, maybe a tiny little yard... assuming that won't be too idyllic for you?" She gives him a find little smile.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

8. - Top - End - #68

Getting Meowrried

"I can always find some new and exciting way to distract myself from domestic bliss if I have to," he shrugs, glancing down at his bandaged arm since it's the perfect example of exactly the sort of thing he's talking about. He's going to have to be more careful from now on if they go through with this, though. More drone bodies doing the combat on his behalf, less suicidal risks, no going into dangerous situations completely unarmed. Probably going to have to avoid picking any fights with the cat that might escalate into targeting families, but small pranks and surveillance should still be safe, right?

"Go on some dumb adventure in the lower floors, pick a fight with HALO's leadership over some minor issue, involve myself in Eastside's politics. We can even convince ourselves the kid's teachers are shapeshifting aliens who graded that test wrong on purpose, and shadow them for evidence of their wicked agenda until it turns out their shady behavior went down a completely different conspiracy rabbit hole, and they were actually Yaldabaoth doomsday cultists all along." That last one might involve more leaping from rooftop to rooftop and superspy shenanigans than is ideal for the duo, though.

"And, uhh..." the tin man falters, trying to find the words that keep eluding him. Talking about stupid adventures and getting himself in dumb conflicts is easy, but the second he tries to get back on topic, just as he makes eye contact with her, wow, the well just dries up instantly. There's nobody to persuade of anything since Caelynn is already on board, no tricks to pull or sneaky gambits to pull. He doesn't have to impress the catgirl or do anything to win her over. It should be easy to just say something sweet and tender and then take her hand and go look at those dumb moon flowers, shouldn't it? Just say something normal, something cute and romantic so you can smile at her and she can smile at you and we can move on from this conversation and work on figuring out the rest when your hand is feeling better. Or even better, maybe you can just tell her what's actually been bothering you all these months and why this domestic fantasy is only coming up now.

"Legally speaking, if we do go with the Riverside option, and I know I'm suggesting these completely out of the conventional order, but if we do, it might be in our financial and legal best interests to tie the knot an-" No, Magtok, you stupid idiot, just tell her. Not the carefully crafted nonsense you think she wants to hear, this tsundere anime girl bullcrap where you act like you're only getting married for tax purposes when it's obviously for twu wuv, what you actually feel. The ugly side of it. Take the damn mask off and tell her the truth. Take a deep breath and then face this head on instead of trying to bury it underneath the usual theater and spectacle.

"**** it, I don't...I don't know. I...I want this, I do, but there's so much that can go wrong. The moment I start calling you my wife or we start trying for kids, some madman is going to take that as their cue to hurt you. The cat will put you in his rifle's scope because I did that to him first. Some new freak will show up at your clinic with a bomb, wanting revenge for any number of the things I've done years ago. We've been comfortable like this for months; the ice queen is the only bad thing that's happened to us in all this time and she was a joke. The moment we start changing the status quo, that security is gone. And I know you're probably thinking you'll just hug the paranoid, emotional cyborg and say that love and determination and superior firepower will keep us together, but it's never played out that way for me before. I don't know how to protect you from the entire world, and I don't know if it's worth risking all that we have right now." It's weird, Mag was just talking about his suspicion that she might try to hug him and downplay his fears, but it's his arms that immediately reach out to pull her close to his chest.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ghost in the Playground

[Putting a lid guillotine on Pandora's box.]

Eshaal gives a nod to Magtok. The cyborg clearly had the right idea in terms of speed and effective closing. "Hold until we see the tops of their heads, pin 'em to the floor, and book it. We'll leave the rest up to you flyers." Esha's vision trains down below, where.... sounds are starting to approach. Big sounds, the ripping of metal under hardened candy talon. Of course, there was the matter of the ooze. That should slow the pair down somewhat, right?

SMPLORT!

Wrong. There is a thump and a rumble, somewhat like a pressure wave, and roughly half of the clearish ooze flies into the bottom of the stair shaft, cleaving on the back wall and spattering ever which direction before several chunks begin to crystalize into a candy gel that looks suspiciously like prickly pear candy. This is followed rapidly by a roar that rattles and vibrates the group to the bone. "Steady..." It's a low, calm voice from the gobbo candykin, the girl's finger resting heavy on the trigger of the railgun.

Slowly, each footstep approaches, with finally one, than two noses poking into the shaft. "I hope that door is ready..." comes the low mutter from the gal, tensing and waiting for just the right chance.... Finally, the pair of candy creature features take steps forward, sticking fully into the stairway, eyes looking this way and that. "Present for ya!" Comes the soft call, Esha starting to dump railgun rounds down the stair shaft until the creatures are staggered. "Go first, if I get clipped by the door coming down it's not a big deal for me!"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

[Putting a lid guillotine on Pandora's box.]

"I should be- whoooa. Okay." The alchemist is briefly disoriented by being lifted, but adjusts. She produces two vials of acid and holds them ready. "I'm ready to drop the door when you are!"

Olvisin doesn't need to be told twice before retreating, but she keeps shooting the candyfexes even while she does so. It's a matter of principle. She won't run without giving them a what-for.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #71

Holy Nyatrimony?

Magtok's got an accurate reading of his audience as usual; he can see the way Caelynn's eyebrows raise in surprise, the little spark of hope and excitement that lights up in those violet eyes of hers... but its tempered by an underlying sense of concern, a feeling that something isn't quite right here. The catgirl has spent far too long as his partner to not have developed a sense of his signs and tells, and she can feel that there's something beneath everything bothering him.
    "Oh, love," Caelynn sighs in sympathy, letting him pull her into the hug and wrapping her arms around him to tightly reciprocate. "You're right, I can't just promise away all these worries and fears of yours. It is a little dangerous in a world like the Nexus, so narratively compelled as it is, but - maybe there's still safety in the quiet we've had so far."

She breaks the hug to give Magtok a soft smile. Her hands move to hold his own - the one flesh and blood, specifically. "I mean, names have power, but we've already effectively been married in everything but name for almost a year now, yeah? Maybe it will still be fine if we can keep all this as more of a gradual transition rather than some loud, bombastic event - something personal and just between us, nothing that invites the need for others to breach it."

"Aaand while we can't be sure that you won't have to protect me... you're not exactly so alone and opposed anymore, are you?" The smile grows a little warmer, Caelynn's thumb starting to trace an idle pattern alongside her partner's hand. Her eyes look over to the corner, as if going through a list. "We have security from MERC, you're on speaking if tentative terms with both VIGIL and HALO, regardless of their leadership's personal histories and feelings about you, and AMEN's been dormant for a while now. There's not as many angles of possible organized opposition or retribution, and if something bad does happen, well, we have plenty of places we can possibly run to."

It might surprise Magtok to realize that Caelynn's put her own thought into this before as well. Probably not with this exact reasoning and personal motivation and worries in mind, but - well, the Magcave has always been perhaps a little unstable of a place. And for a pair of people living so separated from the community and infrastructural support of a city like Inside, it seems fairly prudent to have some idea of what manner of safety net there might be out there to help catch and assist you. Helping maintain the safety of their life together has always been in the corner of Caelynn's mind, whether she spoke on it or not.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Putting A Lid Guillotine On Pandora's Box

"Oh, you have two vials. That makes this a lot simpler than I thought this was going to be," the cyborg breathes a sigh of relief, still holding onto the goblin with his one arm. This would probably be a lot safer if he tucked her under his arm or she rode on his back or something, but eww, no thanks. We've already been a lot closer than we'd ever like to be to a bunch of grimy little gobbos today. Keeping them at arm's length both literally and figuratively is much safer in the long-term, lest any of them get ideas after this and think they've made friends with their begrudging client. These little monsters are not people Magtok wants to invite over for movie night. He's not even sure they all legally qualify as people.

"Okay, it's almost here. Just toss the first one now, and then we'll swoop around and save the second one for just before the monster is ready to die. I'll say when," Mag instructs, glancing down at the other gobs and the encroaching monsters that are getting closer and closer a lot faster than he'd like them to. This'll be closer than he'd like.

(^≗ω≗^) What if We Kissed In The MagCave Residential Infirmary? And We Were Both Morons? (☉౪ ⊙)

"I don't know if I'd say I'm on speaking terms with-" he pauses for a moment to consider what he was about to tell her, and whether or not it's actually true or just something he wishes was true, because part of him still clings to the paradoxical, mischievous, two-faced (anti)villain past. "I don't know if I like the suggestion that I'm on speaking terms with Vigil and HALO, but it's probably for the best I put those feelings aside and admit that I am." Just don't ever tell anyone he said that, okay? Especially not anyone in HALO or Vigil.

"But anyways, if you want to take that step, uh-" the cyborg unconsciously glances towards an empty infirmary bed, before inwardly scowling at himself and delivering an imaginary slap to the part of his psyche that let that slip. The intended end of that sentence was not 'when do we start?' you libidinous little lowlife. "We should get around to picking a day to visit city hall and get the paperwork signed, maybe buy or steal or forge a ring ahead of time. 7/7 is an easy anniversary day to remember, but I don't know if you want to take off from work on a Thursday. 8/8 is closer to the weekend, but it's two whole months from now, so people will know I was just trying to make it look like we weren't having a kid out of wedlock, and imagine the scandal when word gets out that Caelynn and Magtok, those stupid reckless impulsive kids, were fooling around too much until the consequences finally caught up with them," Magtok feigns a melodramatic gasp, acting like the gossipy tabloids that part of him still desperately wishes would write stuff about him instead of Blanche and a grizzly bear, or Cessie and Jezebel, or Wenomir and one of seven different elves he's never heard of. Ugh, elves.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

13. - Top - End - #73

We're Not Making The Ring A Grenade Pin This Time, Mags

"Yeah, I think we can do that." Caelynn smiles. If she picks up on the thoughts her fiancé had just inwardly chided himself for, she doesn't seem to remark upon them beyond a slight quirk of the brow. "I like 7/7, it has a nice ring to it. And hey, maybe some of the luck will rub off on us? As for a ring, well... I'm sure we can think of a few clever symbolic things to work with for that." The doctor steps back, leaning against a shelf that could use a nice dusting next time they have someone down here before flinching, regretting the touch of cold metal and using an arm to prop herself against it.

"I assume we probably don't want to go with diamonds, yeah? Maybe a band of silver for both of us? Could go with an amethyst for a gem if we want." Purple would fit as a unifying color for both of them, really, between the robes and her eyes. Might come across as less Magtok-centric than you'd expect at first glance. "Then, once we have a plan set for us... well, there's still time to get the tabloids all up in a stir if that really suits your fancy." She grins.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

14. - Top - End - #74

Okay Fine But I Haven't Entirely Ruled Out Adopting A Telepath

"Amethyst works," Mag agrees, before thinking back on the last time he did something like this. It was certainly a lot more bombastic and spectacular back then, but that's precisely what we're trying to avoid this time around. Plus, as much as part of Magtok is always tempted to try to one-up his old schemes, there's no way to realistically top nuking the moon. Hell, I don't think he'd even get away with something as boring as nuking it a second time without the Fun Police getting involved. Still, there are some aspects of what we did back then that do merit repeating, traditions and rituals that it feels weird to not stick by. Actually, hold on, maybe we can still do one thing...

"Okay, let me just-give me a second here. Just to sorta officialize everything, to do it the way it's supposed to go. You know how this part usually goes, just pretend we didn't have this discussion and we just got back home after the most romantic date of your life," Magtok asks of his wife-to-be, his chrome hand slowly sculpting a tiny hologram of an amethyst engagement ring and the tiny ring box that goes around it. It looks real enough when Mag's hands aren't moving, but shimmers and wobbles as he goes down on one knee.

"Doctor Caelynn Turath, love of my life, mother of my next child wait no that's not canon yet, would you jointly file taxes with me?" the former supervillain asks, his gauze-covered arm extending an illusory amethyst ring towards the catgirl. All of this is entirely unnecessary and superfluous at this point, of course, but how could he not indulge? How could he not propose, even if he has to resort to using a fake ring and pretending he hasn't already heard her answer?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

15. - Top - End - #75

A Flaming Wonder Telepath?

Caelynn smiles fondly as Magtok starts to come up with an idea, briefly caught up at the sight of his mind at work and his hands in motion. That charming way he has of being able to whip up a solution like that, talk his way through so many problems. Enough so that she almost fails to register the first sentence or so, jolting back into focus a second late. "Oh! Well - I mean, I'm not really like that good at acting- but yeah, I can try my best!" She gets a little nervous, a light hue in her cheeks - which is, incidentally, the perfect kind of mindset for this.

"I- oh gosh," the doctor feels her face redden as she looks at Magtok kneeling in front of her. A hand rises to cover her mouth. Was her heart supposed to flutter like that? She breaks out into a giddy, nervous little smile, feline ears standing straight. "Well, I - yes! Gods, a thousand times yes!"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

16. - Top - End - #76

I Think Malice Prime Is A Little Old For Adoption

Magtok slides the imaginary ring on her finger, which flickers and fades away since it's not real and not meant to be used like that. He quickly rises up from his kneeling stance, wraps his arms around his wife-to-be, and just...soaks it all in for a few moments. Wow, they're really doing this. The ring might've been fake, but that proposal and her answer was real. It's real, and she's not fading out of existence or anything. The world isn't on fire and neither of them are dying. Finally, finally, the constant, unending terror has abated.

"I love you," is all he manages to say, in a voice scarcely more than a whisper.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

17. - Top - End - #77

Prime Bab Hours?

Caelynn returns the embrace and holds Magtok tightly, closing her eyes and letting her head lie against the front of his shoulder. She lets the silence fill the room as they stand together, equally happy to let the moment hold and soak in the feelings they're experiencing within it. Savoring the closeness between them. "I love you too," she whispers in response, a smile on her lips.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #78

[Deal with a Demon]

The succubus waiting by the entrance to the Magcave continues to pace back and forth, glancing down at the watch on her wrist. This... Magtok fellow knows she's here, right? There's no way he doesn't. There has to be a camera or something around here somewhere. Was he making her wait on purpose? Had she come at the wrong time? Was there some indicator of her presence that she was supposed to give that she hadn't yet? Would... would that matter? It'd only be good etiquette to ring the figurative doorbell, if she could find one.

She sighs and pops out a little makeup mirror, looking over herself again. She wants to be absolutely certain she's on her best form when Magtok does let her in. With every aspect of her appearance being a deliberate choice, there's much more to be critical about. Fortunately, she seems to be fine... her skin is exactly the shade of bubblegum pink she wants it to be, her red-tinted eyes carry just the right mix of familiar and exotic appeal, her raven-black hair is... wait, crap, she's supposed to be a redhead!

Oh, well, easy fix.

The succubus quietly shuffles her hair, brushing in streaks of red as she looks over her wardrobe. Business casual, heavy on the casual. She's wearing a slate-grey blazer, which is slightly too small for her, held together with little more than a pair of buttons and absent any undershirt; cumulatively, they give the impression that if she took a deep breath, it would come at the expense of her modesty. She's paired this with a knee-length skirt, from which poke a pair of semi-transparent black stockings, suspended from the sides by barely-visible bands. And finally, rounding out the general theme of "grey", she has a pair of flats, which clack slightly against the floor as she paces back and forth.

The succubus snaps the mirror shut and again nervously checks her watch. How has it only been thirty seconds since the last time she looked? It feels like she's been waiting out her for... god only knows how long.

...Maybe this is a bad idea. Magtok's supposed to be a scary guy, if she gets on his bad side. Maybe she should take this as a sign that this deal was not meant to be and leave while she's still got both legs.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

19. - Top - End - #79

Deal with a Demon

The security camera is reporting a demon at Magtok's doorstep. A demon. This is some kind of joke, right? He's done with that sort of thing. AMEN is dead and buried, the heroes he would've liked to oppose are all gone, and his last serious attempt at wreaking havoc and being a supervillain was foiled by a bored cosplayer, an invincible robot boy, and his own ennui. He's been out of the game for years. His soul is already spoken for and there's already a hitgoblin assigned to Reinholdt. What would the underworld want with him now? Is this about the marriage thing? Is Lady Mephisto here to trade his marriage for the life of an old friend? I mean, as ludicrous as that kind of deal sounds, it makes more sense than trying to buy his soul, right? What would he even be able to buy with his withered, blackened soul anyway, Prime's death? A cleaned-out basement? Bah. Well let's give her the professional courtesy of hearing this out and then send her away, because only a moron sells their own soul.

"Computer, dramatic entrance five...no, six. We finally refilled the kerosene tanks a day ago, so dramatic entrance six," the cyborg commands, tugging his purple hood over his head before pausing, shaking his head, and pushing it back down below his shoulders. No, better to go unhooded for this one. This is a complete stranger with strange infernal power, and if this somehow turns into a fight, we'll need peripheral vision. He steps on a glowing platform, running a last-second diagnostic check on a few subsystems before taking a deep breath and putting on his trademark scowl. Alright, here we go, Magtok. Business as usual. Just scowling at a stranger at your doorstep and telling them to scram. Nothing you haven't done before at the height of your power and influence in the Nexus, nothing you can't still do now.

The front door swings open out of nowhere, beckoning the succubus inside. All throughout the shadowy foyer, thin jets of flame shoot up towards the ceiling, illuminating the darkened entry hall just enough to call attention to the circular hatch in the middle of the room, which opens up to allow a platform decorated with more geysers of fire to rise up from below to ground level, lighting up the cavern and simultaneously putting a wall of fiery pillars between Magtok and his guest. He regards her with a cold, appraising stare from an obsidian throne, which rises past the ground floor and up to nearly fifteen feet high, letting his mismatched eyes look down upon her like the tiny insect she truly is. Eventually, once the throne has finished ascending, the majority of the spouts of flame die out, with only a few small torches left lit to illuminate the chrome supercriminal in the middle of the room.

"You have made it past the cyberwolves, trekked through the asbestos forest, and hiked through the meadow of human ashes to get here, assuming you didn't just skip past all of that and teleport instead. All to get to my doorstep. All to walk in here. All without an appointment. I would like to know why," Magtok demands, more curious than scornful. Most people don't even know about the asbestos forest until he mentions it, of course, but a dormant volcano like Mt. Enn isn't exactly Maggy World, either. The area is very unwelcoming, and it's that way by design. People shouldn't be coming all the way out here without (what they believe to be) a good reason.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

20. - Top - End - #80

[Deal with a Demon]

...Made it past the what?!

The succubus's face goes a little pale as she listens to the list of things she's apparently lucked out of encountering. Cyberwolves? Asbestos? She ought to be dead twice over before she even got to the front door! ...Well, okay, really only once, but still.

The succubus clears her throat, inwardly listening for the sounds of silicate fibers in her lungs, before stepping past the door and addressing Magtok. Okay, just like she practiced. Just a bit more fire here than she anticipated.

"Good afternoon." She begins, with the most sincere-yet-professional smile she can manage. "My name is Katherine Amici. I represent Demons Advocating Mutual Neutrality, a non-profit political advocacy group based in the southern portion of Riverside."

At least, that's what it says on their wiki page.

"I'm here today to discuss the possibility of a business arrangement that promotes our cause and adds another revenue stream to your ledger."

Well. Hopefully that stokes his curiosity enough for her to get past the front door.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

21. - Top - End - #81

Deal with a Demon

There's something wonderfully satisfying about seeing firsthand that even now, Magtok can still intimidate people. Intimidate demons, even. He stifles the prideful grin threatening to creep up on his features and instead holds fast to his impassive scowl, slouching back upon that obsidian throne as he considers his answer to Ms. Amici. He hasn't been following the situation with the demons in Riverside; it's gotten too complicated and fraught with differing opinions. He doesn't have the resources to develop a proper intelligence network to see through the propaganda of one side or the other, either. So this could be a front designed to fund demon conquerors bent on transforming Riverside into Little Gehenna, but it could also be exactly what Ms. Amici is describing. It might be a way to thumb his nose at Vigil and their demon-fighting agenda, or it could be something they approve of and will be working with later themselves.

"What does-" the cyborg pauses, his eyes lighting up as he finally notices something about Katherine's political group he didn't until just now. "-what sort of arrangement would DAMN be asking for, and how would they be promoting their cause through it?" Oh man, he's sold on this already, isn't he? The moment an acronym was involved, that clinched it.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2022-07-21 at 12:40 AM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

22. - Top - End - #82

[Deal with a Demon]

A good acronym is worth its weight in gold in the Nexus. Especially if it carries that extra element of irony. They couldn't very well have just gone without it, could they?

Katherine smiles and steps toward the throne, fingering the top button of her blazer. "Well, I woulf be glad to tell you. But if you don't mind, I was hoping to discuss this under circumstances slightly less... impersonal, if you catch my drift. Perhaps there's somewhere we can walk?"

Regardless of whether that request is granted or not, she'll continue with her proposal, either immediately or once they've set off, as is situationally appropriate.

"DAMN works through a number of avenues to help improve the relationship between Riverside's native and demonic inhabitants." She begins, her tail flicking back and forth as she walks/paces. "Reconstruction efforts, to help repair what parts of the city are still damaged. Legal counsel, to help ensure justice is properly meted out in any case involving demons. Cultural awareness seminars, to help avert any misunderstandings between our peoples. And so on and so forth." She smiles and holds a finger up in the air in front of her. "And as a non-profit organization, we rely heavily on donations to make this all work. Our efforts, and their success, are based directly in Riverside's collective wish for peace."

"...A wish that, for the moment, is effectively nonexistent." Katherine lets out a weary little sigh, in an attempt to further sell the disappointment the statement was meant to invoke. "If you've been watching events in Riverside at all, you don't need me to tell you that the relationship between the city and demons is... sour. Again, we aim to fix that. But by the same token, we struggle to actually recieve anything in the way of donations; in this climate, nobody wants to spare any money on an organization by demons, for demons, even if it works toward their own best interests. People simply don't trust us enough to let us show that we can be trusted. Nasty little vicious cycle, isn't it?"

"And that's where you come in. I'm confident that, if we had the capital to get our projects running properly, they would encourage the people of Riverside to let us help them help themselves. Capital you would provide." She gives Magtok a rueful little smile. "Of course, we don't expect you to have the confidence in us to make a large donation, either. Which is why I propose a loan; you put a spike in our proverbial tip jar, and as soon as we can, we pay you back, plus a portion of our income to make it more worth your while."

There's a devious little smirk on the succubus's face as she concludes her brief presentation. Magtok is likely business-savvy enough to recognize the long-term implications of this proposition, at least as it concerned the flow of money into his pocket. But, better to let him have that realization than to point it out to him explicitly; it would better serve the sale if his ego was working in the same direction as her.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #83

Deal with a Demon

"Sorry, you couldn't have possibly known, but the wife and I tied the knot in secret just a few weeks ago, and it would be unseemly of me to allow you or any other visitor to be much more comfortable than this, not even a month into our marriage," Magtok politely rebuffs Katherine's advances, somehow managing to sound genuinely apologetic about it, as if she's the one missing out, and will have to spend the rest of her life kicking herself for not making her move sooner. How tragic, to come so close to the Lord Magtok, and get turned down just because of a dumb little mortal thing like marriage. Maybe if she had magicked herself up a pair of cat ears...Still, he does do Katherine the courtesy of letting his throne sink enough to let him sit at eye level, instead of the needlessly intimidating height it started from, where it had forced her to lift her chin up just to see him. That's something, I guess.

"Can I ask who else you've made this pitch to? Has Vigil made their stance on your organization known?" he asks, once she's finished her speech. Making money by investing in the community they might be moving into is all well and good, but if he could do so while snubbing Wenomir and the rest of the WATCHFORCE, throwing money at the demons that keep making their lives complicated, that'd be even better. We could run into some issues with Ilpholin, but it wouldn't be that hard to smooth them over. Just say something like 'if the demons are all in one district they'll be easier for you to hunt, right?' and we should avoid any particularly ugly drama with her. We can't live our whole life worrying about what old friends with psychological issues think of us, anyway. If Ilpholin still hasn't gotten tired of murdering demons out of misplaced guilt for what happened with Darcy, that's on her.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

24. - Top - End - #84

[Deal with a Demon]

Katherine briefly considers pointing out that she meant something relatively innocent, like a walk-and-talk, but quickly decides that'd be a pointless digression, and it's not like she's certain Magtok misunderstood her anyway. Newlyweds could be insanely jealous at times, or so she gathered.

"Well." She begins, approaching the throne now that doing so while maintaining eye contact wasn't going to result in fractured vertebrae. "Not as such, no. I expect we've simply been beneath notice; as I said, we haven't had the capital to actually do much, so there's not a whole lot we could do to attract their attention." She gives the tycoon a little shrug. "Short of walking up to them and waving our hands in their face, that is. Considering they were just in the news for breaking an anti-demon terrorist out of police custody, that didn't strike us as a particularly good idea." She paces in front of the throne thoughtfully. "I don't think we should involve them until we have some actual publicity. At which point they'll probably have to play ball to avoid scuffing up their image any further."

Katherine smiles and turns back to Magtok. "Besides, even apart from that, you're our first pick as a potential investor. I won't pretend to know why; the people who make those decisions are a little further up the chain of command than I am. But hey, top of the list."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]