New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Would a few of you like to be involved in some gaming research?

I've got a friend that's doing research on roleplaying and psychology and he's looking for some gamers to participate.

As a note: I've gamed with this guy and have found him to be a creative, engaged GM and one of the most honestly good people I've ever met.

Please feel free to forward on to those who you feel may be interested.

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
    But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
    - Dr. Seuss

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Would a few of you like to be involved in some gaming research?

Interesting very narrow niche of people they are going to use in their research.

I can't help but wonder how that will taint any outcome from their study.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

That seems to be what they're trying to figure out.
    Explanation:
    One of the easier ways of achieving academic validity for general research is taking intentionally specific research results and using them to create a model for your current group of research subjects.
    This could be one of these more specific research plans

Simplified example:
    My university researches the effects of x on people's ability to learn.
    One group of students researches the effect of x on left handed people's bility to learn.
    A second group of students researches the effect of x on right handed people's ability to learn.
    A third group of students researches the effect of x on double handed people's ability to learn.
    A fourth group of students conducts a literary study in which they use all three papers and evens out the differences.

This has a list of advantages in academics:
    1. You get to publish not one, but many papers(good pr)
    2. Fixing validity concerns is easier
    3. You can use it as a way to keep more students busy and train them in the art of academics(only applicable for educative institutes, but they're a big enough part of academics to matter)
    4. It's easier to get funding, because you can hype it more often close to your more general holy grail.
    5. Specificness is actually seen as an admirable property academic research as long the paper can pin correctly down what is the specific area it operates in.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh my. I’m interested but I’m 34. This is the first time I recall being too old for an adult event :(
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ