New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Question Trying to find GiantITP setting (misplaced bookmark), author unknown

This setting was divided between at least three threads with at least one thread corresponding to the major cosmological forces of the setting (Fate/Luck, Magic, and I believe it was Mind). The author’s name might have had a reference to a badger or wolverine in it? Probably not. I bookmarked this setting years ago, long before I made a GiantITP account so I cannot simply search my browser history for it.

Medieval fantasy or high magic fantasy. The thread was primarily about cosmology and the three great forces of the setting with their three empowered races. Magic, Luck/Fate, and (possibly) Mind. The chosen race of Fate/Luck was dragons (dragonkind). The moment they would choose to take off into the air would correspond with a gust of air suspiciously strong enough to lift their massive bodies. And so it goes, their aligned force is part of their every action. I think there were around 8 dragon subraces? They had different body types and some were named for cloud types. Fate/Luck and that force’s empowered race was the third and last chosen segment of the setting to be explored.

I don’t recall any mention of deities. I’m probably forgetting any mentions of adventuring and D&D appropriate story opportunities.

Every 150, 300, or 450 years or so (can’t remember) the currently dominant magical force rotates out. So like the four seasons, the three forces wax and wane in their impact across the plane/planet. One generation Luck is strong, Mind is growing weaker, and Magic is growing stronger. Next Magic is strong, Luck is growing weaker, and Mind is growing stronger. I think that Magic was linked to a race that was a lot like treants/ents? They might have had bodies like centaurs, but I donÂ’t think there was any art. They were certainly the most cautious and unhurried of the three races.

Elementalism existed with at least one race/territory. I sort of think the third race (Mind or something else) had qualities corresponding to Eladrin, Fey, Elves, or Genasi (half-elemental humanoids). At 16 or so an adult chose their element permanently.

I don’t remember if there was any talk about game mechanics. There was some discussion about the three forces working like Rock Paper Scissors, but that might have been a commenter’s suggestion rather than the thread author.
    Last edited by Rilmani; 2021-12-06 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Removing strange  in

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Trying to find GiantITP setting (misplaced bookmark), author unknown

Maybe this one?

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...mpaign-Setting

You probably saw it, but high magic, dragons, psionics/mind powers, luck and fate. But there are gods so maybe not.

Good luck in your quest!
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums

3. - Top - End - #3

Chimera

Default Re: Trying to find GiantITP setting (misplaced bookmark), author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rredmond View Post
    Maybe this one?

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...mpaign-Setting

You probably saw it, but high magic, dragons, psionics/mind powers, luck and fate. But there are gods so maybe not.

Good luck in your quest!
    Nope. I’m certainly impressed by that thread- it was in fact new to me- but it is isn’t what I’m looking for. I doubt my thread was created this year, I think it was created between 2014 and 2017. Thank you though!

The one I’m looking for has commonalities with typical DnD settings, but had the feel of a young, setting; might’ve only had three sapient races (though again, I think the “elves” had elemental subraces based on a choice at puberty).

4. - Top - End - #4

Chimera

Asking again for any forum goers with a long memory: do you recognize the setting this thread is focused on? Do you have any ideas which content creator around here might have made three separate threads, one for each race and power type?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

6. - Top - End - #6

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Yes! YES INDEEED, ahhhh, thank you! This is what I was looking for. 2012 and 2013, eh? That’d do it. Thank you so much, may you have a fantastic week you great forumgoer!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Nice find and interesting read! Thanks.
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums