New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,478 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

I did not see "Ellen's extra memories being actually relevant to something" coming here. Possibly should have.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

It did seem like that plotline had been quietly abandoned... much like Lord Tedd.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I've never been the biggest fan of multiverse stuff, so I didn't mind the comic quietly ignoring those elements.

That said I do respect sticking to your guns about creative decisions made decades ago before the comic got good, so I'm cool with it being reincorporated.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

If nothing else, respect that they maintain continuity more than most Hollywood studio projects do. Even within the same film. The Marvels.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2023-11-14 at 06:05 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    It did seem like that plotline had been quietly abandoned... much like Lord Tedd.
    And yet, both appear to linger around. Those black eyes on Tedd were not a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    If nothing else, respect that they maintain continuity more than most Hollywood studio projects do. Even within the same film. The Marvels.
    That's not exactly a high bar to clear. That being said, through all the years I'd say that consistent writing was always one of the stronger points of EGS. Even the Eliot's inner demons kind of returned in a reasonable way.
    Last edited by Radar; 2023-11-14 at 06:23 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes, I think "Dan hasn't resolved this early plot thread X years later" is being confused with "Dan abandoned this early plot thread."

I don't think he's deliberately abandoned any plot threads, and I can only think of one he accidentally abandoned*.

*Melissa stalking Justin for years and flatly refusing to listen to being told he was gay and wasn't romantically interested in her got swept under the "he was actually pissed off that she outed him" rug.

7. - Top - End - #1477

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Yes, I think "Dan hasn't resolved this early plot thread X years later" is being confused with "Dan abandoned this early plot thread."

I don't think he's deliberately abandoned any plot threads, and I can only think of one he accidentally abandoned*.

*Melissa stalking Justin for years and flatly refusing to listen to being told he was gay and wasn't romantically interested in her got swept under the "he was actually pissed off that she outed him" rug.
    That wasn't swept away, that was explained as being a psychological issue.

When she's not around him she understands exactly what's going on but when he's in her eyesight or she's thinking about him something goes funny.

We literally have a page of her slapping herself out of it.

Of course, that seemed to be resolved once they actually talked, so...
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #1478

Yes, that sure is a link to it not being swept under the rug before it was swept under the rug.

Try looking at the end of the story, you know, the strip I actually referenced. Years of stalking? Not mentioned. Justin had held a grudge against Melissa for outing him and was finally willing to accept her apology, two years after the fact, and it was too late. He learned a valuable lesson about being harsh and unforgiving. Afterschool special music plays, undisrupted by Justin going, "wait a moment, I had really good reasons to avoid her whether I was mad at her or not, and telling her I wanted to go back to being friends would just have encouraged her to insist louder that I wasn't actually gay!"

Which only peripherally relates to my original statement: I do not believe Dan is deliberately dropping any of his original plot threads. He may overwrite them deliberately (Lord Tedd is a one-dimensional monster who wants to kill every other version of himself->Lord Tedd helps the main cast and someone says they misunderstand him) or accidentally (Justin avoids Melissa for an obvious and excellent reason->Justin is holding a grudge which he allowed to wreck their friendship). But there will be no "that wasn't referenced in years, so that plot thread no longer exists."

Edited: And since we're on page 50, new thread.
    Last edited by Kish; 2023-11-18 at 08:43 AM.