A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Well, all glasses, even nonmagical ones, give a penalty to Charisma, so if that's your casting stat...

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Not so. In Fallout 4 at least two types of eyewear gives charisma bonuses. (Okay, arguably it is the frames.)

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Well, all glasses, even nonmagical ones, give a penalty to Charisma, so if that's your casting stat...
    Not really. characteristics that makes one charming are very subjective. sometimes people are charming because they're sexy, other times simply because they're cute, sometimes because they are goofy, sometimes they're cool. in japan, there is a character archetype in called "meganekko" for girls and "megane" for boys, that refers to them being attractive because they wear glasses, and would in fact be considered less attractive without them.

meanwhile big round swirly nerd glasses like the ones Tedd used to wear that made them look more geeky? are very goofy. and goofiness can be endearing.

also sunglasses or shades exist which are pretty much shorthand for cool ever since they were invented, as Johnny Bravo says "I can't be seen without my glasses!"
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #484
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Have we ever seen him without them before?
    I don't really believe this is the case, but what if they are a limiter of some sort (at least with magic's not-change).

I figured the lone panel with just the glasses was to make us wonder how badly hurt Edward was, but maybe it was to foreshadow something important about them being missing (like the dropping of Elliot's phone turned out to be important.)

Again, not something I seriously think, but if he's been wearing them even when it shows him wake up in the middle of the night...
    ...Tedd did say that he wasn't sure that Edward actually needed glasses to see.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...Tedd did say that he wasn't sure that Edward actually needed glasses to see.
    It's more the feasible that, like Tedd, he just has minor vision issues.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't worry Ashley, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that your waifu should also be your friend.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Don't worry Ashley, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that your waifu should also be your friend.
    Yeah that makes sense. a waifu that isn't your friend probably isn't someone you'd want any relationship with? like you can admire a character if they're a jerk or whatever, but the healthy thing to realize is that they're a jerk and probably wouldn't make exceptions in their jerkiness. like a relationship built on pineapple logic (prickly outside, sweet inside) where one endures the prickly parts to get to the sweet part of someone is probably not the best because there is potential that the ratio of prickly to sweet isn't worth it, assuming they have any sweet side at all.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #488

Seriously, this comic is gonna end in a massive polycule.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

Given the reference Dan was making, he could have gone with "Grace are friend, not food for thought"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Given the reference Dan was making, he could have gone with "Grace are friend, not food for thought"...
    That doesn't even make sense, and the excess wordage ruins the reference, anyways.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Hehe.

In all seriousness I get Ashley's concern. Even if this story isn't erotica it sounds like the next best thing, and not everybody would be okay for being the basis for a character in such a story.

Thankfully Grace is the kind of person to take a relatively mature outlook on the writing process.

An incredibly messy one I suspect. Tedd/Grace/Sarah are almost certainly a triad in the making, with Sarah likely also dating Sam at the same time. I can see an Elliot/Ashley/Grace hinge, and also an Ashley/Elliot/Susan one. Justin and Luke are their own thing for now, but a mystery character will arrive in the university arc to link them in!

Susan is just in a romantic relationship with everybody she's not related to.

More seriously, I definitely see some kind of Tedd/Grace/Sarah/Sam polycule in the making, but whether it's a quad or not I'm honestly uncertain.

Also, I forget how long it's been since Elliot and Sarah broke up. I want to say about two months? So while I suspect that the Tedd/Grace/Sarah triad has been in the making for a while I don't see it becoming official for a few more months. I do have to say that I find that it feels much more natural than Elliot/Ashley if only because it seems to be moving slower.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Knowing this comic, by the time they graduate from college, in the 2070s, every youth in Moperville around their age* will be part of one huge polyamorous relationship.

*Except Rich.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

13. - Top - End - #493

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Hehe.

In all seriousness I get Ashley's concern. Even if this story isn't erotica it sounds like the next best thing, and not everybody would be okay for being the basis for a character in such a story.

Thankfully Grace is the kind of person to take a relatively mature outlook on the writing process.

An incredibly messy one I suspect. Tedd/Grace/Sarah are almost certainly a triad in the making, with Sarah likely also dating Sam at the same time. I can see an Elliot/Ashley/Grace hinge, and also an Ashley/Elliot/Susan one. Justin and Luke are their own thing for now, but a mystery character will arrive in the university arc to link them in!

Susan is just in a romantic relationship with everybody she's not related to.

More seriously, I definitely see some kind of Tedd/Grace/Sarah/Sam polycule in the making, but whether it's a quad or not I'm honestly uncertain.

Also, I forget how long it's been since Elliot and Sarah broke up. I want to say about two months? So while I suspect that the Tedd/Grace/Sarah triad has been in the making for a while I don't see it becoming official for a few more months. I do have to say that I find that it feels much more natural than Elliot/Ashley if only because it seems to be moving slower.
    You're forgetting that Elliot is apparently at least a little bi(shirts verses skin with Noah helped him figure that out,) there was an NP arc that had heavy shiptease with Tedd and Cheerleadra Elliot that included the two of them simultaneously have a mental image of kissing the other, Grace has been trying to get the two of them to be comfortable with cuddling(and seems to be doing well with it) and has said that she can picture them kissing, and Tedd/Tess and Elliot/Ellen are a thing, or at least one crushing on the other, in every universe where they have compatible genders and sexualities that we've seen.

Don't be surprised if we see Tedd making out with Cheeleadra while Grace cuddles Ashley at some point in the future.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

You're forgetting that Elliot is apparently at least a little bi
    Bah, that doesn't count as evidence! Everybody knows that EGS only has two sexualities: gay and unlabelled pansexual.

Show

15. - Top - End - #495
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Knowing this comic, by the time they graduate from college, in the 2070s, every youth in Moperville around their age* will be part of one huge polyamorous relationship.

*Except Rich.
    Now, now. Maybe there's an uryuom out there for him.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Dwarf in the Playground

To post something before Monday changes the actual Comic:

If i could be 20 years younger, i'd like to grow up to be like Mr.Verres.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Hehe.
    So while I suspect that the Tedd/Grace/Sarah triad has been in the making for a while I don't see it becoming official for a few more months.
    Last panel is strongly suggesting that there's more than "in the making" here.
    https://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/oc-08