New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Oh no! The comic turned 20 today! The thread title is now inaccurate!
    Corrected, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

I'm a bit late, but congratulations to Dan for sticking to it for twenty years!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay, not gonna lie, having Tedd go wouldn't be a bad idea

Tedd is: Relatively friendly, intelligent, likely to get on good terms with science griffin... And ungodly powerful magically speaking, which, under the hypothesis that magic power correlates to authority and perceived authority may result in a more positive reaction.

...Though, as I type this it occurs to me that someone too powerful might be taken as a threat.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

If Ed Verres is even considering bringing the senior Dunkels along, that means that at some point they were highly trained in some field or other. Which is difficult to reconcile with Mrs Dunkel dropping out of college to raise a child.

5. - Top - End - #155

I think it's just more of Ed's parental blindness. Fact is that bringing Grace and Tedd would be good ideas, and neither of them would have much to fear (Grace after all comes from a weird supersoldier program and she is absurdly powerful, Tedd could make a wand or watch of very expeditious retreat if needed), while bringing in the Dunkels would be a terrible idea. (Unless Dan Shives is going for the surprise reveal that they're overpowered badasses too but that wouldn't bring anything interesting to the story as well as contradict all their previous characterization.)

Adults that could be called in: Adrian Raven and Sensei Greg. Would be nice to see Greg again, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

6. - Top - End - #156

Thank you for being the voice of reason here, Tedd.

("Let's make a ton of preparations for them to attack us!" is an excellent approach if you want to maximize the likelihood of your current amicable relationship breaking down.)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    If Ed Verres is even considering bringing the senior Dunkels along, that means that at some point they were highly trained in some field or other. Which is difficult to reconcile with Mrs Dunkel dropping out of college to raise a child.
    There's a running gag of the Dunkels being bizarrely competent in supernatural matters for a while.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-01-24 at 01:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158

Yep, first they were oddly lenient and unfazed about the whole Elliot-Ellen thing, then they turned out oddly well-organised when they mounted a search party to look for Ellen when she was possessed by Sirlek.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Yep, first they were oddly lenient and unfazed about the whole Elliot-Ellen thing, then they turned out oddly well-organised when they mounted a search party to look for Ellen when she was possessed by Sirlek.
    And there is also the fact that Elliot is not even really sure what they are doing for a living.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Clearly, spikey-haired girl should be named Barb.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Clearly, spikey-haired girl should be named Barb.
    My hatred for this idea is only matched by my desire for it to come true.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #162

BardGuy

While I know the "has anyone ever named a character 'Spike' before" is likely in jest, the realization that Cowboy Bebop is likely no longer a mainstay of geeky anime kids/youths (beyond maybe the live action thing, if I remember correctly) hit me surprisingly hard there.

Probably will be rewatching it in a few days now. It's how these things tend to go.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2022-01-25 at 05:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    While I know the "has anyone ever named a character 'Spike' before" is likely in jest, the realization that Cowboy Bebop is likely no longer a mainstay of geeky anime kids/youths (beyond maybe the live action thing, if I remember correctly) hit me surprisingly hard there.

Probably will be rewatching it in a few days now. It's how these things tend to go.
    It's definitely in jest. I believe Dan has made references to Buffy the Vampire Slayer abd My Little Pony, both of which also have characters named Spike. That's just what I can think of offhand.

Land Before Time as another thing that immediately comes to mind, though no reference to that has ever been made as far as I recall.

14. - Top - End - #164

Don't forget about Spike Lee and Spike Trotman. Yeah they're real people instead of characters but it totally counts.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

And yet everybody forgets Spike Milligan.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

According to Wikipedia, there's a character named Spike in the Dragonball franchise, and one from Happy Days.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    It's definitely in jest. I believe Dan has made references to Buffy the Vampire Slayer abd My Little Pony, both of which also have characters named Spike.
    They also both have a character named Angel. Spike and Angel do not get along.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post

The Netflix adaptation did a lot to bring Cowboy Bebop into popular consciousness. Sure, it sucked, but the name is probably more recognizable now than it's ever been. Even bad live action has a wider spread than good anime.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Did Mr. Verres just acknowledge Tedd as a (sometimes) woman? Or was he counting the Kitsunes as family? But Akiko never struck me as stubborn.

20. - Top - End - #170

She refused extra cookies & smuggled milk and cookies to Nanase against their mother's wishes. I'd say that shows backbone.

21. - Top - End - #171

Did Mr. Verres just acknowledge Tedd as a (sometimes) woman? Or was he counting the Kitsunes as family? But Akiko never struck me as stubborn.
    You forgot the woman who abandoned Tedd and him...

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

I remembered her, but if she and Grace were the only two women in the family, the phrasing "every other woman" would be weird, "the other woman" would be the expected phrasing.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

I remembered her, but if she and Grace were the only two women in the family, the phrasing "every other woman" would be weird, "the other woman" would be the expected phrasing.
    Mr. Verres probably has a mother, though.

But yes, I think he meant the Kitsunes.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Mr. Verres probably has a mother, though.

But yes, I think he meant the Kitsunes.
    Let's not discount Edward's potential siblings!

But yeah, he if he was just talking about himself, Tedd, and Grace he'd have likely used household instead of family. He's including Noriko at a minimum, and while we have no idea how wide a net he's casting he's from a line of powerful wizards and his wife's from a family of monster hunters. Both lend themselves to stubbornness.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

25. - Top - End - #175

It would be really weird if Edward said "family" and didn't mean his child's aunt who lives in the same town as him and her children. So...Noriko, Akiko, Nanase, and Nanase's-mother-who-doesn't-have-a-name (but sure has a lot of tortured apologetics on the fanwikis, sheesh).

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    (but sure has a lot of tortured apologetics on the fanwikis, sheesh).
    ...What does this mean in context?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...What does this mean in context?
    I would assume it means there are lots of people (or a few really loud people) who try justifying Nanase's mother as not being that bad.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

28. - Top - End - #178

Grace, you don't know what you're getting into.

With his exaggerated musculature and flamboyant poses and attitude, that guy *clearly* has a Stand.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Grace, you don't know what you're getting into.

With his exaggerated musculature and flamboyant poses and attitude, that guy *clearly* has a Stand.
    No Rater, She is an idealistic young teen who doesn't get the social etiquette around her and has great power hidden within herself.

that is practically the most powerful thing in shonen battle anime to ever exist. it wouldn't matter if he had the best stand for dodgeball, or even the greatest most powerful Stand to ever exist, because mid way through the fight when all hope seems lost, she'd suddenly have a better one. worse, he is a smug arrogant jerk who is questioning her power and thinks she thinks too highly of herself- he's practically the shonen battle protag's normal prey.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-02-01 at 03:41 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Then again, when that guy was surprised at the end of the previous strip, his hair indicates he was on the verge of going super-sayan.

Then again-again, Grace's hairstyle suggests she's somehow connected to Kurama. And he's not someone you want to mess with, lest you end up like Elder Toguro.