New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    The discussion in today's comic once again makes me sad for the English language and it's lack of gradient in speech. Scared implies passive and active fear, whereas a word for "healthy respect/fear" doesn't really exist, and putting it that way verbally sounds like an excuse.

A healthy amount of concern and risk mitigation kinda needs a different set of shorthand words than just "scared"; it's just such a severe word.
    "Wary" perhaps? It's the closest to that I can think of, but it might not carry the entire load. Not a native speaker.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2022-02-18 at 02:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive VII: The Comic is 20 Years Old, but the Cast is Still 18

I think Sarah meant what she said.

I also think she's right about Elliott's reaction and the people here attempting to paint said reaction as more reason-based than she did (plus Elliott, who immediately had the same reaction as some posts here seem to be) are wrong.

That said, I am somewhat confused. The comic seems to be setting up for a "see, the way you act legitimately scares other people" lesson for Elliott, but he has never struck me as thinking himself better than he actually is; on his first date with Ashley, he tried to convince her his fondness for fighting bullies made him a bad person.
    Last edited by Kish; 2022-02-19 at 11:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think Sarah meant what she said.

I also think she's right about Elliott's reaction and the people here attempting to paint said reaction as more reason-based than she did (plus Elliott, who immediately had the same reaction as some posts here seem to be) are wrong.

That said, I am somewhat confused. The comic seems to be setting up for a "see, the way you act legitimately scares other people" lesson for Elliott, but he has never struck me as thinking himself better than he actually is; on his first date with Ashley, he tried to convince her his fondness for fighting bullies made him a bad person.
    This feels like the setup for Elliot having his own "Lord Tedd" moment - getting a strong look at what he would be if he became the Bad Guy. And, conversely, that he isn't a Bad Guy now.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

"You didn't like me at first?
    -In my defense, the comic used to be way edgier. Remember when people called me "Shade Tail"? Like, unironically call me that?"
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #245

Gah. There's no ambiguity in the strip Dan links that Grace was (correctly, if you read the next few strips) concerned that Elliott was going to brush Sarah off with "it's a crush and I have a girlfriend." Unnecessary retcons, we hates them, my precious.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Gah. There's no ambiguity in the strip Dan links that Grace was (correctly, if you read the next few strips) concerned that Elliott was going to brush Sarah off with "it's a crush and I have a girlfriend." Unnecessary retcons, we hates them, my precious.
    I think Dan wanted to point out the specific "Ugh, I wonder why" reaction to the notion that Sarah wants to date Elliot rather than the concerns about Elliot's plans for the evening.

Also, what show is Ashley talking about? I forgot.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Also, what show is Ashley talking about? I forgot.
    Movie review online show that Elliot and Susan produce together. The whole thing started here.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Movie review online show that Elliot and Susan produce together. The whole thing started here.
    Oh, yes, that's a show, I forgot.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Who wants to engage in wild speculation about who's moving, and where?

I'm going to guess that Van, Tedd's half-brother, will be moving in with the Verreses (or however you pluralize Verres). You see, logically, if you relocate to a new home on the other side of an ocean, you rent a U-Haul and drive there. Everyone else we know lives in Moperville, so they'd just use a pickup truck and a pressgang of acquaintances. So by process of elimination, a minor taking trans-Atlantic road trip is the only reasonable direction this plot could go.

That and the comic outright says "a moving Van" will show up. So Van will show up, and he'll be moving (in).

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

100% it's the Uyruom secretary lady that Mr. Verres has a thing with moving into the Verres house.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

11. - Top - End - #251

It's also possible that they have to move to another house for some reason?

I mean, the way the last paragraph is phrased it seems like whatever's happening is inevitable, a done deal.

If Mr. Verres was only considering moving, or moving someone into the home, then not talking about it before it was decided with the other people living in his home would be what is referred to as a "**** move."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    100% it's the Uyruom secretary lady that Mr. Verres has a thing with moving into the Verres house.
    Would she really need a van? The Verres' home is already furnished.

My reading was definitely that the Verres (and Grace) are moving out.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #253
    Firbolg in the Playground

I read it in a very simple way: do you mean to wait until Ted has moved out?

EDIT: however, Fyraltari's version also makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2022-02-26 at 08:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

My first thought was that the Verreses are moving, but on further reflection I'm not so sure. Mostly because of the use of the phrase "moving van" - they have just too much stuff to fit into a van.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    My first thought was that the Verreses are moving, but on further reflection I'm not so sure. Mostly because of the use of the phrase "moving van" - they have just too much stuff to fit into a van.
    Well that's just wrong. I've been a part of more than enough moves to safely say that you can absolutely fit an entire house into a U-Haul.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that's just wrong. I've been a part of more than enough moves to safely say that you can absolutely fit an entire house into a U-Haul.
    U-Haul primarily rents trucks, though, not vans.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    U-Haul primarily rents trucks, though, not vans.
    I'm assuming "moving van" is being used generically and is not literally a van because actual moving vans aren't really a thing anymore.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

I'm assuming "moving van" is being used generically and is not literally a van because actual moving vans aren't really a thing anymore.
    They are; at least near me, U-Haul also rents vans. It's cheaper and easier to drive, if that's enough space for your move.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

And I've been assuming that it was meant literally, because I've never heard anyone use the term "moving van" to refer to a truck. Perhaps this is just a difference in dialect.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

The two possibilities that come to mind are either that the moving van is to move all of Tedd's magic stuff to his new lab, or that Verres is moving out and leaving everybody else behind. It seems too out of character for more than that not to be mentioned, and Tedd did notice that Verres was suddenly not having an issue with the gender situation - which could suggest a separation.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Definitely a dialect issue here. In the US, a "moving van" can be a large tractor-semitrailer truck with capacity for moving a couple of houses worth of furniture and other goods cross-country.

22. - Top - End - #262

After some reflection, I think it could be Van by himself w/o Noriko. She may want her son the seer to meet other seers, to say nothing of his half sibling. And God only knows what she's feeling about Tedd now she knows he is a seer.
    (Also the comment about the previous Sunday being apocalyptically bad timing due to having just learned of Noriko's disfigurement.)
    Also also: What DavidSh said.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2022-02-26 at 08:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263

The more I think about Van moving in, the more I like the idea... But I don't think it would be...

We know that the Will of MAgic told Van that Tedd was his half-sibling, but we don't know why, what the full conversation was, or if Van told Noriko when he woke up.

But if the infamous Monster hunter ran into some trouble and needs someone to watch her kid for a while for his safety, why not call up her well-connected powerful wizard ex-husband?

Which would, of course, ty into Tedd's own issues... We don't know exactly when Noriko left Edward and Tedd, but Van... Van looks to be just a bit younger than Tedd was when he met Elliot, which was during the point in time where Tedd was so withdrawn that Nanase thought he was mute, which Edward implied was a direct result of abandonment.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just wanted to add +1 to Celestia´s Comment.

The whole conversation and setup says to me: "Relationship between Mr. Verres and Lavender progressed, she is moving into the house of Mr. Verres. She has enough stuff to need a van, not surprising for an adult. The house belongs to Mr.Verres alone, so he can decide such stuff without consulting his as-of-yet underage Son, whose Girlfriend moved accidentely in anyway, granted as a fugitive at first; plus, they will soon progress to college and can then move out if they wish to. The only awkward thing here is that Mr.Verres did not yet tell Ted and Grace about it, because it is a little awkward to tell your almost-adult kids stuff like this."

I really see no other outcome to this setup. Actually, i would take a bet on it.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Adaon Nightwind View Post
    his as-of-yet underage Son
    Tedd is 18, and therefore a legal adult.

Like, in the New Years arc it was stated that Susan was the youngest of the group and she was turning 18 there which would confirm that the whole group was 18, and Tedd confirmed that he was 18 when Larry was hitting on him.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Adaon Nightwind View Post
    Just wanted to add +1 to Celestia´s Comment.

The whole conversation and setup says to me: "Relationship between Mr. Verres and Lavender progressed, she is moving into the house of Mr. Verres. She has enough stuff to need a van, not surprising for an adult. The house belongs to Mr.Verres alone, so he can decide such stuff without consulting his as-of-yet underage Son, whose Girlfriend moved accidentely in anyway, granted as a fugitive at first; plus, they will soon progress to college and can then move out if they wish to. The only awkward thing here is that Mr.Verres did not yet tell Ted and Grace about it, because it is a little awkward to tell your almost-adult kids stuff like this."

I really see no other outcome to this setup. Actually, i would take a bet on it.
    I guess both Verres are fans of David Bowie.

By the way, was it just a freak occurrence that Susan and Diane were born a day apart?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    By the way, was it just a freak occurrence that Susan and Diane were born a day apart?
    Yup! Here are the details as described by Pandora.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

28. - Top - End - #268

Upon further consideration, I feel that Adaon Nightwind is correct.

29. - Top - End - #269

Elliot's eagerness to reach for the "villain form" does make it substantially more likely that he will assume it at some point.

I reserve the right to call him an idiot when he does. In fact I'm also going to do so right now, for the reason I outlined here. Like so:

*draws breath*

Elliot, you are an idiot.

30. - Top - End - #270

Compared to the grim approach of Edward and Elliot wanting to protect him with his life, I find Grace's happy outlook somewhat creepy.