New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default is it ok to link things from drivethrurpg?

so i thought id check if linking a free pdf from drviethrurpg is ok, before i get my head bitten off

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: is it ok to link things from drivethrurpg?

Normally "free" is okay, but drivethrurpg is a for-profit site - which by forum rules (https://forums.giantitp.com/announcement.php?a=1) is not okay. In these instances I think you should contact the Moderators of the subforum you want to post in.

Good luck!
    Last edited by rredmond; 2021-12-09 at 04:27 PM.
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Ogre: Context is King.

For example, I have a link to things I've written that are on DriveThru in my signature; lots of folks do, and since it is creative work I've done, it's not a problem. If it were a link to my multi-level marketing page or my tax consultant business (which I do not have), it would be a lot bigger problem, since they're not creative works. I also regularly post links to Drivethru PDFs when they are relevant to the conversation; if I'm talking about something from AD&D's Spells & Magic supplement, I'll post a link to it.

However, if what I'm posting is an advertisement for a new product I've made, I can post it to the appropriate Member Produced Commercial Content thread; that's the general one, and there are also ones for 5e and 3.x. In the future, I might reference them when in context ("Oh, you're talking about Pixie PCs? I've got a PDF about that!"), but, then, you will also want to provide a bit more context about your link... things related to the specific issue, not just "I have a PDF that answers your question, so you can pay me for the answer." Participate in the conversation, don't just post an ad.

Within those guidelines, and assuming they don't break other rules, PDFs at Drivethru, or images at deviantart, are usually not a problem.

That said, what rredmond says is also true: When in doubt, PM a mod.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2021-12-09 at 05:41 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

ok thank you!