New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Group based Magic

One thing I think would be very fun in D&D, but have never seen before, is group magic. I'm talking about magic cult circles, where each spellcaster adds his power to the circle, to make a really potentant spell.

Now, I've noticed that it does actually exist, but it usually involves epic magic. What if I wanted something a little more practical, such as multiple level 1 wizards put their powers together, over a circle that cost a hefty gold, and each passes a spellcraft check, to cast a level 3 spell. Could it work? Or is it too broken?
    I'll race you to the top of the spire.

HOW TO ROLL ON THE FORUM SITE:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Orlove View Post
    For example: [roll=Spot ]1d20+5[/roll ] would show up (without the extra spaces) as a normal roll.
    There's also [rollv=NameOfRoll]xdy+z[/rollv] which will show you all the individual rolls, eg: [rollv=strength ]4d6[/rollv ] gives you 4 rolls, and their sum.
    [roll=strength ]4d6b3[/roll ] gives you the best 3 of the 4 rolls

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Group based Magic

I just discovered that the 'Red Wizard' is not included in the SRD. Huh. But check that one out - it's a prestige class from the DMG. Not /quite/ what you're looking for, though.

I believe the complete Mage has the 'Mage of the Arcane Order' prestige class, which sounds like exactly what you want - a spell 'pool' which others in the 'guild' can pull from
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Agreed. If you want, you can look around, some people have built their own spellcraft based magic systems. They might work well.
    Heal yourself * Hurt yourself * Judge yourself

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PMDM View Post
    One thing I think would be very fun in D&D, but have never seen before, is group magic. I'm talking about magic cult circles, where each spellcaster adds his power to the circle, to make a really potentant spell.

Now, I've noticed that it does actually exist, but it usually involves epic magic. What if I wanted something a little more practical, such as multiple level 1 wizards put their powers together, over a circle that cost a hefty gold, and each passes a spellcraft check, to cast a level 3 spell. Could it work? Or is it too broken?
    Psionics seems to be a good start, with powers such as Metaconcert or Fusion