New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Incomplete plotlines...

Anyone else wonders what is going on in the place where the god moot was being held? what about the dwarven lands? what about the exiled paladins? I am sure we will return to those plotlines in some point in the future, but I really wonder where we will go.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Incomplete plotlines...

Upon gaining use of the Mechane this point was brought up, and the author was fairly clear that the main characters were not going to fly around completing every open quest like in a video game.

I would suspect that some of those dangling plot hooks become their own story, but I am betting we've seen the last of some.

As an example, if we never see a resolution of the Godsmoot, how will it matter to the story?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

well, the godsmoot determines if the deities give up... so... it need not be like a videogame, with the order of the stick finishing the plotlines, but with the plotlines finishing themselves and having lasting effect on the plot hook, while the author's art is intentionally simple, his comedy and story building is definitely complex and amazing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gnomish dwelf View Post
    well, the godsmoot determines if the deities give up... so... it need not be like a videogame, with the order of the stick finishing the plotlines, but with the plotlines finishing themselves and having lasting effect on the plot hook, while the author's art is intentionally simple, his comedy and story building is definitely complex and amazing.
    We never need to revisit the godsmoot. If the world continues, we know they voted no. If the world blows up suddenly from. Something we don't see, we know they voted yes. If the world blows up from other situations we do see, their vote is irrelevant.

We will likely never see the godsmoot again.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    We never need to revisit the godsmoot. If the world continues, we know they voted no. If the world blows up suddenly from. Something we don't see, we know they voted yes. If the world blows up from other situations we do see, their vote is irrelevant.

Ok, that sounds reasonable, but i will miss it :'(

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I think we'll get a shot of the gods cancelling it once the threat of the Snarl is over. And Hel's situation might get a reference given that she now has two vampire clerics to start her own church and solve her souls problem.

But none of those are really incomplete plotlines, they're just things that no longer concern the Order. The exiled Azurites have a new homeland. Tarquin is inconsequential to the main story, that's the whole point of why Elan called in a the Mechane crew. The Order showing up to deal with him just proves him right. The dwarven issue and the Godsmoot issues are both resolved with the Snarl.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else wonders what is going on in the place where the god moot was being held? what about the dwarven lands?
    Nothing much.

what about the exiled paladins?
    Who?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Azure City was taken, the city of paladins became the city of goblins, while globotopia was founded the paladins left in search of a new land to call home. They are effectively exiled.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Azure City was taken, the city of paladins became the city of goblins, while globotopia was founded the paladins left in search of a new land to call home. They are effectively exiled.
    Quick note Azurite =/= paladins. Of the Azurites, Hinjo, O-Chul and Lien are the only paladins left. Kazumi and Daigo, for example, aren't paladins. (Meanwhile, Sir François, seen here, is a non-Azurite paladin).

Last we've heard of them, Hinjo learned of the Resistance's destruction and seemed like he decided to head for Kraagor's Gate?
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

V already resolved that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hinjo, O-Chul and Lien are the only paladins left.
    That's not technically true. Many were away at the time of the battle, and out of those, we've only learned Thanh's fate.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Anyone else wonders what is going on in the place where the god moot was being held? what about the dwarven lands? what about the exiled paladins? I am sure we will return to those plotlines in some point in the future, but I really wonder where we will go.
    We got semi-resolutions. Durkon's family and friends are hunting the vampires and the dwarves are taking anti-domination precautions while they work on getting the new table. The Godsmoot will continue indefinitely until that happens. And the whole point of Tarquin is that he'd fall off-screen because if he's relevant, he wins, but if he's a mere footnote, he loses.

There are several much more interesting, open things to resolve:

- Redcloak stole Xykon's phylactery; what will become of that?
    - Roy told Roy's Archon to work on a plan in Celestia; what was it, and will it work?
    - What are the fiends up to with their "direct action" and "artifact" with a "suitable vessel" that Sabine is getting?
    - What species is the MITD? When will he get his big dramatic reveal, and how?
    - How will Belkar meet his ultimate prophesized fate?
    - Ultimate fate of Xykon & Redcloak. It's doubtful it's as simple as a battle where they get snuffed out.
    - What's up with the planet in the rift? (Yes, I know Rich has said the Snarl is just the MacGuffin, but the stuff in the rifts has been referenced enough it would be REALLY weird if it did not matter, unless there was a point to it not mattering)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That's not technically true. Many were away at the time of the battle, and out of those, we've only learned Thanh's fate.
    While that's not wrong, we also know that Hinjo had to resort to employing Daigo and Kazumi to train his troops, implying that all of those are still missing.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Not to mention the detailed efforts to make their new land their homeland, led by Hinjo and the Katos in GDGU. And I just noticed this from Rich in 2018.
    Spoiler: GDGU Spoiler for the main strip
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by GDGU Introduction
    Hinjo, on the other hand, still has a major role to play in events yet to come, so it’s not bad to be able to check in on him, too.
    Emphasis Mine
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    We got semi-resolutions. Durkon's family and friends are hunting the vampires and the dwarves are taking anti-domination precautions while they work on getting the new table. The Godsmoot will continue indefinitely until that happens. And the whole point of Tarquin is that he'd fall off-screen because if he's relevant, he wins, but if he's a mere footnote, he loses.

- Roy told Roy's Archon to work on a plan in Celestia; what was it, and will it work?
    - What are the fiends up to with their "direct action" and "artifact" with a "suitable vessel" that Sabine is getting?
    - Ultimate fate of Xykon & Redcloak. It's doubtful it's as simple as a battle where they get snuffed out.
    - What's up with the planet in the rift? (Yes, I know Rich has said the Snarl is just the MacGuffin, but the stuff in the rifts has been referenced enough it would be REALLY weird if it did not matter, unless there was a point to it not mattering)
    yes, those are interesting, but I believe that seeing new azurite city being founded would be interesting too

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

While that's not wrong, we also know that Hinjo had to resort to employing Daigo and Kazumi to train his troops, implying that all of those are still missing.
    Figures. Sometimes I do wonder what became of those folks we've never seen.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

yes, those are interesting, but I believe that seeing new azurite city being founded would be interesting too
    There is a story about the Azurites' new settlement in the print/PDF book, Good Deeds Gone Unpunished.

(Fun side note: I mistakenly typed that as "Good Deeds Gone Unpublished" before noticing the error ... whoops!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think we'll see Tarquin again, though maybe in a scene with Ian and not with the Order. There's still the dangling question of what the secret plan is that Elan whispered to Ian.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post

Quick note Azurite =/= paladins. Of the Azurites, Hinjo, O-Chul and Lien are the only paladins left. Kazumi and Daigo, for example, aren't paladins. (Meanwhile, Sir François, seen here, is a non-Azurite paladin).

Last we've heard of them, Hinjo learned of the Resistance's destruction and seemed like he decided to head for Kraagor's Gate?
    Yeah, not all paladins are azurites, and not all azurites are paladins, many azurites aren't paladins, but most paladins we have seen are azurites...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

It's a moot point.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    I think we'll see Tarquin again, though maybe in a scene with Ian and not with the Order. There's still the dangling question of what the secret plan is that Elan whispered to Ian.
    I would be astonished if we saw Tarquin again. The conclusion to the Empire of Blood arc established that Tarquin isn't part of Elan's story and he's not relevant to the comic's narrative. Having the comic show what's going on with Tarquin or the efforts to overthrow him would invalidate that conclusion, and I can't think of anything that would justify doing so.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Satisfy your curiosity by reading Good Deeds Gone Unpunished:
    Software Format
    Sofecover Format
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks, now I know what I will ask for xmass {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-12-13 at 06:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I would be astonished if we saw Tarquin again.
    And I would be astonished if we didn't, even if only in a sequel book that focuses on Western continent. There are too many loose ends up there, even if they are not relevant to the main plot now.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Empire of Blood is a part of Elan's story, but it's no the main story of the comic. It's likely to be something that gets addressed in an epilogue.

The one thing about it that might need to be checked up on is the Snarl coming out of the Girard's gate- but just like the other plot threads mentioned here, that will be taken care of by the resolution of the main plot. We don't need a whole storyline devoted to it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

An in-comic resolution to many of these issues would reduce the number of available plot hooks in the 'Stickverse Campaign Setting' that nobody is talking about publishing yet.

I say leave them dangling so Milton the quarter-dragon lizardfolk cleric that I just rolled up can undergo his apprenticeship with Myron before betraying him and feeding him to his one true queen after lacing the corpse with the most toxic substance known to dragons that he disguised as powdered sugar so that he is hailed as a hero by the populace and be too popular for any duly elected governmemt to ignore so he can whisper in the ears of whoever assumes control of the former Empire of Blood.

Wow, I've thought about that a bit too much. Anyway...

Campaign setting plot hooks. Let players tie up the unfinished storylines.

Ooooh! A sponsored tournament in Lake Geneva where players gather for a weekend of revelry and a 16 hour marathon where DMs are given 6-8 players and an adventure module for each of the unfinished sub-plots!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    An in-comic resolution to many of these issues would reduce the number of available plot hooks in the 'Stickverse Campaign Setting' that nobody is talking about publishing yet.

I say leave them dangling so Milton the quarter-dragon lizardfolk cleric that I just rolled up can undergo his apprenticeship with Myron before betraying him and feeding him to his one true queen after lacing the corpse with the most toxic substance known to dragons that he disguised as powdered sugar so that he is hailed as a hero by the populace and be too popular for any duly elected governmemt to ignore so he can whisper in the ears of whoever assumes control of the former Empire of Blood.

Wow, I've thought about that a bit too much. Anyway...

Campaign setting plot hooks. Let players tie up the unfinished storylines.

Ooooh! A sponsored tournament in Lake Geneva where players gather for a weekend of revelry and a 16 hour marathon where DMs are given 6-8 players and an adventure module for each of the unfinished sub-plots!
    that's a cool idea, turning it into modules

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    And I would be astonished if we didn't, even if only in a sequel book that focuses on Western continent. There are too many loose ends up there, even if they are not relevant to the main plot now.
    You've got an outstanding avatar Mister Havran
    You are reading a group of ten completely false words...

____
    May the force protect you from the ill will of the nightmarish combat wombat.
    May you never feel prey to the urges of being a culture vulture...
    May you, above all and most importantly, have the luck to pat a nat cat.

29. - Top - End - #29

Long term stuff like the azurites' fate sounds like something that would be brought up in the epilogue (like setting the after-adventure bar-crawl in new-and-shiny-and-20%-bluer Azure city), and not during the story itself, where it would just grind the narration to a stop.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    If we ever get back to the western continent, my money would be on "after Tarkin has been defeated by another hero or villain". Getting defeated offscreen by a b-ranker nobody is interested about would be a nice "screw you" for Tarkin
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2021-12-17 at 05:34 AM.