New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1250 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zonkerbl View Post
    So now "a tv show that went on so long that the writers ran out of good ideas for it" is one that has "jumped the shark."

Like Supernatural.
    The Indiana Jones films gave us "nuking the fridge". It's the film series' equivalent to shark jumping. YMMV on which films have nuked the fridge, but I nominate the Fast & the Furious series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    I beg to differ:
    True, but here's how I see it: The Order genuinely expected not to have any of Serini's information when formulating their plan to defeat Xykon. The information would definitely be nice, and no doubt Roy (and Durkon maybe) could incorporate it. But if Serini denies them that information they're no worse off than they were before she attacked. Therefore Haley feels like she has nothing to lose by going all in.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

The Order was probably expecting Serini to be dead or at least unavailable given that Serini hadn't responded to any of the Sendings so far and four of the five Scribblers were dead by the time the OotS was even founded.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

I like Serini but I think Haley had the better of this one - unfortunately it looks like Razor is about to forget everything they know and so leave The Order and Serini having to deal with an amnesiac shark.

5. - Top - End - #95

AssassinGuy

Yeah! This Azurite trial Halley's aphasia Roy's afterlife Azurites at sea Godsmoot Andi/Bandanna airship Dwarven council Serini plotline has gone on too far too long!
    I spilled my coffee reading this one . Well played indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Thank you Lien, everyone is Friggin DoneTM with Serini being as humanly hobbitly/halflingly frustrating as possible without being actually Evil a Lawful Stupid Paladin and I don't think a shark to the face will actually kill her anyways.
    Fixed it for you

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Serini's tactic is kind of a "hold yourself hostage" thing - like in Blazing Saddles. Nice.
    Except Haley and V aren't "just people of the land, the common clay of the West. You know … morons." jury is still out on Belkar (let a Kobold outwit him), Durkon (trusted a Vampire), Roy (engaged in aerial combat without Feather Fall and Flying , and Elan (equates nudity to invisibility)... V's moron moment required a confluence of terrible events which were literally orchestrated by a faction of pure evil (who we haven't seen the last of, as they have at least one if not two more rounds of Chekov's Gun to trigger).

Quote Originally Posted by gnomish dwelf View Post
    you imagine the day order of the stick becomes a cartoon?
    I have a feeling it will end up very Dragon Ball or Game of Thrones, with the series catching up with the author too fast and many filler episodes being required to compensate for the story not being completed and/or the production company wanting to milk it for as long as they can. Might even go a little One Piece, with entire episodes or even a season of cross-genre what if, dream sequence, rehashing, or historic reenactment (like a season of the Order of the Stick being cast as the Order of the Scribble to tell the unwritten tale of how Soon/Roy, Lirian/Haley, Dorukan/V, Kraagor/Durkon, Serini/Belkar, and Girard/Elan first met and some of their adventures along the way).

I think potions can be used as splash weapons actually.
    Pretty sure that requires a feat, but since I have played a halfling that had that feat before level 4, it is very possible that Serini does possess it. That said, fairly sure Razor does not have that feat, so since it would be Razor triggering the splash, not Serini, it would not apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanwolf View Post
    What's a Ray-zergo?
    With the pokeball and the question Serini is giving off powerful "every old person in tv" energy. Like my grandma trying to understand pokemon when I was 12.
    I was taking it as a joke off of things like Ray of Enfeeblement, Ray of Frost, and other Ray spells, so spellcasters would by default think anything starting with Ray is a Ray Spell or Spell-like ability (Serinai was just riding around on a Beholder non-intellectual property infringing Argus-like eyeball thingie also to not be confused with the Big Trouble in Little China Eyeball Thingie... which incidentally may be returning in a coming soon sequel or remake).

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    Conjecture: Serini is actually winning the bluff-off here.

Because she is not actually bluffing about the potion. She is stalling by bluffing about the potion.
    But isn't Haley actually winning then, because she isn't actually bluffing but actually stalling to coax Serini into monologuing and allowing the Paladins to have a chance to escape, thereby getting the info they were intending to get (from the Paladins) and the info they didn't intend to get (Serini) at the same time while appearing to be bluffing while calling Serini's stalling bluff as a bluff?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pax_Chi View Post
    I am very much enjoying Haley wield her +5 knife of BS cutting,
    Yes, and your point in self awareness is agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    True, but here's how I see it: The Order genuinely expected not to have any of Serini's information when formulating their plan to defeat Xykon. The information would definitely be nice, and no doubt Roy (and Durkon maybe) could incorporate it. But if Serini denies them that information they're no worse off than they were before she attacked. Therefore Haley feels like she has nothing to lose by going all in.
    Yep. problem is, Serinis/Sunny attack has cost the party resources to deal with ... and when does the encounter with Xykon happen?
    The Order was probably expecting Serini to be dead or at least unavailable given that Serini hadn't responded to any of the Sendings so far and four of the five Scribblers were dead by the time the OotS was even founded.
    Yep.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #98

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I like Serini but I think Haley had the better of this one - unfortunately it looks like Razor is about to forget everything they know and so leave The Order and Serini having to deal with an amnesiac shark.
    Can sharks drink? Does breathing alcohol make a shark drunk?

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I would expect Haley to be more pragmatic than that.

I'm not trying to argue against the idea going back to where they were before Serini interrupted them is a fine outcome (and they get freed paladins as a bonus). It's certainly better than alternatives such as surrender.

And I would expect Haley to be able to recognize when to cut her losses -- in fact, I think she's generally a little too eager to do so.

I just don't think Haley is the type that needs to trick herself into thinking she has nothing to lose before she can accept that result.

I do think she's the type that might trick herself into thinking she can't win to rationalize taking the loss... but she's much better about not doing that than she used to be and I doubt she's doing that here.
    Last edited by Hurkyl; 2021-12-13 at 01:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

okay absolutely was not expecting razor the shark!

the new art style changes the pokeball colors, no longer red and white like the old comics
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Serini's tactic is kind of a "hold yourself hostage" thing - like in Blazing Saddles. Nice.
    Except when Bart holds himself hostage it's funny. Partly because he lampshades just how stupid it is for that to work.

I'm with others, I think that here, Serini is intended to be annoying, not funny.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yeah! This Azurite trial Halley's aphasia Roy's afterlife Azurites at sea Godsmoot Andi/Bandanna airship Dwarven council Serini plotline has gone on too far too long!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    I spilled my coffee reading this one . Well played indeed.
    "Would you stop pointing out the repetitiveness of the B-Plots and hurry up??"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #103

ElfWarriorGuy

I'm trying to think of ways that this *isn't* a bad bluff by Serini. She's an Epic Rogue and smart, so, yes this is going badly and she's stressed but you still wouldn't expect her to come out with a bluff that falls apart that quickly and I've thought of a couple ways in which this makes sense from Serini's point of view. Conveniently, they kind of work together.

1 - Serini went into this ambush thinking the Order thought she was alive and badly needed information from her. The Order (and the readers) know this isn't the case, but Serini might not. She knows the Order tried to contact her with Sending many many many times, has been to a bunch of other Gates, has done major research on the Scribblers and the Gates (they clearly know a good bit of the history behind the gates, even stuff that was a cosmic-level secret), and skipped the initial trap apparently on their way straight to Serini's hideout.

From her perspective, sure, they might think she was dead and were just being both thorough and lucky, but the more paranoid take was that the Order knew she was alive, already knew some of her tricks, and were on their way to get the information out of her that she had been unwilling to share with them.

2. As has been mentioned, Serini isn't bluffing at all. She's stalling. Before heading into her base, Serini felt things weren't going well but that she still had the situation in hand and she just needed a little more time. The Order was closer behind than she thought, but maybe she's still trying to buy that time. What she's stalling for, I'm unsure.

My best guess is she has a xorn or earth elemental friend who is on the way (maybe from an ambush in another tunnel Serini didn't end up taking) to... um, lets say grab the Order's feet so they can't get away (which is why Serini wanted them on the ground) and then knock the cauldron over hopefully splashing the party members and wiping their memories. Serini might be planning on jumping to safety or she might be immune to it somehow (thought probably not, seeing as how she wore gloves when mixing it).

This is kinda nice in that gives Serini multiple ways in which her bluffing makes sense. She thinks *Haley* is bluffing about the Order not wanting the information, plus Serini has no intention of wiping her own memories anyway. However, being surprise-grappled by Razor would be a serious problem, as it would stick her on the ground where she can't get away from the cauldron full of amnesia potions.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zonkerbl View Post
    There was a popular tv show in the seventies called "Happy Days" that went on for muuuuuuuuuch longer than it really should have. Looking back on the show, many fans speculated that the official downturn point of the show was an episode where the main character, Fonzie, does a daring water ski jump over a shark. This actually happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxG3iPeVcU

So now "a tv show that went on so long that the writers ran out of good ideas for it" is one that has "jumped the shark."

Like Supernatural.
    nope, supernatural never jumped the shark.

15. - Top - End - #105

PaladinGuy

It comes from an episode of Happy Days where one of the characters, while riding a motorcycle, jumped over a water tank with a shark in it. That episide is largely seen as a definitive point where the show was more bad than good, so "jumping the shark" as a phrase was born.
    Inaccurate. There was no motorcycle, nor a water tank.
    The rest is on point though :D

16. - Top - End - #106

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    2. As has been mentioned, Serini isn't bluffing at all. She's stalling. Before heading into her base, Serini felt things weren't going well but that she still had the situation in hand and she just needed a little more time. The Order was closer behind than she thought, but maybe she's still trying to buy that time. What she's stalling for, I'm unsure.

My best guess is she has a xorn or earth elemental friend who is on the way (maybe from an ambush in another tunnel Serini didn't end up taking) to... um, lets say grab the Order's feet so they can't get away (which is why Serini wanted them on the ground) and then knock the cauldron over hopefully splashing the party members and wiping their memories. Serini might be planning on jumping to safety or she might be immune to it somehow (thought probably not, seeing as how she wore gloves when mixing it).

The thing she mentioned in the last strip was needing to get more stuff from her "bag of tricks" that she had been saving. That could possibly refer to more monsters, but the only specific she mentioned was a replacement crossbow, and she stopped in front of a cabinet, presumably to retrieve additional items. I'm pretty sure she was here for items and can no longer retrieve them now that the Order has reached her sooner than expected.

In any case, in the event she had summoned more monsters to help out, I'm not sure how they would know to meet her in her sanctum and not at the site where she made contact, since it doesn't look like she's had time to communicate remotely since then.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Spamalot in the Playground

Not to mention Xykon having her diary - with no signs of anyone coming after him for it - and (usually) leaving no witnesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I guess the question about Chekov's Cauldron from the last strip has been answered.
    Last edited by Thermophille; 2021-12-13 at 02:41 PM.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Can sharks drink? Does breathing alcohol make a shark drunk?
    Can sharks use pogo sticks? Would a pogo stick make a shark jump?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Not to mention Xykon having her diary - with no signs of anyone coming after him for it - and (usually) leaving no witnesses.
    This. Finding her alive is a bonus unless she's not persuadable, in which case finding her makes her a liability since dealing with her consumes resources and there's a High Level Cleric and and Epic Level Liche on the prowl looking to end their quest for the gate sooner, not later.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Mattys View Post
    Inaccurate. There was no motorcycle, nor a water tank.
    The rest is on point though :D
    Well dang, memory is a helluva thing. I could swear I vividly remember him jumping a shark in a tnak on a motorcycle, and in the parking lot of Al's, no less! Crazy how we can fool. Ourselves sometimes.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    the new art style changes the pokeball colors, no longer red and white like the old comics
    As I pointed out earlier, I think it closely resembles a Dive Ball thrown upside down.

A fitting choice for an underwater predator like a shark.
    Last edited by The MunchKING; 2021-12-13 at 02:53 PM.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I never thought I would see a "bluff off," and I am not eager to see it again.
    Serini is making no sense, and I have no idea where this is going. Seems like an odd cliffhanger.
    Also, where does Lien keep the Pokeball?
    same place all the paladins keep their steeds, its just a manifestation of Celestia magic. they can maintain the Pokeball indefinitely but the Pokeball can itself be dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    I guess it's official we can confirm O-Chul doesn't have one (yet) cause if he could bring a horse or something, it sure as heck would have been useful now.
    If O-Chul gets to pick his mount, it would be a horse.

if the gods pick it, it would be a Living Construct Apparatus of the Crab.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

23. - Top - End - #113
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Well dang, memory is a helluva thing. I could swear I vividly remember him jumping a shark in a tnak on a motorcycle, and in the parking lot of Al's, no less! Crazy how we can fool. Ourselves sometimes.
    What made it epic fail was that he kept his leather jacket on.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Count me as being on Team "Lien is just the best".

I mean, who hasn't wanted to solve their problems by chucking a shark at it? :D

25. - Top - End - #115
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    I mean, who hasn't wanted to solve their problems by chucking a shark at it? :D
    O-Chul, I'd presume.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    For those of us who are not perfectly familiar with English idioms, what's the meaning of this one ?
    Nowadays its more or less synonym with nuking a fridge ...

jumping the shark means that .... <edit> Pelee had the better explanation

sch
    Last edited by schmunzel; 2021-12-13 at 03:42 PM.
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Pro Tip For Serini (from another oldster): when you decide to play the bluff game, know who you are trying to bluff. Underestimating the opposition in the game of bluff and counterbluff can get really expensive when you are at the poker table. Likewise in other scenarios.
    You can't con a con artist. And if you're going to try, you'd best be better than them.

Remember how quickly Haley saw through Xykon's (or rather, Redcloak's) "con" back in the Battle of Azure City?

28. - Top - End - #118

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickMopete View Post
    You can't con a con artist. And if you're going to try, you'd best be better than them.

Remember how quickly Haley saw through Xykon's (or rather, Redcloak's) "con" back in the Battle of Azure City?
    She got conned pretty hard by Bozzok, though, handing him a ton of money to raise his dead thieves that he decided to pocket and use for an assassination attempt on her. Although I suppose one could blame Celia for that, but Haley doesn't seem to have been any wiser to that particular bit of skulduggery.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

You're not that far off actually - you're conflating two separate episodes. Fonzie did do a big motorcycle jump in Al's parking lot fairly early in the series. The later episode was basically the writers saying "Hey, remember that time with the motorcycle jump? Let's do that again, but in Hawaii! On waterskis! With a shark!"
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Now my wizard wants to research a ray of zergo spell.