New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Short Story (I was told to share it here): The nothing which wanted to be something

Once upon a time there was a nothing which wanted to be something, anything… Or I should say there was not? It was not a man, an animal or a monster. It was neither light nor darkness, nor plant nor mineral, nor living nor dead, nor real nor false. It just was not. It was exactly that; nothing. Yet it had a strong desire to be something; anything.
    But how can nothing have something? Isn't having a property of anything which is, which isn't nothing? Enough to think that that nothing was, actually, something? Yet, if it was, what was it?
    To say that it was a nothing with great desire to be something should be understood as that it's whole self was filled by that desire. Because if it were something more it would be too much to believe it is nothing, so that nothing was, indeed, the desire itself, the desire to be something. But then, the nothing wasn't so, it was a desire to be what it didn't knew it was. Then, with the same system, we could say the nothing was both, the desire to be something and the ignorance of actually being something, even more, it was the desperation of not considering the wish fulfilled. But we have realized what the nothing was. Has it realized what it is?
    Yes, the nothing finally found out it was something and then it wanted to be more. By now it's beginning to see that it is actually an idea in a man who is writing it's story now and that therefore it is the man in the same way it's desire was it. Because that nothing was never so, it was all the time something, an idea and a man, a writer in his first footsteps through his life.

The end
    Last edited by gnomish dwelf; 2021-12-15 at 04:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Short Story (I was told to share it here): The nothing which wanted to be somethi

It's.. definitely very short, so there really isn't much to talk about.

The concepts aren't really groundbreaking, and you change the pronoun a bunch (who is "we"?).

It's so short that there isn't really a story: there was a nothing that wanted to be something, then it realized it already was, yup it was something.

You establish a character that wants something, and then just say "and then he got it". Did it struggle? How did he obtain it? How did if feel about it? Why is it important? Why should the reader care about it?

I do like the ending, the fact that it's a writer is cool, because it could be the writer of the story itself, or just mean that a writer makes ideas real.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Short Story (I was told to share it here): The nothing which wanted to be somethi

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    It's.. definitely very short, so there really isn't much to talk about.

The concepts aren't really groundbreaking, and you change the pronoun a bunch (who is "we"?).

It's so short that there isn't really a story: there was a nothing that wanted to be something, then it realized it already was, yup it was something.

You establish a character that wants something, and then just say "and then he got it". Did it struggle? How did he obtain it? How did if feel about it? Why is it important? Why should the reader care about it?
    it could be shorter, I wrote it for an examn in high school, the nothing was my lack of inspiration for a story at first

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    I do like the ending, the fact that it's a writer is cool, because it could be the writer of the story itself, or just mean that a writer makes ideas real.
    at least I got a twist ending to the lack of struggle (thanks for commenting)
    You are reading a group of ten completely false words...

____
    May the force protect you from the ill will of the nightmarish combat wombat.
    May you never feel prey to the urges of being a culture vulture...
    May you, above all and most importantly, have the luck to pat a nat cat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Confused. Why would you write this as a story in school?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by abdulbasit View Post
    Confused. Why would you write this as a story in school?
    because I needed the grade and I had to exhibit my use of the English language but I really didn't have any idea that could be expressed in the sort of language the examn was meant for, which was much less complex than the one I knew of.
    You are reading a group of ten completely false words...

____
    May the force protect you from the ill will of the nightmarish combat wombat.
    May you never feel prey to the urges of being a culture vulture...
    May you, above all and most importantly, have the luck to pat a nat cat.