I don't remember the name, and most of the details have been lost to memory (I'm in my thirties and I read the story in school when I was a kid), so my google-fu is failing me. I'm looking for a short story that, as best I can remember, goes something like this: a boy is selling coal (or something related to coal - fuel, at any rate) on behalf of his father in the wintertime. He ends up in a situation where people come to him begging for him to sell, as they desperately need the heat. However, they can't really afford to pay the normal price. So he's forced to make a decision - turn them away or not really make money. He chooses the people over the money. When he relays this to his father, he is surprisingly told he made the right decision. His father tells him that sometimes a man must choose between being a "good businessman" or a "good businessman."

His father's comment at the end really stuck with me, which is why I remember this story at all, even if I'm sure I got some of the details wrong in my summary. I'd like to find the story, but like I said, I fail at google.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.