New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Post [3.5] Student of Chaos / "Random" Magic Items

So, been thinking about the Wild Mage 3 "Student of Chaos" ability:

Student of Chaos (Ex): Whenever a wild mage of 3rd level or higher uses a magic item that offers a randomly determined effect (such as a bag of tricks or rod of wonder), she can roll twice and choose between the two results. If a random roll is made only once to determine the nature or contents of a device (for example, a robe of useful items or an iron flask), a wild mage gains no special advantage.
    Just wondering what other printed items this ability would work with?

• Deck of Illusions (there isn't technically a "roll" involved, so not sure?)
    • Deck of Many Things (there isn't technically a "roll" involved, so not sure?)
    • Kukri of Crippling (A&EG)
    • Nightblade (unique dagger) (MoF)
    • Rogue’s Dice (although the item does say "There is no method (mundane or magical) to predict or influence the result of a roll of Rogue’s dice.")
    • Shard (unique sword) (A&EG)
    • Well of Many Worlds

Would it extend to spell completion items like a Scroll of Prismatic Spray?

All suggestions welcome, looking for official 3.5 (and un-updated 3.0) material please.

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Student of Chaos / "Random" Magic Items

Not a use for this feature but for a similar effect, worth mentioning is also the wild touch feat from dragon 326. Once per day, but works for decks and scrolls too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It occurs to me that prismatic effects are random, so it might work with a Prismatic Burst weapon. Could even be extended to consumables. Edit: and that was in the OP already, heh.

MiC has a number of items with random effects, relics in particular. The Cornucopia of the Needful is one of the cheaper (possibly the cheapest) repeatable source of Heal spells, but you need to make the random roll.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2021-12-16 at 05:45 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

There's a die roll on all the different versions of the Horn of Valhalla to determine the number of barbarians summoned. It's kind of a corner case, but I think it still technically qualifies for the wording of the ability. I'm sure there are other items with narrow, but random effects.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the suggestions: found another in the MIC: Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance (side effects).

Should also work with a Book of Infinite Spells, to determine what spell appears next.

6. - Top - End - #6

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Would it extend to spell completion items like a Scroll of Prismatic Spray?
    I've asked this before and the answer I got was no. When a scroll, wand, staff, or potion is used it creates a spell effect, and you are considered to be the caster of the spell. It functions basically the same way as if you had cast the spell from your own spell list, barring variables like caster level built into the item. The effect of reproducing a particular spell is constant; the spell itself is random, and student of chaos doesn't allow you to roll twice of spell effects.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, there isn't as many "random" magic items in 3.5 as I thought there might be.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Are soulmelds count?
    If yes - lucky dice.
    Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

Ice for all and let no one be forgotten!
    Welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLIV: Ice-IX

Competition's medals.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Pipes of Frenzied Revelry can cause a Confusion effect: I wonder of that would count?

Also, found a few more: Scimitar of Colors (A&EG p.115).

Havoc Blade (A&EG p.110) [Confusion effect?].

Daoud’s Wondrous Lantern (A&EG p.149) [Prismatic Spray effect].

Fist of Emirikol. [effects]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hmm, there isn't as many "random" magic items in 3.5 as I thought there might be.
    Yeah, they get a bad rap 'cause they're usually bad and they stopped making them. Have you checked Magic of Faerun? There was a thread a while back about it and I seem to recall some bad random items mentioned.
    Pipes of Frenzied Revelry can cause a Confusion effect: I wonder of that would count?
    I would say no, since rather than it being an effect you produce which is random, it's essentially a status effect you put on someone (even if it's not on the official list of status effects and might have a slightly different table depending on version). For a character that could affect the rolling of any random magic they interact with, I could see them re-rolling when they are themselves confused, but I still wouldn't say they could affect the confusion roll for another character unless their ability allowed them to reroll any effect in range regardless of target or interaction.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

• Amulet of the Planes The user must make a DC 15 Intelligence check in order to get the amulet to take her to the plane (and the specific location on that plane) that she wants. If she fails, the amulet transports her and all those traveling with her to a random location on that plane (01-60 on d%) or to a random plane (61-100).
    • Bag of Tricks
    • Cubic Gate There is a 10% chance per minute that an outsider from that plane (determine randomly) comes through it looking for food, fun, or trouble.
    • Dagger of Chaos (Magic of Faerûn) It bears an unusual curse: If it successfully strikes a creature and inflicts damage, the wielder randomly assumes a new shape as if someone had successfully cast polymorph other on him. To determine the shape assumed, flip to a random page in the Monster Manual and select a creature whose form can be assumed with polymorph other.
    • Deck of Illusions, Planar (Planar Handbook)
    • Dislocator weapon
    • Door of Mirrors (Shining South) This type of doorway usually functions sporadically - one creature in four, once per day, or randomly (20% chance).
    • Electric Lash (Arms and Equipment Guide) If more than one creature is within 5 feet of the target, roll randomly to see which one is affected by the arc of electricity.
    • Great Dislocator weapon
    • Helm of Brilliance Remaining diamonds become prismatic sprays that each randomly target a creature within range (possibly the wearer)
    • Jumping Caltrop (Magic Item Compendium) if no targets are in their square, they move 5 feet toward the nearest enemy (chosen randomly if more than one is equidistant)
    • Maiming weapon (Miniatures Handbook)
    • Mirror of Life Trapping If the mirror’s capacity is exceeded, one victim (determined randomly) is set free in order to accommodate the latest one.
    • Ring of Whispered Thoughts (Lost Empires of Faerûn) the suggestion effect targets one randomly determined creature in the whispering wind’s area.
    • Rod of Wonder
    • Salvo poison (Complete Scoundrel)
    • Sparkstone (Arms and Equipment Guide) If more than one creature is within 5 feet of the target, roll randomly to see which one is affected by the arc of electricity.
    • Stasis Sphere (Silver Marches) By a second command, one imprisoned creature may be released. If the sphere’s master does not specify by name, type, or accurate physical description which creature is to be released, the sphere releases one imprisoned creature at random.
    • Tome of Ancient Lore (Magic Item Compendium) You have a 50% chance of finding any arcane spell of the highest level you can cast, and a 100% chance to find any other spell that you can cast.
    • Vilebiter Blade (Champions of Valor) redeemed Nightblade
    • Warpsword (Book of Vile Darkness) infects victim with warp touch - disease which cause random effects
    • Wheel of Fortune (Complete Scoundrel)

Artifacts:
    • Astrolabe of Nimbral (Shining South) To properly understand and control the Astrolabe, the user must make a DC 30 Intelligence check. A character gains a +2 bonus on this check for every 5 ranks in Spellcraft and Knowledge (arcana) he has. Failure by 4 or less indicates the destination is off by 5d10×10 miles; failure by 5 or more means the destination is randomly determined.
    • Codex of the Infinite Planes choose the power learned randomly
    • Crystal Tear (Frostburn) If the melted tear is imbibed before it evaporates, it grants a +4 inherent bonus to one of the drinker's ability scores. The exact score to which the bonus is applied is determined randomly, although it does not apply to a score that already possesses an inherent bonus.
    • Ring of Gaxx (Epic Level Handbook) The wearer of the Ring of Gaxx can, with a great deal of mental exertion, attempt to change the active facet away from one he does not desire. This requires a full-round action and a Concentration check (DC 50), and deals 2d6 points of subdual damage regardless of success. If the save is successful, the new facet is determined randomly.
    • Sphere of Annihilation Should a gate spell be cast upon a sphere of annihilation, there is a 50% chance (01-50 on d%) that the spell destroys it, a 35% chance (51-85) that the spell does nothing, and a 15% chance (86-100) that a gap is torn in the spatial fabric, catapulting everything within a 180-foot radius into another plane.

Cursed items - mitigate the Uncontrolled or/and Unreliable aspects

Also, all the various "randomly generated ... have ...% chance to ..." - allow to either improve your loot instantly and for free, or get rid of less desirable items
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2021-12-19 at 10:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks everyone, especially you Shurkvich.