New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.

Previous Thread Found Here
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-12-14 at 08:08 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: 3d12+1

Q 1 wouldn’t this be thread number 37?
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: 3d12+1

A 1

This is the errata to the old thread. Any answers given here that contradict answers given in the old #36 take precedence.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

4. - Top - End - #4

Chimera

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q 2 Are there any feats that give SLA's that scale with character level and don't have an obnoxious feat tax? I know some of them from the fearun books are two feat long chains but preferably i'd like to only take one. I need a caster level for a class that (technically) doesn't have one so i can qualify for some item creation feats and misc other thigs.

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

5. - Top - End - #5

A 2 partial

• Truebond (DMG2 232) grants you a funky restricted SLA that has "caster level equals your character level", but it's tied to a funky sort-of item creation substitute system
    • Aberrant Dragonmark (ECS 47) grants an SLA with CL=half character level, also has some race constraints but pretty broad availability
    • Races of Faerun has a couple of race-restricted feats that grant SLAs "with a caster level equal to your character level"
    • Godsight (Lost Empires of Faerun 8) is a regional feat that grants a few SLAs with CL=character level

That said, if all you need is caster level, supernatural abilities that don't explicitly specify a caster level are pretty easy to come by and
    Quote Originally Posted by MM 315
    Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice.
    so unless we're talking something like straight human rogue entry chameleon, you probably qualify for item creation feats anyway.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A2a (additional) Aside form sreservoir's answers, you can also get this through any sp or su ability you get through race which doesn't otherwise specify a CL. One way I often like to do this is with silverbrow human's racial feather fall ability, for example, but many alternatives exist.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #7

Q 3

The spell mnemonic enhancer is part of the Spell Domain (Spell Compendium), meaning it's accessible to a cleric.

Since there is no precision that the spells concerned need to be arcane, when using the "Prepare" option...

A) ...a cleric can prepare any level 0-3 cleric spells he can cast normally (i.e. by praying at noon/dusk) at any time of the day, right?

B) Likewise, an archivist who transcribed the spell can prepare any level 0-3 divine spells in her prayerbook, correct?

C) In the case of a multiclassed character (let's say, a Wizard/Archivist), can she prepare a mix of divine/arcane spells with a unique casting of mnemonic enhancer? (For example, a 2nd-level divine spell and a 1st-level arcane spell.)
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

A3a Yes
    A3b Yes
    A3c As long as you stuck to what you could prepare normally (i.e. wizard spells in wizard slots, archivist spells in archivist slots) yes.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q4a

Is there actually a requirement that paladins need to have a patron deity or ideal like clerics?

Q4b

Are there any rules governing losing the benefits of a base-class substitution level if you lose the prerequisites?
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Q 2 Are there any feats that give SLA's that scale with character level and don't have an obnoxious feat tax? I know some of them from the fearun books are two feat long chains but preferably i'd like to only take one. I need a caster level for a class that (technically) doesn't have one so i can qualify for some item creation feats and misc other thigs.
    A2 Additional

As far as I'm aware, the easiest feat for this is the Born Under the X Moon line of feats from Dragon #340. They are 1st level only, but have no other prerequisites. Fell Conspiracy from Exemplars of Evil is a little more powerful, but requires Knowledge (religion).

However, the fastest option is Celestial Scion from Dragon #315, which is taken at 1st level and immediately grants a flat caster level of 16 for House Naelax's modified true seeing ability. This allows item creation feats to be taken much earlier than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Q4a

Is there actually a requirement that paladins need to have a patron deity or ideal like clerics?
    No.

Q4b

Are there any rules governing losing the benefits of a base-class substitution level if you lose the prerequisites?
    No.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2021-12-16 at 03:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 5: With regards to the rules presented in the PHB for rogue sneak attack, FAQ/Rules Compendium covering the type of damage sneak is once the base attack generating is a different type (like sneak attacking with ray of frost), and the rules regarding the Ethereal Plane and the effects that can cross between the Material and Ethereal, my question is this:

Can a rogue, who is blinking from having activated a ring of blinking, still deal sneak attack damage to a Material opponent, if his attack would hit AC but missed due to blink’s misschance, IF said rogue has the Screaming property on his weapon? (+1d4 sonic damage) Thereby causing his sneak attack to be all sonic damage.

Q 5b Do Sonic attacks cross from Ethereal to Material or did I read it wrong?

-brain hurts

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

A 5 No
    A 5b Still no

Iron Chef Medals!

13. - Top - End - #13

Chimera

Q 6 What feat and skills are used for crafting magical traps? Yeah I know they aren’t meant to be for player use, at least not for how people actually use them, but what feats would a NPC need to make a mag I’ll trap? Just Craft Wondrous Item or something else?
    Last edited by Jervis; 2021-12-18 at 01:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q7

Tripping and grappling describe how making an unarmed touch attack incurs an attack of opportunity.

The mechanics for casting a touch spell describe how that touch is considered armed with the spell, and so doesn't incur the AoO.

Improved Unarmed Strike states:

You are considered to be armed even when unarmed — that is, you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from armed opponents when you attack them while unarmed.
    Does this mean that you would not incur attacks of opportunities when making any melee touch attacks?

I'm confused because Improved Grapple states in its benefit that it negates the AoO, even though it requires Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite. Do the benefits overlap, or have I read IUS wrongly?
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2021-12-18 at 10:59 AM.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Q7

Tripping and grappling describe how making an unarmed touch attack incurs an attack of opportunity.

The mechanics for casting a touch spell describe how that touch is considered armed with the spell, and so doesn't incur the AoO.

Improved Unarmed Strike states:

Does this mean that you would not incur attacks of opportunities when making any melee touch attacks?

I'm confused because Improved Grapple states in its benefit that it negates the AoO, even though it requires Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite. Do the benefits overlap, or have I read IUS wrongly?
    Here's the relevant rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC 126
    If you hold the charge of a touch spell, you can make a normal unarmed attack or an attack with a natural weapon at a later time. In this case, you’re considered armed only if your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. Otherwise, you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal.
    Grappling or tripping would both be examples of normal unarmed attacks for this purpose.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q8
    I sure Shadowcaster can take the same mistery more than once, but I can't find proof. Ask help
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-12-18 at 05:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Chimera

A 8 you can

Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Magic
    You can learn a mystery more than once. Each time you relearn a mystery, you gain another set of uses of that mystery per day.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2021-12-18 at 11:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Chimera

Q 9 Is there a spell, feat, or any similar rule that lets a player create a unique non-construct creature? I know Effigy + Incarnate construct can kinda do that but i’m looking for a way to make a creature in the vein of a Owlbear or something that’s obedient

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Q 9 Is there a spell, feat, or any similar rule that lets a player create a unique non-construct creature? I know Effigy + Incarnate construct can kinda do that but i’m looking for a way to make a creature in the vein of a Owlbear or something that’s obedient
    You might be interested in beget bogun and create lantern archon.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q10
    Shadowcaster again.
    Can I select second level mystery in one path more times than I select first level mystery in this path?
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-12-19 at 03:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q11: if you cast a (greater) dispel magic targeted on someone protected by spell turning, the dispel magic is bounced back like any other targeted spell, right? the only way to dispel a spell turning is to cast the area dispel and hope to get lucky - or use the more powerful disjunction.
    am i right? there was some doubt at my table last time
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q12

When using Reincarnate, you benefit from an entirely new body.

"Since the dead creature is returning in a new body, all physical ills and afflictions are repaired."
    My question is: how does this interact with templates? Do you keep the benefits of them, or lose them? If you lose them, do you lose the LA associated with them?
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    Q11: if you cast a (greater) dispel magic targeted on someone protected by spell turning, the dispel magic is bounced back like any other targeted spell, right? the only way to dispel a spell turning is to cast the area dispel and hope to get lucky - or use the more powerful disjunction.
    am i right? there was some doubt at my table last time
    There's a limit to how many spell levels it can turn, so your dispel might exhaust it anyway, and there are other ways to get around it besides the two you listed (such as using a supernatural or touch-range dispel effect), but otherwise, yes, a targeted dispel will be reflected. Spell turning is a great way to protect your buffstacks.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Q13 What is the caster level of Alternate Form (for the Force Shapechange ability of a 6th level Church Inquisitor). If a Church Inquisitor smacks a silver dragon who is in elf form, how much resistance does the silver dragon have to the attack?

Force Shapechange (Su): A church inquisitor of 6th level or higher can force a creature into its natural form. The church inquisitor must make a successful melee touch attack against the creature. If the attack is successful, the church inquisitor makes a caster level check as if casting dispel magic against the shapechanging effect. The church inquisitor’s +4 bonus on dispel checks (the Inquisition domain granted power) applies to this check. This ability undoes the effect of alter self, polymorph, shapechange, and alternate form abilities, whether exceptional, spell-like, or supernatural in nature. The affected creature cannot change its shape again for 1d6 rounds. The church inquisitor can use this ability at will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispel Magic; Targeted Dispel
    One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Q14

Do racial classes also get feats every three levels, or only if the table explicitly says so? For example, if I wanted to take the Draconic Racial Class from Races of the Dragon (p. 70/71) it is my understanding I can pick a class level and have to progress to the Draconic template on the next level up (so now I am a Lvl1 [class] with an ECL of 2). If I then decide to progress towards the half-dragon template with my next level up and now have an ECL of 3, do I get to pick a feat?
    Last edited by Painfool; 2021-12-19 at 11:37 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    Q13 What is the caster level of Alternate Form (for the Force Shapechange ability of a 6th level Church Inquisitor). If a Church Inquisitor smacks a silver dragon who is in elf form, how much resistance does the silver dragon have to the attack?
    If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature's hit dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Painfool View Post
    Q14

Do racial classes also get feats every three levels, or only if the table explicitly says so? For example, if I wanted to take the Draconic Racial Class from Races of the Dragon (p. 70/71) it is my understanding I can pick a class level and have to progress to the Draconic template on the next level up (so now I am a Lvl1 [class] with an ECL of 2). If I then decide to progress towards the half-dragon template with my next level up and now have an ECL of 3, do I get to pick a feat?
    Feats are granted every 3 HD, not every 3rd ECL. Level adjustments, including those level adjustments contained within racial classes, do not count for this purpose.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default So I heard you like Magic Items

I saw a comment about a build where a person used 2 pearls of of power as the eyes in a stylized magic cane, and I have to ask are there rules for this?

Does sticking a magic item into/onto another magic item just count as "Enhancing" a previous magic item, would the value of the item being added count as the GP cost? Would this require an XP expenditure as normal?

Edit: Q15. Derp
    Last edited by Promethean; 2021-12-20 at 06:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Chimera

Default Re: So I heard you like Magic Items

Quote Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
    I saw a comment about a build where a person used 2 pearls of of power as the eyes in a stylized magic cane, and I have to ask are there rules for this?

Does sticking a magic item into/onto another magic item just count as "Enhancing" a previous magic item, would the value of the item being added count as the GP cost? Would this require an XP expenditure as normal?
    A 15 since these items are slotless that is largely cosmetic and thus has essentially no additional cost. At most you could argue that, if the cane has some magical effects, that there would be a 50% increase in the PoP’s cost but honestly there isn’t much of a difference here.

A 10 there are no rules saying one way or the other so you should be able to take them as much as you want assuming you met the prerequisite once
    Last edited by Jervis; 2021-12-20 at 05:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Q 16

Some feats (such as Precocious Apprentice) can be taken only by a first-level character. This is, however, usually mentioned in the "special" section and not the "prerequisite" section.

I have seen this fact used to argue that you can use the retraining rules to exchange at a later level a feat taken at character level 1 for any of these first-level character feat, since this aspect not being a "prerequisite" per se, it isn't concerned by this rule:

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook II
    If the new feat has prerequisites, not only must your character meet them in his current state, but you must be able to show that he met at the time you chose the previous feat.
    Is this actually correct by RAW?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-12-20 at 05:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature