New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Quote Originally Posted by Painfool View Post
    Q114

If I have a bite, two claws, and a tail, then make a full attack - do I make four attacks in total (so one for each claw), or do they count as a single attack?
    Four.

Furthermore, can I decide which natural weapon is my "primary" in regards to which of them should enjoy the full attack bonus?
    No.

Lastly, do the two claws and a tail already allow me to pick the Multiattack feat
    Yes.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    No.
    Is there a definite order of primary attacks, or how does it get decided?

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a definite order of primary attacks, or how does it get decided?
    A 115
    Natural attacks will say whether they are primary or secondary.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2022-03-29 at 01:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 115
    Natural attacks will say whether they are primary or secondary.
    Additionally, if they don't say (as a lot of bonus attacks don't) then they are secondary.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2022-03-29 at 02:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

(Sorry that I have to ask so many questions, would it be better to just edit my first question?)

Q116

So let's say I'm a Favoured of Tiamat (Dragon Magic, p. 13). I grow claws, and the text says "As a full round attack, you can make one primary natural attack with each of your two extremities[...]". I then later enter the Dragon Disciple prestige class and gain its bite attack. It says the DD uses his full attack bonus on his bite, and takes a -5 penalty on his claw attacks. Does this overwrite my previous claws' primary status? Because it would seem more advantageous to gain the full bonus on both claw attacks instead of just the singular bite.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

No, making a new question when you have a new question is correct protocol. Please do not answer earlier questions. People will see it's been answered already and not know you've changed it.

A 116

You can either do bite at full and each claw at -5, or use your full attack to get both claws at full sans bite. It would be ideal to get 2 claws as primary and bite as secondary, but that's not how this specific interaction plays out.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 117

A spell immunity protects you against some specified spells, which must be 4th level or lower.

My guess is, for the purpose of choosing which spells are adequate, this spell level is the most common one for standard classes (mostly wizards and clerics), but...

A) What happens if a character is protected against a spell that's 4th-level on the wizard spell list, but is targeted by a spellcaster from another class for whom this specific spell is 5th level? Does spell immunity still block it?

Also, as with most spells working on a spell-level limit, it must be the effective spell level, thus ignoring metamagic modifiers, but...

B) What happens if the effective level of the spell in question has been boosted above 5th by Heighten Spell? Again, does spell immunity still block it?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-03-29 at 04:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #278
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q118. Ok, i have an epic Wizard with Multispell x2. He uses an Immediate action out of his own turn. When his turn arrives, will he still have 2 swift actions or will the immediate action eat them all?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 119

Spellfire is affected by spells and magic items that affect spell-like abilities, and sometimes those spells/magic items care about spell level, what is the default rule for adjucating the spell level of a Supernatural ability that has no equivalent spell effect?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q120
    If I prepare a chained twinned spell, how will the spell work? Do I cast a double chained spell? Or the second spell (coming from the twinned spell metamagic feats) will be cast as a normal one (thus without the chained spell metamagic feat)?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q 121

Does the Humanoid Shape invocation change type for it's duration?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 117

A spell immunity protects you against some specified spells, which must be 4th level or lower.

My guess is, for the purpose of choosing which spells are adequate, this spell level is the most common one for standard classes (mostly wizards and clerics), but...

A) What happens if a character is protected against a spell that's 4th-level on the wizard spell list, but is targeted by a spellcaster from another class for whom this specific spell is 5th level? Does spell immunity still block it?

Also, as with most spells working on a spell-level limit, it must be the effective spell level, thus ignoring metamagic modifiers, but...

B) What happens if the effective level of the spell in question has been boosted above 5th by Heighten Spell? Again, does spell immunity still block it?
    There are basically three valid interpretations of the spell. Either the 4th level limit applies to choosing the spell, to blocking the spell, or to both. Any of them would be consistent with RAW; it's up to the DM to adjudicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitoshura View Post
    Q118. Ok, i have an epic Wizard with Multispell x2. He uses an Immediate action out of his own turn. When his turn arrives, will he still have 2 swift actions or will the immediate action eat them all?
    Multispell is a 3.0 feat that predates the existence of swift and immediate actions. When it was first printed, quickened spells were free actions, and the "You may cast only one quickened spell per round" text in the feat was the only limitation. Multispell removes that limitation, but because the rules changed around it, some revision is needed in order to make it function under 3.5 rules. Most likely, it would either allow you an extra swift action that can only be used on a quickened spell, or it would make your second quickened spell each round a free action instead of a swift. In the first case, it would be compatible with immediate actions; in the second case, it would not. Up to the DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Q 119

Spellfire is affected by spells and magic items that affect spell-like abilities, and sometimes those spells/magic items care about spell level, what is the default rule for adjucating the spell level of a Supernatural ability that has no equivalent spell effect?
    They don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrark View Post
    Q120
    If I prepare a chained twinned spell, how will the spell work? Do I cast a double chained spell? Or the second spell (coming from the twinned spell metamagic feats) will be cast as a normal one (thus without the chained spell metamagic feat)?
    The second spell will also be chained.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 121

Does the Humanoid Shape invocation change type for it's duration?
    No. You retain the type and subtype of your original form, per the Change Shape rules.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The second spell will also be chained.
    i have my doubts because for an empowered, maximized spell the extra damage dice are not maximized - as in, the maximized effect only applies to the core spell, not the extra effect for the metamagic feat.
    so, why in this case it should work differently, with the twin effect applying to the core spell and also to the chain extra metamagic effect?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    i have my doubts because for an empowered, maximized spell the extra damage dice are not maximized - as in, the maximized effect only applies to the core spell, not the extra effect for the metamagic feat.
    so, why in this case it should work differently, with the twin effect applying to the core spell and also to the chain extra metamagic effect?
    A 122
    It's what the feat says. Why is it Fell Frighten stacks with other fear effects but Fearsome Necromancy doesn't? Because they're different feats. I don't know what to tell you. 🤷

15. - Top - End - #285

Q 123
    do creatures with a natural poison ability have a limit to the amount of times they can apply it with a bite?

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

A 123 If it is not mentioned, then no. A viper, for example, can bite and dispense poison an indefinite amount of times per day.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

17. - Top - End - #287
    Pixie in the Playground

Been a while since I've played 3.5 and needed the info, and it's a little hard to figure out for me because of my meds. So I apologize if this comes across as dumb, but I have a quick question.

If I combine an INT bonus, and a CHA bonus on the same item, is it 50% more, a 25% discount, or just flat? I know that it will either cost 3500, 4000, or 5000, but no idea which

5 out of 5 dentists reccommend no DIY oral surgery

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KaNT View Post
    Been a while since I've played 3.5 and needed the info, and it's a little hard to figure out for me because of my meds. So I apologize if this comes across as dumb, but I have a quick question.

If I combine an INT bonus, and a CHA bonus on the same item, is it 50% more, a 25% discount, or just flat? I know that it will either cost 3500, 4000, or 5000, but no idea which

A 124

Normally, combining two items in the same slot adds 50% to the cost of the cheaper item. However, Magic Item Compendium adds a special rule for adding common magic item effects to existing items. As long as the item in question occupies the correct body slot, the 50% surcharge is waived. Ability enhancements are on the list of common effects, so if you put a +2 enhancement bonus to both Charisma and Intelligence into a head slot item, they each cost +4,000 gp, for a total of +8,000 gp, which could be a standalone item (headband of intellect +2 and charisma +2) or an addition to some other head slot item (a hat of disguise and charisma +2 and intelligence +2 costs 1,800 + 4,000 + 4,000 = 9,800 gp).

19. - Top - End - #289

Q125

Can the energy substitution metamagic be used to change the energy resistance granted by the spell Heart of fire?
    Last edited by ciopo; 2022-04-08 at 10:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q125

Can the energy substitution metamagic be used to change the energy resistance granted by the spell Heart of fire?
    No, but it will change the damage dealt by the fire shield portion of the effect.

21. - Top - End - #291

Q126

What spells are there on the druid list that qualify for the use of the minor shapeshift reserve feat?

all updated to 3.5 sources

My own research on the topic only turned up shapechange, which doesn't seems right to me, I'm probably researching wrong

thanks!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q126

What spells are there on the druid list that qualify for the use of the minor shapeshift reserve feat?

all updated to 3.5 sources

My own research on the topic only turned up shapechange, which doesn't seems right to me, I'm probably researching wrong

thanks!
    You missed baleful polymorph and animal shapes, both of which were updated to the polymorph subschool in Rules Compendium.

23. - Top - End - #293

Chimera

Q 127 assuming the rule that weapons can count as different weapons of a larger or smaller size (example a medium longsword is also a large short sword and small greatsword) is in play, is there any issue with a huge creature duel wielding two medium great swords as weapons?
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

24. - Top - End - #294
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q 128

During my turn, can I take a 5-foot step to go away from melee range (assuming no reach weapon or similar) and then cast a spell that takes only one standard or a full-round (with meta-magic for instance) without suffering attacks of opportunities?
    Last edited by Nelfin; 2022-04-11 at 04:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 128 Yes you can, if your opponent doesn't have a way to threaten the new square in which you're in (such as if they are Large).
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 127 The 3.0 rule of "all bigger weapons are just scaled-up versions of lighter weapons" can indeed be extrapolated to all size categories. A Medium greatsword is a Large weapon (or two-handed, if you're using 3.5 wording), so it is one size smaller than itself for a Huge Giant (the equivalent of a light weapon in 3.5). Hence, the Huge Giant can dual-wield Medium greatswords without incurring a malus beyond the regular -2/-2 (if it has TWF, of course).
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q129 Would a Dragonfire Adept's breath weapon benefit from the damage buff given by a Knowledge Devotion roll?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Q129 Would a Dragonfire Adept's breath weapon benefit from the damage buff given by a Knowledge Devotion roll?
    Yes. Knowledge Devotion applies to all damage rolls.

29. - Top - End - #299

Q 130

An attended object receives a saving throw with the same bonus as its owner when targeted by a spell.

Conscious characters have the possibility to automatically fail a saving throw if they desire so.

A) Can a character decide to wave the saving throw of an item in his or her possession when it is targeted by a spell?

B) Would a magic item still roll its saving throw as if unattended in this case?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-04-13 at 03:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #300

Chimera

Q 131 If you were attacking a flat footed creature, would you be able to add sneak attack and Iaijutsu focus damage dice to the Hideous Blow invocation attack damage? Also as a tangent, I know it doesn’t work this way RAI, but can you just add Iaijutsu focus damage dice to Eldritch Blast if you draw a melee weapon before hand? (Yes I am trying to add sneak attack, Iaijutsu, and EB to the same character)
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-04-14 at 01:10 AM.