New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q157 Craft magical arms and armor:
    Does the CL requirement for an enh count only the upgrade you want to add to an armor or the entire thing?
    Example: A LV7 cleric wants to empower his +2 sword to a +2 flaming sword. Can he do it?
    Do I count the entire enh value of the final item (+3) for what CL he has to be (x3 = CL9) or only the +1 value that he wants to add?
    + There are effects you can add that dont count towards the enh value and only list a price, I think you can add these no problem.

B) The rules say that if you add something to an item with a specific body slot, the cost goes up by 50%. That doesnt include armor, right?
    Last edited by Bobur; 2022-05-07 at 04:04 AM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    156. Grapple attempt is attack. As many attacks as many attempts. FoB, TWF, Haste, anything.
    156. Yes.
    I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but is there any RAW that you could provide that supports this? Because I have not been able to find any.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 157
    1. It only counts the actual enhancement bonus, not the special properties. A +2 Merciful sword requires only CL 6, even though Merciful is a +1 enhancement. Of course, a +2 Flaming sword still requires CL 10, since Flaming requires CL 10 on its own. However, you count all of the final weapon requirements. Merciful on its own only requires CL 5, but improving a +2 weapon to a +2 Merciful weapon requires CL 6, since +2 requires CL 6.

2. This is only a guideline as to how to create magic items beyond those printed in the books. Ignore this when considering existing special properties, such as flaming.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-05-07 at 08:02 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q156: How many times in a turn can a Monk make Grapple attempts? Are they limited to a number of grapple attempts equal to attacks granted by their actual base attack bonus, or is Grapple attempts likewise affected by Flurry of Blows, granting extra attempts at same modifiers?

Q157: Can you make a Grapple attempt as an Attack of Opportunity?
    Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    156. Grapple attempt is attack. As many attacks as many attempts. FoB, TWF, Haste, anything.
    156. Yes.
    I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but is there any RAW that you could provide that supports this? Because I have not been able to find any.
    A 156 Yes, this is an explicit rule.

There is a rule that defines starting a grapple as an attack -- that is, an iterative attack that you can make more than once as part of a full attack action if you qualify. The rule appears here.

Starting a grapple requires a successful melee attack roll. If you get multiple attacks, you can attempt to start a grapple multiple times (at successively lower base attack bonuses).

A 157 No, there is no explicit rule, but it's probably implied that you can make a grapple attack as an attack of opportunity.

The rules say explicitly only this: An attack of opportunity is a single mêlée attack.

But the rules also imply that some special attacks are mêlée attacks. This is true of the disarm attack, the grapple attack, the sunder attack, and the trip attack.

Other special attacks are not mêlée attacks. The aid another attack is a standard action, the charge attack is a full-round action, the feint attack is a standard action, the overrun attack is a standard action that you take during a standard move, and turning or rebuking undead is a standard action.

The bull rush attack is confusingly called "a standard action (an attack)." A strong reason why you can't make a bull rush attack as an attack of opportunity is that a bull rush always requires you to move at least five feet, which you can't do as part of an attack of opportunity.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2022-05-07 at 03:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/act...laneousActions

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Ah! Thanks! That slipped past my attention.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q 158

Are there any official NPC classes besides Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, Magewright and Warrior?

I vaguely remember a psionic version of Adept, but it may have been homebrew or 3rd party...

8. - Top - End - #368

Q 159

A couple questions about the fleshgrinding magic weapon property. Please note there are two versions, one from the Book of Vile Darkness, which is 3.0, and one from the Magic Item Compendium, which being 3.5 takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Book of Vile Darkness
    When this piercing or slashing melee weapon deals damage to a living creature, the wielder may
    command the weapon to “grind” as a free action. At that time, the wielder lets go of the weapon and it continues, magically
    animated, to grind itself into the foe’s flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Item Compendium
    You can activate a fleshgrinding weapon any time you deal damage with it to a living creature in melee. When this occurs, you let go of the weapon and it magically animates, grinding itself into the foe’s flesh.
    A) The original version required a free action; this meant the "grinding" couldn't be activated with a strike from an attack of opportunity, since free actions can't be taken out of turn, correct?

B) The newer version, however, have no such limitation, no mention being made of a free action. Thus it can be used with attacks of opportunity, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Item Compendium
    In each round at the start of your turn, it automatically damages that creature as if you had scored a normal hit with it (including
    damage from the weapon’s enhancement bonus, other weapon properties, and your normal bonus from Strength, but not extra damage from feats such as Power Attack).
    C) What if the fleshgrinding weapon (likely a dagger) is used as an off-hand weapon while dual-wielding? For the initial attack, the Strength bonus is halved, but is it still halved for the subsequent "grinding" damage (which says "normal bonus from Strength")?

D) Thinking about it, does that mean a two-handed fleshgrinding weapon would also only get normal Strength bonus damage in this case, not ×1.5?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-05-09 at 05:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 159 A) and B) In 3.0 (including BoVD), you could take a free action out of turn if the effect said so (see the initial wording of Feather Fall). This is the same with a grinding weapon. Both versions can (or could, in the BoVD case) be used with AoO.

C and D) The "normal" strength bonus is the strength bonus you would get by simply wielding the weapon normally. You get the x1 Str bonus from a light or one-handed weapon, and x1.5 for a two-handed weapon.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Q 160

A vampire has the charge held on a Shocking Grasp spell. He then touches an enemy with his energy draining touch attack. Does this also discharge the Shocking Grasp (i.e. the enemy suffers both the energy drain and electricity damage as part of the same attack)?

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 160

A vampire has the charge held on a Shocking Grasp spell. He then touches an enemy with his energy draining touch attack. Does this also discharge the Shocking Grasp (i.e. the enemy suffers both the energy drain and electricity damage as part of the same attack)?
    A 160
    Yes. You can combine a touch spell which you're holding the charge with any kind of bare-handed or natural attack. An unarmed strike, a grapple attempt, an unarmed trip attack, even the "blind reaching out over two squares to find out if there's an invisible enemy here". As long as you touch an opponent, it discharges the touch spell. A vampire slam attack is no exception, and both spell and energy draining will be combined.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #372

Q 161

A wizard casts imbue familiar with spell ability on his familiar. As specified, "This spell allows you to transfer a number of your spells and the ability to cast them into your familiar." (emphasis mine)

During the duration of the previous spell, he same wizard then casts Tenser's transformation on himself, while taking care to not affect the familiar too. As specified, "Your mind-set changes so that you relish combat and you can't cast spells, even from magic items."

This doesn't stop in any way the familiar from still casting the imbued spells, right?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 163

How to set traps? Where are the rules for it? What checks you need? How long it take to set?
    I mean: for immobile traps - like a pit trap - it may be Craft (traps); but what's about the portable mechanical traps, which you don't need to craft from the scratch and just carrying around in your inventory...

Q 164

Martial arts styles from Oriental Adventures:
    a) Table 6–1: Martial Arts Feats - does it have any mechanical meaning?
    b) Are Martial Arts Style Mastery feats, or do you get them automatically once you met the prerequisites? I mean - Empty Hand Mastery have six feats as the prerequisites; without bonus feats or flaws, you would qualify for it closer to the very end of the PC's whole career, and spend on it all the feats...

Q 165
    Quote Originally Posted by Libris Mortis
    Psychic Vampire
    A psychic vampire drains a victimÂ’s mental strength, rather than physical health.
    Special Attacks: Wisdom Drain (Su): With a successful touch attack or slam attack, a psychic vampire drains 1d6 points of Wisdom from the target, and simultaneously gains 5 temporary hit points that last for up to 1 hour. It can do this once per round. In addition, each living creature within 10 feet of a psychic vampire takes 1 point of Wisdom drain per round (Will negates; DC 10 + 1/2 vampireÂ’s HD + vampire's Cha modifier). A psychic vampire does not gain any temporary hit points from this effect. A psychic vampire can suppress or reactivate its Wisdom-draining aura as a standard action.
    A psychic vampire does not have the vampire's energy drain ability.
    Question: if Psychic Vampire does not have the vampire's energy drain ability - then are they able to produce spawns? How?
    I know Tarus - in the Tarus's Banquet adventure - has spawns, but he also has Energy Drain (somehow)...

14. - Top - End - #374

Q166

Can Neanderthals, Illumians and other humanoid races that have the subtype (human) take able learner?

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 160
    Yes. You can combine a touch spell which you're holding the charge with any kind of bare-handed or natural attack. An unarmed strike, a grapple attempt, an unarmed trip attack, even the "blind reaching out over two squares to find out if there's an invisible enemy here". As long as you touch an opponent, it discharges the touch spell. A vampire slam attack is no exception, and both spell and energy draining will be combined.
    Thanks.

OK, that probably wasn't a great example, I forgot vampires deliver negative levels by slam, rather than a touch attack.

The gist of my question was can two touch attacks (energy drain and Shocking Grasp) be delivered in the same action/touch?

Q 167

A character with levels in Soul Eater has the charge held on a Shocking Grasp spell. He then touches an enemy with his energy draining touch attack. Does this also discharge the Shocking Grasp (i.e. the enemy suffers both the energy drain and electricity damage as part of the same attack)?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q166

Can Neanderthals, Illumians and other humanoid races that have the subtype (human) take able learner?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Thanks.

OK, that probably wasn't a great example, I forgot vampires deliver negative levels by slam, rather than a touch attack.

The gist of my question was can two touch attacks (energy drain and Shocking Grasp) be delivered in the same action/touch?

Q 167

A character with levels in Soul Eater has the charge held on a Shocking Grasp spell. He then touches an enemy with his energy draining touch attack. Does this also discharge the Shocking Grasp (i.e. the enemy suffers both the energy drain and electricity damage as part of the same attack)?
    Yes.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q168. If my Factotum with Brains Over Brawn is affected by a Marshall with Motivate Intelligence, will it apply to all the skills affected by Brains Over Brawn? In other words, will 'Acrobatics' become an "Intelligence-based skill check"?
    Last edited by Hitoshura; 2022-05-16 at 06:46 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

A 168 No.

There would've maybe been an argument to be made if Int replaced Dex and Str, perhaps. However, it simply gives you a bonus. That doesn't make it anymore Int based than martial itself makes skills Cha based.

Also, there is no skill called acrobatics in 3.5.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Q 169

Is there any indication that undead are always supposed to be immune to hp damage from negative energy, or that they're always supposed to be healed rather than harmed by it? The SRD only says "Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures", not that it necessarily does -- and the mechanics of chill touch would certainly seem to suggest it's not always the case.

At a glance, black sand and the dark tide spell appear to harm undead exactly as they do living creatures.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

A 169 No. Your reading is correct. There is surprisingly no general rule that negative energy heals undead. Almost every effect which deals negative energy damage will have this caveat in there (such as the inflict line) but there are pockets where they forget to do it.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

21. - Top - End - #381

A 169 addendum
    https://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm
    The type itself says "Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score."

I don't interpret that "can heal" as "sometimes it does", but an action verb, like "it can be healed with negative energy"
    Last edited by ciopo; 2022-05-17 at 01:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Q/A 169
    Note: Entropic Creature template (Planar Handbook) grants Negative Energy Aura, which damages living creatures, but have no effect on Undead...

23. - Top - End - #383

Q170
    Can creatures hostile to the caster enter a tiny hut?
    Can incorporeal creatures cross the boundary of a tiny hut?

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A170 Yes - a tiny hut provides no physical barrier except to weather (and arguably to the 10th medium creature trying to enter it).

25. - Top - End - #385

Q171

Is all that's needed to use a wand "having it in class"? no caster level, no minimum ability score? or do they inherit the scroll limitations? Does a 1st level ranger need to make a caster level check to use a wand of (something rangery) ? or is that only a scroll thing?

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

A 171 Yes. No. No. No. No. No.

You need the minimum cl (or to make a cl check) for spell completion items like scrolls. Wands are spell trigger items, so you only need to have the spell on your list to use it. You can explicitly use wands if you lack the cl and even if you can't cast spells at all as long as it's on your list.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Q 172

Are the Prestigious Character Classes eligible to take ACFs listed for regular Bards, Rangers and Paladins?

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Q 173

When a sha'ir retrieves a spell from a domain list, is it a divine spell? Not subject to ASF, subject to Divine Denial feat, qualifies for entry into divine spellcasting PrCs, et cetera?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 172
    No, they're not the same classes.

A 173
    "A sha'ir is capable of extraordinarily versatile spellcasting because he can use arcane spells as well as a limited selection of divine spells."
    Yes, they are divine spells.

30. - Top - End - #390

Q174

can a wand be used to craft another wand? assuming the relevant feat.

Specific examples: a sorcerer wanting to craft a wand of mage armor, while not having selected mage armor as one of his spell known. A wizard wanting to craft a wand of mage armor, while not having mage armor in his spellbook